Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

For a basic sewing machine (not an embroidery one), I got a Brother CS6000i and love it. I did Mickey Heads for our trip last fall, and after one practice one, got the hang of hand applique.
Not sure if I can post the link, but if you google "The Bestest Applique Tutorial EVER! (By Heathersue)", you will find a GREAT resource that has helped me immensely.

I worked my way up to appliqueing a MONORAIL and a DISNEY BUS!!!

Start simple this trip. We took princess patterned material and made a Mickey Head out of it, for example.

Jiffy shirts has great prices for plain t-shirts, especially if you are buying several, and very, very fast shipping.

Hope that helps!

Oh yes! I remember seeing the bus one! That's a work of art! Thanks for that, I will check out that machine:)

Hello Disboutiquers,
I've been reading through these threads for a while but haven't posted yet in the Disboutiquers section. I am a beginning sewer. I have a Brother SE 400 that sews just fine, but I want a larger embroidery machine that uses a hoop larger than 4x4. I'm seriously considering a major upgrade to the Baby Lock Ellisimo. I went to a local dealer today and drooled over all the beau-ti-ful machines.

Anyway, my question is about thread. Have any of you used the Metro Embroidery Thread or their Sigma embroidery thread? I've been looking at their website and their prices are incredibly cheap for embroidery thread. I was considering purchasing Maxi Lock, Coats & Clark, or Madeira, but after finding the really good prices of Metro Embroidery Thread's website, I'm very tempted to start with them.

I've done a search on here and haven't found any discussions related to this brand of embroidery thread. Has anyone here tried it? From the internet searches I've found, the reviews are mostly positive. People seem to love it. What do the Disboutiquers think?

I suppose at those good prices, it might be worth a shot to buy a few spools before investing in the discounted multi packs. I'll get a few of the regular Metro thread and a few spools of the Sigma thread, which appears to be stronger than the regular type.

Hello Disboutiquers,
I've been reading through these threads for a while but haven't posted yet in the Disboutiquers section. I am a beginning sewer. I have a Brother SE 400 that sews just fine, but I want a larger embroidery machine that uses a hoop larger than 4x4. I'm seriously considering a major upgrade to the Baby Lock Ellisimo. I went to a local dealer today and drooled over all the beau-ti-ful machines.

Anyway, my question is about thread. Have any of you used the Metro Embroidery Thread or their Sigma embroidery thread? I've been looking at their website and their prices are incredibly cheap for embroidery thread. I was considering purchasing Maxi Lock, Coats & Clark, or Madeira, but after finding the really good prices of Metro Embroidery Thread's website, I'm very tempted to start with them.

I've done a search on here and haven't found any discussions related to this brand of embroidery thread. Has anyone here tried it? From the internet searches I've found, the reviews are mostly positive. People seem to love it. What do the Disboutiquers think?

I suppose at those good prices, it might be worth a shot to buy a few spools before investing in the discounted multi packs. I'll get a few of the regular Metro thread and a few spools of the Sigma thread, which appears to be stronger than the regular type.

I've never tried that thread, but when I first started, many Diboutiquers recommended Marathon brand thread, which is a good price, imo. I found it to be quite good, though I have since moved on to Madiera. I do think with embroidery thread, you get what you pay for. Marathon is good and stitches nicely, but Madiera is great! Shiny and smooth, easy to work with.

As you said, I would definitely buy a few colors in each brand you're considering and use them before investing in an entire collection. That way, you'll feel confident you've thoroughly tested before sinking a bunch of money into it.

Hope that helps!
Regards,
C. (PS - I like your name!)

Hello everyone! :yay:
I've been a long time dis'er
I run across this sewing tread every now again.. I love seeing all the wonderful things everyone comes up with..

My story:
I'm a stay at home mother And I love to sew.
Between getting married, having a baby, moving 3,000 miles, having baby #2..I was never able to to find time, nor a space to sew more than a costume or two..

Fast forward a few years later:
This morning I came home from food shopping, to find our office/"catch all room" ( the room that you throw stuff in, when you have an unexpected guest)
Cleaned out and organized.. :faint: !
My husband moved the desks , so they make one big long 9ft table on one wall! Prefect sewing space..
The only thing missing was my sewing machine.. (I was already in tears by this point)

I've been enjoying lurking on this thread but now with less than 30 days before we leave for wdw, I decided to make something for my granddaughter, 18 months. But for the life of me I can't get the buttonhole to work on my machine. Does anyone know where I can find a simple dress pattern that doesn't require buttonholes or a zipper?

I've been enjoying lurking on this thread but now with less than 30 days before we leave for wdw, I decided to make something for my granddaughter, 18 months. But for the life of me I can't get the buttonhole to work on my machine. Does anyone know where I can find a simple dress pattern that doesn't require buttonholes or a zipper?

What kind of dress are you wanting to make? Pillowcase dresses don't need zippers or buttons and peasant type dresses use elastic casings...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hello everyone! :yay: I've been a long time dis'er I run across this sewing tread every now again.. I love seeing all the wonderful things everyone comes up with.. My story: I'm a stay at home mother And I love to sew. Between getting married, having a baby, moving 3,000 miles, having baby #2..I was never able to to find time, nor a space to sew more than a costume or two.. Fast forward a few years later: This morning I came home from food shopping, to find our office/"catch all room" ( the room that you throw stuff in, when you have an unexpected guest) Cleaned out and organized.. :faint: ! My husband moved the desks , so they make one big long 9ft table on one wall! Prefect sewing space.. The only thing missing was my sewing machine.. (I was already in tears by this point) dde05 When I went to go get my sewing machine out of the closet, I found a picture of a Baby-lock ellegante 2! :yay: Which will be here later next week I'm soo excited! And feel soo loved! :hug: Can not wait to start sewing in my new space!! Now I don't know much about the machine.. My husband had My mother (baby-lock lover) buy it.. It's used, a few years old, low stitch count. My mom says it a VERY good machine. After seeing some of the MSRP prices for the new ones.. I think they have lost their minds! I've looked it up my machine on the baby-lock website. Looks very nice, but how does it sew? And I love doing machine appliqué.. Will this work well for that? Will not be coming with the upgrade II I'm use to a brother, but from what I've read baby-lock and brother are similar. Thank for any help and advice.. looking forward chatting with all of you!
I don't have any advice or reviews for your new machine but your story put a huge smile on my face. You are blessed to have such a loving and thoughtful husband. How wonderful. Enjoy your new sewing room!!

I really like the Simply Sweet from the Scientific Seamstress. It's a cute dress and also a cute top when paired with her easy fit pattern cut to shorts or capris.

Use snaps or Velcro?

Serger ??

So I was recently blessed with the gift of a lightly used serger....I have dreamed of owning one for years, but never had the money available for one!:cool1:

My question is this- (I am still practising on scraps, btw) It seems to be hit or miss for me whether or not I can get an actual stitch to form. One time it will do it without a hitch, the next it just "falls apart". Same threading, nothing changed on machine settings.

Is there something I am doing that I am not realizing for the stitched ones? Or the unstitched? To my mind I am doing each one exactly the same. Starting fabric, pedal speed etc...

Any tips or tricks?

TIA!!:wave2:

I read one time that there is a site that sells used originals, but I can't find where it is. Have any of you heard of this, or what do you do with your outgrown designs? Thanks.

I read one time that there is a site that sells used originals, but I can't find where it is. Have any of you heard of this, or what do you do with your outgrown designs? Thanks.

We can't sell on the Dis board, there is a resell group on FB. I don't know how active it is. I know most of my "resells" either go to Ebay or local Mom's stake their claims early LOL.

Serger ??

So I was recently blessed with the gift of a lightly used serger....I have dreamed of owning one for years, but never had the money available for one!:cool1:

My question is this- (I am still practising on scraps, btw) It seems to be hit or miss for me whether or not I can get an actual stitch to form. One time it will do it without a hitch, the next it just "falls apart". Same threading, nothing changed on machine settings.

Is there something I am doing that I am not realizing for the stitched ones? Or the unstitched? To my mind I am doing each one exactly the same. Starting fabric, pedal speed etc...

Any tips or tricks?

I'm sorry, I have no serger advice, but I'm sure somebody will come along with help soon. A serger is next on my Must Purchase list.

Serger ??

Any tips or tricks?

Since it is new to you anyway, it might be helpful to take it in for a good cleaning and tune-up. Do you know if it was regularly maintained? There could be something off with the timing to cause your stitch issue. Usually the people working at a sewing shop will go over threading and basic operation with you if you ask.

I actually did exactly this when my mom gave me her serger. It hadn't been used or tuned in years, so the shop cleaned it up and gave me a good lesson on operating it. Invaluable, imo!

Call around to local shops, especially those that sell that brand, and see what they can do for you in terms of cost and a lesson.

HTH!
Regards,
C.

One thing I believe everyone that has used a serger can warn you about is to make sure the pressure foot is actually down. Seems simple, but everyone has made that mistake at least once!! Some of us multiple times!!!!

My problem is that since you don't really have to raise it like on a regular sewing machine that when I do raise it I forget!

Nini

Serger ?? So I was recently blessed with the gift of a lightly used serger....I have dreamed of owning one for years, but never had the money available for one!:cool1: My question is this- (I am still practising on scraps, btw) It seems to be hit or miss for me whether or not I can get an actual stitch to form. One time it will do it without a hitch, the next it just "falls apart". Same threading, nothing changed on machine settings. Is there something I am doing that I am not realizing for the stitched ones? Or the unstitched? To my mind I am doing each one exactly the same. Starting fabric, pedal speed etc... Any tips or tricks? TIA!!:wave2:

What brand/model do you have. You tube has tons of videos so you may want to search your specific serger there. Also craftsy.com has a great beginner serger class. Search for a coupon or sign up for email. I paid $10 for it and it was very much worth it.

For a tip I will say NEVER serge over a pin it will break your knife

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter