Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

OMG! I am in love with this!!!! Did you use the Simply Sweet??? You should totally write a tute on how you did this - LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Um, and let's all remember, Marianne does NOT have a little girl. Thing Finn would wear it? :rotfl2:

Thanks everyone! Someone has been prancing around as Briar Rose all day and I couldn't be happier - it makes the 1,000th viewing of Sleeping Beauty just a little more palatable :)

I did use the Simply Sweet pattern and instead of an underlining layer, I cut two front bodice pieces - one in the light grey and one in the black. Then I cut the black bodice straight under the arm curves then cut out the triangle notch in the front. I folded those lines under about 1/4", placed the black ribbon with pins and topstitched the black layer in place! The topstitching anchored both grey and black layers and the ribbon with one pass through the machine - then proceeded with the pattern as usual :)

Hope that makes sense - can you tell why I would never be a good teacher? ;)

Our spring break doesn't start until this Friday. We did go to the zoo today though! And my sewing has been pretty non-existent as well due to yard work -- thankfully no snow for us!!! All we had this season was one ittty bitty dusting that melted in about two hours. Usually we get one or two snowfalls, but nothing to speak of this year -- which is more than fine with me!
We only had one snow this year too. It was the weekend before Halloween which is very strange for us. We never get snow that early. Then the rest of the winter was super warm! I don't like snow either though so I was pretty happy!

At least she can grow into them! Did she get the Hello Kitty Seersucker outfit you made? I've looked at that fabric so much, and loved your outfit. It is the inspiration behind my buying the tutti fruitti fabric.
She loved the Hello Kitty seersucker outfit. However what she liked best was a Dolly and Me outfit I bought on clearance at K-mart for $3!:laughing::laughing::laughing: My sister in law's favorite outfit was the pink and black and gold Minnie outfit that I made last week.

I feel the same way about my kids. We really did a lot when I was a child, always camping or going some where and my hubby didn't really do that. He's kind of a homebody but once I get him out of the house he really enjoys it.
My husband is the exact same way. My family did something together almost every weekend but dh's family rarely did things on the weekends. His dad was working on his doctorate when dh was little and his mom was typing it for him (back in the days when you still had to use a typewriter!!!) His parents spent every weekend working on that. By the time they finished, dh was in middle school and didn't want to go anywhere with his parents. Now if I drag dh out, he really enjoys it. However it is a struggle to get him to consent to going!

Yahoo!! Finished the Briar Rose sundress - hopefully it fits the model, but I'm thinking she'll be one happy chick tomorrow morning! :)

Briar Rose costume by S & J Harrison, on Flickr
That's lovely! I am sure she will absolutely love it!

I was reading Self magazine and found a version of a pillow case dress for adults by a designer, Derek Lam. I bet we could make these....

dklam4007612116_p1_1-0_254x500.jpg

dklam4007612116_p2_1-0_254x500.jpg

dklam4007612116_p4_1-0_254x500.jpg

Derek Lam
Asymmetrical Halter Dress
$1,490.00
I am sure I could made that dress but I don't think it would exactly flatter my fuller figure. :rotfl:

Did my husband just agree to buy me a new sewing machine so I can embroider? :faint:
Hooray for you! I can't wait to see what you make!

Today I was working on a lot of appliques. In between when I needed to babysit the embroidery machine, I was working on a new dress pattern that I just bought. It is a pattern just for knits. I just love it! It was so super easy to make and went together in no time. I wasn't in love with the directions because I thought she did a few steps out of order but now that I have made it once, I will know how to change it up next time.
P4020002.jpg

Here is a close up of the fabric and of the fold over elastic that I used on the neckline and arms. I have a lot of the fabric left and will probably be able to make another dress with sleeves in the fall.
P4020003.jpg

I have a couple of confessions ...

Even before I ever had kids, I wanted to make them clothes. My mom bought me a sewing machine years ago, that's still sitting in the box. I've never even had the time to try. My daughter is now seven, and I feel like I've miss some amazing opportunities.

We move in a couple of weeks, out of our tiny apartment into a four bedroom house. I made a joke about having a craft a room ... but now it's no longer a joke. I want to play!

Thanks for the inspiration ladies! I'm looking forward to ending this semester and making something ... yay!

P1060742.jpg

The dress i made for dd when we go to Disney this is the second time doing this pattern and it turned out great!

dress i made for a friend. she loves aurora! i like it so much i am making one for my dd. I did it using the link some one posted here! thanks who ever you were!
P1060744.jpg

We only had one snow this year too. It was the weekend before Halloween which is very strange for us. We never get snow that early. Then the rest of the winter was super warm! I don't like snow either though so I was pretty happy!

She loved the Hello Kitty seersucker outfit. However what she liked best was a Dolly and Me outfit I bought on clearance at K-mart for $3!:laughing::laughing::laughing: My sister in law's favorite outfit was the pink and black and gold Minnie outfit that I made last week.

My husband is the exact same way. My family did something together almost every weekend but dh's family rarely did things on the weekends. His dad was working on his doctorate when dh was little and his mom was typing it for him (back in the days when you still had to use a typewriter!!!) His parents spent every weekend working on that. By the time they finished, dh was in middle school and didn't want to go anywhere with his parents. Now if I drag dh out, he really enjoys it. However it is a struggle to get him to consent to going!

That's lovely! I am sure she will absolutely love it!

I am sure I could made that dress but I don't think it would exactly flatter my fuller figure. :rotfl:

Hooray for you! I can't wait to see what you make!

Today I was working on a lot of appliques. In between when I needed to babysit the embroidery machine, I was working on a new dress pattern that I just bought. It is a pattern just for knits. I just love it! It was so super easy to make and went together in no time. I wasn't in love with the directions because I thought she did a few steps out of order but now that I have made it once, I will know how to change it up next time.
th_P4020002.jpg

Here is a close up of the fabric and of the fold over elastic that I used on the neckline and arms. I have a lot of the fabric left and will probably be able to make another dress with sleeves in the fall.
th_P4020003.jpg

Diane! That turned out amazing!!! I wish I could find some adorable knit fabrics to work with!

Even before I ever had kids, I wanted to make them clothes. My mom bought me a sewing machine years ago, that's still sitting in the box. I've never even had the time to try. My daughter is now seven, and I feel like I've miss some amazing opportunities.

We move in a couple of weeks, out of our tiny apartment into a four bedroom house. I made a joke about having a craft a room ... but now it's no longer a joke. I want to play!

Thanks for the inspiration ladies! I'm looking forward to ending this semester and making something ... yay!

That would be awesome if you could dig that machine out and learn! That's the best way - IMO - just get that out and an old pillow case, read the manual cover to cover a few times, and start sewing. :lovestruc

th_P1060742.jpg

The dress i made for dd when we go to Disney this is the second time doing this pattern and it turned out great!

dress i made for a friend. she loves aurora! i like it so much i am making one for my dd. I did it using the link some one posted here! thanks who ever you were!
th_P1060744.jpg

Soooo adorable!

I wish I could show pictures of what I've been working on, but they are gifts for people who may (or may not) lurk here... Soon enough, I can share. :wizard:

D~

Loved all of your pictures, but this snow white is just precious! How hard was it to modify the peasant into snow white (really it's just doing the sleeves different, isn't it? or am I way off?)???

I've purchased that fabric at Hobby Lobby, Amy.

And I love the Peace Mickey shirt! I just love that design. . . I have an entire outfit of Peace <3 Mickey in my head but no real reason to make it a reality.

OMG! Thank you! I couldn't figure out why it would change colors sometimes even though I knew it shouldn't be!

Just Fabrics in Cranston, RI has that Alice line (or she did last time I was in there - Michelle - have you been in lately???) . . . I made my boys shorts out of the yellow scatter and faux tie t-shirts out of the blue Mad Hatter scatter. Anyway, Just Fabrics is awesome and she will ship for you. I don't have her number handy, but she is on Facebook and I originally found her through a Google search. Oh! And her prices ROCK!

Hey lady! How are you????

WHERE did you get that Pirate Print????? LOVE it!

So I'm NOT crazy that I keep the laptop open with a pic of the design???
Sorry to hear your BG item got messed up . . .

Good to know! Thanks!!!

Oooh! And I came here to post about a sale at Just Peachy Applique! I just got 18 designs for $9.00!!! Purchase 15 designs or more and get them 50% off!!!!
Finn is in love with her Avengers and I just got them for 50¢ a piece . . . so far she has Thor, IronMan, Hulk, and Captain America. She says she's coming out with more soon too . . .

I hear ya on the staying caught up! I had 8 pages to read tonight!!!

I see you came to post about Just Peachy too!

I swear you just read my mind about the tack down stitches, etc.

I LOVE that Superman Shirt!!!! So sweet of you!

You just rock - I hope you know that - you are always willing to help out :hug:

Congrats on the niece! I just made a bunch of stuff for a sorority sister who had a baby girl. . .I had way too much fun making panda items (our sorority mascot)!

There isn't a code needed for Just Peachy. Just make sure you're logged in when you buy. . .You can actually get more than 15 designs. I got 18 for $9.00!!!

Is a code needed for Planet Applique????

I got the pirate print at Walmart.

I bought them from JustPeachyApplique dot com - Thing 1 & 2 came together and Thing 3 was a separate purchase. Total I spent $2.00 :-) They're pretty simple appliques - just white fabric and black stitching, but they did stitch out nicely. Honestly, I grabbed them because they were so cheap and I LOVE those Thing shirts and thought they'd come in handy for a Give at some point (which, as you can see, they did). The entire site is on sale plus she has scavenger hunts for even more discounted items. When I made that purchase I think I spent $11.50 and got somewhere around 20 different designs.

Thanks I will head over and see what other goodies I can find :thumbsup2

It was so scary!! I was terrified I was going to die. It may sound dramatic, but they moved me to ICU b/c they didn't know what to do. My entire head was swelling. I am still mending. The ENT is keeping a close eye on me, JIC it wasn't just adenoiditis. He is starting to worry about nasal polyps or tumor. Which is terribly scary, as well. I am taking a lot of meds. Worries me with the baby.:sad1:

I am about 17 weeks now!! We were NOT planning on another baby, but this was our 2011 souvinier! lol! BUT! This will be the last!! I can't believe we are going to be a 6 person (5) family!!!!:scared1:

Yikes! That was scary and then some! I am glad that you are on the mend. Please make sure you continue to take time to heal.

I guess that's the kind of souvie that you get to keep forever! I hope you will have a smooth, healthy pregnancy.

I saw a nice skirt with a shirred waist -- I think the person used two mens' extra large t's and cut them down and shirred to make a waist. If you are interested in something like that this is the link:
http://sewlikemymom.com/the-shirt-skirt/

I want to make a skirt like that for myself -- someday!

If you have a 3" that would be great -- I'm just looking for something smaller than 3.5 inches so we can fit it on a toiletry bag Amy is making her mom for her birthday. I'll pm you my e-mail address in case you have it.

I may try the skirt when I get through my current pile to "to do" items. I will look into the applique when I get off the laptop. Just a disclaimer - it will not be as nice as Heather's!

Did my husband just agree to buy me a new sewing machine so I can embroider? :faint:

I have lurked and lurked...and lurked some more on this board and I think my excessive sighing and sad faces at all the awesome things I'm missing out on in this thread have finally worn him down!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Congrats! I look forward to seeing your creations!

th_P4020002.jpg

th_P4020003.jpg

That's a nice dress. I have a couple of patterns for knits, I just need to get around to it on my "to do" pile!

Welcome! I hope the move will go smoothly and you'll get to play soon!

th_P1060742.jpg

th_P1060744.jpg

Great job on both outfits!

So if you remember about my vaccum saga, well we finally got it back from the shop today. It is now working again (and at a fraction of the cost of a new one!), so I think we will be in vaccuming mode in the next few days to get the place picked up again!

Diane! That turned out amazing!!! I wish I could find some adorable knit fabrics to work with!

D~
I ordered from a seller on etsy. There were no cute knit fabrics in the local stores. I got a couple of cute fabrics and the prices weren't too bad. A lot of knit fabrics tend to be much wider (like 60" wide!) so you get more fabric per yard.

That's a nice dress. I have a couple of patterns for knits, I just need to get around to it on my "to do" pile!

So if you remember about my vaccum saga, well we finally got it back from the shop today. It is now working again (and at a fraction of the cost of a new one!), so I think we will be in vaccuming mode in the next few days to get the place picked up again!
I have wanted to learn more about sewing with knits for a while and was hesitant. I still need to play around with the serger's settings a little bit to get it just right for the knit fabrics. One good tip that I got from the new pattern is to put stabilizer in the shoulder seams so that they don't pucker and get funny looking.

Glad you got your vacuum back and that it works well. I am never sure with appliances if we should repair them or replace them. I am glad it worked out well for you.

Diane... Did you use your serger to sew the entire knit garment? Or did you use your sewing machine for part of it?

How is your digitizing going? It was pretty amazing when I left - so I can only imagine how awesome it is now. :)

D~

Hey all - got an awesome discount code from Heather Sue for April discounts in her newsletter... So check your emails!

Not sure if I can post the codes here or not, so I am not going to.

D~ <--- Who is tempted to buy even though I don't own a machine yet... :rolleyes1

Diane... Did you use your serger to sew the entire knit garment? Or did you use your sewing machine for part of it?

How is your digitizing going? It was pretty amazing when I left - so I can only imagine how awesome it is now. :)

D~
I sewed the whole thing with the serger, except for the neckline and arm holes where I used the fold over elastic to finish them. I was babysitting the embroidery machine while I was making this dress but if I wasn't, I think I could have made the entire dress, including cutting it out in less than 45 minutes! It was such an easy pattern. I am hoping to make another one either today or tomorrow with some of the other knit fabric that I ordered.

The digitizing is going really well. I have a bunch of new designs. So many that I haven't had time to stitch them all out. I really enjoy being able to create my own designs. I am still learning though and each time I do a design, I find a couple of small things that need to be changed or improved.

I sewed the whole thing with the serger, except for the neckline and arm holes where I used the fold over elastic to finish them. I was babysitting the embroidery machine while I was making this dress but if I wasn't, I think I could have made the entire dress, including cutting it out in less than 45 minutes! It was such an easy pattern. I am hoping to make another one either today or tomorrow with some of the other knit fabric that I ordered.

The digitizing is going really well. I have a bunch of new designs. So many that I haven't had time to stitch them all out. I really enjoy being able to create my own designs. I am still learning though and each time I do a design, I find a couple of small things that need to be changed or improved.

Is your store closed right now? I've been trying to find it, and I am not having any luck... If you could PM me the link - that would be awesome! :lovestruc

D~

I have lurked and lurked...and lurked some more on this board and I think my excessive sighing and sad faces at all the awesome things I'm missing out on in this thread have finally worn him down!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

:cheer2::cheer2:

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes :goodvibes I havent sewed for about 10 years, so this should be interesting! I guess I'll start off with simple skirts and pillow case dresses. One thing I know, I have more ideas than I have time or money for, so heres hoping this sewing thing doesnt get me in trouble :rotfl:
I'm so excited though, I feel like if you filled Julies hands with fabric and notions this picture would be an accurate description of me.
julie.png

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes :goodvibes I havent sewed for about 10 years, so this should be interesting! I guess I'll start off with simple skirts and pillow case dresses. One thing I know, I have more ideas than I have time or money for, so heres hoping this sewing thing doesnt get me in trouble :rotfl:
I'm so excited though, I feel like if you filled Julies hands with fabric and notions this picture would be an accurate description of me.
julie.png

Funny you should post this pic. This is my mom's favorite movie. My mom and dad are traveling through Europe right now and her dream was to see where it was filmed. The other day her dream came true and she was able to see it, she even went on the Sound of Music tour. She couldn't drag my dad on it so he went for a hike in the area but she said she had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see her pictures.

I have a job interview today and then when I get home I plan on posting a few pics of some recent projects. For those that sew for yourselves I made a top that is perfect for work. I'll have to make more of them because I really like the look of it.

I was reading Self magazine and found a version of a pillow case dress for adults by a designer, Derek Lam. I bet we could make these....

dklam4007612116_p1_1-0_254x500.jpg

Derek Lam
Asymmetrical Halter Dress
$1,490.00

It look like they left a space in the center of the back to tie the dress. Great idea for a little kids dress too. May have to try it on my next dress and make something for my DD15. :cool1::yay:
That is a cool dress! It would force me to tone my arms and shoulders! I say you buy one and then whip up a pattern to share with the rest of us :) It would definitely be feasible to do, but I'm not sure if could get it to billow quite right and not sure it would work as well with a cotton fabric.

W

th_P4020002.jpg

th_P4020003.jpg
Very nice :) I need to splurge on some more knits -- my dd seems to prefer knits over cotton.

th_P1060742.jpg

th_P1060744.jpg
Both dresses look great!

Y I will look into the applique when I get off the laptop. Just a disclaimer - it will not be as nice as Heather's!

I ended up just reducing Heather Sue's on my machine as it reduces to 3 x 3.5 as well and I already had it on my machine. Then we put an initial in the Mickey head as a separate step -- I didn't unhoop so figured it would center fine, but stupid me didn't account for the ears, so the letter isn't centered in the face -- it sits too high. Amy was OK with it, but next time I do something like that I need to remember to reposition the initial.

Glad your vacuum is well again. Sometimes I find it's not worth fixing something b/c it can be pricey -- sounds like you got a good deal though. The other issue we have is we'll get something fixed and then an different part will break. Happy vacuuming!

Hey all - got an awesome discount code from Heather Sue for April discounts in her newsletter... So check your emails!

Not sure if I can post the codes here or not, so I am not going to.

D~ <--- Who is tempted to buy even though I don't own a machine yet... :rolleyes1
Heather sends codes every month. Me thinks you are itching closer and closer to getting a machine!!!

I love the pillowcase dresses- I want to try to make one for DD, and now my oldest can have one too :)

Got some Disney fabric at Walmart this weekend for skirts, and t-shirts for little girls were on clearance for $2 that match perfectly :goodvibes

Now to take a picture of my quilt, and get sewing :cool1:

I have a job interview today and then when I get home I plan on posting a few pics of some recent projects. For those that sew for yourselves I made a top that is perfect for work. I'll have to make more of them because I really like the look of it.
Good luck on the interview. When you get home you will have to post a picture of your new top!

Heather sends codes every month. Me thinks you are itching closer and closer to getting a machine!!!
I think I agree with you. Before we know it, D will have an embroidery machine.

Today I was still working on some appliques for an order. In between babysitting the embroidery machine, I worked on another dress with knit fabric. This morning I had to pop into Kmart for trash bags and they had their left over winter clothes marked down to $1.99. I bought two ladies xl turtlenecks to cut up for their fabric. This dress was one of the turtlenecks. You might recognize the fold over elastic. You will probably be seeing it quite often because I have like 8 more yards of it. :rotfl:
P4030004.jpg

I did a quick little embroidery with her name on it up on the chest. If I'd had time, I would have put an applique on the skirt.
P4030005.jpg

BTW, the ruffle at the bottom was the sleeves from the turtleneck. I cut them open and then cut them in half. It worked out well because the dress was going to be slightly short until I thought of adding the ruffle.

You haven't??? Okay - when I bought it, she had it on the "floating" shelves that are right in front of the majority of character prints. The second time I picked up a little more it was in the top right back corner of the character prints section. Does that make sense?

JUST FABRICS - 401-383-6286

Yes... I think I do remember seeing it now:confused3 Old age is setting in :rotfl:

:thumbsup2 Must be something in the air... my DH just said if something happens to mine maybe I can upgrade to $2000 one.

th_P4020002.jpg

th_P4020003.jpg

Everything you did today came out adorable.

th_P1060742.jpg

th_P1060744.jpg

So pretty.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter