• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Looks like the hammer dropped today. The governor is proposing new health plans for state employees starting in the next fiscal year. Naturally, our premiums are increasing, co-pays are increasing, and now we'll have deductibles for the first time ever. So it's basically turning into a private-sector health plan, without the corresponding private sector pay. Sigh.

Sorry to hear that. It's gonn'a take a bit out of your Dis and travel plans.

Sounds like the type of plan changes instituted where I am about fifteen or so years back.
Combined since then with a pay cut, not merit increases, no cost-of-living increases, outright canceling of dental and 0% 401k matching and a complete cancellation of all pension plans and the private sector pay and bennies ain't necessarily better though.

If I could have found a way to make it work I would be living that far south or further. As it is now, I like my colon doctor and am not sure I want to leave KY. :eek: :faint: Can't believe I just wrote that. I may have reached a new phase in life where good medical care is more important than other things.

Access to a good doctor is a good thing.
I can see why you'd make the choice.

Nice where do I sign up?

Pretty sure your already are.
Of course you could also resign and then rejoin if you're in mood for such.

We are comming down in August there'd better not be snow!

I s'pect you won't be havin' to worry too much about that posibility.

Ouch. :headache: Best wishes as you navigate a new normal.

Sounds like the type of plan changes instituted where I am about fifteen or so years back.
Combined since then with a pay cut, not merit increases, no cost-of-living increases, outright canceling of dental and 0% 401k matching and a complete cancellation of all pension plans and the private sector pay and bennies ain't necessarily better though.

Sounds like you're in the same boat. The pension is still there, although I shudder to think about what the next round of cuts will look like. The pension is pretty much the only thing keeping me here.

I keep hearing the economy has fully recovered, but one look at middle-class incomes shows that's not exactly the case.

Looks like the hammer dropped today. The governor is proposing new health plans for state employees starting in the next fiscal year. Naturally, our premiums are increasing, co-pays are increasing, and now we'll have deductibles for the first time ever. So it's basically turning into a private-sector health plan, without the corresponding private sector pay. Sigh.
Sorry. That sucks. Although my experience was that government pay beat private sector pay. And I was stupid enough to leave and get a real job.

So why do you even go to work? I haven't done the math yet, but it almost seems like you'd be money ahead to stay home. :headache:

I keep hearing the economy has fully recovered, but one look at middle-class incomes shows that's not exactly the case.
This. 100 times over. :sad2:

Sounds like you're in the same boat. The pension is still there, although I shudder to think about what the next round of cuts will look like. The pension is pretty much the only thing keeping me here.

I keep hearing the same thing. If you're a big business or toward the top of the heap in the first place, that may be so, but down here at the bottom of the middle and from there on down, it's just not evident. Glad you do still have a pension. May that continue to be the case. That's really become something that mostly the folks in the generation ahead of me got to take advantage of.

Well, hopefully it doesn't get implemented. Sounds pretty crummy.

So when does the convoy pass through KY on the way to CJ's? I'll be ready.
Midnight tonight. Be ready!

Nice where do I sign up?
HERE:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-moms-club.2427787/

Combined since then with a pay cut, not merit increases, no cost-of-living increases, outright canceling of dental and 0% 401k matching and a complete cancellation of all pension plans and the private sector pay and bennies ain't necessarily better though..
Wow. That sounds terrible. It always seems like there is a lot of take and never any give.

Although my experience was that government pay beat private sector pay.

It could be different for different professions, but in my line of work, we're well behind the private sector. The benefits were what made it competitive.

I keep hearing the same thing. If you're a big business or toward the top of the heap in the first place, that may be so, but down here at the bottom of the middle and from there on down, it's just not evident.

If only I had sold some subprime mortgages. Then I'd be in good shape.

Glad you do still have a pension. May that continue to be the case. That's really become something that mostly the folks in the generation ahead of me got to take advantage of.

Yeah, the pension is a huge benefit. And now that I'm halfway to retirement, it's one I would really like to remain in place.

So why do you even go to work? I haven't done the math yet, but it almost seems like you'd be money ahead to stay home. :headache:

I'm down near 30% in real compensation since 2007, but it beats the alternative. My legislature's general opinion on what the down trodden need is that they need to be trod upon farther.

For those of you that haven't seen it. Here is the tag line under the title of our DIS Dads forum:

Dads of the DIS talk about life, bacon, Disney, bacon, kids, bacon, cars, bacon, family life, and lots of other fun stuff! Like Pick on Randall, And beer. And bacon.

Just reposting cause I like a certain part of it

Been watching Burn Notice on Netflix. I'm enjoying the Miami beach and bikini scenes.

I feel your pain. They did that here in KY as well. DW carries insurance on the dds, and I keep taking the lower insurance plan. I think the coverage levels are so bad that if I get hospitalized, they get to keep a kidney and as a partial payment plan.

So when does the convoy pass through KY on the way to CJ's? I'll be ready.

If I could have found a way to make it work I would be living that far south or further. As it is now, I like my colon doctor and am not sure I want to leave KY. :eek: :faint: Can't believe I just wrote that.

I'm ready to go now. I can't believe you said that either.

No raises here either. We still have state retirement system unless they figure out how to declare bankruptcy and raid assets like Detroit did.

True, my income has not increased, but 401K has done well. Hopefully, I can live long enough to use it.

Sorry. That sucks. Although my experience was that government pay beat private sector pay. And I was stupid enough to leave and get a real job.
. :sad2:

Where? Government pay doesn't here. Or, just wrong part of government.

It could be different for different professions, but in my line of work, we're well behind the private sector. The benefits were what made it competitive.

Yeah, the pension is a huge benefit. And now that I'm halfway to retirement, it's one I would really like to remain in place.

That and the leave time. I'm 7 years away. The leave time (holiday, vacation, sick) now amounts to a week off work every other month. I just don't have enough money to do anything during those weeks.

Afternoon gents and sounds like all made it through the latest winter nonsense. Back from a week in Vegas on "business" but was able to come back with some extra spending cash for trip to the land in a week. Trip came up quick and looking forward to managing the old style fast pass process. Have a great weekend all

DD is supposed to fly out tomorrow night for Spring break so I am hoping it clears out by then. Sorry winter is still alive and well for you guys.
Safe travels for her
The wind chill is currently -1°F, there is about two feet of snow outside my office window and I'm listening to Spring Training streaming through my computer speakers. I'm kind of ready for winter to go away now.
Could not agree more. While in Vegas this week saw folks in ski caps and scarfs walking around in the morning :confused3
We had 10 inches of snow here, and most of KY is closed again. There were similar amounts reported around the state. Two feet of snow here might result in someone having visited a horse in a very special way like they do in Wisconsin. :lmao:
Glad you are safe and sound - you guys got thumped up there. We were shut down on Thursday this week only.
Sorry 'bout that, seems this "pushing costs to the workers" is the latest trend.

Morning guys. Sorry to hear about the cutbacks Mark. Overtime I see that amount on my check deducted for insurance, i cringe. I am absolutely positive it is a government sponsored racket. And to think I had relatives who went to jail for racketeering...

Morning Gents.

Headed to the US today to pick up DW and DS. They are returning from their trip to WDW and flying back to Bangor Maine. Between me being away and them heading out for the Break, it has been almost a full month since I have seen them.

Hope you all have a great day.

Morning Gents.

Headed to the US today to pick up DW and DS. They are returning from their trip to WDW and flying back to Bangor Maine. Between me being away and them heading out for the Break, it has been almost a full month since I have seen them.

Glad the family is back together, have fun getting to know each other again!

The Pirate Princess arrived last night after a 45 minute delay at Newark. The kid is getting older. I asked her if she wanted something at the house when she got here and she answered wine and cheese. It was a tough week for her I guess.

Just reposting cause I like a certain part of it

Wonder what part? Doesn't have anything to do with the guy that raises penguins does it?

The Pirate Princess arrived last night after a 45 minute delay at Newark. The kid is getting older. I asked her if she wanted something at the house when she got here and she answered wine and cheese. It was a tough week for her I guess.
?

Or, since you buy it for her, that's why she asks. Glad to hear she made it thru the weather.

Hockey Night here in the man cave tonight. Hope all are enjoying the weekend.
Morning Gents.

Safe travels for you and the family and enjoy being back together again
Glad she made it home safe and they do need a break as these kids do work hard when at school. Right there with ya on the getting older / growing up. Enjoy the week with her home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter