Debt Dumpers - 2015

As of Friday, my third credit card will be paid off and I will have my largest one left (about $4200 left) but I can snowball what I was paying for the other ones, so it will go down quickly (I hope)
I was just approved for my soithwest cc but i am only planning on putting my utilities on it and paying it off each month for the miles. I will get the 50k miles and DS and I can fly to Disney for free in September and have about 21k mikes left for a family trip somewhere in 2016.

Plus side is my FICO raised 31 points since January. Other credit bureaus about 40-50 points. I'm nearly back to where I was credit score wise before debt.

Congrats!! That's Awesome!

As of Friday, my third credit card will be paid off and I will have my largest one left (about $4200 left) but I can snowball what I was paying for the other ones, so it will go down quickly (I hope)
I was just approved for my soithwest cc but i am only planning on putting my utilities on it and paying it off each month for the miles. I will get the 50k miles and DS and I can fly to Disney for free in September and have about 21k mikes left for a family trip somewhere in 2016.

Plus side is my FICO raised 31 points since January. Other credit bureaus about 40-50 points. I'm nearly back to where I was credit score wise before debt.

That is great on the cc!!! Congrats on getting to the last one! Snowballing everything to it will definitely pay it down faster!!

We're plugging away and finding spots where we can trim the fat on the budget. We've both been listening to Dave Ramsey's podcast and it's remotivated us. Between the car, my DH's loan payment and listening to the podcasted we're trying to figure out what we we can do. We've cancelled our gym membership, we're both picking up as much OT as possible and my husband is looking into doing handy man jobs through taskrabbit.

You will only have to pay taxes on the gains. If you paid in more then $3500 for the policy there will be no taxes. If you paid in less than $3500 there will be taxes on the amount of the gains. Most likely you will have no taxes to pay, and if you do it will be very minimal.
Thank you for this information! I don't have an accountant or tax attorney (I do my own on TurboTax) so I was about to start Googling. I typically get a refund at tax time, so that should offset it, but I can figure out what I might owe on any gains and save that up before April just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for this information! I don't have an accountant or tax attorney (I do my own on TurboTax) so I was about to start Googling. I typically get a refund at tax time, so that should offset it, but I can figure out what I might owe on any gains and save that up before April just to be on the safe side.

It is a pretty safe bet you will have no taxes on it. Those policies are not set up for high rate gains, investments set up in insurance policies never do. I would not worry one bit about a tax hit.

Also, if you know you are getting a tax return, you should look into adjusting your withholdings to minimize your refund and take your money now.

I am a couple of classes short of a CPA, but I always take my own taxes to a professional. He will let us bring in a pay stub half way thru the year and he will run the numbers and we adjust withholding if we need to.

Hi everyone! It sounds like you are all doing so well!!!! Thanks for the motivation!

My mom is dragging me down. She wants to move in with me "because I'm spreading myself so thin" which really means she's broke but she can't work a full time job because she's got rods and pins all over her spine. So I've just got to buckle down and do my best to keep her and myself afloat! I will pay any amount to keep her out of my home. I love her but she is crazy. I don't need that in my every day life, I can handle that craziness once a week or so. I'm still paying her a small stipend monthly for helping me out with child care, cleaning, and scheduling doctors appointments and such for me so at least she is working for the money I do give her. I just hate having to parent my mother. Isn't she supposed to parent me and spoil the crap out of my son?

Anyways...I made some small extra payments to my credit cards and put an extra $33 for a total of $83 in savings this week! Not a ton but I'm sleeping better at night so yay!

I'm still trying to plan a vacation. I really just need a break. So now my son and I are talking about a trip to Phoenix since we would only need to pay for plane tickets, and a rental for a few days. We would stay with family and use their car (they've offered!) most of the time and then just pay to cook at their house or eat out a lot cheaper than at Disney or universal! We would only need a rental to drive to the Grand Canyon as their car wouldn't make it there. We would get to relax and enjoy family we don't see nearly as often as we'd like to for a lot less than a trip to Disney. Win win!

Hi everyone! It sounds like you are all doing so well!!!! Thanks for the motivation!

My mom is dragging me down. She wants to move in with me "because I'm spreading myself so thin" which really means she's broke but she can't work a full time job because she's got rods and pins all over her spine. So I've just got to buckle down and do my best to keep her and myself afloat! I will pay any amount to keep her out of my home. I love her but she is crazy. I don't need that in my every day life, I can handle that craziness once a week or so. I'm still paying her a small stipend monthly for helping me out with child care, cleaning, and scheduling doctors appointments and such for me so at least she is working for the money I do give her. I just hate having to parent my mother. Isn't she supposed to parent me and spoil the crap out of my son?

Anyways...I made some small extra payments to my credit cards and put an extra $33 for a total of $83 in savings this week! Not a ton but I'm sleeping better at night so yay!

I'm still trying to plan a vacation. I really just need a break. So now my son and I are talking about a trip to Phoenix since we would only need to pay for plane tickets, and a rental for a few days. We would stay with family and use their car (they've offered!) most of the time and then just pay to cook at their house or eat out a lot cheaper than at Disney or universal! We would only need a rental to drive to the Grand Canyon as their car wouldn't make it there. We would get to relax and enjoy family we don't see nearly as often as we'd like to for a lot less than a trip to Disney. Win win!

Is your mom retired? Or on disability since she can't work? I understand your point about being the child - but your grown now and sometimes the tables turn and you have to take care of your parents. It's stressful and only you can make the decision.
The Grand Canyon is amazing if you've never been!!

That sounds like me. During Christmas break, I sit down and schedule as much as I can for the next year. I think there are only about 2 accounts that I can't schedule months in advance, and one of those I pay with my banks bill-pay (which I can schedule months in advance). I think all but 1 of my bills is prescheduled to pay through December, and then I have 1 transfer to savings I have to update every week (it's my "53 week savings goal" - 21 weeks in and successful so far, but I think I'm going to modify it next year to take advantage of the prescheduling capabilities at my bank.)

DAYVEWC: I just wanted to comment on your upcoming trip ..... just 2 1/2 weeks until you go "to that other place"??!?!!! You will have SO. MUCH. FUN!!!! We went there in 2012 & can't wait to go back next year!! My 70 year old MIL can't wait to get herself a wand LOL

DAYVEWC: I just wanted to comment on your upcoming trip ..... just 2 1/2 weeks until you go "to that other place"??!?!!! You will have SO. MUCH. FUN!!!! We went there in 2012 & can't wait to go back next year!! My 70 year old MIL can't wait to get herself a wand LOL

Thanks. I've avoided it so far because Disney is expensive enough by itself, but I figured now that WWOHP has been open a full year, and WDW is doing so many remodeling on AK and HS and EP that now is the time for the others. And with the city pass, or flex pass or whatever they call it, I can hit US and SW for the entire 10 days cheaper.

I'm excited. Very excited.

And Murphy has come to visit.

I am not exactly sure how I did it, but I started having some severe back pain last week. Went in to see a chiropractor Tuesday. He took x-rays and had me come back yesterday afternoon. Apparently, I have 2 misaligned vertebrae and a swollen disk that are pinching nerves causing the pain. He thinks he can do something to help, but on the scale of treatability from 1 being easy to fix to 4 being irreversible and requiring surgery, I ranked a 3.

So, he wants to do daily sessions for the next 2-3 weeks, then every other day for a couple of weeks. Which would be fine, except for 2 big problems 1) I leave for vacation in 16 more days and will be gone for 13 days and 2) the cost is more than I have in my HSA account. I'll eventually have more funds available, but not enough until August (and that's assuming no other office visits - which in June I have to do my annual wellness checkup and also my dental checkup).

So, looks like I'll have to whip out the CareCredit card. I think that the promotional offer will be a year of 0% interest based on the amount the visits will cost, and between downsizing my cell phone in June (which I had already planned to do) and paying off my portable air conditioner in August I'll be able to pay off the charge before the year is up. I had just been anticipating using those amounts to snowball on my remaining CC to get it paid off earlier.

I'm pretty sure I'll make it financially, and I think I'll make it physically - though I am almost to the point of "just take a chainsaw and remove everything below the rib-cage, that'll have to feel better."

Just why couldn't Murphy wait at least another 6-8 months before dropping in?

Swimming. I'm still swimming.

I am not exactly sure how I did it, but I started having some severe back pain last week. Went in to see a chiropractor Tuesday. He took x-rays and had me come back yesterday afternoon. Apparently, I have 2 misaligned vertebrae and a swollen disk that are pinching nerves causing the pain. He thinks he can do something to help, but on the scale of treatability from 1 being easy to fix to 4 being irreversible and requiring surgery, I ranked a 3.

So, he wants to do daily sessions for the next 2-3 weeks, then every other day for a couple of weeks. Which would be fine, except for 2 big problems 1) I leave for vacation in 16 more days and will be gone for 13 days and 2) the cost is more than I have in my HSA account. I'll eventually have more funds available, but not enough until August (and that's assuming no other office visits - which in June I have to do my annual wellness checkup and also my dental checkup).

So, looks like I'll have to whip out the CareCredit card. I think that the promotional offer will be a year of 0% interest based on the amount the visits will cost, and between downsizing my cell phone in June (which I had already planned to do) and paying off my portable air conditioner in August I'll be able to pay off the charge before the year is up. I had just been anticipating using those amounts to snowball on my remaining CC to get it paid off earlier.

I'm pretty sure I'll make it financially, and I think I'll make it physically - though I am almost to the point of "just take a chainsaw and remove everything below the rib-cage, that'll have to feel better."

Ouch! At this point I guess it's not possible to postpone the trip and put the money towards your healthcare - unless you took out some kind of travel insurance so you could get your $ back. Hopefully you won't be in too much pain and can enjoy vacation!

Oh Dayv! I'm so sorry, I hope that you feel better real soon!

Ouch! At this point I guess it's not possible to postpone the trip and put the money towards your healthcare - unless you took out some kind of travel insurance so you could get your $ back. Hopefully you won't be in too much pain and can enjoy vacation!

Yeah, I am well inside the "no refund" deadline. Although, realistically speaking, if I have to cancel I'm only going to actually "lose" the cost (in points and exchange fees) of my resort. I only have 2 dining reservations, and those I can cancel, and where I've bought tickets, they are good until used. Or that is my understanding.

But, I am planning to try to go. I may discover when it gets closer that I won't be able to, but I had made hotel reservations for the drive down when I thought I would be going by myself, so the travel days will not be as bad as they could be. (10 hour days instead of 18 hour days in the car). And I already had issues with my knees, so I normally rent an ECV when I vacation, which will let me stay off my feet and should let me enjoy the parks still, even if I can't go open to close, with the scooter I can at least go for longer than 10 minutes.

Oh Dayv! I'm so sorry, I hope that you feel better real soon!

Thanks, and I hope so too.

Funny story: I went to my regular doctor yesterday and got prescriptions for a pain killer and a muscle relaxer. But by the time I got to the pharmacy, they were closed for the day. So, my roommate picked up the meds and brought them to me at work this morning. A bit later, I felt my back pulse, or blow out, or what have you (felt like how when you squeeze a stress ball and it bubbles out between your fingers), so I took the muscle relaxer. That may have been a mistake, as it almost knocked me out and definitely made me a bit loopy. So, when the students came in for class in the afternoon, I apparently was far enough out of it that one of them went to the teacher next door and expressed concern. Which brought the counselor and principal and nurse all to my room. From which I was removed and sent home, but only if I had someone to drive me. So, I called the roommates to come and pick me up. Good thing I have 2 of those now, or someone's car would still be at the school. Went to my appointment at the chiropractor, which helped some for a bit, and called and talked to the principal after school and I will not be there tomorrow.

4-day weekend!! Though not how I would have chosen to get one.

Thanks to everyone for the sympathies. This is definitely not a pleasant experience.

On the positive side, I managed to get my initial payment refunded on the therapy sessions and then paid the entire amount on the CareCredit card with 18 months at 0% interest - which translates to about $50/month. Which is exactly what I've been paying for my air conditioner that pays off in August, and is close to what I've estimated I'll save on my phone when I downsize it. And, as long as I keep the receipt, my understanding is that I can file for a refund from my HSA account if I have sufficient funds. So, I'm thinking this will be how I pay for Christmas. I should have enough in the account by then, so I can file for the refund and either use it for gifts or go ahead and pay off the balance. I think I'll actually make that decision when that time comes, it will all depend on if I wind up with additional medical charges or not.

Ugh Davy, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully with so many appts between now and your expected trip date you will feel much better. Sending you healthy *vibes*!

So sorry to hear about your back, dayvewc. I hope it starts feeling better very soon. Also glad to hear that your roommates are helping you out!

For anyone who might be interested, I started a pre-trip report for my September stay at POR. In the meantime, my house closes in 12 days!!

That's awesome news on the house!!!

As you know I'm already on the Pre-TR, lol:rotfl2:

I know how you feel. I just went through it around 2 yrs ago. The pain was so bad I couldn't get comfortable now matter how I sit, stand, or lay down. By the time I was headed for my 2nd night without sleep, I was ready to jump off a bridge. It was like someone shoved a butcher's knife into my left hip. I could barely walk and missed a week of work. At its worst, the only way I could sit on the toilet was with 2 Percocets. Once I got some steroids (reduces inflammation) pain relievers & muscle relaxers, I could finally do more than cry in agony.

I then started physical therapy 2x/week and what a difference it made. Over the course of around 8 weeks they kept reassessing my pain, strength & range of motion and adjusting the treatment to what I needed. They put me in traction a few sessions too. They were so awesome I didn't want our sessions to end.:cloud9: On the last day I brought them a bag of candy & wished I could do more for them. :flower3: They did say it usually just comes with age and not necessarily that I "did something" to it. It all started for me when I put socks on. Dh has been through it too.

I still have a strip of numbness that runs down the outer part of my left leg to my little toe and it's always numb there but at least it's not pain. Last weekend I planted 40 flowers and ached a little more than usual but nothing some ibuprofen couldn't fix.

I work in radiology in a large hospital that is also a trauma center/regional spinal cord injury center so we tend to lean toward orthopedics/PT vs. chiropractors. (In MD circles, chiropractors & podiatrists are kind of viewed at as "wanna be" physicians.) Some people though have said a chiropractor has helped when their doctor couldn't. Respectfully, it's your choice of course. :goodvibes Do whatever works for you.

Ortho & PT are covered by health insurance so my copay was $15/visit. If you go that route, at least you wouldn't have to deal with Care Credit.

I wish I still had the papers they gave me in PT with diagrams of the stretching exercises. I will look for them and send them to you if I find them. I kind of got out of the habit of doing them.
The one I found most helpful was laying on my back, no pillow, with knees bent, feet flat on the bed. Then lifting buttocks up off the bed as much as comfortably possible & hold for a few seconds. Actually, this is good for anyone who spends a lot of time sitting at work. Sitting is so bad for our backs.

I hope you feel better!!! :hug:

ETA: I just wanted to add, I also got some OT with the PT. Only a session or 2 but it was really helpful. They watch how you do everyday things and give tips on how to do them without making your back worse, keeping shoulders hips & knees in alignment. So he'd throw a piece of paper on the floor and watch how I pick it up. They had a large bin to pretend how I'd take clothes from the washer. Things like that.
So instead of just bending over to pick up paper, keep one foot more in front while facing the paper, then lift the opposite/back foot toward the sky up as you lean down. This is the way golfers pick up a ball. That has helped a lot and I find myself doing that even just when I have to lean a little, like reaching into the washer, without having to consciously think about doing it. It just becomes a habit. :)

Last edited:
I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have been reading everyones' posts. Very inspiring! I've been watching every penny, slowly working to pay down out debt. It's very empowering to see those balances continue to drop!

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have been reading everyones' posts. Very inspiring! I've been watching every penny, slowly working to pay down out debt. It's very empowering to see those balances continue to drop!

Great job!! I can't wait to see my balances on two cc's go to zero once my house sale is final! 10 days and counting!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter