Dining with an 11 year old

mastermind307

DIS Veteran
So excited to begin planning a mother daughter trip for 2018. DD will be 11 so she'll be a Disney adult, however, she will not eat like an adult. She is also a really picky eater. I'm not concerned about CS meals. But I'm having a little trouble deciding on a few TS meals. It's hard because on previous trips we do a few character meals, but now that she's a Disney adult and really doesn't eat a lot, it's hard to justify the cost. I know we are paying for more than just the food, but still not sure if they will be worth it.

On our past 3 trips we have gone to EPCOT and ate at GG on our arrival day. Part of me really wants to keep with our tradition, but another part of me is saying no, it's not worth the cost. If we go, I will pay the adult price for her, but will they still bring the kids options to our table? DD really likes the drumstick on the kids menu.

I'm also trying to decide between a character buffet breakfast or lunch/dinner. Neither of us are big breakfast eaters, but the cost for breakfast is cheaper. DD would probably eat more at lunch/dinner because there are more food options she likes, but then the meal cost more. Which makes more sense?

Also looking for suggestions for TS (not buffet or ayce) that DD would enjoy. She likes the typical kids fare, mac&cheese, chicken nuggets, hotdogs, pizza. Neither of us are adventurous eaters, but I do eat a more wide variety of food than she does.

I posted something similar a while back and I was assured that our picky 13 year old can still eat traditional kids foot at a TS, but most likely for an upcharge (fine by me!).

That being said, I don't want to create a hassle or require much special attention either. We tried to choose TS that has possible options she'd try (chicken, pasta). We avoided one I wanted to try - BOG - because the menu was a no-go for her. I suggest just pulling up the menus and seeing what she may be willing to eat.

For character meals, perhaps try to get a last seating breakfast...then you'll catch the change over to lunch foods.

Definitely consider Via Napoli...maybe Rainforest Cafe, which is typical bar & grill food (burgers, chicken strips, pasta).

My picky 11yo enjoyed the kids grilled cheese, while my nieces devoured their kids steak and salmon at BOG. For much less than half the cost of a buffet, we all enjoyed our dinner (and cupcakes!) and took pictures with the Beast. It is our go-to dinner for 10+ yo kids.

My daughter actually love the food at Tony's. I thought it tasted like cafeteria food, but she still begs to go back. I'd rather spend more for food I enjoy, even if she's eating the same thing she could get at a quick service for $10.

If you want to see characters, then book for the character experience and try not to think of it as spending $40+ for her to eat chicken nuggets. We still laugh about the $26 root beer my son had at Akersus. :sad2:

Also, fwiw, last time we were at Garden Grill they had eliminated the kids options. They did bring us out plain turkey and mac and cheese without the goldfish, but no kids nuggets.

So I would try TS restaurants for the experience. At 11, I'm sure she'll be able to order off the children's menu if she wishes...
You might consider:
-BOG is a really nice experience & you can see the beast on the way out;
-The Grand Floridian Cafe (in the GFR) seems fancy, but it is not stuffy and has many choices;
-I agree that Via Napoli is outstanding and won't break the bank;
-Maybe T-Rex in DS?
The important part is that you'll be having time together. Good luck and enjoy!

DS11 always gets food off the kids menu. He's really picky and has a small appetite. Some of the kids meal portions are small though, so we let him eat extra bread or appetizer. However, it's usually a fine amount for him.

Personally, I find the experience of the character meal makes up for most of the value of the meal, not the food itself. With that mindset, I don't feel the need to stuff our faces to feel like I've gotten "value", as I know some people do. So, even if you have a really light eater, to me, it's worth the cost. If you can't justify it, then avoiding the character meals/buffets is really your only option.

To answer your question, even as a Disney adult, you can order off of the kids menu so you should have no issue getting the chicken legs you want at GG.

Other TS that I would recommend that my son (he's now 9) has always enjoyed are Sci-Fi, Whispering Canyon, T-Rex, Coral Reef & Yachtsman (he loves steak). Any of those have pretty standard mac 'n cheese type options on their kids menu.

Coral Reef could be an option for the aquariums, or Saana for the views from the savanna. Also agree, look at a late breakfast character meal. Maybe something like 1900.

I posted something similar a while back and I was assured that our picky 13 year old can still eat traditional kids foot at a TS, but most likely for an upcharge (fine by me!).

DD doesn't eat much, so the kids size would actually be perfect for her. I wonder if there would still be an upcharge if she just wants the kid size portion. I'll pay the upcharge so she can get food she likes, just hate to waste it.

For character meals, perhaps try to get a last seating breakfast...then you'll catch the change over to lunch foods.

Definitely consider Via Napoli...maybe Rainforest Cafe, which is typical bar & grill food (burgers, chicken strips, pasta).

That's a good idea to get the last breakfast seating, if we do breakfast I was going to do a late one anyway. I checked the times and I saw that Crystal Palace last breakfast time is 10:45 and the first lunch is 11:30. What are the odds of enjoying some of both if I book a 10:45?

Via Napoli is one that I thought we'd try. We've never been there. I am thinking we could share a single size pizza. When we get pizza she'll eat one piece and is done and I normally only eat a couple. Would the single size be big enough for us to to share?
I've also been looking at Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex. We've never been and don't have any near us. Is one location of Rainforest Cafe better than the other? Which is better, RC or T-Rex?

My picky 11yo enjoyed the kids grilled cheese, while my nieces devoured their kids steak and salmon at BOG. For much less than half the cost of a buffet, we all enjoyed our dinner (and cupcakes!) and took pictures with the Beast. It is our go-to dinner for 10+ yo kids.

Also, fwiw, last time we were at Garden Grill they had eliminated the kids options. They did bring us out plain turkey and mac and cheese without the goldfish, but no kids nuggets.

I was thinking about doing lunch at BOG, we ate there on our last trip and enjoyed it. DD went there last time with her grandparents for dinner (DH and I didn't go), but the line was really long to meet the beast so they left. I'll look at the dinner menu and see if there's anything that looks good.

Allears still have kids options listed, but things change all the time. Last time we went they still brought out the kids options, but the drumstick wasn't included. We asked about it and they were able to get her one. I believe it may have come from Sunshine Seasons.

So I would try TS restaurants for the experience. At 11, I'm sure she'll be able to order off the children's menu if she wishes...
You might consider:
-BOG is a really nice experience & you can see the beast on the way out;
-The Grand Floridian Cafe (in the GFR) seems fancy, but it is not stuffy and has many choices;
-I agree that Via Napoli is outstanding and won't break the bank;
-Maybe T-Rex in DS?
The important part is that you'll be having time together. Good luck and enjoy!

I'll check out The Grand Floridian Cafe, it's not a place I would have thought of since we won't be staying there.

Coral Reef could be an option for the aquariums, or Saana for the views from the savanna. Also agree, look at a late breakfast character meal. Maybe something like 1900.

1900 PF was one of the breakfast buffets I am looking at. We've been there for dinner 2X but never for breakfast. DD wants to stay at AKL and if we do stay there, Saana might be a good choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter