• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diary of a Picky Kid (& his Foodie Mom) DxDDP in December! Update 4/9 'Ohana Dinner!

Excellent review Lisa. We went there Dec 2015 and dh nearly had a coronary when we got the bill for the five of us. It's a never again for us. The food just didn't do it for us. Some of it was downright nasty. I recall a chicken dish dh tried and I think it was so bad that it turned him off eating. We too were there for Christmas and the pictures are priceless. We prefer the breakfasts too. The price is manageable when not on the dining plan, we always pick a late time and make it lunch. The late seating always makes for a really mello experience.

Excellent review Lisa. We went there Dec 2015 and dh nearly had a coronary when we got the bill for the five of us. It's a never again for us. The food just didn't do it for us. Some of it was downright nasty. I recall a chicken dish dh tried and I think it was so bad that it turned him off eating. We too were there for Christmas and the pictures are priceless. We prefer the breakfasts too. The price is manageable when not on the dining plan, we always pick a late time and make it lunch. The late seating always makes for a really mello experience.

There was some weird chicken thing there that I stayed away from. I think they used to have an asiago ranch chicken or something but what they had when we were there was buffalo and it did NOT look appealing at all. I might have tried the former, the latter was unappealing. Maybe I dodged the bullet all together with the chicken. I know what you mean about something truly terrible ruining your appetite. I ate at Kona on my 2014 trip and I ordered two apps...sushi and the chicken wings. Well I ate one piece of sushi and it was cold and hard and unappealing and then I bit into the chicken wing and it was red and cold near the bone. blech. The manager took it off my bill but in my typical delayed reaction fashion I called him back over and said I wanted it ALL taken off my bill as I had lost my appetite. He did.

DAY 5: Disney Springs, H&V Minnie's Holiday Dine w/F! package

So again if you'll indulge me in a couple of trip report-y paragraphs and non food photos to round out my reliving of my Disney experience, I'd appreciate it ;)

We spent the day at Disney Springs. I have to say, I've never been much of a Downtown Disney person and I am even LESS a Downtown Disney person with the changes. We parked in the lime garage and it just felt so big and outdoor mall-like rather than quaint and Disney like to me. But we went over to the marketplace, which has everything I wanted to go to it felt familiar and was fine. This was also (luckily) the only day of our trip that it actually rained.

My MUST-do list for DS was: the christmas shop (I always get a personalized ornament to commemorate my trips), Santa (since we wouldn't have a chance to see Santa with how compressed the holiday season was for me given the vacation in the middle of it) and the Lego store. As it turned out, standing on line at the christmas shop for personalization was the longest line we stood in the entire trip. It took about 45 minutes! insane. During that time the skies opened up and it absolutely poured so I guess if it was going to pour and if we were going to be in line for that long, it was not a bad time for either of those things to happen. The kiddo got pretty bored and end up laying down in a pile of mickey plush. Before telling him not to do that, I grabbed a quick picture because he was so cute:

20161206_132128_zpsn4tclacq.jpg

after that he had a ton of fun building and racing his lego car at the lego store:

20161206_135637_zpseq4nr5nj.jpg

after we did the legos I realized the pager we got for Santa never went off. We walked back over there and I asked about it and she said they lost power while it was pouring and it reset the pagers but we could go in and see him right now. There was a short wait of a couple of kids ahead of us. This is one of my favorite pictures from Santa... my kid always has the funniest expressions when seeing Santa.

20161206_160003_zpscmmocbdr.jpg

Having accomplished all of my goals, we left and went back to the room for a bit to prepare for our evening at Hollywood Studios, which had exactly 3 things on the agenda: Dinner at H&V with F! package, Toy Story Midway Mania FP+ and F!. This was supposedly our down day but honestly it did not feel like much of a down day because we spent all day on our feet standing around at DS, which was exhausting. But we didn't have a whole lot planned for HS either so it worked out ok I guess. I find standing in one spot is harder on my feet and legs than just walking around.

We checked in at about 4:15 for our ADR and didn't wait too long, I think we were seated RIGHT at 4:30. We waited in a short line to see Santa Goofy and right when it was our turn to see him, a child with special needs was inserted into the line. It was obvious this child's needs way exceeded those of kiddo, but it was a tough shift for kiddo to make as well as he expected to be next and had been waiting patiently only to be told we could not see Santa Goofy. They did give us a card that indicated we hadn't seen Santa Goofy yet, and an apologetic CM offered to come over and get us when there was a lull in the line so we didn't have to wait again. I pointed out to kiddo that the other child was wearing earmuffs and reminded him how some things are very tough for him and suggested that maybe waiting for Santa Goofy was even more difficult for that child than for him and that Disney probably knew how far he had come at being a super flexible thinker and knew he would not mind letting that little boy have a turn first. Appealing to my child's sense of protectiveness toward other kids almost always works and he got past it quickly and we were able to be shown to our table. I think the fact that he was pretty hungry as we hadn't eaten since breakfast was not helping either.

Right after we got our food we were able to go see Santa Goofy but it was pretty disorganized and rushed, like they were trying to fit us in between other people, and I didn't really care for that part of it. We left our food getting cold on the table while we rushed up and I forgot that I wanted to get a picture with both of us until we started to turn and walk away and they refused to let us BOTH take a photo with Santa Goofy because we had "already had our turn" when I realized it about 3 steps away and there wasn't even anyone else in line yet. I decided not to fight that battle but I felt kind of meh about the whole Santa Goofy thing and how it was handled. I would have thought after my child was asked to be flexible for someone else that they would not be quite so strict about their rules about no one seeing Santa Goofy twice, especially since I was not really focused on that since we had JUST gotten our food when we were herded up there, but whatever. Kiddo seemed to not care that much and I was tired after standing on my feet all day at DS so I decided not to make a fuss about it.

That said, I will say that the rest of the meal was just fine. I didn't let it ruin my mood and kiddo was starving and wanted to get back to his food anyway and promptly forgot about it. This is one meal I REALLY agonized over. The reviews are really ALL over the place, from horrible food to really delicious food and everything in between. To be honest, if it were just me, I would have picked Mama Melrose with F! package... it is an old favorite of mine that I haven't been to in ages and I just LOVE the atmosphere here. I went back and forth many times about which one I should book and ultimately decided on H&V for the following reasons: 1) Characters in Christmas costumes 2) Meal I would be least likely to pay for OOP at another time of year due to how expensive it is with F! package 3) the mama melrose menu is not that great for kiddo and I did not want him ending up eating plain pasta, and knew he'd have a lot more variety at H&V. So we ended up at H&V. I'm not sure that I've ever been there before due to my aforementioned lack of enthusiasm for dinner buffets before having a picky kid so it was another first for me as well, like Biergarten.

The Santa Goofy kerfluffle aside, I will say that my overall impression of H&V is this: The food was decent. I would say it was better than "just ok" but not "amazing" as others have reported. It was definitely not "Hollywood & Vile" but as in all buffets, some items were better than others. I had also read that character interaction was really great there, but I take those kinds of reviews with a grain of salt because I feel like that is highly dependent on... um... how the particular character is feeling that day (kiddo sometimes reads over my shoulder, lol) but I will say that the character interaction was much longer and more playful here than any other character meal we went to. I wondered if that was because it kind of felt like the place was half empty half the time. The characters fooled around with each other, fooled around with kids, came around multiple times and spent quite a bit of time with kiddo. Not sure what was up with the Santa Goofy security force out front because the characters inside were really fantastic.

So onto the food. While at every other place we were given a choice of a specialty non-alcoholic beverage (not in a souvenir cup or with lights or anything though) without refills or a soft drink WITH refills as part of the DDP, at H&V it was soft drinks, milk or juice ONLY. They did have that light pomegranate lemonade that I've read about... again some people like it, some hate it. I asked for that for my beverage and I actually liked it quite a lot. If I ever had the chance to actually use my refillable mug on a regular basis, this would be a great option for me.

20161206_172255_zpsg6ivsf6c.jpg

The kid had... you guessed it... apple juice. I believe it was given to him in the same huge glass.

Here is the kid's first plate:

20161206_164151_zpsutoqw30v.jpg

starting at 12 o'clock and going clockwise he had: apricot roasted pork, bbq meatball, mac and cheese from the kid's buffet, chicken nuggets, carved turkey, marinated flank steak and tater tots and corn dog nuggets in the middle.

I know it says "apricot roasted pork" but I think that it was stuffed with alternating apricots and prunes or something. This piece had a prune. It didn't matter what it had as the kid wasn't going to eat it but he did eat the pork when the offending dried fruit was removed. He ate everything on this plate except for the BBQ meatball, which I suggested he try and he agreed to at the buffet but then thought better of when he got it back to the table, which is fine. I did carefully select a piece of steak without much chimichurri on it though.

Here is my first plate:
20161206_164318_zpsvvbrjasr.jpg

In the bowl is butternut squash soup. From 12 o'clock and going clockwise is pear and pomegranate salad, a little piece of salmon, mashed potatoes, apricot roasted pork, marinated flank steak, I think the pasta stuff is called shrimp alfredo, and in the middle is a pumpkin ravioli with creamy tomato sauce.

The butternut squash soup was just ok. I normally love butternut squash soup and it's something that I make at home but it was a little sweeter and thicker than I prefer it so maybe that is why. My first experience with butternut squash soup in my life was years and years ago at Wolfgang Puck Express and I make a version of his recipe at home. It could have also been that I was grumpy about Santa Goofy though, or maybe just was not in the mood for it because it honestly didn't seem THAT far off from what I usually like Maybe I just was not in the mood for soup.

The pear and pomegranate salad was good. I do not like fennel so I left it behind and the fennel did not permeate the rest of the salad. The arugula was fresh and slightly peppery, the pear was crispy and sliced very thin, the pomegranate was fresh and not slimy and the dressing was very light (the argulua was dressed with a light vinaigrette before the other stuff was placed on top). I am not embarrassed to admit that I hunted for more pear and pomegranate to better balance the salad on my plate because as presented it is mostly arugula. It was good and a very holiday salad.

The salmon was good... not as good as the Biergarten poached salmon because this one was roasted, but it was decent. I do not like rare salmon (even though that's the way it is "supposed" to be) so buffet salmon, especially with a bit of sauce, is usually ok for me. It was well done (temperature) but not dried out and I believe it had some kind of olive tapenade on it even though I can't find a reference to what is on it anywhere on the web and I did not take any photos of the buffet.

The garlic mashed potatoes were delicious, as you'd expect. They were buttery and creamy and garlicky and had chunks of red potato in them and french fried onions sprinkled on top, which were mushy by the time I ate them so I think I skipped them on my second plate... there was no texture contrast with them and they looked better than they tasted.

The apricot pork was quite good. Again, as most buffet meats are, this was cooked well done but was that sweet spot between "well done" and "shoe leather." I prefer my pork a bit more rare actually and didn't find that this had much seasoning at all.

The flank steak was also just ok. Not bad, not great. At least it was not overdone though.

What looks like "seafood mac and cheese" was not actually labeled as such when I went. I believe it was called "shrimp alfredo." I believe this is a re-labeling of the old shrimp and lobster mac and cheese except they removed the lobster and called it alfredo. Unlike the bright golden mac and cheese on the kid menu, this had a lighter yellow cheese sauce. It was not an alfredo sauce no matter what it was labeled and it had the teeny tiny salad shrimp in it. This was also decent though, not for the seafood content though... it was just a decent slightly more grownup mac and cheese. The shrimp were so tiny and there were so few of them it didn't really impact the flavor one way or the other, it was almost like a shrimp fell into it from the neighboring dish or something.

Right in the middle is the pumpkin ravioli with tomato cream sauce. In previous reviews I have read this was not actually a ravioli but was rather a gnocci. When I had it, it was definitely a ravioli, with a pumpkin and ricotta filling that was delicious and also a tomato cream sauce that was really delicious. It was nicely balanced between tomato and cream and seasoned well but quite thick and you had to go hunting in the serving dish to find enough for your ravioli, which I did. This was my favorite bite of the whole buffet.

For the kid's second plate, I actually let him go up to the buffet himself. Because he wanted to and because I try to encourage his independent streak when it shows itself. Also because the kid's buffet hurt my back to lean down into. He did ok but there was a big line for the kid's buffet and I ended up circling back over there to see if he needed help by the time he got up there, but he was doing just fine and was very careful and deliberate about serving himself. Another, older kid was behind him getting very impatient too. Back in the days when I had no kids and knew everything about parenting, I would have been horrified at how rude this kid's tone was... he complained very loudly to his mom that people were "in his way" and he was practically crawling up my butt and she was desperately trying to get him to lower his voice and change his tone a bit and back off, but he seemed like he was getting more agitated. Now that I have a kid on the spectrum I recognized both the tone and the manner and I turned around and said "well be done in just a minute, and then it's your turn buddy." He changed his tone immediately and said "oh ok, thank you" and his mother looked so relieved, I really felt for her. I only relay this little story in case you run into some kid at disney who looks big enough and old enough to know better but who has an impatient and apparently very rude tone... I think it more likely that the kid is on the spectrum and has issues with tone, volume and waiting patiently and a little kindness goes a very long way. I know for my kid, the unknown of how long something was going to take created a lot of anxiety and I guess for this kid too, hearing it was his turn next seemed to do the trick in calming him down. I know it has for me in the past when I was mortified by something my kid was doing, knowing he looks completely normal except for his behavior and seeing the mix of horrified stares and people awkwardly looking away and it felt good to help this poor mom de-escalate the moment for her kiddo. When my son was first diagnosed it made me so sad that his life would be more difficult for him, but I think it has truly made BOTH of us much more empathetic toward other people.

Anyway, sorry for that preachy little paragraph. Here is the kiddo's self-composed second plate. I think he was kind of relieved to hit the kid food after all of the steaks and goat cheese ravioli and all that stuff...which he did great with, but sometimes you just want a chicken nugget and some mac and cheese!

20161206_170859_zpslwjhgdan.jpg

tater tots, chicken nugget, corn dog nuggets, mac and cheese. He had done his duty and tried a few things on the first round so I was happy to just let him have what he wanted. He finished what he took.

20161206_170852_zpslf62evvg.jpg

as always from 12 o'clock and clockwise: mashed potatoes, "shrimp alfredo", pumpkin ravioli with tomato cream sauce, salmon, one chicken nugget and two fried shrimp with tartar sauce.

the mashed potatoes were yummy again. The neither shrimp nor alfredo "shrimp alfredo" was good on the second serving too. The pumpkin ravioli was still very very good, with extra creamy tomato sauce scooped on top. The salmon was very dried out this time - I took a thicker end piece hoping it would not be but it turned out that that thicker end piece was actually a paper thin piece folded in two and it was very dry. I didn't eat it this time. The chicken nugget was amazeballs as disney chicken nuggets are. The fried shrimp was delicious too... I LOVE fried shrimp and I had missed out on it during my first round entirely.

In between dinner and dessert, I witnessed the second most horrifying thing I witnessed at WDW. It was a father having a complete meltdown at his son at the dinner table. I have no idea what this kid did and having lost my crap a time or two, I try very hard to not judge other parents... but if that had been my husband there would have been a huge brawl right there in the restaurant. I could not believe the humiliating and horrible things he was saying to his son, telling him he was an ungrateful brat and threatening to never feed him again... I can only imagine that the kid had complained about the food or something... the kid was sobbing and begging forgiveness, the mother was attempting to comfort him, the father was liberally dropping the f-bomb and slamming things around calling the kid all kinds of nasty names. My kid had his back to the mess and when he is in a place with a lot of noise like that, the whole background blends together and he is oblivious... but I got the full show even trying to ignore it.

Anyway in an attempt to get away from the scene we went up and got dessert. Broken record, I am not much of a dessert person but the one thing I DO like about buffets are the little mini desserts because they generally scratch my two bite sweet tooth itch.

Here is the kid's dessert plate:
20161206_173440_zpsfwz7bbvd.jpg

The kid tends to be fairly conservative when it comes to dessert. He got I think what looked like a donut hole except I think it was some dense chocolatey minty truffle thing that he did not like... a chocolate chip cookie and a red velvet cupcake with santa mickey ears. he liked the cookie and the cupcake. He actually self regulates very well when it comes to dessert and doesn't really overdo it... he will actually leave half a dessert most of the time, so I usually just set him loose. He was tickled that the decoration on the cupcake matched his santa mickey ears:

20161206_173851_zps1t7dhraj.jpg

Here is my dessert plate:

20161206_173616_zpsas3cxkep.jpg

I got a pecan tart, an eggnog cheesecake and some soft serve ice cream with both caramel and chocolate sauce. I took one bite of the eggnog cheesecake and it was just too sweet for me. the pecan tart though was probably my second favorite bite of dessert of the whole trip (the bavarian cheesecake being #1). I don't like white chocolate so I removed the decorations. The pecan tart was in a crunchy cookie shell (I do not like pie crust) and was the perfect little 4 bites of pecan pie, especially served with ice cream. The soft serve was soft serve, it was fine but not life changing. the kid helped me eat this too.

And here are a couple of character shots. As I said earlier, I DID find the character interaction to be really quite good here. Here is a shot of my child having a long "conversation" with Daisy about pokemon after she noticed pikachu on this shirt. I could not believe how communicative she was in pantomime. It was a highlight of the meal and one of the highlights of the whole trip:

20161206_170752_zpsjpwpfr3d.jpg

I have no clue what is up with the funky camera angle except I was rushing to capture a moment, lol. It was a true bit of magic and more than made up for the rushed Santa Goofy interaction.

and a nice composed family shot taken by @areno79, who happened to be eating there at the same time:

20161206_175516_zps1jlkw9bf.jpg

And just to round out the review, here is a shot from Fantasmic! The seats are GREAT with the dinner package, but I am pretty sure that is known far and wide. here is Mickey vanquishing Maleficent as dragon:

20161206_192417_zpsoqvpnexw.jpg

So in summary, I am as much on the fence about ever doing this again as I was when it was a complete unknown. The positives were the characters in ADORABLE christmas costumes, the stellar character interaction and the amazing seats for Fantasmic. The negatives are the price (it's a great value on DDP and I would much more likely do it again on DDP than I would OOP), the food... which was just fine and tasty but really the best tasting things were all things you can get at counter service as well... so again on DDP I'd be more fine with this, but I might have a hard time swallowing the $56 price tag OOP for fried shrimp and starchy sides. The more "expensive" foods like salmon and other meats were just so-so and I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't get a delicious specialty lemonade as my beverage without paying extra. Also, I have found that I MUCH prefer the breakfast character meals. For one, I LOVE basic breakfast food and the with the lower price I am not thinking at all about value, I just eat what I feel like. Also I have found the atmosphere to be less tense. It is the morning, kids are fresh and excited, adults have not reached the point in the day when they have had ENOUGH and no one is tired and cranky yet. I generally don't pay attention to what is going on around me but sometimes people make it harder to ignore than others. The problem with H&V is there is no breakfast option with the Fab 5. I think if I did the F! package again I'd want to do Mama Melrose but the kiddo LOVED this meal, had a great time, enjoyed his kid food and character interaction... so chances are if he begged me I'd do it again for him... but probably only during either christmas or halloween when there are the truly special character costumes, and only on the DDP. If it was during the summer and the kid wanted the beach theme I'd go to cape may breakfast. So not sure ultimately how helpful that review will be for anyone. I was not the horror show some people have stated it is (except for some of the other guests) but honestly if it were priced closer to $40 than $60 it would be more worth it to me. It's a generic Disney buffet. You will not go away hungry or dissatisfied if your expectations are properly set (and ours were). I liked almost everything I ate and sometimes it is a relief in the middle of the fancy food to just have some basic fried stuff and mashed potatoes. I'm just not super eager to return.
Thanks for sharing the buffet line story! Excellent reminder. As for the other story - yikes. Poor kid. Although I did yell at one of mine in the car this morning for what turned out to be absolutely no reason. I'm still feeling guilty.

Thanks for sharing the buffet line story! Excellent reminder. As for the other story - yikes. Poor kid. Although I did yell at one of mine in the car this morning for what turned out to be absolutely no reason. I'm still feeling guilty.
yeah I always try to temper my judgement knowing how much disney can put families under stress and knowing I have been SO patient for weeks or months on end only to finally lose it over something stupid... but this guy went on and on and on and dropping so many F-bombs in an area with so many kids and just the way the kid was sobbing... it was all hard to watch. I would never forgive myself if I lost it to that extent on my son and especially in public. And believe me, he's a kid and he has had his ungrateful moments and they usually set me off pretty badly to be honest. Mostly my point is that that I tend to avoid dinner buffets for this reason... I think that character buffets are a higher stress situation for most parents than sit down when they are not managing their kids AND their kids plates AND the characters in between and that everyone is just a lot less tolerant and a lot more edgy toward the end of the day. I just found that there were a lot more edgy kids and frazzled parents and the vibe was a bit less relaxed than at all of our character breakfasts. I would probably be disinclined to book another character dinner again, although we've done lunches that were just fine.

I know am better equipped to deal with the chaos and the managing of all the various things I have to manage at breakfast than at dinner. At dinner I like to sit down, relax and have someone serve me. We were both pretty chill at this meal because it had been a fairly down day even though we spent a lot of time on our feet, we were not fatigued with people or lines or any of that stuff. I might have gotten a lot more testy about the whole thing with Santa Goofy if I'd been at the park since RD at that point. I planned this meal on a down day because I knew it would be harder than the rest, and it was. I book character meals because the lines are pretty hard for kiddo, esp when the characters disappear on you so starting it off with a line when he was then denied actually getting to see the character was a bit tricky but we managed. I am not really complaining about the way they do things there necessarily, just that method is harder for us than it might be for other kids. It just took more energy and management of the situation than at character meals that do not have the line up for the character. I will say that I was a little taken aback at how strict they were on the "one visit with Santa Goofy" thing. Like I said, I was not really focused on visiting with him when we were whisked away as I had just finished negotiating the entire buffet with the kid (we talk about things that are there and whether he'd like to try it) and I couldn't shift quickly enough to remember I what I wanted, lol.

I love seeing the characters all dressed up in their holiday outfits. My mom can be pretty picky, and I've been considering H&V holiday dine for her in October. I've never been in the fall, so I know I would be excited to see the gang all dressed up for Halloween.

I'm really struggling to figure out where to take her...I'd wanted to do Cali Grill, but then I imagined her ordering a steak and asking to have it almost burned and with a bottle of ketchup, and figured it would be a waste to bring her there. Something like the holiday dine is neutral enough with a dose of fun, so I think it might be a good choice.

Your reviews really have been helpful to me...I know the things that my husband and kids will like (pretty much anything), but planning these trips without them and with our moms has been such a different experience. It's fun to see how our experiences were similar or different at places we've gone, and it's great to see reviews of things we haven't made time to try yet.

I'm hoping my mom branches out from nuggets and tries to enjoy herself...I think she'll be a little more adventurous without my stepdad there (fingers crossed, anyway!)

but this guy went on and on and on and dropping so many F-bombs in an area with so many kids and just the way the kid was sobbing... it was all hard to watch.

I might have said something to a server at this point. That's just really unacceptable, even after a long day! Not sure if any cast member could even approach a guest about bad behavior like that, but I'm sure you weren't the only one whose dinner he was ruining.

I might have said something to a server at this point. That's just really unacceptable, even after a long day! Not sure if any cast member could even approach a guest about bad behavior like that, but I'm sure you weren't the only one whose dinner he was ruining.

I didn't really mention our server in this review but he was pretty nonexistent... in that drink glasses were refilled without asking and dirty plates disappeared but we saw him once at the beginning and once at the end. It was a little weird. There was nothing really wrong with our experience, we never came back to a dirty table from the buffet and never ran out of beverage... but he was not really around to ask for stuff. The other table had settled down quite a bit by the time we paid our bill.

I did have another situation where we were waiting to get on space mountain. about 4 or 5 families in front of us, the family was bodily DRAGGING their crying son through the queue. Like it took 2 full grown adults to scan his magicband on the FP+ check point. The kid was crying and screaming and begging not to go on and the dad dragged him up to the checkpoint while the mom grabbed his arm and after several tries was able to scan his magicband through. Then I watched with horror as they dragged this kid through the rest of the queue and his father picked him up and put him in the seat and held him down while they put down the restraint and then took his glasses away. The kid was crying and begging "no no no I don't want to go on no no no". It was so distressing. By then there was a CM kind of close by and I flagged her down and asked if they were going to let those people force that child to go on space mountain? She shrugged and said that Disney has a policy to not interfere with "parenting decisions" unless it is a direct safety hazard. I said, "they had to HOLD him down and restrain him into that ride, how is that not a safety hazard?" she said "well if they couldn't get him strapped in with the restraint locked we'd have to call a supervisor to make the call on what to do." The kid was screaming and trying to claw his way out of the seat. It was truly the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life and I wanted to throw up after witnessing it.

After we exited I was kind of hoping to see that kid was happy and excited that he had gone on and that I had completely misread the situation and the parents knew what was best for their child and knew he'd ultimately enjoy it but no... the parents were standing around while the kid was curled up in a ball on what looked like his grandfather's lap clinging to him, shaking and crying. I have never wanted to hit someone so badly in my life. So yeah, I'm not sure what Disney would have done in that situation if they were so hands off at space mountain. Maybe asked for the profanity to stop since that is offensive but honestly I'd rather hear the f-bomb than watch a kid nearly stroke out being bodily forced onto a roller coaster.

I love seeing the characters all dressed up in their holiday outfits. My mom can be pretty picky, and I've been considering H&V holiday dine for her in October. I've never been in the fall, so I know I would be excited to see the gang all dressed up for Halloween.

I'm really struggling to figure out where to take her...I'd wanted to do Cali Grill, but then I imagined her ordering a steak and asking to have it almost burned and with a bottle of ketchup, and figured it would be a waste to bring her there. Something like the holiday dine is neutral enough with a dose of fun, so I think it might be a good choice.

Your reviews really have been helpful to me...I know the things that my husband and kids will like (pretty much anything), but planning these trips without them and with our moms has been such a different experience. It's fun to see how our experiences were similar or different at places we've gone, and it's great to see reviews of things we haven't made time to try yet.

I'm hoping my mom branches out from nuggets and tries to enjoy herself...I think she'll be a little more adventurous without my stepdad there (fingers crossed, anyway!)

sorry I missed this because I got caught up in my memories of bad parenting at Disney. Like I said, I am not mother of the year myself and I tend to be pretty nonjudgmental of other parents having being driven over the edge myself by my kid (who, as adorable as he is, can be quite trying and high maintenance sometimes). I get angry. We all do. But I have never seen stuff like I saw on this last trip.

Anyway, I think buffets are great for picky eaters and I DID do mostly lunch and dinner buffets with my son in 2014 because it is easier to feed him there. At the time he would do plain meat with no grill marks so the carved meats were always good and he could have a side of pasta or mac and cheese (tater tots and roasted potatoes and that kind of stuff were not options then) and I felt like he was having a real meal rather than JUST mac and cheese. But the other thing about buffets is that they let you try out new foods with zero commitment. You do not need to worry about wasting your dinner if you don't like something. For the picky kid this is very liberating since he is interested but just has such strong textural stuff and aversions that it can be hard to get past that.

That said, I think it sounds like your mom doesn't much care what she eats as long as it is plain and to her liking. I would look at restaurants as overall experiences. Sure the food is a big part of the appeal of CA Grill but so is the view and the atmosphere! If she wants her plain steak well done, let her have it well done and I bet even CA Grill has ketchup in the back somewhere and would serve it in a fancy little cup. If she's just going to eat plain food everywhere then I'd find the best experiences out there and let disney do their picky eater magic.

Anyway, sorry for that preachy little paragraph.

Before I even saw that you wrote this I was specifically going to thank you for that very paragraph--what an excellent reminder for all of us that things are not always as they seem and sometimes a friendly word is all that is necessary to help diffuse a situation. You did a very nice thing for that other mom. And your son did a very kind thing letting that other little boy cut in line for Santa Goofy. You were nicer about the Santa Goofy thing (when it was your turn) than I think I would have been, but I get it. At any rate, you and your son are obviously both very kind and compassionate people and it shows :)

As for that father screaming at his child...I couldn't believe what I was reading. I mean, trust me, I have gone ballistic on my kids any number of times and they are no stranger to the F-bomb but that is at home for Pete's sake, NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A RESTAURANT AT WALT DISNEY WORLD. If I was that mom I would have grabbed my kid and bailed and then had it out with my idiot husband later. That poor kid. I don't care how pi**ed off your kid makes you, you get up and get out of there and get a drink or whatever you need to do to calm the heck down and stop making a scene. Nothing that kid said could have justified such a response. Geez! Glad your kiddo was oblivious to it at least.

And as for that Space Mountain experience you described, I think that it absolutely deplorable that they would allow parents to physically FORCE a child onto a ride like that. I really am shocked that they don't have a policy against exactly that. What is with these people traumatizing their kids at WDW?!

OK, sorry, back to the food. Your review really was very good and detailed, and your descriptions were awesome :thumbsup2

I'm late to the party and I just started (I'm currently reading your Sanaa review). You have several of the same ADRs as we do for June and I have a semi picky 2 yr old, a really picky 5 yr old, and a very non-adventurous DH! Therefore, I am looking forward to reading the rest! Also, would definitely be interested in a TR...just because :), but also because I plan to try to use SDFP myself and would love to read more about your experiences. I remember reading your overview on the SDFP thread and I think you had two sets. I'll have a family set and then another band that I'll use for me (bc I will pre-book mostly only myself for the coasters as no one else in my family rides them, so I am hoping to use the one extra to schedule myself for the family friend rides that I pre-book for everyone else).

In any case, I am going back to pg 1 to try to catch up as fast as I can! :)

Question way back regarding SciFi - is the shake no longer counted as just a beverage? It's been seven years for us but back then we could still get a different dessert?

Before I even saw that you wrote this I was specifically going to thank you for that very paragraph--what an excellent reminder for all of us that things are not always as they seem and sometimes a friendly word is all that is necessary to help diffuse a situation. You did a very nice thing for that other mom. And your son did a very kind thing letting that other little boy cut in line for Santa Goofy. You were nicer about the Santa Goofy thing (when it was your turn) than I think I would have been, but I get it. At any rate, you and your son are obviously both very kind and compassionate people and it shows :)

As for that father screaming at his child...I couldn't believe what I was reading. I mean, trust me, I have gone ballistic on my kids any number of times and they are no stranger to the F-bomb but that is at home for Pete's sake, NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A RESTAURANT AT WALT DISNEY WORLD. If I was that mom I would have grabbed my kid and bailed and then had it out with my idiot husband later. That poor kid. I don't care how pi**ed off your kid makes you, you get up and get out of there and get a drink or whatever you need to do to calm the heck down and stop making a scene. Nothing that kid said could have justified such a response. Geez! Glad your kiddo was oblivious to it at least.

And as for that Space Mountain experience you described, I think that it absolutely deplorable that they would allow parents to physically FORCE a child onto a ride like that. I really am shocked that they don't have a policy against exactly that. What is with these people traumatizing their kids at WDW?!

OK, sorry, back to the food. Your review really was very good and detailed, and your descriptions were awesome :thumbsup2

that is very kind of you to say but mostly I just get tired of dealing with people and cut my losses, lol. Disney didn't really give us a choice about letting the other kiddo see Santa Goofy (and I am fine with that too) but it was a little surprising and I had to help the kid make the shift. Not the end of the world and now I will be prepared for it anywhere else we go.

yeah about the guy losing it. I have a rule on vacation... it's fun. if it's not fun, we do something that is (even if it is take a nap). More on that later :)

Thanks, there are more reviews to come!

I'm late to the party and I just started (I'm currently reading your Sanaa review). You have several of the same ADRs as we do for June and I have a semi picky 2 yr old, a really picky 5 yr old, and a very non-adventurous DH! Therefore, I am looking forward to reading the rest! Also, would definitely be interested in a TR...just because :), but also because I plan to try to use SDFP myself and would love to read more about your experiences. I remember reading your overview on the SDFP thread and I think you had two sets. I'll have a family set and then another band that I'll use for me (bc I will pre-book mostly only myself for the coasters as no one else in my family rides them, so I am hoping to use the one extra to schedule myself for the family friend rides that I pre-book for everyone else).

In any case, I am going back to pg 1 to try to catch up as fast as I can! :)

Kiddo has gotten less picky as he has gotten older. I WISH I had written a dining report after 2014, it would be fun to compare. Even if it was all "kid had mac and cheese and liked it" lol. I hadn't really planned on a TR but maybe after I am done with dining and going through withdrawals i will. I have a lot to say about SDFP that I haven't forgotten either. If they close that loophole i am going to be saaaaaaaaaaaad. So happy to share my thoughts on that as well!

Question way back regarding SciFi - is the shake no longer counted as just a beverage? It's been seven years for us but back then we could still get a different dessert?

Shake is a beverage. We shared the credit and each got a shake - a beverage shake and a dessert shake. I am not much of a dessert person so a shake AND dessert would be way too much for me. But a shake for me and shake for the kid was just right!

DAY 6: Garden Grill aka YES it IS our third character meal in a row, what of it???

So yeah, we woke up bright and early after our early night after F! the night before (we were back in the room by 8-something) and I remember realizing DANG this is our third character meal in a row (and similar breakfast to the day before). I say to the kid "hey this is our third character meal in a row. Is it too much characters?" and he just laughed like "oh you so silly, mom!" And it really wasn't. This is the kind of thing I AGONIZED about in my trip planning... making sure the flow was good and things were well spaced, but somehow having 3 character meals in a row escaped my attention during the planning phase. If you are planning and it works out that way... it is fine. It really was not too much, I think especially since two were family style, which are a whole lot more low key than the buffets where you're timing buffet trips with character visits.

So the plan was to get up bright and early and go to rope drop at Epcot. I guess I will save the details of that for my trip report but we did Soarin' twice - once standby and then again with a SDFP scored right at rope drop before Garden Grill. My original plan had been to do soarin' at RD then living with the land before breakfast but as it turned out we did Soarin' twice, which was AOK with the kid. The second time we knew it would be our last time so we asked to wait for the middle top row. It was AWESOME.

We showed up right on time for breakfast at 10am and got the pager. I requested an outside booth table because I'm picky like that... I wanted to experience going through living with the land as part of this breakfast. We were seated pretty quickly and got a booth. It was no big deal, the restaurant didn't seem that crowded either.

So as any good review reader knows, the first thing you get is the cinnamon bun AS HUGE AS YOUR HEAD! (kiddo and I liked saying this to each other whenever we talked about this upcoming ADR, it cracked him up for some reason) and a bowl of fruit. So here is a picture of those:

20161207_103331_zpsh4xe0ear.jpg

It was a good cinnamon bun. It was hot and ooey and gooey and the icing was kind of melty and it was sweet and cinnamony and I ate a few bites of it, which is all I ever eat of stuff like that. It was plenty. The kid had some too and declared it good, but told me he could not eat a whole cinnamon bun the size of his head. I told him that was a good thing.

The fruit was decent... I liked the blueberries and grapes in addition to the ubiquitous melon/pineapple combo that is the base of all fruit salad everywhere, but the strawberries had seen better days. It was fine, I was able to just push them aside, but you can tell they are slightly less fresh looking. Everything else was good though, about the same as at 'Ohana.

The waitress also brought us beverages. The kid had... anyone? apple juice you say? you would be correct!

20161207_103900_zpstmdxnh2w.jpg

they serve the juices in mason jars. It's probably a pint mason jar? I am not sure but it was a heck of a lot bigger than those little plastic dentist spit cups they serve the juice in over at tusker house. and this only matters to me because here they have the POG juice!!!!!!!! which, if you've read the rest of this report, you know I am addicted to!!!

20161207_103828_zpswofqrmjk.jpg

yummy yummy POG juice and the waitress made sure my mason jar was always full. Also coffee. I do love coffee, but not as much as POG juice. I found that while at Disney sleeping like a rock from all of the walking was a much better way to be perky in the morning than drinking coffee. Also, I do not drink a lot of coffee... I love it, but one cup is fine for me. Why do they leave a whole carafe of coffee but not of the POG juice?!?

Shortly after came out the skillet. It will look a whole lot like what we had the day before. Which is quite alright actually because I really enjoyed what we had the day before!

20161207_103816_zpsvsl1wnfo.jpg

you know the drill - starting at 12 o'clock and going clockwise are tater tots, bacon, mickey waffles, scrambled eggs and sausage. with chocolate hazelnut sauce in the middle.

The eggs were light and fluffy and not too dry or wet, but I REALLY wish they had those homemade salsas they used to have way back when that I never got to try because I love salsa on eggs. Next trip I am bringing a mini sriracha keychain with me. Some homemade salsa would have rocked my world.

The sausage was the same as it was at 'Ohana where I fell in love with it, and I may have eaten all 4 links maybe since the kid won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

The bacon was also quite good and quite crisp but there wasn't a whole lot of it.

The mickey waffles were mickey waffle perfection and I quite enjoyed smearing chocolately goodness all over his grinning mug and then eating him up.

And the tater tots were... as has been reported were completely addictive... crispy, salty, potatoey perfection in a perfect little brand-free "potato barrel" package.

In fact, we asked for more bacon and more tater tots and this is what happens when you do that:

20161207_110050_zpslmhufqkv.jpg

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit... we ate all that. seriously. The bacon was all gnarled but nice and crispy like we like it - in fact we didn't really run into any limp bacon anywhere the whole trip. But yeah. we ate that whole thing after commenting to the waitress how huge it was and saying we'd never finish it... we did.

Also at some point the kid decided he was going to "try something new" where "something new" was dipping his tater tots into the chocolate sauce. He was all proud of his "invention" and he told the waitress about it. Here is photographic evidence of him plowing through that pile of tater tots and bogarting the chocolate sauce:

20161207_110611_zpsesgsuou4.jpg

The character interaction at the Garden Grill was pretty good. I have seen reports of people missing out on characters, especially toward the end of meals, and the place was pretty empty when we left, but there was a CM with a clipboard making sure everyone saw all of the characters. We saw Mickey when we first sat down and this is how upset the kid was to be at yet ANOTHER character meal:

20161207_104227_zpsih7tk8r1.jpg

After that we saw Chip. Who was pretty huggy. I love the huggy photos. I think the kid prefers the fuzzy characters to the face ones because he likes to hug them... he does NOT like to hug strangers but who wouldn't want to hug a life sized stuffed animal?

20161207_1048250_zpsfu7qe1st.jpg

and then Pluto came by in short order. Pluto was great both here and at 'Ohana

20161207_105418_zpsa7e3wlcj.jpg

he was playful, fun and sweet.

we had to wait a bit for Dale to come visit us last but the CM with the clipboard made sure it happened just after we paid our check:

20161207_105949_zpsrwqfnjmp.jpg

this is kiddo's "FINALLY!" look. All in all it was a great breakfast. The lunch/dinner menu does not appeal to me at all but as I've said before I LOVE breakfast, I did not mind having basic breakfast two days in a row or character meals two days in a row. It was nice, the food was good, the service was good. Two thumbs up and we'd do it again for sure. It helps that the land is one of my favorite Epcot attractions. We took one final selfie before departing after having made nearly a full round.

20161207_111632_zpskpzplmy6.jpg

I love the farmhouse... it's my favorite scene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter