Dis Viking River Cruise 10/19 - 10/26/2015

I've got some of the suggested books from Viking's website on hold at the library. I'd be interested in any recommendations anyone has for additional books, or if you really like any of the ones they already have listed.

I still can't believe we are going back to Paris!!!!! :)

I've got some of the suggested books from Viking's website on hold at the library. I'd be interested in any recommendations anyone has for additional books, or if you really like any of the ones they already have listed.

I still can't believe we are going back to Paris!!!!! :)

I have a good one on visiting the D-Day beaches that you can borrow. David McCullough's The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris is all about famous Americans who fell in love with Paris and how it influenced them.

Also, if anyone is interested in reading some historical fiction, Sarah's Key is a great book about a French Jewish family during WWII. Going much further back, I have read several good books by Sharon Kay Penman about the period shortly after the Norman conquest of England through the 13th Century, alot of which takes place in northern France (When Christ and His Saints Slept, Time and Chance, Devil's Brood, Lionheart, A King's Ransom). Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine and their children (including the kings Richard the Lionheart and John) are the ultimate in dysfunctional families. Very entertaining and tragic. Of course, there is the Oscar winning movie The Lion in Winter with Katharine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, and young Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton (Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close did a remake about 10 years ago). If you are looking for more of a beach read type fiction from this period, I recommend the author Elizabeth Chadwick.

Laurie

With regard to the reading list, I would recommend both 1066 and D-Day, June 6th by Stephen Ambrose. Certainly, 1066 is wonderful if you (or the group) will be visiting the Bayeux tapestry in Bayeux (obviously) or would like a scholarly account of the Norman Conquest. As for the tapestry, it is a marvel and should not be missed if you have time in Bayeux (not sure if the group tour will visit there for any length) and that type of interest. As I recall, it is a timed ticket, so you will not spend a large part of your day.

Also, the Stephen Ambrose book should not be missed before visiting the landing beaches, etc. The website lists the D-Day, June 6th book, but Band of Brothers is also wonderful from the paratrooper perspective. If you watched the mini-series, you will recall that the Normandy invasion began the Company’s journey on the Continent. Both are easily read by those who want a general overview of events.

Finally, I have a fun book suggestion for Paris for those who want a light, breezy read - - The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz, an American pastry chef living in Paris. It is part tale of adaptive, ex pat living and part recipe book. It can be irreverent at times so it may not be suitable for all tastes. It is especially suited for those who have an interest in cuisine. Right up my alley!

I forgot you and Mike did that! You put something in that thread about it, didn't you? I'm going to have to go find that!

Laurie

Here's a link Laurie......

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/02/24/adventures-by-disney-cities-of-knights-and-lights/

I'm really thinking I want to go back to Mon Oncle le Vigneron, and Champagne..... decisions, decisions!

I need to find a good book on Normandy too. When we were packing and unpacking mom's house for renovation earlier this year, I discovered that my grandfather had been in Normandy during WWII.

Ann, David Lebovitz is amazing! He has a couple of books out and a fabulous blog too, in fact, that's how I found the restaurant in the blog.

Christy,

Thanks for reminding me of the David Lebovitz blog! I have been out of Paris "mode" for a while so I will have to check back in with that for sure. I know that I have heard of Mon Oncle le Vigneron and perhaps your entry is it? In any event, that may just appear on my "to-do" list as well. Thanks!

For those who might be extending their visit to the Champagne region, I suggest taking a look at Chateau Thierry. It is a short drive from DP, Epernay, and Reims (maybe 45ish minutes?) and is worthwhile for those who may have World War 1 or Marine Corps interest. It is the site of a significant 1918 battle (you can search for Chateau Thierry, Belleau Wood, and/or Battle of the Marne) and now holds a beautiful American cemetery and monument (with nice interpretation) nearby. With the World War 1 commemorations beginning in Europe this year, Chateau Thierry would be a nice opportunity to observe the occasion from an American perspective.

Thanks, Christy! So you did this as a day trip and stayed back in Paris?

Now I am thinking about visiting some of the chateaux in the Loire Valley. There are several companies that do a day tour. There is just so much to explore in France! So much to see and so little time!

Laurie

Yes, Laurie! The day we left DLP, we dropped off our bags at our apartment, and went to the train station. We only visited Epernay, but it was just after harvest and was spectacular!

We just finished listening to one of the Teaching Company's Great Courses on the Normandy Invasion called "1066" that we really enjoyed. I could pass around a set of CDs if anyone is interested.

I bought the McCollough book some time ago but never got around to reading it. Thank you for reminding me about it!

With regard to the reading list, I would recommend both 1066 and D-Day, June 6th by Stephen Ambrose. Certainly, 1066 is wonderful if you (or the group) will be visiting the Bayeux tapestry in Bayeux (obviously) or would like a scholarly account of the Norman Conquest. As for the tapestry, it is a marvel and should not be missed if you have time in Bayeux (not sure if the group tour will visit there for any length) and that type of interest. As I recall, it is a timed ticket, so you will not spend a large part of your day.

Also, the Stephen Ambrose book should not be missed before visiting the landing beaches, etc. The website lists the D-Day, June 6th book, but Band of Brothers is also wonderful from the paratrooper perspective. If you watched the mini-series, you will recall that the Normandy invasion began the Company’s journey on the Continent. Both are easily read by those who want a general overview of events.

Finally, I have a fun book suggestion for Paris for those who want a light, breezy read - - The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz, an American pastry chef living in Paris. It is part tale of adaptive, ex pat living and part recipe book. It can be irreverent at times so it may not be suitable for all tastes. It is especially suited for those who have an interest in cuisine. Right up my alley!

I bought D-Day from Audible a while back and haven't started listening to it yet. I have heard it is a great read to prep you for your visit.

I need to checkout the David Leibovitz book and blog. This sounds right up my alley.

You can purchase the insurance through Viking or you can visit the website I suggested and compare policies.

Kevin -

I haven't been able to find the website you suggested. Maybe lost in an email somewhere? Could you please share again? Thank you!

I was going through all of my "junk" email at work and found something from American Express that might be of interest to some. Effective January 1, American Express cardholders will only be able to convert 250,000 membership rewards points to Delta frequent flyer miles per calendar year. Until Jan 1, 2015, you can convert as many points to miles as you want.

Welcome Roger & Kathy! :wave:

The enabler strikes again. :worship:

I was going through all of my "junk" email at work and found something from American Express that might be of interest to some. Effective January 1, American Express cardholders will only be able to convert 250,000 membership rewards points to Delta frequent flyer miles per calendar year. Until Jan 1, 2015, you can convert as many points to miles as you want.

Just got an email from AMEX that this change has been canceled and you will be able to continue to convert points.

Just got an email from AMEX that this change has been canceled and you will be able to continue to convert points.

Yep! That's good news.

We were one of the unfortunate travelers to be stranded by Viking on the Danube due to river height. Rained a lot, cruise couldn't continue after the first night on the river. They bused us around Eastern Europe for the remainder, 6am on the bus, 6pm in the next city, repeat. Their gesture of good faith was 50$ off our next booking. Not kidding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter