DIS Unplugged Podcast | 01/15/17 | Disney MaxPass

ImTooExcitedToSleep

DIS Veteran
Staff member
This week on the DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition, we'll have this week's SoCal news, plus an extended discussion about Disney MaxPass.

Listen LIVE, share your thoughts and chat with other DISers starting at 7pm.

Head to Mixlr to join the fun!

If you miss it live, the shows will be available for download Monday morning.

Just listened. Great show. I thought it was funny when Tom said "Why does Disney need our money for this?" It was funny, but I don't think he intended it that way.

I definitely disagreed with Michael on wishing that FP would be abolished. He acknowledged that it would never happen, but I can't imagine Disney without it. Do you think that Radiator Springs Racers will magically go down to 30 minute waits if there weren't any FP for that ride? No way. I like being able to grab a FP and then do a bunch of other stuff while I wait.

Tom asked "Would you pay for it if this model were at WDW?" My answer: I would never pay for this anywhere. It feels like Disney has turned into an airline, charging us for every suitcase and meal and whatever. It's why I fly Southwest. Just give me the price with everything included and we'll go with that. My fear is that Disney will either charge wads of cash for this stupid extra, or they'll just jack up the price sky high on every ticket.

I've been avoiding WDW for 4 years because of FP+. But with this, I'm just about ready to make a return to Florida.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the name MaxPass...I seriously laughed out loud when Michael called out the name of a different product that has a similar sound to this name.

As an out of town Disneyland visitor who generally travels there solo for the runDisney events, I could potentially see the $10/day value, if nothing else, for the Photopass feature. But I don't really see much value in the FP part of it. The price is literally just so you can book your fastpasses within the park on the same day, and one at a time, and not for a specific time?? That scarcely seems different from the paper system, and not worth the $$. In its currently described state, I'd mainly be in it for the photos.

I can definitely NOT see the value in it for AP holders who already have Photopass included, or for local/frequent visitors who have no real need for the photos. This whole thing...just silly!

I listened to it this morning. I think it's being made too much out of concept that isn't even here yet.

If you want it - purchase it. If not - use the old paper ticket system. $10.00 for a day of photopass in the very least is a very nice benefit.

I personally prefer the digital convenience, as when I went to Disneyland I wasn't in the "know" how to use the paper fastpass system to my advantage.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...w-fastpass-attractions-now-with-poll.3570886/

16 pages with 300+ posts and 14000+ views. Is that making too much out of the concept as well?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/million-717088-percent-attendance.html

Disneyland had a park attendance of 18.5 million in just 2015; a comparison of affinity board 300 post to a system which hasn't even been implemented, tested with guests, or finalized does seem a bit too much.

I'd like to see it in use first, from a Fast Pass + fan, the concept of the paper tickets didn't impress me. I'm giving you another side to an argument; I prefer the other fast pass system. We can both agree to disagree.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/million-717088-percent-attendance.html

Disneyland had a park attendance of 18.5 million in just 2015; a comparison of affinity board 300 post to a system which hasn't even been implemented, tested with guests, or finalized does seem a bit too much.

But when the average post gets less than 20 responses and a good post might get 50 responses (over a week's time), 300 plus posts in less than a week is blowing the roof off the joint. I don't think anyone is making too much out of this. Disney wants to charge my family $50 more a day for a convenience that ought to be free. Like was said in the podcast, if I'm getting something premium (Halloween Party, Animal Kingdom Trek), I can understand paying more for something. Of course, I don't ever pay extra and avoid Disney when they offer these things. Squirrel! But to pay $50 more per day for a product I already get (FP, Photopass on a very pricey Signature AP) just for convenience, seems like a cold slap in the face. Can't remember who said it, but I agree: "If you have more money, Disney likes you more".

Disney rolled out this info in a blog, which usually carry the exact wishes of the Disney exec team. When they announce a Food Festival, it happens. When they announce the destruction of a beloved Tower attraction, it happens. When Disney says in the blog that the MSEP is returning for a final run, it happens just like they said. If they announce they're going to nickel and dime us like a Six Flags, we assume it's going to happen....unless we say something or do something about it. And that's what we're doing.

But when the average post gets less than 20 responses and a good post might get 50 responses (over a week's time), 300 plus posts in less than a week is blowing the roof off the joint. I don't think anyone is making too much out of this. Disney wants to charge my family $50 more a day for a convenience that ought to be free. Like was said in the podcast, if I'm getting something premium (Halloween Party, Animal Kingdom Trek), I can understand paying more for something. Of course, I don't ever pay extra and avoid Disney when they offer these things. Squirrel! But to pay $50 more per day for a product I already get (FP, Photopass on a very pricey Signature AP) just for convenience, seems like a cold slap in the face. Can't remember who said it, but I agree: "If you have more money, Disney likes you more".

Disney rolled out this info in a blog, which usually carry the exact wishes of the Disney exec team. When they announce a Food Festival, it happens. When they announce the destruction of a beloved Tower attraction, it happens. When Disney says in the blog that the MSEP is returning for a final run, it happens just like they said. If they announce they're going to nickel and dime us like a Six Flags, we assume it's going to happen....unless we say something or do something about it. And that's what we're doing.

Or how about we wait until it actually comes out, and see if it's a good fit or use before we deem the sky is falling.

Fast pass plus is a such a great system I love it and enjoy.

Also it's optional - the paper system will still be there.

It's quite reasonable to speculate like a rational adult with regards to how this system will impact things without having to wait until it actually does. That being said, on paper will likely end up different than real life (though I personally feel it'll be just as ridiculous once released).

Still, no need to be so confrontational. Stating that we should just sit quietly until it actually is released, then we can start talking about it is just crazy talk.

It's quite reasonable to speculate like a rational adult with regards to how this system will impact things without having to wait until it actually does. That being said, on paper will likely end up different than real life (though I personally feel it'll be just as ridiculous once released).

Still, no need to be so confrontational. Stating that we should just sit quietly until it actually is released, then we can start talking about it is just crazy talk.

Who's confrontational? The crazy thing is being negative about a product or service before it's actually implemented - I think it's actually logical, and reasonable to wait until something is implemented/tested before having a negative opinion. Free speech and discussion is amazing.

I'm from the mindset that this is actually going to be really cool and fun.

A one day photopass Disneyland service is $40.00 so if I have a family of four not only does the photos pay for themselves; they also get to try this new style as well.

I'd like more details before being negative, but I always try to think positive about anything. If it's anything like FastPass+ it's going to be great. Especially with my Disneyland trip coming up :)

Who's confrontational? The crazy thing is being negative about a product or service before it's actually implemented - I think it's actually logical, and reasonable to wait until something is implemented/tested before having a negative opinion. Free speech and discussion is amazing.

A one day photopass Disneyland service is $40.00 so if I have a family of four not only does the photos pay for themselves; they also get to try this new style as well.

I'd like more details before being negative, but I always try to think positive about anything. If it's anything like FastPass+ it's going to be great. Especially with my Disneyland trip coming up :)

I've tried FP+. Wasn't a fan. After our most recent trip to WDW a few months ago, we all agreed that we like the ease/convenience of DLR and paper fastpasses. I hate to see anything start because it's a slippery slope....

Or how about we wait until it actually comes out, and see if it's a good fit or use before we deem the sky is falling.

Fast pass plus is a such a great system I love it and enjoy.

Also it's optional - the paper system will still be there.

I get it. "We have to pass the law to see what's in it." But then it's too late, right? Then we can say and do nothing to change it. If we express our displeasure with some of these stupid ideas NOW, maybe Disney will reward us with a better system. You know, a free system.

As for FP+ at WDW being great, let me say this: I stopped going to WDW once they implemented it. Check the signature - 7 huge trips in 10 years .... and then we just stopped going. Why? FP+, that's why. I don't like having to book restaurants months in advance, much less a solitary ride months in advance. Not to mention that FP+ made rides that didn't need FP pile up for stand-by (i.e. Pirates). I've got friends who still go to Orlando and they don't like it. They much prefer walking into a park and playing it by ear.

And the new Disneyland system will still keep that DL magic of a relaxing and spontaneous trip. What I don't like is being charged for it. For my family, $50 ba-beep-bucks a day!?!?! How much does this actually cost Disney? It's only a minor change to the app, which already shows wait times and FP return times at no cost. The app also adds your ticket to your DL app account. So we know that the app is already FP ticket ready. But they want to sit on my face with this and charge us the cost of counter service meal each day. That's what I'm NOT ok with. Well....that, I love having those paper fastpasses in hand.

I enjoyed the show. I felt like you all presented a nicely balanced perspective of the concerns people on the DISboards have been discussing. Thanks for bringing up the concern about the potential inequity between the two systems if one has the two parks connected and the other does not. BTW, we make this work quite well by having one Fastpass runner (usually DH) quickly cross to the other park during natural breaks. For example, taking the kids to the bathroom, when coming back from an afternoon break at the hotel, while going on a ride with the kids one parent doesn't mind missing (e.g. Teacups which DH refuses to ride).

I enjoyed the show. I felt like you all presented a nicely balanced perspective of the concerns people on the DISboards have been discussing. Thanks for bringing up the concern about the potential inequity between the two systems if one has the two parks connected and the other does not. BTW, we make this work quite well by having one Fastpass runner (usually DH) quickly cross to the other park during natural breaks. For example, taking the kids to the bathroom, when coming back from an afternoon break at the hotel, while going on a ride with the kids one parent doesn't mind missing (e.g. Teacups which DH refuses to ride).

I can't imagine that the maxpass would have the two parks connected but the paper fastpass system will continue with the parks not connected. Or would it possibly be that maxpass purchasers would have the advantage of unconnected parks but not paper fastpass holders?
Not every group has someone who can quickly cross between parks to grab fastpasses. I've gone to the parks before with just myself and my 2 kids. If the maxpass would make our trip easier, then I would try it. Sure not everyone has or wants to spend the extra $, but not everyone has a runner either - which honestly saves a lot of time and effort for the rest of the group.

If you have a family of 4, MaxPass is going to cost you $40/day. If you have 5 day tickets, that's $200. You could have purchased the week long Photopass for $80.

Not sure if someone who didn't know the ins and out of legacy FP is the right person to decide if the new program is better or worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter