Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Hey, New to this thread. Kinda new to Dis, but I've really just been more of a reader for the past 15 years than a poster. :) anyway, I'm thinking about making my DD a princess dress for a potential upcoming trip to wdw, is there a pattern you recommend? I typically make fairly simple clothes from patterns I draft myself, but I think a princess dress is a bit beyond my pattern-drafting skills. It would still need to be fairly simple, I have a huge deadline at the end of September that's mostly hogging all of my sewing time. Thanks!

We are going Oct. 13-22. We are staying at the grand floridian. I can't wait!! Our kids don't know about the trip. I'm so excited!! It's really hard to keep quiet about it!! I will be sewing in secret after they are in bed. Good thing they are all deep sleepers!!

How fun that you are surprising your kids. We did that 2 years ago when I took my daughter to Disneyland.

My Mom has made some amazing dresses for my daughter. I am so excited!

She is also making a Cinderella, a Tinkerbelle, and maybe a Minnie Mouse!

Beautiful dress! Your mom is talented. Your little girl is very lucky! Is your mom making these dresses for a trip or just for dress-up? (Sorry I couldn't see the Snow White dress - only the Elsa.)

Hey, New to this thread. Kinda new to Dis, but I've really just been more of a reader for the past 15 years than a poster. :) anyway, I'm thinking about making my DD a princess dress for a potential upcoming trip to wdw, is there a pattern you recommend? I typically make fairly simple clothes from patterns I draft myself, but I think a princess dress is a bit beyond my pattern-drafting skills. It would still need to be fairly simple, I have a huge deadline at the end of September that's mostly hogging all of my sewing time. Thanks!

Welcome! This first dress I highly recommend is Sweet little princess dresses by KatydidCreationsLLC. You can find that on Etsy.

A few others you might want to look at are:

Elise’s everyday princess dress (Frozen) from You Can Make This.
Candy Castle dress from Craftsy.

Funktionalthreads has a few dresses that could easily be made into princess dresses. You can find them on Etsy and YCMT. She has superb patterns!

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I had poked around on You Can Make This for a while, but thought it might be faster to ask for recommendations, so I really really appreciate it. I'll check those out. :) We were at the fabric store and she fell in love with the Satin fabrics and really really really wanted a dress from them, so this is good timing.

Thank you so much! I had poked around on You Can Make This for a while, but thought it might be faster to ask for recommendations, so I really really appreciate it. I'll check those out. :) We were at the fabric store and she fell in love with the Satin fabrics and really really really wanted a dress from them, so this is good timing.

I highly recommend scientific seamstress by Carla C, especially the portrait peasant and simply sweet.

I was just wondering how long does a project take you if you are not a pro sewer? My mom has agreed to makes skirts and shorts for my girls but I just realized it is 12 items and we only have 14 weeks until we leave. :worried:

On the plus side I got frozen fabric for 50% off.

A skirt? I can do a skirt in 2-3 days...that is very broken up. I usually cut and pin one day, sew the next day I chance and spend a little time on finishing touches a third. I'm sure my sewing time is quite a bit different than your moms though. I rarely get more than an hour here and there to sew. I sew at the kitchen table and have 4 kids...enough said ;)

I can get shorts done in under an hour, skirts too unless they are full of ruffles, then they take a little longer.

We are headed to Disney at the beginning of November, yay!
My DD and I have a tradition of making a new costume for each day of the park and after a few years of this I am running out of ideas. I need help. I prefer cotton dresses ( in dresses meant to be in cotton mainly) but I may have to add others. In the past she has worn Alice, Snow White traditional and Snow White rag, Ariel's blue land dress, Esmeralda, Cinderella rag dress, and Jessie. I may be missing one or two, but I think that's it.

This time around I plan on making Briar Rose, Anna and possibly Wendy but that one I'm torn on because I feel like it should be a crepe, chiffon type fabric. She is being Elsa for Halloween but I'm not sure that I want her bringing that to Disney with the satin and cape.

Is there any other characters I can add? I'm out of ideas.

We are headed to Disney at the beginning of November, yay!
My DD and I have a tradition of making a new costume for each day of the park and after a few years of this I am running out of ideas. I need help. I prefer cotton dresses ( in dresses meant to be in cotton mainly) but I may have to add others. In the past she has worn Alice, Snow White traditional and Snow White rag, Ariel's blue land dress, Esmeralda, Cinderella rag dress, and Jessie. I may be missing one or two, but I think that's it.

This time around I plan on making Briar Rose, Anna and possibly Wendy but that one I'm torn on because I feel like it should be a crepe, chiffon type fabric. She is being Elsa for Halloween but I'm not sure that I want her bringing that to Disney with the satin and cape.

Is there any other characters I can add? I'm out of ideas.

Megara from Hercules, Belle (her village dress especially), Mulan, Merida

Hi all. I've just started sewing. I got a Brother SE400 for Christmas and have not touched it until about 3 weeks ago. I have made two circle skirts, a diaper and wipes case, a hooded towel, and I've embroidered and appliqued a few things.

I want to start making some more. After following this thread for a long time, I decided I wanted to tackle the Simply Sweet because everyone just raves about it. I downloaded the pattern, but it looks complicated. Do you really need all 3 layers? Does it matter what fabric I use for the other side?

Also, does anyone have a link to a pattern or tutorial to make a very simple skirt besides a circle skirt?

Thanks! :)

Megara from Hercules, Belle (her village dress especially), Mulan, Merida

Great ideas! I completely forgot about Bells's village dress and Merida. Mulan could be fun too, I don't think DD has ever seen Hercules so she wouldn't know who Megara is.

I want to start making some more. After following this thread for a long time, I decided I wanted to tackle the Simply Sweet because everyone just raves about it. I downloaded the pattern, but it looks complicated. Do you really need all 3 layers? Does it matter what fabric I use for the other side?

I am starting my 3rd Simply Sweet Dress today! It really is not that complicated, there are just a lot of pages to that pattern. I used the good material for the front, then i did a fusible interfacing instead of the extra fabric in the middle. then i used a cheaper fabric for the inside lining. The hardest part i think was doing the elastic in the back to make it more fitted. I am no professional by any means, pretty novice actually, but I do have my mother in law to help and she has been sewing a long time. If you have any specific questions I can try to help.

I am starting my 3rd Simply Sweet Dress today! It really is not that complicated, there are just a lot of pages to that pattern. I used the good material for the front, then i did a fusible interfacing instead of the extra fabric in the middle. then i used a cheaper fabric for the inside lining. The hardest part i think was doing the elastic in the back to make it more fitted. I am no professional by any means, pretty novice actually, but I do have my mother in law to help and she has been sewing a long time. If you have any specific questions I can try to help.

Thanks. So I can basically just go get some cheap white cotton fabric from Walmart to use?

I definitely did a double take when I saw how many pages there were in that pattern!! :eek:

Also, does anyone have a link to a pattern or tutorial to make a very simple skirt besides a circle skirt?

Thanks! :)

I did not purchase the Simply Sweet pattern but made my own and I only use two fabric pieces for the front and for the back. I made the front and back pieces the same so I just cut out 4 of them. You can use cheaper fabric for the lining. I have made some of mine with Broadcloth.

Skirts are easy. Just take some fabric and sew the edges together. Fold down the top and make a casing for the elastic. Bottom edge can have ruffle added or just turned up and stitch. The width of the fabric will determine the fullness of the skirt.

I did not purchase the Simply Sweet pattern but made my own and I only use two fabric pieces for the front and for the back. I made the front and back pieces the same so I just cut out 4 of them. You can use cheaper fabric for the lining. I have made some of mine with Broadcloth.

Skirts are easy. Just take some fabric and sew the edges together. Fold down the top and make a casing for the elastic. Bottom edge can have ruffle added or just turned up and stitch. The width of the fabric will determine the fullness of the skirt.

Thanks! As soon as I can get to a fabric store, I'm going to give it a try.

I was just wondering how long does a project take you if you are not a pro sewer? My mom has agreed to makes skirts and shorts for my girls but I just realized it is 12 items and we only have 14 weeks until we leave. :worried:

On the plus side I got frozen fabric for 50% off.

I think if its a pattern you've never made before it can take longer if you don't sew a lot. It also really depends on the pattern and if it uses a technique you can do but have not done before. If she's making multiple of the same thing (but dif fabrics) the 2nd one will go WAY faster then the 1st!

chellewashere said:
Its not you. I have had my machine for over a year and the threader works only part of the time.
FYI it is picky about thread.

Sorry I didn't see this before, I have a shop full of brother machines and two embroidery machines as well. Brothers hate the thread spool laying on its side (horizontal) if you have a vertical pin use it, or get a thread stand. Also if thread is giving super fits, try Sewers Aid, they sell it many places put it on the thread and it helps it slide through better.

I thought I would post a few pics of the things I've tried. These are all my very first attempts at sewing anything since I took sewing in 6th grade.

I need more practice, especially at cutting strait!, but overall I'm fairly pleased with how they turned out for a first attempt.

First circle skirt:

Second circle skirt and first applique:

Ruffled twirly skirt (I had to remake the ruffle and it's still uneven. Definitely need more practice!)

Diaper and Wipes case:

(I've had this done for a week now and just now noticed that the fabric is upside down. Oops.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter