Debt Dumpers - 2015

Haha, no I'm not that organized unfortunately. But I promise as soon as we return I'll post the link right here :)

You understand that this is now a legal & binding contract??? I do expect a TR now......:lmao:

Absolutely, I mean I wrote it on the interweb for all to see so that definitely makes it legal and binding, no turning back now :dancer:

Yes, legal & binding, plus we have a lawyer on here who will surely agree, right @DisneyMandC ????

I'm thinking to just finish out your current contract and then try to get a better rate to renew. Maybe even shop around.
Thanks…….not sure if the price will be any cheaper or the same in a year. Thanks for the reply. :)

I have no answer, this makes my head hurt just thinking about it!!

Is this just cable or internet and/or home phone too?

Do you watch these 100 extra channels? No matter what after your original 24 month contract the $159.99 would go up unless there's a new special?

Yes it is for internet and phone and really NO we would not miss the 100 channels. YES 99% chance it will go UP. Thanks for the reply.

Someone posted a while back about. 0% interest plan for healthcare charges? I have a patient who may need to use this and wanted to give it as an option. Thanks

Someone posted a while back about. 0% interest plan for healthcare charges? I have a patient who may need to use this and wanted to give it as an option. Thanks

That would be care credit (I think that's the name). You can look them up online and apply - and it will tell you the interest rates and how long you get 0% interest and on what amount

Yes it is for internet and phone and really NO we would not miss the 100 channels. YES 99% chance it will go UP. Thanks for the reply.

I have fios as well and sometimes if they think they are going to lose a customer they will try to do a discount or something. But if that is your only option as a provider and your 100% sure that your staying with them regardless then starting a new 2 year contract at the cheaper rate would not be a bad thing. Or you can start to shop around now to see what deal you could be getting with another provider and know that in 14 months you can switch!

Hi Dept Dumpers! I haven't been here in a while, but just wanted to drop in to say that as of Monday we will have one credit card paid off! We cashed in an old life insurance policy of my wife's several months ago and got just under $3600 for it, which was enough to pay off one card with a little left over. The card was at 0% until this month so I left the money in a savings account until now to earn a bit of interest. And once the payment goes through, I am closing that card.

I also got an offer from another card that I never use for 0% interest on balance transfers for 18 months, with only a 2% fee, which I plan to take advantage of to get some more time to pay off our other cards. They are also both currently at 0% but that expires at the end of this year. I won't have them paid off by then so its worth the small fee to get more time interest-free. I refuse to start paying 13-18% in interest on these cards!

How's everyone else doing?

Okay I need you guys advice. You are all so budget conscious I thought I would run this by the experts. We have Verizon Fios and pay 159.99 a month. ( cringe I know ) I can down grade our service from 420 channels to 320 and save 15 bucks a month. That part is a no brainer......however this is how it works. I am currently on a 24 month contract for 159.99 a month. If I switch today then I start a new 24 month plan. We have 14 months remaining then we will have to sign up for another special. Which I am pretty sure WILL BE MORE THAN 159.99 a month. If we switch today we get 144.99 for Months 1-14 and then it goes up to 164.99 a month which is 5 more bucks for 10 months than what we are paying now. The total spent with our current plan for 2 years is 3839.76 or new plan 3679.76 so a savings of 160 but 100 less channels. I know some of you will say DROP cable all together but that would never fly in this house with my husband and son. Is this worth doing even though in the end, the last 10 months we will jump up 20 bucks more a month from months 1-14. TIA

Since you would be paying less for things you wouldn't miss over the remaining time on the contract, I'd say go for the change. And definitely double check on available programs when it gets close to time. I've been on a recurring $20 off for 6 months promotional on my landline phone / DSL internet for the past 30 months. When it ends, I just call and ask if they still have a promotional program I qualify for, and I get put back on the same one.

That would be care credit (I think that's the name). You can look them up online and apply - and it will tell you the interest rates and how long you get 0% interest and on what amount

It is called Care Credit (or the one I have mentioned before is). You can apply online, and they will tell you what the rates are, the promotional periods, and how much credit they will extend to you. In my experience, the rate is really bad (if I miss the promotional period, they charge me 28%) but I've heard other people say it was in the teens for them. The promotional period ranges from 6 to 18 months from what I've seen, and it sometimes there are no choices, you only get the promotional period that the office is offering (my glasses were a 6 month only promotion, but were more expensive than the dentist that offered an 18 month option). The drawback might be that it is not accepted everywhere (have yet to find an optometrist that accepts it) . I do know a couple of other places that I have tried to use it didn't take it. My preferential vet (at this time) doesn't, but he doesn't take credit cards at all. And my medical clinic has never admitted to taking it, but I haven't every pushed the issue with them.

Hi Dept Dumpers! I haven't been here in a while, but just wanted to drop in to say that as of Monday we will have one credit card paid off! We cashed in an old life insurance policy of my wife's several months ago and got just under $3600 for it, which was enough to pay off one card with a little left over. The card was at 0% until this month so I left the money in a savings account until now to earn a bit of interest. And once the payment goes through, I am closing that card.

Great job - congratulations on paying off one card! I wouldn't close it since that can decrease your credit score. I've paid off a high interest rate card and have just left it open since the credit line on it is fairly large compared to my other cards and if I close it that will affect my credit to debt ratio. Just something to consider...

Congrats again!!

Great job - congratulations on paying off one card! I wouldn't close it since that can decrease your credit score. I've paid off a high interest rate card and have just left it open since the credit line on it is fairly large compared to my other cards and if I close it that will affect my credit to debt ratio. Just something to consider...

Congrats again!!
Thank you! If the card had a high limit or was one of my older ones I wouldn't close it, but the limit is relatively low. I am also going to end up with two of the same card when my Amtrak Guest Rewards card is converted to a Chase Freedom card in a couple months. (Amtrak and Chase are ending their partnership and all existing Amtrak cards are being automatically converted to Freedom cards. I'm bummed about this and hope I can get a new Amtrak card if/when one becomes available from another bank!)

Since you would be paying less for things you wouldn't miss over the remaining time on the contract, I'd say go for the change. And definitely double check on available programs when it gets close to time. I've been on a recurring $20 off for 6 months promotional on my landline phone / DSL internet for the past 30 months. When it ends, I just call and ask if they still have a promotional program I qualify for, and I get put back on the same one.

It is called Care Credit (or the one I have mentioned before is). You can apply online, and they will tell you what the rates are, the promotional periods, and how much credit they will extend to you. In my experience, the rate is really bad (if I miss the promotional period, they charge me 28%) but I've heard other people say it was in the teens for them. The promotional period ranges from 6 to 18 months from what I've seen, and it sometimes there are no choices, you only get the promotional period that the office is offering (my glasses were a 6 month only promotion, but were more expensive than the dentist that offered an 18 month option). The drawback might be that it is not accepted everywhere (have yet to find an optometrist that accepts it) . I do know a couple of other places that I have tried to use it didn't take it. My preferential vet (at this time) doesn't, but he doesn't take credit cards at all. And my medical clinic has never admitted to taking it, but I haven't every pushed the issue with them.

I'm just adding on - if you have a pet some of the vets take care credit. I have never used it but I can see it really coming handy if you have those unexpected vet bills!

Okay I need you guys advice. You are all so budget conscious I thought I would run this by the experts. We have Verizon Fios and pay 159.99 a month. ( cringe I know ) I can down grade our service from 420 channels to 320 and save 15 bucks a month. That part is a no brainer......however this is how it works. I am currently on a 24 month contract for 159.99 a month. If I switch today then I start a new 24 month plan. We have 14 months remaining then we will have to sign up for another special. Which I am pretty sure WILL BE MORE THAN 159.99 a month. If we switch today we get 144.99 for Months 1-14 and then it goes up to 164.99 a month which is 5 more bucks for 10 months than what we are paying now. The total spent with our current plan for 2 years is 3839.76 or new plan 3679.76 so a savings of 160 but 100 less channels. I know some of you will say DROP cable all together but that would never fly in this house with my husband and son. Is this worth doing even though in the end, the last 10 months we will jump up 20 bucks more a month from months 1-14. TIA

Okay - so I had to go back and read this again! Basically you have 14 months left on your contract at 159.99. If you opt to drop 100 channels you have to start your new contract for 24 months - so your starting over basically. On the new contract for the last 10 months you are paying $165 a month which is more than your paying now with 100 less channels. I do see that months 1-14 you will be paying $15 a month less - but I really don't think its worth it to start a new contract over. I say stay with what you have and then when this current contract runs out see what new promotions are available

I also got an offer from another card that I never use for 0% interest on balance transfers for 18 months, with only a 2% fee, which I plan to take advantage of to get some more time to pay off our other cards. They are also both currently at 0% but that expires at the end of this year. I won't have them paid off by then so its worth the small fee to get more time interest-free. I refuse to start paying 13-18% in interest on these cards!

How's everyone else doing?

Awesome!!! Isn't it a great feeling to cross one off your list?! If we could capture that feeling and sell it we'd be rich. Lol!
Be sure to add that min. monthly payment to the next bill and keep that momentum.
Congrats!

OT, I had a wonderful day off today. My work closed today for the Pope's visit to Philly this weekend. So dh took off too and we drove out to pick up ds18 at college and bring him home for the weekend. :love1:
It's sooo nice to see him!:cloud9:

Okay - so I had to go back and read this again! Basically you have 14 months left on your contract at 159.99. If you opt to drop 100 channels you have to start your new contract for 24 months - so your starting over basically. On the new contract for the last 10 months you are paying $165 a month which is more than your paying now with 100 less channels. I do see that months 1-14 you will be paying $15 a month less - but I really don't think its worth it to start a new contract over. I say stay with what you have and then when this current contract runs out see what new promotions are available

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter