Disboutiquers Part 19 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now my vent for the day....I bought Catie a cheap pair of jeans from WallyWorld for my first jean applique endeavor. I washed them 3 or 4 times. This weekend I made the Alice & Hatter appliques and she loved them. Just took them out of the dryer & Alice's face is navy & her apron is all streaky!!!!! ARGH!!! I know I should have waited to go the store to get some color catchers....now I am just mad at myself!
Do you have oxyclean?? That happened to me once (denim jean on a WHITE fabric) and I pre treated with some oxyclean paste (just some of the powder mixed with water) and then washed it with it oxyclean and it came out normal/clean :)

Here is my new baby.. :love:
IMG_4381.jpg

We have been rearranging furniture to make room for a new sewing table to put it on that my hubby is building so sorry for the delay! I've had it home since Sunday night. :goodvibes
I haven't had that much time to play with it yet, but I think the most impressive part for me is the sewing. It just does wonderful things with sewing stitches that my older machine didn't do. I'm loving the knee lever thing that lifts the presser foot too. The buttonholes are gorgeous!!!

Beautiful!!

th_IMG_4381.jpg

We have been rearranging furniture to make room for a new sewing table to put it on that my hubby is building so sorry for the delay! I've had it home since Sunday night. :goodvibes
I haven't had that much time to play with it yet, but I think the most impressive part for me is the sewing. It just does wonderful things with sewing stitches that my older machine didn't do. I'm loving the knee lever thing that lifts the presser foot too. The buttonholes are gorgeous!!!
OOOHHH!!! VERY nice!! It looks like it's doing a really nice job, too! Pretty pretty!

My first t-shirt appliques - for Noah's big give! - I can see a few little boo-boo's, but I don't think they are bad for my first try on that stretchy t-shirt material! Hope the boys like them...I am really happy with how they came out...

24781_358417207126_524102126_4029509_4817409_n.jpg

Great job!

Here is the outfit I made Isabel for Valentine's Day, she was 3 months old here (3 days shy of 4 months). The top is Carla C's Portrait Peasant (made the 6 month size, fit her big, but we can use it again since it doesn't actually say anything about Valentine's Day) and the bottoms are Crala C's easyfits - I had to do a modification. Isabel is a slim baby, so the 6 month size was HUGE! So, I started over and got the 18-inch doll pattern and extended the leg part and the behind part to accommodate for her diaper, but it fit perfectly :)

scan0002-1.jpg
So cute!
Last week someone posted a photo of a beautiful snow white outfit. I was inspired by it and here is my result.
IMG_1979.jpg

The bodice and shorts are navy blue eyelet, the skirt is a pretty yellow calico with roses on it, and the sleeves are broadcloth. The bows were added for pretty and also to cover up the fact that I serge everything with white thread :rolleyes1 I guess I get a little lazy...
Thanks
Stephanie
I love it- especially the use of the eyelet!
Here's the second test skirt for the Audrey skirt pattern (named in honor of a little girl who must have 'butt ruffles' on most things :rotfl:)

minnie_ruffles1.jpg

I'm very pleased with how the development of this is going. I used the actual pattern I drafted for this one and only had to tweak a couple things. The next step is to resize the pattern and see how it works.

J'adore!!!
IMG_4381.jpg

Congrats on your new baby!

IMG_4381.jpg

Congrats on the new machine!

IMG_4381.jpg

I have a Bernina 180, and I love it! It stitches out beautifully! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

Do you have oxyclean?? That happened to me once (denim jean on a WHITE fabric) and I pre treated with some oxyclean paste (just some of the powder mixed with water) and then washed it with it oxyclean and it came out normal/clean :)

Thanks for the advice. I might try that tomorrow. I washed those jeans at least 3 times before I did the applique :headache:

LOVE the pictures lately (drooling over the machine even though I'd just be able to use it as a paper weight!!). I have so many ideas, and I wish I could bring them to life. I'm considering not working one summer so I can teach myself all this great stuff!!

I just booked our December trip :-)banana:), so I'm already trying to think of outfits and shirts to make. Here's hoping I get better than I am now. :laughing:

Keep posting the inspirations!!!

All the creations lately are just simply gorgeous. You all do a great job.

My pillowcases are in the mail for my Give A Day donation, but before I start sewing anything for my kids, I first have to sew on some badges. This is such a basic sewing task, but I need some advice and guidance, please. My kids participate in the Lowe's Build and Grow classes on Saturdays. (Great program and I highly recommend it.) They earn badges and I am supposed to sew them onto their aprons. Easier said than done. The apron is thick and stiff. The badges are even thicker. I'm trying to sew them on by hand. Part of the difficulty is in trying to NOT sew the pockets on the apron shut. I don't think that any type of fusible web would work because the badges have a plastic-like backing. What do you think?:confused3 What would make the sewing easier?
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks for any help! I appreciate it.

My pillowcases are in the mail for my Give A Day donation, but before I start sewing anything for my kids, I first have to sew on some badges. This is such a basic sewing task, but I need some advice and guidance, please. My kids participate in the Lowe's Build and Grow classes on Saturdays. (Great program and I highly recommend it.) They earn badges and I am supposed to sew them onto their aprons. Easier said than done. The apron is thick and stiff. The badges are even thicker. I'm trying to sew them on by hand. Part of the difficulty is in trying to NOT sew the pockets on the apron shut. I don't think that any type of fusible web would work because the badges have a plastic-like backing. What do you think?:confused3 What would make the sewing easier?
I had the same issue with those aprons and ending up gluing them on with fabri-tac instead.

Finished the Marie dress. Boy do I hate Marie right now. I spent all morning ripping her face off.

I still need to topstitch the ruffle. How do you finish the ruffle on the inside of the dress. It is raveling above the stitch line. I don't have a serger yet.

100_3457.jpg

Thank you all for the warm wishes for my machine. I'm excited to try lots of new things with her. :goodvibes
I have a Bernina 180, and I love it! It stitches out beautifully! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!
I sure hope I do. I'm frustrated with the art format thing right now, but it sews and embroiders like a dream. :)
Oh and I think I forgot to mention all the feet that I got with it. I'm in feet heaven!! I have a foot for every little thing.. Now to figure out how to use them.

Finished the Marie dress. Boy do I hate Marie right now. I spent all morning ripping her face off.

I still need to topstitch the ruffle. How do you finish the ruffle on the inside of the dress. It is raveling above the stitch line. I don't have a serger yet.

th_100_3457.jpg
You could just zig zag on your regular sewing machine. Sometimes you'll have a stitch called the overcast stitch that you can use to create a serged look as well. Trim your seam to about 1/4 of an inch and then zig zag or overcast. This is what I did for several years before I got my serger. Love the dress. I just commented on it on FB. You seem to be getting better and better on each dress. I love seeing that. Love this dress! It is just so sweet on her. :lovestruc

Now my vent for the day....I bought Catie a cheap pair of jeans from WallyWorld for my first jean applique endeavor. I washed them 3 or 4 times. This weekend I made the Alice & Hatter appliques and she loved them. Just took them out of the dryer & Alice's face is navy & her apron is all streaky!!!!! ARGH!!! I know I should have waited to go the store to get some color catchers....now I am just mad at myself!

I feel your pain. I haven't had that happen with applique but I did with decoupage patches. Since then I avoid using jeans that are dark blue. It seems like I can never get them to stop losing dye in the wash. Sorry I can't offer a fix for the problem but I did want to offer my sympathy. :goodvibes

I wonder if E6000 glue would work so you don't have to sew at all. I've used it to attach 'gems' to tshirts and they stayed on through many launderings (washer and dryer).

100_3457.jpg

Before I had a serger, I'd trim the seam allowance a bit and the zigzag stitch just over the edge of the fabric. That helped keep it from fraying and also kept all the edges fairly tidy so top stitching was easier.

Thanks everyone for the nice words about my new skirt. I'm working on the size changes tonight so I can do tests of different sizes next week (I hope). Hopefully my math won't fail me when calculating the ruffle length and spacing. :rolleyes1

100_3457.jpg

I love your Marie dress! Adorable!

Before I owned a serger, I would trim my raw edges clean about 3/8 inch away from the seam and then overcast the edge with the overcast setting on my machine. Another way is to use the zig zag stitch as others have mentioned. Once you've done that, you can iron your ruffle edge up and topstitch it for nice finished look :)

Last week someone posted a photo of a beautiful snow white outfit. I was inspired by it and here is my result.
th_IMG_1979.jpg

The bodice and shorts are navy blue eyelet, the skirt is a pretty yellow calico with roses on it, and the sleeves are broadcloth. The bows were added for pretty and also to cover up the fact that I serge everything with white thread :rolleyes1 I guess I get a little lazy...
Thanks
Stephanie
Great job on the Snow White. I love the eyelet too.

Here's the second test skirt for the Audrey skirt pattern (named in honor of a little girl who must have 'butt ruffles' on most things :rotfl:)

th_minnie_ruffles1.jpg

I'm very pleased with how the development of this is going. I used the actual pattern I drafted for this one and only had to tweak a couple things. The next step is to resize the pattern and see how it works.

What a pretty skirt and I love Minnie's expression

th_IMG_4381.jpg

Congratulations, can't wait to see what you create.

th_100_3457.jpg
How cute. Your Marie looks great and the fabric is so nice for spring and summer.

The apron sounds alot thicker then my daughter's brownie vest but I usually glue down her badges first with fabric glue and then sew them on with a zig zag stitch on my machines. I am not a hand sewer and the glue helps the badges stay in place while I sew them.

100_3457.jpg

Super cute! I love your fabric choice.

We love going to these! Do you have a sewing machine? I just used that and used a wider zigzag to go around them. I ended up just sewing the pockets shut, I left the middle one open and just didn't put any patches on it. DS7 wants to know when I am sewing on the rest! I have a pile of atleast 20.

th_100_3457.jpg

I just love that fabric! I bought several yards of it a while back and been waiting for spring to make something! Marie looks so cute on it!

Toadstool, love the new machine!

Adi, your little one is getting so big so fast! Her hair is growing really fast too! So adorable and cute outfit too!

100_3457.jpg

Your Marie turned out beautiful! We are big princess fans, be believe it or not The Aristocats is our favorite Disney movie. Katie would LOVE this! :goodvibes

Go to the local boy scout store. They have this stuff that is made for badges like this and it is nearly indestructable. It can be washed and washed and not lose its grip. It comes on a large sheet and you rub it on with a metal spoon. The only way to remove it is a lot of goo gone on the back and time.

100_3457.jpg

Love Marie!! The outfit is so cute and I don't think Marie is lost in the print at all. I know you had mentioned that in an earlier post. I love the color combination. I am definately going to have to do a Marie outfit for my DGD2.

I agree with PPs. Go with the zig zag. That is how I finish all my seams (I don't have a serger either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter