Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

My daughter came home for Christmas and brought a doll she had found at a yard sale. She asked me if I could make her a new dress, as the one she is in has ripped and repairing is not an option (dry rotted dress, poor almost naked doll ).
The doll is a 16 inch doll and with the tiny forearms in porcelain and from the knee down in porcelain with a stuffed body. I can not find a pattern for dresses for her, but I have found patterns for Barbies and American Girl dolls..if any one knows of site that has patterns that might work I would appreciate it.
I can either scale down AG or scale up Barbie patterns, but hoping for actual patterns. I did take all her measurements to make any option work out a bit easier.
Thanks for the help

Any chance you can take apart the dress she came with and use that as a pattern ?

Also, which facebook page have these diboarders gone too ?

I've been gone for a few years... (like maybe the 12th or 13th version of this thread)... anyway, my girls are cast in our local production of Beauty and the Beast and I am trying to find costumes for them as townspeople. Does anyone have a suggestion? Or even search suggestions. I am not finding what I want searching "townspeople". I am okay with PM suggestions too.

Hi! Totally excited about finding this thread. I sew, entirely self taught, but in desperate need of classes. :lmao: Anyway, we have an upcoming trip, and it's our last trip most likely where DD will be of the princess fan ages. I'm going to have to go through here and take a look at your work! So excited.

My DH will probably shoot me if I take on a sewing project right now. My mom and sis have convinced me to take up knitting. It's going okay, but I'm never been this frustrated with a craft!

Hello All! I haven't been over to this thread in a long while, But this thread is the one that got me back into sewing over 6 years ago!
I'm loving looking at all of your creations :)
Here are some of my most recent Disney creations!
Thanks for letting me share! :)

Your dresses are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

I've been gone for a few years... (like maybe the 12th or 13th version of this thread)... anyway, my girls are cast in our local production of Beauty and the Beast and I am trying to find costumes for them as townspeople. Does anyone have a suggestion? Or even search suggestions. I am not finding what I want searching "townspeople". I am okay with PM suggestions too.

I think if you did a Portrait Peasant by scientific seamstress, or Meghan/Molly peasant dress by sis boom (not sure what sizes you need), and use plainer fabric, maybe with ruffle and sleeves being one color, bodice/skirt another. Add an apron or pinafore.

Here is a variety of portrait peasant, Molly, and Meghan dresses I made.

Another idea is to make a twirl skirt, with a portrait peasant top:

Twirl skirt is basically one width of fabric on top, two widths in the middle, and 3 widths on the bottom. Add an 1"-1.5" to the top to fold over for elastic, 1/2 " - 1" to bottom for hem. Gather layer two and three top to sew onto above layer with a 1/2 " seam.

I've made many Portrait Peasants, especially in dolly sizes, but they are basically the same as girls. Here is a princess one:

Nightgown (but more of a townsperson idea):

Hope that helps!

I've been lurking since my last post and admiring all the beautiful projects everyone has! (Sorry I haven't pulled out my Victorian dress to get photos to post on here yet.) We are headed to WDW in November and I am looking for some ideas of fun skirts or dresses to make for me! (Granted, I'm kid-sized, so girl size 12/14 or misses size XS would be great, but I can alter patterns once I have them.) Could anyone point me in the right direction for patterns or ideas for something fun yet acceptable to wear at WDW (i.e. no costumes) or on a Disney cruise?

I think a fun multi-layered skirt or character-inspired dress would be right up my alley. I'm an excellent sewer and pattern follower but not so creative in the finding or creating pattern department. I have an embroidery machine too and have lots of applique designs. I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions!

I've been lurking since my last post and admiring all the beautiful projects everyone has! (Sorry I haven't pulled out my Victorian dress to get photos to post on here yet.) We are headed to WDW in November and I am looking for some ideas of fun skirts or dresses to make for me! (Granted, I'm kid-sized, so girl size 12/14 or misses size XS would be great, but I can alter patterns once I have them.) Could anyone point me in the right direction for patterns or ideas for something fun yet acceptable to wear at WDW (i.e. no costumes) or on a Disney cruise?

I think a fun multi-layered skirt or character-inspired dress would be right up my alley. I'm an excellent sewer and pattern follower but not so creative in the finding or creating pattern department. I have an embroidery machine too and have lots of applique designs. I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions!

A lot of people like You Can Make This for patterns. The offer some free ones but most are around $10 and you print them off yourself in the size you need. You download them to your computer. You can keep printing off sizes so if one gets ripped you can reprint.

I like making my own patterns for my nieces. I have not had much luck making anything for myself (even with a store bought pattern).

Hi ladies. I was hoping to join you over here. I have been a long time member mostly lurker on the DIS. I was a member of the BIG GIVE forum 3 years ago but shortly after I joined we ended up welcoming our 3rd baby at 26 weeks and then finding out he has an extremely rare bone marrow failure disorder, well, life got a little nuts the past 3 years.

Anyway I am back on the DIS thanks to our recent booking of a trip to WDW to celebrate our special warrior baby in August. I have asked again to join the Big Give as I am hoping to contribute by making some digital items and painted items for the very special children to help brighten their day I am just waiting on approval.

I ADORE all of your work and think you are ALL so inspiring.

I do have a question. I am hoping to plan some outfits for the kids for our vacation, since we don't have a lot of funds for extras like this I was thinking of purchasing some iron on appliques and applying them myself to some clothes we have. Is there a good place to purchase appliques to do this. Also what is the best process to apply to make them last? I am not very sewing competent but I am crafty. :thumbsup2

Not sure if this was suggested yet or not by the Disigns board here has free designs to print for iron ons and the designers there are so great and will customize the designs for you, for free!! We had the best luck with Amy_mickey and her transfer paper. It has held up beautifully and stays soft.

Best wishes :)

Not sure if this was suggested yet or not by the Disigns board here has free designs to print for iron ons and the designers there are so great and will customize the designs for you, for free!! We had the best luck with Amy_mickey and her transfer paper. It has held up beautifully and stays soft.

Best wishes :)

Thank you so much, I think I might give this a try I will have to figure out where to print it since our printer isn't color. I know so old school, it's a laser. LOL

You ladies have inspired me and I started painting a couple things for the kids for our trip. I painted some shorts for our little guy
1794768_10152195673195027_227778791_n.jpg

1653344_10152195673200027_1722559425_n.jpg

Then I painted him a Panda t-shirt too because he is OBSESSED with Pandas since we went to the zoo last month. "ANDA" is his first and only word. I never thought I would love a word so much. :goodvibes
1888602_10152197154095027_1405591605_n.jpg

A lot of people like You Can Make This for patterns.
Oh, thank you! These are exactly the type of patterns I have been looking for. I've never printed a pattern from the computer though, as printers print things at different sizes and some pattern pieces would be bigger than a sheet of paper, but it's worth a try!

I've never printed a pattern from the computer though, as printers print things at different sizes and some pattern pieces would be bigger than a sheet of paper, but it's worth a try!

Usually with pdf patterns, you tape a bunch of pieces of paper together to make the pattern. This is a good how to http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2013/01/how-to-use-digital-sewing-patterns.html for printing and using them. I love pdf patterns for sewing for my daughter. The directions are usually so much better. I am trying to get brave enough to sew for myself!

I would love to see what you make!

Oh my....I see that I posted on the first page of this thread...I can't remember when the last time I checked in. Tried reading backwards....just too much to read....lots of cute projects. I'll try to check in more often::yes::
Sheila

Thank you so much, I think I might give this a try I will have to figure out where to print it since our printer isn't color. I know so old school, it's a laser. LOL

You ladies have inspired me and I started painting a couple things for the kids for our trip. I painted some shorts for our little guy
1794768_10152195673195027_227778791_n.jpg

1653344_10152195673200027_1722559425_n.jpg

Then I painted him a Panda t-shirt too because he is OBSESSED with Pandas since we went to the zoo last month. "ANDA" is his first and only word. I never thought I would love a word so much. :goodvibes
1888602_10152197154095027_1405591605_n.jpg

Those shorts are awesome! Perfect chunky icons for a boy.

And the 'anda shirt is nearly as precious as the story.

My daughter came home for Christmas and brought a doll she had found at a yard sale. She asked me if I could make her a new dress, as the one she is in has ripped and repairing is not an option (dry rotted dress, poor almost naked doll ).
The doll is a 16 inch doll and with the tiny forearms in porcelain and from the knee down in porcelain with a stuffed body. I can not find a pattern for dresses for her, but I have found patterns for Barbies and American Girl dolls..if any one knows of site that has patterns that might work I would appreciate it.
I can either scale down AG or scale up Barbie patterns, but hoping for actual patterns. I did take all her measurements to make any option work out a bit easier.
Thanks for the help

I think its Vogue patterns that has some antique reprints made for 16" dolls. I tried one on an AG bitty twin and it worked but she was the wee-est bit chunky for it. it would probably be great on vintage dolls though.

I usually wait until Hancocks does a sale with patterns for $2-3...hate spending 15 or more for doll patterns

..ok actually these pics arent even the bitty twin but another random non AG doll we have

This is from vogue pattern 7565

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

Hi all! Just found this thread. The DIS never disappoints...there is a thread for everything! I make clothes for my girls. Nothing extravagant, just skirts, dresses, etc. Can't wait to make some outfits for our upcoming trip. I already have a ton of ideas swirling in my head, but I know looking at this thread is just going to inspire me more!

Amazing! Love them!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi! I’m Abby. I did it! I read all 120 pages of this thread! I love seeing all of the amazing clothes, bags, and crafts! I have bookmarked several tutorials and pattern places. You have all given me some inspiration and ideas for our upcoming WDW trip.

We are going in May for our daughters sweet 16 birthday! I had never thought about appliqué on T-shirt before but would love to make some for my husband and myself. On the actual day of her birthday I was going to have t-shirts made that say something like “Our Princess is Sweet 16”, but I may see if I can make them instead. I also love the idea of making backpacks and wristlets to take with us.

Now my daughter is a whole other project. ;) She had decided to wants to be a princess with a teen twist so she basically wants to wear knee length semi-formals, with a sash and a tiara. I don’t think I will be making all of them; we will be in the parks for 4 days and 1 day at downtown Disney. We have discussed buying one or two, me making 1, maybe two and seeing what we find at the thrift stores and perhaps mixing and altering. There is one dress I will definitely be making for her though. My daughter is really into anime (Japanese cartoons), manga (Japanese comics) and Japanese pop culture and music in general. She wants one dress in the Wa Lolita style. (Not THAT Lolita) Wa is kanji for Japanese and Lolita is a Japanese street style that emulates Victorian styles. It is very buttoned up and lots of lace and underskirts. There are different kinds of Lolita like sweet or gothic or Wa. Basically, Wa is keeping the Lolita silhouette but adding a shortened form of a kimono and Obi (belt) with the big bow on the back. I’m sure I am not doing a great job of explain so here is a link so you can see what I mean. Anyway, we found this really pretty Jade green fabric with gold dragons that she wants to use for Kimono and she wants her Obi to be purple. I also want to experiment with making some in Disney fabrics because I think that would be cute, but not for this trip. I think I might be able to come up with Lolita style inspired by Disney princess too and want to play around with that idea.

My daughter also attends Anime conventions with her friends. Most of my sewing has been costuming for these events. She is attending a local pony con in June and an anime con in August and I am making costumes for those, one is going to be very elaborate and has to be finished shortly after we get back from our trip, which is why I can’t make 5 semi formal dresses before our May trip. LOL

Even with all of this sewing I still am inspired to make some of these adorable little girls’ dresses for my grand nieces (4 with another due in July) and nephew. I think I will work on making them cute stuff for Christmas gifts.

We went to Disney in October for MNSSHP. We went as a family and took my “other daughter” my daughter’s BFF. We dressed as characters from Alice in Wonderland. I was the Cheshire cat but my costume was dyed t-shirt and shorts and I made stripped fun fuzz arm and leg bands, purchased a hat and tail and drew a giant smile on my face with make-up. My husband was the Mad Hatter but we purchased everything that went into his costume, mostly from the thrift store. The girls were different. There is a manga (Japanese comic book) series based on Alice and the girls were emulating the Alice characters from this series. My daughter was the White Rabbit but in a sweet Lolita style. I made a dress, vest and jacket. I used Simplicity 3685 for the basic design but it was altered a bunch to meet her vision. Our Alice was based on Simplicity 2325 but was also altered and was done in the Gothic Lolita style. We did not use as may underskirts as are normal in the Lolita style because it was hot out and I didn’t want them to pass out. Here is a photo of them at the party. My camera broke the first day of the trip and we ended up using my tablet and our cell phone to take photos so I forgot to take photos of them before the party or after the party. I wish I had better photos of the details.

11278851466_5dd181cb54.jpg

11343256793_13b7d222b5.jpg

I also made myself a Minnie inspired tank top from a red T-shirt I up-cycled. I got the idea from a pinterest tutorial. I used white spray fabric and a circle stencil to make the polka dots on the shirt. Then I cut off the neck band and sleeves, made a casing at the neck on both sides and then ran pieces from the sleeves through the neck casing and tied at the shoulders. Amazingly I got stopped often and asked about the shirt. I have worn it during the winter over a long sleeve t-shirt.

Sorry this turned out so long! I am just really excited about this thread.

Welcome Dowchick!! I know what Lolita style is, although the nuances between the different sub-styles are sometimes confusing. For this audience I'd call it "Fancy Frilly Boutique Style Dresses for Teens and adults."

That Rabbit outfit is fabulous. Wonderful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter