"Dear Amy"

AmandaSparks730

<marquee><font color=purple> All shall know the wo
In my local paper today...this got me REALLY mad. Beyond mad. This smilie can't even describe it :furious:

'Homosexuality is a choice'

Dear Amy,

I was reading your column about "Betsy", a lesbian who was sexually harassing her co-workers. I was surprised to read that you don't think Betsy's sexuality is a choice. This is very desentitizing to youth. I am a high school teacher. Homosexuality is a choice and a very bad and unnatural one at that. It is moral perversion, and it is sex outside of marriage. I have two daughters 12 and 10, and they won't ever hear me say that it is OK to be gay. -David

(Amy's answer)

There is some likelihood that a percentage of your high school students are gay, whether or not they are foolish or naive enough to admit it to you. There is also the chance that one or more of your children could be gay. I can only hope that your thinking evolves and that you learn to withhold judgement of people based on such an elemental issues as their sexuality.

I'm so mad right now that I'm shaking.

"David" is so wrong. It's not a choice. Do you think we CHOOSE to be this way? Harrassed publicly like this?

NO!

God, I wish I lived in Europe. They seem to be cooler about this over there.

Please, respond to this.

AND NO HOMOSEXUAL BASHING, PLEASE! Honest, NICE opinions only.

I think Amy is right, though. Very right.

i think your right its not a chioce its just who u are and david is totally wrong IMO

that's ugh i dont even know a word to describe it. just because someone is different than you doesnt make your way right. im not gay or lesbian but i dont have a problem with them. and how would 'david ' know if it was a choice, obviously he is not gay. and you should let your kids live there own lives, you shouldnt tell them which gender to like. you may as well make all of their decisions then. " kid 2 you will prefer vanilla and not like chocolate bc your sister doesnt like chocolate and it will save us money on birthday cakes" rawr. i hate when ppl in my class come up and whisper things in my ear like did you know that guy was Gay? yes, i knew but how is it yours or my business? if humans are at the top of the food chain, the most inteligent species on earth why cant some of us accept that we are not all the same.

I agree with Amy.
Homosexuality is not a choice, you are born with it.
It bother's me when people state otherwise, since it is a proven fact [right?]

This is my opinion so no flames....
I think David is absolutely right. One cannot possibly be born homosexual because you cannot think when you are a baby. When a person knows what's right and wrong, that is the time when they can make their own choices. One of those choices is whether to be gay or not. If you are lesbian, you can't expect everyone to be one, so I think it's wrong to sexually harasss your coworkers, especially if there is no consent between the sexual activity.

Ugh. I hate ignorant people like David.

Ditto.
It is more relaxed in Europe. When my mom was growing up, she said seeing gays and lesbians walking down the street was no big deal. Holding hands NEVER warranted a second look there, unlike here.
A couple of weeks ago on 20/20 they did a segments on G&Ls and PDA. One gay couple was on a bench kissing, not making out, and several people called the cops and swore up and down it was illegal.

Definitely not a choice.

The other day we read an article about some rappers being gay (Um, Lil Wayne... and the Bird Man? Whoever they are), and it was possibly the most infuriating class I ever sat through.
First, the people they interviewed in the article said that 'Rappers can't be gay, it's not how things are.'
And then my class agreed! They were like 'OMG EW TWO GUYS KISSING' and then 'RAPPERS AREN'T GAY. THEY CAN'T BEEEEE.'

My teacher asks: "What is the article about?"
And they say 'About how rappers aren't gay. It's not gangster.'
Like wth?
Thankfully my teacher isn't an idiot (god love him, he's seriously the best in so many ways) and told them they were wrong and the more they bashed gays, the stupider and less intelligent they sounded.

I think David is absolutely right. One cannot possibly be born homosexual because you cannot think when you are a baby. When a person knows what's right and wrong, that is the time when they can make their own choices. One of those choices is whether to be gay or not. If you are lesbian, you can't expect everyone to be one, so I think it's wrong to sexually harasss your coworkers, especially if there is no consent between the sexual activity.

Really? Then how does one cry, whine, beg for mommy, roll on their tummy when their young?
You can think, you just don't speak. Sorry, but that argument is a load of ****.

Really? Then how does one cry, whine, beg for mommy, roll on their tummy when their young?
You can think, you just don't speak. Sorry, but that argument is a load of ****.

Fine okay, that's what I meant, (english is not my first language), but one cannot possibly tell right from wrong while you are a baby or a child. It's your choice if you want to be gay or not.

Sonya is right about that.

god knows how many times i tried to become straight, become normal, to fit in and like women. it just wasn't me. it isn't a choice. you couldn't understand what i mean because you're not gay, and i get that. it's cool man, but don't go fooling yourself into believing that it's a choice.

just like you couldn't start liking women, i as well could not do that. it's just the way i was born.

Noooo, it's not.

Would YOU choose to be harrassed?

Every. Freaking. Day?

Did you know that gay teens are in a very high suicide rate?

Exactly.

Sonya's right. Babies don't know much of anything. It's...just the way it is.

I didn't wake up one morning and go "hey, I think I'll be bi today" and wake up the next morning and go "nahh, I'm straight again".

Where's Reid? Maybe he can put some imput in, or Jenny.

god knows how many times i tried to become straight, become normal, to fit in and like women. it just wasn't me. it isn't a choice. you couldn't understand what i mean because you're not gay, and i get that. it's cool man, but don't go fooling yourself into believing that it's a choice.

just like you couldn't start liking women, i as well could not do that. it's just the way i was born.
Aww. *hugs*

My best friend feels that way. Poor dear.

And yeahh, I went out with her, but...you know?

She's a great person. It doesn't matter if she's gay or not.

So you weren't born straight? You chose it?

Of course it's not a choice! It's just how you are...like you're born with blue eyes, it's just a part of you!

Being gay is a choice because technically we are made to like the opposite sex. It's mental. It's not a disease. It's a CHOICE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter