• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining plan speculation that I have heard for 2008~

See, I think guest feedback is guest feedback. And everyone is entitled to share that feedback with WDW. You, me, and the person who isn't happy with the sheer amount of food on the current DDP.

Everyone does have a right to express their opinion. We shouldn't be surprised, when we get what we ask for though.

Yes, that's the plan. One snack, one CS, and one TS without appetizer (which many will be fine with) and without the 18% gratuity included. And the price is rumored to be dropping $1 for both adult and children's meals.

All right! I think I understand it now. When we went in 2006 we did the ddp and loved it. It was way too much food and we are really big eaters. The new plan is not that much of a change and I just wish that they would still include the tip, but it will not stop me from getting the plan. With the way my boys eat, I will get the kids meal and they will eat the adults meal anyway.

Thanks for answering the question for me!:banana:

Is that ALL TS meals on the Deluxe plan? Or all 2 TS meals?

Here's what it says on Debs site, now:

"UPDATE INFO: 7/31/07
1) The Deluxe Dining plan still does NOT include gratuity. It DOES include the appetizer.
2) No word on DVC member pricing."

So I"m assuming, based on that, it means ALL TS meals on the Deluxe plan will include app. Now, how they work that at, say, breakfast is beyond me. Probably like they do with "dessert" now...you just don't get one because they don't offer one. But we'll see.....

You're right! Noone did make things worse for me. We didn't utilize DDP, because it didn't work for us. I thought I mentioned that in my pp. The complaining wasn't in this thread, but it has been going on since the inception of DDP. There was definitely enough people for WDW to be able to claim they reduced the offerings, because that's what people wanted. I just happen to think it's better not to give them a viable excuse to cutback. They'll do that all on their own. I would hate to see them remove the appetizer from the Deluxe, due to it being too much food.

You should probably be thanking all those who commented in previous threads about too much food.If it weren't for those comments (which you are sure are to blame for these new changes) there might not even be a Deluxe plan at all. ;) So on behalf of all of the "too full to enjoy the parks" posters I say "You're welcome!"

**Please note---this was meant to be a light-hearted remark---take no offence**:goodvibes

All RUMORED, FYI. :) Nothing has been officially announced.

Essentially, yes..that's the new basic plan: 1TS, 1CS, and 1 snack, per person, per day...no app with the TS...no tips. And the price is going down $1 per day for both the adult and child prices.

They're also offering a "Deluxe DDP", which costs 69.99 (adult) and 19.99 (child) per day. That includes 3 meals (CS or TS, your choice). TS meals DO include appetizer. Still no tips.

They're offering an "add on" to BOTH packages. For an additional 39.99 per day, you can order one bottle of wine at a restaurant or store selling wine.

Hope that helps.

$40.00 for one bottle of wine?

I am glad I have the free DDP this year for so many nights, as this will be like a "last hurrah". :)

Yeah, I don't get that one either....but that's the report.

Many of the wines sold at Disney are less than $40.00, even at their marked-up prices. I expect Hess also has wine, I know they have beer and such (I like Hess, even moreso when they have large $5.00 cheese pizzas!)

I've heard the packages should be coming out soon, so it will be interesting to see what is definitely there. I do believe the no-tip in the DDP, that was part of the contract. I don't like that, it will end up hurting the servers. The appetizer I don't care as much about, though say you are having a $60.00 meal at Le Cellier. That is nearly a $12.00 tip and a $5.00 or so appetizer (or more) if you want one. That really erodes the value of the DDP. I am not sure I'd do it, even for free, in that instance.

I do believe the no-tip in the DDP, that was part of the contract. I don't like that, it will end up hurting the servers. The appetizer I don't care as much about, though say you are having a $60.00 meal at Le Cellier. That is nearly a $12.00 tip and a $5.00 or so appetizer (or more) if you want one. That really erodes the value of the DDP. I am not sure I'd do it, even for free, in that instance.

Yeah. I can see where people wanting to justify poor tipping could just say that mathematically, DDP(future) + tip - $1 = DDP(future), so Disney must value the tips at $1 and tip accordingly. That would suck.

As for the free part, I think that's the issue for me. The plan was never that great for us if we had to pay for it, but we enjoyed it for free, figuring that the $80 savings on the DDP made up for losing whatever AP/Visa discount we would have gotten before.

Now, by my rough and unscientific calculations, the value of the plan has (maybe) diminished, by day, by at least 15% and about $7 per person. So now the savings equal around $56 dollars for two people, at which point I'd have to compare it to what codes or rates are out to see if it's a good deal.

$40.00 for one bottle of wine?

I am glad I have the free DDP this year for so many nights, as this will be like a "last hurrah". :)

The least expensive bottle of wine at CG was $44 two years ago. I cannot remember how much we paid for a bottle of wine with dinner this year at CR or at 1900 PF. I would not add $40 a day for wine because we sometimes simply order one glass apiece, but I imagine that there will be a designated wine list and it will be a value to some.

Yeah. I can see where people wanting to justify poor tipping could just say that mathematically, DDP(future) + tip - $1 = DDP(future), so Disney must value the tips at $1 and tip accordingly. That would suck.

As for the free part, I think that's the issue for me. The plan was never that great for us if we had to pay for it, but we enjoyed it for free, figuring that the $80 savings on the DDP made up for losing whatever AP/Visa discount we would have gotten before.

Now, by my rough and unscientific calculations, the value of the plan has (maybe) diminished, by day, by at least 15% and about $7 per person. So now the savings equal around $56 dollars for two people, at which point I'd have to compare it to what codes or rates are out to see if it's a good deal.

No, no,no Disney values the tip and appetizer at $1.00 so that $1.00 tip would be too much:lmao:

Regarding the tips, I do not think most of the servers will get stiffed, at least at most of the standard places, but at the buffets I could see the servers taking a huge cut. Quite honestly I never had heard of giving waitstaff at buffets 18-20% tips. The standard is usually $2 per person. When I first found this site I was shocked that that at Disney it was considered standard to tip the usual 20% for a buffet. After reading that on here I searched every site I could find and they all seemed to say $1 to $2 a person. Once I realized that at Disney the waitstaff at the buffets were paid the same as the full service places, I began to tip my usual 20%, but I can see that most people who are not familiar with the tipping practices at Disney will leave only a couple of dollars. I can see the buffet staff being really hurt by this.

No, no,no Disney values the tip and appetizer at $1.00 so that $1.00 tip would be too much:lmao:

I had thought of that, but adding in the appetizer means you have to actually get up at the end of the meal and mug your server for an extra $7, which seemed unnecessarily cruel. ;)

Yeah, "unintended" is probably not the right word. The more correct concept is probably that some going offsite is a loss they anticipate and are willing to take.
Indeed, likely made up by the extra profit from the new pricing structure. Whether we care about it or not, their objective is to find the best pricing for them, overall. That's what I meant earlier when I said the Dining Plan has been horribly under-priced. Now it seems more appropriately priced.

Regarding the tips, I do not think most of the servers will get stiffed, at least at most of the standard places, but at the buffets I could see the servers taking a huge cut. Quite honestly I never had heard of giving waitstaff at buffets 18-20% tips.

A long time ago, I was a server. Standard at that time was 10% on buffets. Now it seems to be closer to 15%. I know that working both a regular restaurant and buffets, there wasn't a big difference in how much work I did. More plates to be cleaned off the table - and with more plates came more drinks to be refilled.

I tend to give 15 - 20% at most buffets now. It also depends on if I really have a server and if they are coming around. There are some buffets where someone says they are a server, but you may see them once or twice (no refills - or 1 refill, and not cleaning up plates as much, or a bus person may do it). I'm not sure those are really servers per se, but I always leave them something too. Just not as much as say, Ken or Donnell at Trails End. They work hard and are part of my dining experience. :)

I would have rather seen Disney raise the dining price to $50.00 including everything. Appetizer, tip, etc. Servers at nice restaurants won't do as well either, as some people will think it was all-inclusive...or may tip on the original $38, etc.

I had thought of that, but adding in the appetizer means you have to actually get up at the end of the meal and mug your server for an extra $7, which seemed unnecessarily cruel. ;)

:lmao: :lmao:

However while mentioning the changes at Dinner I was surprised by the response by my family--they did enjoy the DDP, but missed some of the offsite palces and were glad to be able to add those as well as the non-participating WDW restaurants back into the rotation. Who knew--they are excited about fitting in places like SeaWorld and their new water park which should be open by our summer vacation as well as US/IOA. Again who knew?! Now I have to rethink AP's and consider my other ticket options.

A long time ago, I was a server. Standard at that time was 10% on buffets. Now it seems to be closer to 15%. I know that working both a regular restaurant and buffets, there wasn't a big difference in how much work I did. More plates to be cleaned off the table - and with more plates came more drinks to be refilled.

I tend to give 15 - 20% at most buffets now. It also depends on if I really have a server and if they are coming around. There are some buffets where someone says they are a server, but you may see them once or twice (no refills - or 1 refill, and not cleaning up plates as much, or a bus person may do it). I'm not sure those are really servers per se, but I always leave them something too. Just not as much as say, Ken or Donnell at Trails End. They work hard and are part of my dining experience. :)

I would have rather seen Disney raise the dining price to $50.00 including everything. Appetizer, tip, etc. Servers at nice restaurants won't do as well either, as some people will think it was all-inclusive...or may tip on the original $38, etc.

Sorry to hijack this thread...but you mentioned Donnell at Trail's End. Is he still there? I haven't seen him in a couple years and would LOVE to see him this fall or winter!! He's such a hoot!! :lmao:

Sorry to hijack this thread...but you mentioned Donnell at Trail's End. Is he still there? I haven't seen him in a couple years and would LOVE to see him this fall or winter!! He's such a hoot!! :lmao:

As of the last month or so, yup! He was gone for a while a year or two back, but I've had him as a server this year a couple of times. :) I think he is hilarious!!!!

As of the last month or so, yup! He was gone for a while a year or two back, but I've had him as a server this year a couple of times. :) I think he is hilarious!!!!

GREAT news!! :thumbsup2 Thanks! I'll look for him in December! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter