Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your mishap on the Big Give item. I hate it when I ruin a project.

WELL, I finished my 2nd DD's Easter dress tonight. I had wanted to finish it last night, but got too tired, and after tonight I'm REALLY glad I stopped. Although I only had two steps left to finish it off, those last two steps took a while! I had lots of rows of shirring to do, which in and of itself is an easy thing to do, but there were just a lot of rows. The other step was making a buttonhole, and don't you know that this is the 1st project I have ever made one for? SO I had to practice doing that several times on scraps before I tried it on the actual dress.

This dress was made from the "In the Garden Shirred Twirly Dress" tutorial found here: http://fromanigloo.blogspot.com/2010/05/in-garden-shirred-twirly-dress.html

th_picture138.jpg

Close up of the back shirring:
th_picture141.jpg

And just for fun, my "hobo" dressform:
th_picture142.jpg

Sunshine

For the BG, I just ended up using the "ruined" pieces because the wrong colour looked plausible and that I already invested 3 hours in the items. I guess I will just be more careful in the future.

Great job on the dress! I really want to try shirring one day, except I need to find an inspiration that is suitable for an adult. I may need to CASE your dressform!

QUESTION
Has anyone tried to reduce HeatherSue's Mickey head applique to get it to be around 3 inches? Amy wants an applique of the Mickey head with an initial in the center for a toiletry bag so we need it smaller than a 4 inch Mickey head since it's for a small bag. I don't think doing the fill and then putting an initial on top of that will work well -- I think that would be too thick.

I am mad because I got a free design for the Mickey heads and didn't download since I had Heather's, but I see theirs has a three inch applique! Grrr!!!!

I may have a 3x3 applique when I played with SEU. I can check on the desktop tomorrow.

ENABLER ALERT

Planet Applique has 70% everything today only -- I don't see a coupon code in my e-mail so I think it gets applied automatically at checkout.

I guess I should be glad that I don't usually sign on until it is too late to take advantage of these one day deals. It's the easiest way for me to save money!

We are doing pretty well. Thank you! I spent most of last week in the hospital with pneumonia and extreme adenioditis. Probably wouldn't be such a big deal, but NO ONE wants to treat you when you are pregnant!!! lol!!

So sorry to hear that you were sick last week. Oh wait, does it mean that Isabelle and Gabriel are getting a new sib? If that's the case, congrats!!

AMEN! I just did a superman shirt for a little boy fighting cancer and it was a complete embroidery shirt. It was my first all embroidery with no applique and it took me about 15 minutes to figure out which part was being stitched out first. I was so thankful to have my laptop nearby, I had to actually bring it up in SEU. It was a free design but didn't come with instructions...which I can't complain since it was free. That's another good thing about the program it shows you the stitch color, count and if you highlight it it puts a box around the part you've highlighted.

th_IMAG0245.jpg

There's such a baby boom here I've been busy making baby gifts and not much Disney. I have a niece coming in May I'm ecstatic about. I can't wait to have a little girl to sew for, I didn't sew/embroider when Hannah was little. :( I hope we get to go in 2013 for all the new stuff in Fantasyland... I'm a Beauty and the Beast lover so I'm super excited! And I'm having a hard time shopping for my Big Give...with all the Easter stuff out they haven't quite gotten out all the summer fun stuff.

JustPeachyApplique.com is having an amazing sale today too. Spend $15 and get 50% off and all of her designs right now are $1 so you get 15 designs for $7.50.

Andrea- I can try and scale down the mickey head in SEU if you'd like. If it's not too much of a scale down, I think it would be alright. Just let me know and I'll try. :)

What a nice shirt for the little guy! I wonder if that code is still good tomorrow...

Love everything posted this week. no sewing this week but we had a wonderful spring break. Went to the zoo, went swimming, went for a hike. This weekend we got lots of yardwork done. Today was in the 80's, we spent most of the day in the yard and at the park. Tomorrow it will snow just in time to go back to school. Yuck, but at least it sounds like a great sewing day.

Sounds like you had a great spring break!

I'm working the weekend as usual. I've been working on trying to make some roses out of fabric strips to match her Ariel dress for her headband and possibly on the dress. It's fun, but I'm having trouble keeping my strips rolled up. Anyone here ever made them? I'm thinking of basting down the center of the roll. Maybe then it will still fluff out to make petals but stay together? :confused3

Did you try the frayed rosette tutorial by CarlaC? You can download it for free from YMCT. It may give you inspirations on your issues?

Yahoo!! Finished the Briar Rose sundress - hopefully it fits the model, but I'm thinking she'll be one happy chick tomorrow morning! :)

Briar Rose costume by S & J Harrison, on Flickr

Great job! I am sure it will be a nice surprise for your model tomorrow!

So sorry to hear that you were sick last week. Oh wait, does it mean that Isabelle and Gabriel are getting a new sib? If that's the case, congrats!!

It was so scary!! I was terrified I was going to die. It may sound dramatic, but they moved me to ICU b/c they didn't know what to do. My entire head was swelling. I am still mending. The ENT is keeping a close eye on me, JIC it wasn't just adenoiditis. He is starting to worry about nasal polyps or tumor. Which is terribly scary, as well. I am taking a lot of meds. Worries me with the baby.:sad1:

I am about 17 weeks now!! We were NOT planning on another baby, but this was our 2011 souvinier! lol! BUT! This will be the last!! I can't believe we are going to be a 6 person (5) family!!!!:scared1:

Our spring break starts this week and I've gone temporarily insane and letting my daughter have a spend the night party with the 6 girls in her class Friday. :scared:

Are the disboards so slow for anyone else? I'm thinking it's my netbook but they have been taking me forever! to load.
I hope the party goes well -- we had four boys in the house for my ds's birthday sleepover and I was terrified b/c the year before we had allowed three and they were fairly wild. This year the kids were great and it actually was a breeze -- two of the three form the prior year came and then two new ones so I don't know if it was just the mix of kids or being 10 years old that made the difference. Of course girls can get chatty and loud so I advise a set of ear plugs prophylactically :rotfl:

The boards are slow! I've had a few days where they are fine and many days where I can't even get on a page and have to try later.

BTW, Is anyone going to the Everything Applique Conference April 27-28th? It's in Birmingham Alabama and i think the last day to register is April 4th. I'd LOVE to have someone to eat lunch with.

www.everythingapplique.com[/COLOR]
I'm only going if you have won the lottery and are paying my way :flower3:

Yahoo!! Finished the Briar Rose sundress - hopefully it fits the model, but I'm thinking she'll be one happy chick tomorrow morning! :)

That is really pretty -- the fabric looks beautiful! Most excellent job!!!

Great job on the dress! I really want to try shirring one day, except I need to find an inspiration that is suitable for an adult. I may need to CASE your dressform!

I may have a 3x3 applique when I played with SEU. I can check on the desktop tomorrow.

I guess I should be glad that I don't usually sign on until it is too late to take advantage of these one day deals. It's the easiest way for me to save money!
I saw a nice skirt with a shirred waist -- I think the person used two mens' extra large t's and cut them down and shirred to make a waist. If you are interested in something like that this is the link:
http://sewlikemymom.com/the-shirt-skirt/

I want to make a skirt like that for myself -- someday!

If you have a 3" that would be great -- I'm just looking for something smaller than 3.5 inches so we can fit it on a toiletry bag Amy is making her mom for her birthday. I'll pm you my e-mail address in case you have it.

It was so scary!! I was terrified I was going to die. It may sound dramatic, but they moved me to ICU b/c they didn't know what to do. My entire head was swelling. I am still mending. The ENT is keeping a close eye on me, JIC it wasn't just adenoiditis. He is starting to worry about nasal polyps or tumor. Which is terribly scary, as well. I am taking a lot of meds. Worries me with the baby.:sad1:

I am about 17 weeks now!! We were NOT planning on another baby, but this was our 2011 souvinier! lol! BUT! This will be the last!! I can't believe we are going to be a 6 person (5) family!!!!:scared1:
OMG! I missed reading you were sick! How scary is right! Congrats on the pregnancy though :) You remind me of a friend of mine -- she lost her first son (she was pushing him in his stroller on the sidewalk and he was hit by a driver :sad1:) -- my friend fortunately had only minor injuries. She then had another ds, a dd and an unplanned pg, also a ds. I tell her that her last was a gift from the son she lost. I hope you are on the mend now and the rest of your pg goes smoothly.

What a cute shirt and congrats on your niece. I just sewed something for my niece but she is not a girly girl. She wanted some SW pjs just like her cousins.:lmao:

Just Fabrics in Cranston, RI has that Alice line (or she did last time I was in there - Michelle - have you been in lately???) . . . I made my boys shorts out of the yellow scatter and faux tie t-shirts out of the blue Mad Hatter scatter. Anyway, Just Fabrics is awesome and she will ship for you. I don't have her number handy, but she is on Facebook and I originally found her through a Google search. Oh! And her prices ROCK!

:lmao:I'm no help because I have never seen that fabric there before or I would probably have bought some. Where in the store was it? I might have to go check it out.

That is adorable.:love:

I was really worried about you:hug: Glad you are feeling better.

I was really worried about you:hug: Glad you are feeling better.
:hug: Thanks sweetie.
OMG! I missed reading you were sick! How scary is right! Congrats on the pregnancy though :) You remind me of a friend of mine -- she lost her first son (she was pushing him in his stroller on the sidewalk and he was hit by a driver :sad1:) -- my friend fortunately had only minor injuries. She then had another ds, a dd and an unplanned pg, also a ds. I tell her that her last was a gift from the son she lost. I hope you are on the mend now and the rest of your pg goes smoothly.

Thank you. I am sorry about your friend, though.

I am soooo far behind... I feel like such an awful Disboutiquer!

I had the thread multiquoted last week - and then someone closed my page... I hate it when that happens. So, I only went back a few pages this morning.

I wanted to invite everyone to my TR... I just started Day 4. The link is in my siggy if you are interested. :)

Yay! I can finally post pics!!! Thought I'd share some of my first projects:

Matching Mom and Daughter aprons
th_IMG_0901.jpg

I learned that I hate bias tape after making these... :)

Then I tried pillowcase dresses for DD:
IMG_0937.jpg

After those I discovered Carla C's ebooks (thanks to this board) and it made everything much easier and way more fun!

Easy Fit pants for my nephew (6 months):
th_IMG_0981.jpg

Easy Fit for DS
th_IMG_1066.jpg

Molly Peasant for DD
th_IMG_1017.jpg

Snow White inspired Molly peasant
th_IMG_1147.jpg

I'll post some more recent projects later

Everything is wonderful - I especially love the aprons! I know that bias tape is really hard to get used to - but it really accents the whole thing - and I think you did a great job!

Super cute!! Where did you get the red mickey fabric?? I haven't seen that anywhere I have looked, is it online??

This is the shirt that Andrea did for my mom. Allison got one from her pixie dust give and my mom commented about how much she liked it! So I asked Andrea to teach me (for when I ever get my machine!!) I plan to give this to her for her birthday next week!!

th_2012-03-31_09-51-21_364.jpg

Allison loved it. She loved how the blue inside the peace sign matched the shirt! :lmao: I have to say this picture isn't the best and doesn't show the true colors of the shirt or applique.:confused3

I love this shirt! The peace Mickey head is one of my favorite designs, and I love the fabric you chose to fill it with. I wish I live that close to Andrea...

Haven't been over here in AGES!!!! Maybe I can get caught up....lol!!

Alisha!!! Glad to see you here. I am so sorry about your week last week - I was praying hard for you. I am so glad you are feeling better, I sure hope they are able to figure out what happened. :hug:

Here are the other 2 short sets I made for the Disney trip.
th_IMG_2946.jpg

th_IMG_2944.jpg

I love all the new things posted!!

These turned out so awesome! I especially love the pirates set - I dunno why I like pirate fabric so much? LOL

WELL, I finished my 2nd DD's Easter dress tonight. I had wanted to finish it last night, but got too tired, and after tonight I'm REALLY glad I stopped. Although I only had two steps left to finish it off, those last two steps took a while! I had lots of rows of shirring to do, which in and of itself is an easy thing to do, but there were just a lot of rows. The other step was making a buttonhole, and don't you know that this is the 1st project I have ever made one for? SO I had to practice doing that several times on scraps before I tried it on the actual dress.

This dress was made from the "In the Garden Shirred Twirly Dress" tutorial found here: http://fromanigloo.blogspot.com/2010/05/th_in-garden-shirred-twirly-dress.html
Close up of the back shirring:
th_picture141.jpg

And just for fun, my "hobo" dressform:
th_picture142.jpg

Sunshine

I love the shirring! I've been trying to master it for a while - I just don't know what I am doing wrong??? :confused3 I think I am using too heavy fabric?

Love your hobo dressform! :thumbsup2

ARGH! I'm already behind.. AGAIN! Everything is so precious. I love seeing everything everyone makes!

Sometimes this is really tricky for me too. I have learned to be careful of not only what tack down stitch I use, to make sure it doesn't show through on the next.. Like using white under black.. sometimes it can show through the satin stitch but also the color of fabric I'm satin stitching around. If I use a white on black fabric a lot of times those lil threads will show through or you'll see some of the black fabric from the shirt pull through the white satin stitch... Which probably at the end of the day means I've stabilized wrong but little things like that drive me crazy. And you can't really use fabric markers to touch up when that is the case.

AMEN! I just did a superman shirt for a little boy fighting cancer and it was a complete embroidery shirt. It was my first all embroidery with no applique and it took me about 15 minutes to figure out which part was being stitched out first. I was so thankful to have my laptop nearby, I had to actually bring it up in SEU. It was a free design but didn't come with instructions...which I can't complain since it was free. That's another good thing about the program it shows you the stitch color, count and if you highlight it it puts a box around the part you've highlighted.

th_IMAG0245.jpg

There's such a baby boom here I've been busy making baby gifts and not much Disney. I have a niece coming in May I'm ecstatic about. I can't wait to have a little girl to sew for, I didn't sew/embroider when Hannah was little. :( I hope we get to go in 2013 for all the new stuff in Fantasyland... I'm a Beauty and the Beast lover so I'm super excited! And I'm having a hard time shopping for my Big Give...with all the Easter stuff out they haven't quite gotten out all the summer fun stuff.

JustPeachyApplique.com is having an amazing sale today too. Spend $15 and get 50% off and all of her designs right now are $1 so you get 15 designs for $7.50.

Andrea- I can try and scale down the mickey head in SEU if you'd like. If it's not too much of a scale down, I think it would be alright. Just let me know and I'll try. :)

This turned out wonderful Beth!!! You are so great with that machine of yours! I am still working on your project... I was a slacker this weekend... No worries though - I hope to have it finished by the end of the week. :lovestruc I have to work on it in between another project.

I LOVE this!!! Super duper WOW!!!!! :lovestruc

Miss you all - now that our trip is over and things are starting to settle down a little bit - I hope to stay caught up. Dare I hope?

D~

I also had picked up some of this pink Mickey fabric.

mickey%20front.jpg

I absolutely love this dress!! Totally is my daughter's style!! What pattern did you use?

I wish I had made that dress !!! I just have the fabric.

I was reading Self magazine and found a version of a pillow case dress for adults by a designer, Derek Lam. I bet we could make these....

dklam4007612116_p1_1-0_254x500.jpg

dklam4007612116_p2_1-0_254x500.jpg

dklam4007612116_p4_1-0_254x500.jpg

Derek Lam
Asymmetrical Halter Dress
$1,490.00

It look like they left a space in the center of the back to tie the dress. Great idea for a little kids dress too. May have to try it on my next dress and make something for my DD15. :cool1::yay:

First - LOVE that "adult pillowcase dress" !!! So cute!

OMG! I am in love with this!!!! Did you use the Simply Sweet??? You should totally write a tute on how you did this - LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Um, and let's all remember, Marianne does NOT have a little girl. Thing Finn would wear it? :rotfl2:

Oh that is so cute!!

Hey Marianne! Better than last week! lol!!

Glad you're improving! I've kept you in my prayers!!!! :hug:

:lmao:I'm no help because I have never seen that fabric there before or I would probably have bought some. Where in the store was it? I might have to go check it out.

You haven't??? Okay - when I bought it, she had it on the "floating" shelves that are right in front of the majority of character prints. The second time I picked up a little more it was in the top right back corner of the character prints section. Does that make sense?

JUST FABRICS - 401-383-6286

QUESTION

For those that use SEU for embroidery fonts, I do NOT have a machine, but have the pleasure of Andrea doing an applique for my Moms bag. If I download thefree program to my computer, could I attach something to a flashdrive to take with me?? I really want to use the Waltograph font and someone mentioned it last week that they used SEU for it?!?! And if so, is it easy enough for me to figure out? I contemplated purchasing the fonts from someone, but then the disclaimer is you have to know how to combine things yourself. I have NO clue how to do that:lmao: so figured not a good option.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!! If it works, I may get to put names on a few shirts! ;)

QUESTION

For those that use SEU for embroidery fonts, I do NOT have a machine, but have the pleasure of Andrea doing an applique for my Moms bag. If I download thefree program to my computer, could I attach something to a flashdrive to take with me?? I really want to use the Waltograph font and someone mentioned it last week that they used SEU for it?!?! And if so, is it easy enough for me to figure out? I contemplated purchasing the fonts from someone, but then the disclaimer is you have to know how to combine things yourself. I have NO clue how to do that:lmao: so figured not a good option.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!! If it works, I may get to put names on a few shirts! ;)
I have sent you a PM re this.

I've been following your post on facebook and keeping you in my prayers... I hope it just turns out to be much less severe. Both times I was pregnant my nose was always stuffy where things were all swollen.. I HATED IT! I can't imagine what you're going through!

QUESTION

I saw she PM'd you but I was just going to answer in case anyone else needed to know. You have to INSTALL the waltograph font on your computer for it to show up in SEU. Make sure you download from a reputable source so you don't get a spyware/malware/virus. Know that when you do that... it does stitch out differently then the Walt font you can buy already digitized. You can tell where letters should meet like on capital E or M's. I've had some letters that won't even stitch out at all like Q. And then a lot of times you have to resize because its all capital letters, you'll notice the difference in the names on the toiletry bags but they were both done in a 4x4 hoop. After I got the name all situated I added the filled Mickey head from Heather. These are two things I've made using the installed font, I'm too lazy to put all those letters together. :headache:

IMAG0222.jpg
Disney11542-1.jpg

Where the Q didn't show up and I have no idea how to do all that fancy stuff to fix it. I just had to use a different font.
2011-11-100857151-1.jpg

If at all possible, I would download SEU on a laptop and take it with you to Andrea's. I've saved things before in SEU and they don't show up from my USB stick to my machine, even though on the computer they show being on my USB, so I've had to "redigitize" and then re-save. Make sure after you're done putting your design together in SEU you hit the lightening bolt at the top of the screen before you try and save.

HTH!

I can't wait to see my stuff D-- like I said, take your time. It makes the anticipation that much more fun. :)

Just FYI:
This is from the Creative DISign boards:
A lot of people like dafont.com too.

(it's a lot easier in the newer versions of Windows, once you download the font at the top of the screen you just hit "install" and it does everything for you.)

And if you ever need to match a font, scan it in, go here:
www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ or here: www.identifont.com/

Directions for Downloading a font
How do I download a font?

1. go to one of the sites listed above
2. Pick a font you want to download and click Download/ pc/ mac OS X (IN picture)

3. Click open then Extract all files (In pictures)

4. Follow the "Win Zip" instructions
5. Click Start at the bottom of your computer screen
6. Click control panel (A link in your start menu)
7. Click "appearances and themes"
8. Click fonts (on the left hand side bar)
9. Click your extracted file (otherwise known as a font) and drop it into the "font" folder
10. You have now successfully downloaded a font!
Or
Go to your Fonts folder (either by going to Control Panel/Fonts or by going to C:\Windows\Fonts) and then using File then Install New Font.
Navigate to where you unzipped the font. Then select the font(s) [you can use Select All] and click OK.
Alternately, you can move the font directly into the Fonts folder by copying and pasting. I find I have problems sometimes with it installing correctly sometimes, however. So normally I do the "install font".

Did my husband just agree to buy me a new sewing machine so I can embroider? :faint:

I have lurked and lurked...and lurked some more on this board and I think my excessive sighing and sad faces at all the awesome things I'm missing out on in this thread have finally worn him down!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

QUESTION

I have the same question!! I have SEU and the Waltograph font, how do I create a design? Is there a way to import the font?
thanks
Stephanie

Hello ladies sorry I didnt read the whole thread but I was wondering if someone on here that sews can sell me 2 size 4t Dr. Seuss or The Lorax dresses or show me where I can purchase it from. I'm going to Universal Studios and Island of Adventures the last week of this month and I would love to see my 4yr old in keeping with the theme. Thank You kindly

Beth - You are just amazing! Have I told you that recently? You have such a great way of explaining things - that even those of us with out an embroidery machine :rolleyes1 can understand it. :lovestruc

Did my husband just agree to buy me a new sewing machine so I can embroider? :faint:

I have lurked and lurked...and lurked some more on this board and I think my excessive sighing and sad faces at all the awesome things I'm missing out on in this thread have finally worn him down!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Congratulations!

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter