Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I just subscribed a few days ago!! I love all the outfits and inspiration on this board! I can't wait to post some of the things I have been working on and see more great things from everyone! Thanks for sharing all your great work, tips, and ideas! :)

Hi all! I've been lurking a couple of days and decided to join today! I am a novice sewer and really just started in the past year. I started making pads for my daughter's feeding tube, then covers for her trach ties and hospital gowns. I love all boutique kids clothing and want to start attempting some simple dresses/skirts for DD and shorts/pants for DS. They are 3 yo twins and my DD is a wish kid. You all are super talented! I can't wait to catch up on past threads and be even more inspired!

MamaMouse to C (DD, 3, wish kid) and Z (DS, 3)

Welcome. We highly recommend anything by Carla C aka as the Scientific Seamstress and part of Sis Boom. Her patterns are like mini sewing lessons and are super well written.

Another favorite here is Funktional Threads.

My very first dress was a FooFooThreads dress from Etsy. Her patterns are also like mini sewing lessons, I had some difficulty with button holes. In hindsight I wouldn't do a dress with them for my first dress, try finding a cute peasant dress pattern. I found mine on You Can Make This, I do believe it might be SisBoom. I pretty much looked for the peasant dress pattern that had my girls' sizes, lots of stuff for smaller girls but once they are older it is harder to find cute dress patterns.
I started sewing cloth diapers 8 years ago and I still consider myself a novice :)

Thanks for the suggestions, girls! I will have to check them out! I need to get sewing!

Thanks for the suggestions, girls! I will have to check those patterns out and get sewing! I want to try to make some cute outfits for DD's wish trip!

Does anyone know of a good pattern that I could use to make a Minnie Mouse dress for a toddler? I'm thinking a circle skirt for the bottom, but I am having trouble finding a bodice that works. I don't feel experienced enough to draft my own bodice. Any suggestions?

I used a boys t-shirt from Old Navy for the bodice of YDD's Minnie Mouse dress.
DSCN0936_zpsa53e2454.jpg

DSCN0937_zps230723e2.jpg

For my older DD I just made a skirt and she wore a Minnie Mouse t-shirt.
DSCN0934_zps33e5dab8.jpg

Hi everyone!

If any of you have ben around since 2010, you might remember me! Our daughter, Emily, had her Make a Wish trip over Christmas 2010 - New Year's 2011. We were honored to be chosen for the Big Give and you can see just a small sample of the amazing things we received in my signature picture from our trip!

We are headed back to Disney in 11 days!!!!!! (Emily is actually staying home this time with family and nurses).

I had a question about pin trading for our older son Drew. I know this isn't really the right place to ask but I wasn't sure where to find a pin trading thread/board. So, our oldest, Drew, is now 10 years old and I was thinking about getting him a starter set of pins/lanyard for our trip. I wanted to save a little money instead of buying some new but I'm worried about buying online and getting fake pins! If any of you know someone who might sell me 5-10, relatively cheap, pins and can ship them fast could you private message me?

Thanks so much!

Oh, and some of the clothes that fit Drew on our last trip will now fit our younger son, Carter, so we are bringing some of your amazing items this trip too!! :love:

Aimee

Hi everyone. I am very new to sewing. My 16 year old daughter would like a Belle in her blue dress costume. I have a shirt and apron, but I need to find a pattern very, very similar to the blue dress. I tried the YCMT website but the search feature didn't bring anything up for Belle. I live in an area where Walmart is really my only viable choice so if anyone knows a simplicity pattern that would be close could you please let me know which pattern, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has made outfits to wear for the Spirit of Aloha Luau? Looking for ideas.....especially for teen girls?

Thank you.

What happened to the Facebook page that was started from this thread ? I really miss seeing all the cute Disney outfits. This thread is slow now I don't get enough inspiration in my life.

I'm looking to start sewing (ok, hoping to start LEARNING how to)....

Any pointers? Specific machine I should look for to help with the learning curve? I know some are way more advanced than others.

I have a toddler daughter, i'd love to be able to make her a few cute dresses and such, definitely starting simple!

Thanks!

I have a basic Janome machine, can't remember the model # at the moment but it was somewhere around $100. I have sewn a crib set, cloth diapers, dresses, Halloween costumes, ect with it. The only thing I can honestly say I *wish* my machine had is an automatic button option. I have a 3 (or 4?) step button hole, it's a pain especially for someone who is still pretty much a novice. So, make sure to read some reviews before you buy, because every manufacturer/machine is different. Some are quality, some are not, some are known for certain things others are not. I know when I bought my machine 8 years ago Janome was a pretty good brand but I haven't kept up to date by any means (don't need to be trying to find another reason to spend money ;) ) Make sure you have a zig zag stitch as well as a straight stitch, IMO the rest are nice but not a must if you are on a budget. I'm hoping sometime in the next year or two I will upgrade myself so I really should start looking again...but my budget is still less than $200...I just really want those easy buttons ;)

I have a Brother Project runway PC 420 machine that I am really happy with. It has lots of features so that I won't get machine envy too quickly and it didn't cost much. $364 on Amazon right now. I am a newer sewist, just over 2 years and I love it.

Fall will be here soon which means flannel will be on sale! Keep reading to see why that’s such BIG news.

:wave2: Greetings to oldies and newbies. For some this is review and for others it is an introduction. Give Kids the World is where many of the Make A Wish families stay when they go to Walt Disney World. As part of their experience at this amazing place, each child (and family members up to the age of 18, I believe) is given a pillow to have and to hold. A couple years ago some of us here on the disboutique thread started making pillowcases for these pillows.

Admittedly, it’s not very glamorous or especially creative, but if you have simple sewing skills it’s a nice way to give back. I really enjoy reading some of the Make A Wish trip reports and seeing photos of the pillows. I believe that once I even saw a photo of a pillowcase that I made. :banana:

Here’s my latest set of pillowcases. I usually make 40 at a time -- once I get in the rhythm it’s easy to keep going. It would also be a great service project so keep it in mind as the new school year and program year begins.

:teacher: I’ll try to find a link to the directions made by ellenbenny. Basically one yard of flannel and 12” of a novelty print make four pillowcases.

One final note -- I see that Joann has flannel on sale next week for $2.99/yard. Their flannel is getting smaller and smaller. Ideally the flannel for this project should be 44-45” wide. I think I've had better luck at Hobby Lobby, but I know everyone has access to different fabric stores.

It took me forever to find you guys! I had to remember which sub group to look under. I'm starting to work on my mermaid cosplay again - this time I've convinced my niece to be ariel - she has gorgeous red hair! I'm going to dig through the photobucket site, but I've lost my notes I had from before. Someone on this thread (I'm pretty sure it was on this thread and not just randomly on the internet) had adorable ruffle blue and green skirts they had made for their daughter - they weren't horizontal ruffles, but more vertical with a wave or twist to them. This is so vague! :confused3
I think the ruffles were either chiffon or organza.
They were paired with a cute appliqued ariel t-shirt.
Anyone remember seeing those?

I bought 4 yards of mermaid scale fabric at JoAnn's and I'm ready to get started! :hyper:

I haven't posted here in forever, but I finished what is quite possibly the most Disney thing I've ever made.

224061_06Sep14_DSC04132.JPG

It's a basic tote bag, about 18 inches by 18.5 inches. Pretty simple, but effective, wouldn't you say?

The lining is yellow with little white polka dots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter