DDP 2008 Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Ive read the various incarnations of the tipping argument...errr...I mean disscussion, in light of the 2008 changes. Now that we are close to our first 2008 trip my husband even chimed in this week in regards to being cash prepared this time around. 18% is NOT the norm here in the very upper, very eastern MidWest. Over the holidays we spent time in various restaurants with large parties where gratuity was automatically added. In our parts it still is 15%. He & I will stick with our personal norm which still seems reasonable.

As for the OP, whether I pay $5.95 for a burger at Bob Evans or $12.95 for a burger in a more upscale establishment, I still pay the same percent even if the Bob Evans burger is better :confused3 That's what I get for paying almost $13 for a burger :) I figure the server shouldn't have to pay the price for an overpriced sandwich.

You spoke of not taking things out of context, yet both of your quotes takes my words completely out of context.

I never said that a server deserved to be treated badly, as a matter of fact I went out of my way to point out that I didn't believe in mistreating servers (which you conveniently left out to slant my words to your purpose, making it seem as though I condoned at any point this behavior.) What I said was that jerks are a part of a servers job, Right or wrong like it or not.

Servers know that jerks are part of their job description when they sign up, they also know that the field of public service requires that you deal with rude guests politely despite their rudeness because it is in fact part of the job description. Anything less is unprofessional. We all have parts to our jobs we don't like - and if we find that we can not handle those parts in a professional manner perhaps we should seek other employment.

As to the other quote of mine you took out of context - where you demanded to know why I felt that a server deserved to have poor quality of food held against the server. If you had bothered to read my entire post and taken it at face value - you would see that is not actually what I said.

What I said was that I find it hypocritical that servers with one hand are aghast that someone would hold poor quality against them, and yet don't seem to mind raking the cash in with the other, should it be based upon superior quality of food. Either way - poor or superior it has nothing to do with the waiter one way or the other. Yet servers whine when poor is held against them and act entitled to it when superior quality gets them a bit extra. That is in fact hypocrisy at it's finest.

Uh, gee... serve your meal, sure. "Put up with" your attitude? Above EVERYTHING, your server is a human being and deserves to be treated as you wish to be treated.

How much do YOU earn per pay period? No, I'm not being rude - just pointing out that THIS part of your question is entirely inappropriate (and the poster who responded would be within her/his rights, and possibly well-advised, to edit the response).

Great. Now go back and read the post with the description of what the buffet server does; as far as I'm concerned, that server deserves the same tip rate as the TS server.

Oh. Entitlement? Okay...

Conservation alert: quoting only the statement/s in post 162 to which I am directly responding:
You spoke of not taking things out of context, yet both of your quotes takes my words completely out of context.
Pardon me. I will attempt, in the future, to remember to preface the word 'you' with "the general", where appropriate.

It has been explained, that you must pay full rack rate for a room at a Disney owned hotel to receive "free" dining. Evidently, otherwise you could get a room at a discounted rate....so you are actually "paying" for the DDP. I assume this is the reason the gratuity is now OOP for DDP.

I hope the OP doesn't mind me answering the iced tea question, but I assume they meant the only service they received at H&V was their drinks....and maybe a refill. The worst service I have ever had was at H&V. If the food had been edible, I might have given it another chance.
But it can be a great deal! A few months ago I went on a ten-night trip with my mom that only cost $1,500 for the DDP, the room, and our park tickets. It really only depends on where you stay how good the savings are. We stayed at a value resort, if we had stayed at the GF, it wouldn't of been a good deal.

Conservation alert: quoting only the statement/s in post 162 to which I am directly responding: Pardon me. I will attempt, in the future, to remember to preface the word 'you' with "the general", where appropriate.

Does it take too much of your time to type what you want say? Is that why you pick words (partial quotes) out of posts to respond to? Or....are you intentionally being adversarial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter