• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Called Today Tips will not be cut out of DDP!~looks like they lied:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that most people who complain about service will do so towards the end of their meal.

This allows their server an opportunity to correct the problems. This also allows the meal to continue without further confrontations.

Complaining about the food should be done upon first inspection not upon completion.

I think that in the end, a lot of people will already feel they paid for the dining plan and won't tip. When you add a tip on top of the dining plan, it isn't nearly as good a deal anymore - which is why a lot of people get it to begin with. I personally would rather see them raise the DDP to $50 or so to include tips, to ensure that the servers don't get stiffed by this.

And it is important to keep in mind that they're all for the same thing: cost-of-service. Any of three approaches are valid: integrated into the menu price, covered through gratuity, and covered via a service charge.

Oh, yeah, totally I understand. I didn't mean to imply at all any were invalid. Just responding to someone's post about the various ways I've seen it listed on menus. The other poster mentioned WDW using terminology to make it clear to the patron that the tip/grat wouldn't be optional by using terms like "fee" or "service charge."

My mind's a bit mushy. Been listening to lawyers talk at 300 wpm all day. Just read through a few posts and hit "reply." Maybe next time I'll use the multiple quote feature, lol, so I make better sense :thumbsup2

As stated in past threads I, personally, would not mind being in control of my tipping. Take away the tip. I'm okay. Take away the tip AND raise the price of the dining plan and we may not use it - I honestly don't know until I see the facts - just the facts.

Agreed - will definetly have to see how this all pans out. Even now, we always tip above and beyond what is actually given to the servers (based upon total cost of food had we paid out of pocket) so I guess for us the tip wasn't a huge portion of the daily rate of the DDP. I guess I would still be willing to get the DDP if they DON'T raise the price but still take out the automatic gratuity.

as far as waiting to complain until the end of the meal rather than when you received the food, the following seems to be a fairly typical situation when dining at a restaurant in a busy lunch time -

2 friends and I visited applebees and were seated with a sign there about some guarantee (I dont remember the length) of when you would be served. We were seated with menus and told the server would be there soon. There were a total of 3 children under age 4 at the table. I scanned the menu trying to find what I could tollerate that didn't have cheese. the waitress hurriedly takes our order when we flag her down and rushes off. I full 45 minutes later, we receive our food but she has other peoples food to and leaves after putting down our plates. My meal had cheese on it. Now when it took 45 minutes to get our food there is no way I am going to wait for something else to be made...but I also am worried it was my mistake for not looking at the menu close enough. I ate it, but asked to see a menu the next time we saw the waitress...which was when she was trying to rush off after dropping off our check. She brings back the menu and sure enough what I ordered did not list chease as an ingredient. I mentioned it to her not really expecting anything, just letting her know that the menu does not say it includes cheese so maybe they can fix that before bringing it to someone else who truely can't eat cheese. She rolls her eyes at me and says well you ate it and abruptly turns to walk away. i stop her and tell her that I only ate it because I didnt want to have to wait so long to have something else brought as I'm sure the other diners wouldn't appreciate how fussy the children were going to be at being kept in the high chairs much longer. I also mention the time guarentee, the fact that she rushed off, and she didnt return for so long. She says just a minute and brings back the recipt showing the time she entered my order into the computer and does her own calculation of how long we had been eating and so she says that she met the guarentee and repeats that I ate the food. I asked for a manager at that point because of her attitude.

The entire time, I didn't want to cause trouble, I understand that mistakes happen, that they were very busy, and a misplated meal isn't necessarily her fault so the last thing I wanted to do was get her in trouble. But clearly like above posters she saw it as me trying to cheat the system since I had eaten the food. The fact that a diner would rather eat the poor food than endure a longer wait but doesn't think they should have to pay the full price when the wrong thing was brought or items were missing doesnt mean he is cheating. It sucks that there are so many people out there who cheat the system that an honest person is looked at as a cheater.

Once again, flame away if you'd like, but has anyone considered that maybe the reason for all of the proposed changes (both DDP, DDE and even room rate increases) is a result from so many people nickle & diming WDW to death? :rolleyes1
You're absolutely on-target.

Well, come on now. I'm not going to minimize, rationalize or excuse any guests' bad behavior (e.g., adult meals for kids' credits, phantom guests to get more free dining credits, etc.) but until somebody shows me some contradictory statistics, I'm pretty sure such behavior was isolated and the vast, vast majority of people obeyed the terms of the DDP to the letter. In fact, I'd speculate that any "loss" incurred due to dishonest guests was overwhelmingly outweighed by the "gain" in the value of DDP credits that were never redeemed.

In any event, the primary determinant of what Disney is going to charge is what the market will bear. They aren't shifting the responsibility for paying tips back over to the dining plan customer (to use one example of a rumored upcoming change) because they're getting nickel and dimed to death by too many guests ordering steak instead of chicken or splitting meals to maximize their credits. :charac2: They're doing it because they can, or at least they think they can. They believe they rather significantly underpriced the DDP. Perhaps they did so mistakenly, but that doesn't give their MBAs and CPAs very much credit, does it? I think it's quite plausible that they did so intentionally, as a way to get lots of formerly offsite lodgers to stay onsite (or to get onsite guests to come back more often) AND try out a new vacation element: everyday TS dining. And now that they have you, Mr. and Mrs. Consumer, hooked on staying onsite and eating TS everyday (don't forget, even though it's a "great deal," you pay a lot more for the DDP than you would if you ate CS all the time, which is how plenty of families do WDW) and loving the "convenience" of paying way in advance for your meals (it still floors me how much value some posters place on the "prepaid" factor, as if Disney is doing them a favor by depriving them of the use of their money for a couple months), they'll jack up the price to what they think you're really willing to pay. (Or effectively jack up the price by reducing the value of what you're getting in exchange for your money.) And let me be clear - there's nothing wrong with this IMO. WDW is a business. I just don't think we should delude ourselves into believing that the rumored changes to the dining plan could have been avoided if only a few rotten apples hadn't spoiled the party for everyone.

I'm a bit confused on the automatic 18 percent grat on parties of six or more.

Is this only for folks on the DDP or any party of six or more?

Pure curiosity here. I'm seeing theories being tossed around like you'll have to "settle up" at the front desk, your room key could be assessed, your park passes "frozen," but what about those of us that stay offsite and travel to dinner with friends at the World? My AP doesn't say anything in the fine print about my pass not working if I don't tip a mandatory 18 percent at a meal for parties of 6 (or 8 in the current case) or more.

Just to avoid any possible tempers, I'm a good tipper, but I thought I read somewhere that the mandatory 18 percent on parties of 6 or more was not DDP-related; that it was across the board for everyone.

Currently any party of 8 or more is auto Grat 18%, Come Jan 1st 08 any party 6 or more will be 18%, and any table that is using the 20% off DDE card will be applied 18% on the first total regardless of party size

6. In situations where our guests refuse to comply with our policy, it will be the responsibility of the service person to locate a Manager prior to the guests leaving the restaurant so that Management can speak with the guests. If the service person fails to involve a Manager in the situation prior to the guests departing the restaurant, or receives discipline for poor service, the Company will not be responsible for the difference between what the guest left and eighteen percent (18%) of the guest's food and beverage total.

So, if you recieve poor service and call the manager over, you can pay less than the 18% "service charge".

12. An eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be added for all package plans, supplemental Food and /or Beverage purchased and consumed by the guest covered by the package plan, and Company sponsored discounts. The service charge will be based on the total charges before any discounts have been applied. This provision does not apply to Disney Dining Experience and Disney Vacation Club. This change will phase into current packages through 2006.

DVC? So if you are staying in a DVC resort they won't charge you the 18%?

Currently There is Not auto grat on the DVC 10% discount, and 20% DDE Card unless your a party of 8 or more... The DVC members get a iscount in some places, and so does annual pass holders

They believe they rather significantly underpriced the DDP. Perhaps they did so mistakenly, but that doesn't give their MBAs and CPAs very much credit, does it? I think it's quite plausible that they did so intentionally, as a way to get lots of formerly offsite lodgers to stay onsite (or to get onsite guests to come back more often) AND try out a new vacation element: everyday TS dining. And now that they have you, Mr. and Mrs. Consumer, hooked on staying onsite and eating TS everyday (don't forget, even though it's a "great deal," you pay a lot more for the DDP than you would if you ate CS all the time, which is how plenty of families do WDW) and loving the "convenience" of paying way in advance for your meals (it still floors me how much value some posters place on the "prepaid" factor, as if Disney is doing them a favor by depriving them of the use of their money for a couple months), they'll jack up the price to what they think you're really willing to pay. (Or effectively jack up the price by reducing the value of what you're getting in exchange for your money.) And let me be clear - there's nothing wrong with this IMO. WDW is a business.

I tend to agree with you. I do believe that Disney was using the plan to entice off site guests to fill their resort rooms and patronize their restaurants and it worked. The plan, in combination with ME, was an effective way to discourage customers from spending their vacation dollars in area attractions and Orlando eateries.

I also believe that Disney is a business and can raise the price of it's products to what the market will bear, but as a company they must be aware that budget and convenience are major factors for a majority when planning their vacation. Once price increases and convenience decreases, it will be interesting to see how many of those who have been lured onto Disney property will remain so enchanted that they will add more dollars onto their trip or will reduce their stay in order to enjoy all of the benefits included in a MYW package.

Do keep in mind that Disney has really employed two major pushes aimed towards getting folks to stay on-site. Changes could be applied to reflect a preference on Disney's part of using one method (DME) over the other (DDP), now that they've had a chance to see how effective/costly (in a variety of ways) each of the respective approaches are.

Do keep in mind that Disney has really employed two major pushes aimed towards getting folks to stay on-site. Changes could be applied to reflect a preference on Disney's part of using one method (DME) over the other (DDP), now that they've had a chance to see how effective/costly (in a variety of ways) each of the respective approaches are.

You're right. I generally think of them in tandem because we use them both, but if there are enough people who feel that ME is enough incentive to stay on site, perhaps the changes to the DDP will not be enough of a detriment to keep them from purchasing it. They may also simply pay OOP but still send enough money Disney's way to maintain their bottom line.

I agree.

You can book a car service for around $100 R/T. A couple can use Mears for a little less. The "value" of DME is around $100. I'm one of the people who would spend the extra few dollars for a rental car. That makes it likely I'll have a meal or two offsite.

DDP provides for the possibility of substantially more savings. Particularly when guests look at the maximum savings obtained with the plan. I agree with your figures, the savings are more modest when I compare my dining plan costs with the food I'd typically order if I was paying cash. Nevertheless DDP creates the illusion of savings that are dramatically higher.

It wouldn't take much of a price increase for the plan to make less sense for me. Without the DDP I'll have fewer TS meals, might have a dinner at B&C and might have breakfast at Fresh.

Prior to DDP and DME I'd stay offsite whenever I couldn't find the kind of rates I liked. Now I'll stay offsite, even if it means dropping down a resort category.

The other thing to keep in mind is that DME is attractive only to those who fly to WDW and choose not to rent a car. DDP is a potential benefit to anyone who stays onsite.

There are many visitors who drive to WDW, plus many others who rent a car because they want to do more than WDW, don't want the hassle of bussing, are touring Florida, whatever.

I don't know what the % is, but I know whenever we go to one of the resorts, there are a ton of cars in the parking lot.

I would consider EMH a third major initiative to get people to stay onsite. In fact, we would not stay onsite without it (or if it went back to the old way of only 1 extra hour in the morning). 3 extra hours at the end of the day - especially if you go, as we do, in value season when the parks close earlier, and especially if you've got young kids and like to take a mid-day break - is very valuable.

DDP in its current incarnation is a nice perk of our already having decided to stay onsite - we can spend about as much as (maybe a little more than) we used to on food eating mainly CS, but we can try some of the, frankly, overpriced TS restaurants. If tips are removed and the current price stays the same or increases, well, then, we'll go back to eating mainly CS and going to a few special TS that we really can't find close to home, like Boma and maybe a couple others. I won't spend 20-25% more on food than we're used to spending to eat food that isn't that special, i.e., that I can get at home. And Chicago is no different than many other cities across the country in that regard. It used to be there were types of restaurants here that couldn't be found for hundreds of miles, but as Americans' appetite for ethnic/creative food has skyrocketed in the last several years, you can get World Showcase-level food in the suburbs, in medium sized cities, in college towns, etc. You can certainly get it elsewhere in Orlando besides WDW, too. And all for less than Disney charges.

Now, the one thing you can't get anywhere else besides WDW is character interaction with your food, but I'll confess that we don't do character meals. I'm sure those places will stay busy, but I would think that quite a few other TS restaurants will experience a sizable drop in attendance. At any rate, I can only speak for my family, and there are many TS restaurants that we would not go to if it weren't for the DDP and the inclusion of the tip in the price.

I would consider EMH a third major initiative to get people to stay onsite. In fact, we would not stay onsite without it (or if it went back to the old way of only 1 extra hour in the morning). 3 extra hours at the end of the day - especially if you go, as we do, in value season when the parks close earlier, and especially if you've got young kids and like to take a mid-day break - is very valuable.

DDP in its current incarnation is a nice perk of our already having decided to stay onsite - we can spend about as much as (maybe a little more than) we used to on food eating mainly CS, but we can try some of the, frankly, overpriced TS restaurants. If tips are removed and the current price stays the same or increases, well, then, we'll go back to eating mainly CS and going to a few special TS that we really can't find close to home, like Boma and maybe a couple others. I won't spend 20-25% more on food than we're used to spending to eat food that isn't that special, i.e., that I can get at home. And Chicago is no different than many other cities across the country in that regard. It used to be there were types of restaurants here that couldn't be found for hundreds of miles, but as Americans' appetite for ethnic/creative food has skyrocketed in the last several years, you can get World Showcase-level food in the suburbs, in medium sized cities, in college towns, etc. You can certainly get it elsewhere in Orlando besides WDW, too. And all for less than Disney charges.

Now, the one thing you can't get anywhere else besides WDW is character interaction with your food, but I'll confess that we don't do character meals. I'm sure those places will stay busy, but I would think that quite a few other TS restaurants will experience a sizable drop in attendance. At any rate, I can only speak for my family, and there are many TS restaurants that we would not go to if it weren't for the DDP and the inclusion of the tip in the price.

You are really summing it up for how we ate, before the DDP. I refused to pay for the TS A la carte overpriced restaurants. We ate at some of the Characters and Bomas. We did eat offsite. We drive, we usually did Seaworld or Universal, with our stay. I will have to say, that the other day, the family said, " the next time we go to Orlando, we need to go to Seaworld again." With the DDP, it was pointless, I was already paying to eat on site and loving every minute of it. I am anxious to see how this all plays out. I think Disney knew exactly what they were doing, by offering it for the price that they did for 2 years, then a restaurant overcrowding has occured. Now, they may have decided to weed out the budget minded, and see what they have left.

Since you can read into statements and make all knowing observations, can you help all of us our with useful information like the lotto numbers or where Jimmy Hoffa is?

Jimmy hoffa?

I hope disneyserver gets that reference. I'm showing my age just knowing who he was.

Seriously though, Jimmy hoffa is NOT living in cuba with Elvis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter