DIRECT TV PROS & CONS

MrsTurnerLovesDisney

Mouseketeer
We currently have Dish and are paying $60ish a month for like no channels. We have been with them for over 3 years now.

DH is considering changing to Direct. We see that the initial sign up package is $60 a month for 12 months with a 24 month contract but it gives a ton more channels.

But I'm worried about a huge price hike after the 12 months or poor service. I've heard pretty negative reviews about them but I have never used them myself.

We would love to cut the cable totally and use streaming service but we don't have high speed internet. Don't have an affordable option for it out in the country.

Please give me your down and dirty honest thoughts!

It WILL be a huge price increase. I worked for DirecTv. We always said "We never claim to be the cheapest, just the best." They will not save you a dime.

ETA:Call Dish, say you think it is despicable that new customers get better rates than long term and say you're thinking of switching. They'll likely give you a deal.

We've had Dish, so has my mother. My Mother always complained about channels. I remember going thru channels and the same show was on 4 different channels and all the other channels were very limited. Another big problem, my Mom's Dish was always going out. Each time she would have to call, which took forever, and each time she would have to wait days for someone to come to the house. We had similar issues with Dish too. We now have Direct TV and been pleased. We don't pay for premium channels but there are definitely more channels than Dish. Again, basic package. I can't say anything about price jump because we haven't had it very long.

It WILL be a huge price increase. I worked for DirecTv. We always said "We never claim to be the cheapest, just the best." They will not save you a dime.

ETA:Call Dish, say you think it is despicable that new customers get better rates than long term and say you're thinking of switching. They'll likely give you a deal.

if nothing else that's the next plan to call Dish

The price increase is significant after the first 12 months. We were paying $58, but now we're paying $110.

We had DirecTV years ago, then went back after a move last year. I have noticed a significant decrease in customer service since AT&T bought them out. DirecTV used to be willing to negotiate on prices or give bill credits for their mistakes. Now, they don't do anything. They messed up my bill last month and I spent nearly an hour on the phone getting it fixed. They offered me nothing in compensation, which is odd because before the merge with AT&T they offered bill credits all the time for inconveniences.

I have no complaints about the quality of quantity of service with DirectTV, but they discharge a premium for that quality.

We've had direct for 8 years or so now.

yes, after Yr 1 the price will increase....I just looked and it said the package that we currently have, had a $58 savings for new customer year 1.

We've been happy with the service, although in strong storms the signal will go out. It's not for very long and typically happens 3 or 4 times a year.

We've also had good luck calling and asking for discounts. Last summer, with still 6 months left on my contract, they gave me a $45 discount for 12 months with a one year agreement. So, for staying on for another 6 months -- I was able to save $540....in addition to various $5/$10 credits I already have.

Last spring I called to ask about a discount on the MLB Extra Innings baseball package -- they asked if free was enough of a discount....so I got a package that normally runs over $100 for free. No contract extension or anything else.

Also -- if you know anyone in real life or on-line with directv -- you can ask them for a referral # and save another $10/mo for the first year

We get more complaints about Comcast and Direct than any other provider.

We've love our DirecTv. It's expensive but we are addicted to the Genie system, record up to 5 shows at once & watch in any room in the house. It's so easy the whole family can do it. It's most definitely a discretionary expense and we've been lucky to keep it as we quite enjoy how easy it makes everything.

Pros: I get unlimited data through AT&T by having Directv.
Cons: Literally everything.

I live in an area with no cable or Fios, so Directv or Dish are my only options. I pay over $100 for one Tivo (or Genie, whatever they're called now). I will admit that over the years their reception has gotten better when there are things like storms coming through, but other than that I can't wait for the day when Comcast finally comes to my area.

Pros: I get unlimited data through AT&T by having Directv.
Cons: Literally everything.

I live in an area with no cable or Fios, so Directv or Dish are my only options. I pay over $100 for one Tivo (or Genie, whatever they're called now). I will admit that over the years their reception has gotten better when there are things like storms coming through, but other than that I can't wait for the day when Comcast finally comes to my area.

I'm slow when it comes to technology so what do you mean by unlimited Data with AT&T? Is this like data using wifi in the house? If its for wifi that might be an ok option as we also pay $60 a month for sat. internet thru exceed. So if we ended up paying $100 after promo for direct and unlimited data that would actually save us a little and we are on a small data plan with exceed.

I'm slow when it comes to technology so what do you mean by unlimited Data with AT&T? Is this like data using wifi in the house? If its for wifi that might be an ok option as we also pay $60 a month for sat. internet thru exceed. So if we ended up paying $100 after promo for direct and unlimited data that would actually save us a little and we are on a small data plan with exceed.

I mean on your phone. I got an iphone 6 through AT&T and because I'm a Directv customer I qualify for their unlimited data plan, which works well for me because we do not have Wifi at home that I can connect my phone to. So I can use as much data on my phone as I want without being charged extra. It does throttle your speed at 22GB, but I've never hit that.

We have Direct TV through Centurytel. I get discounts because I have tv, internet and phone bundled. No complaints at all about Direct TV and I love the genie.

I mean on your phone. I got an iphone 6 through AT&T and because I'm a Directv customer I qualify for their unlimited data plan, which works well for me because we do not have Wifi at home that I can connect my phone to. So I can use as much data on my phone as I want without being charged extra. It does throttle your speed at 22GB, but I've never hit that.

bummer we're locked in with Verizon would cost too much to try to leave now :(

Worst customer service ever. Ever!

Hey :sad: I used to work there.

Actually, I worked for the protection plan which was separate then regular tech support. Supervisors monitored calls and pulled you for not giving the right solution. Sometimes it didn't matter what was best for the customer, you had to follow all the steps. That sucked.

We love directv we had cable and dish before and hands down direct tv is better. We pay $51 a month (we have the middle package) and we have been paying that for 3 years. Basically after year one DH call them and negotiated he got the same price for another year and free NFL sunday ticket. After a year of that our contract was over so DH called again and he got us an extra wireless box (we have 3 dvr/boxes)NFL Sunday ticket, sports package and a $200 visa gift card and we still paying $51 a month. I tried to negotiate before but somehow is like DH has the magic touch because I never get something as good as what he gets.

I don't have cell service with AT&T but I have home phone/internet and I have unlimited internet by combining my AT&T and Directv bills. I think recently they capped the data at 350 gb per month and we were using 450+ so I had to! My son has Netflix on one monitor and a game he plays on another, constantly. LOL

I have had Directv since 1996 and pay about $110. I have called a few times over the years and gotten discounts.

We switched to Directv from Dish to bundle our AT&T cell service (unlimited data) and Internet. We hate it. We had Dish for over 3 years with no issues at all, and they always were willing to offer a new promo once the old one ran out. When we switched, we were told we'd get a $150 gift card and free installation. We got neither, even after numerous calls to complain. They "didn't see any notes this was offered". We did get the 1 yr free NFL Sunday ticket. But, our signal goes out fairly regularly, the box reboots on its own, or opts not to record stuff we want to record. They've moved our dish to a new location, provided new boxes...nothing has worked. And, every person I've spoken with has just plain not cared.

I do have friends who love Direct. However, they've all talked up the customer service and promos....all were experienced before the merger with AT&T, so it definitely seems like it's been all downhill since then. We will be headed back to Dish as soon as our contract is up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter