DCL Summer 2017 Megathread - Itineraries are out!

DP and I are looking into planning a family cruise for June 2017 (MIL's 60th birthday). I know WDW planning inside and out, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cruises! I see that right now info is only available for cruises until May 2017--is there a historical trend as to when June will open up?

We're a group of adults (probably 8-10 of us, possibly one infant. Fingers crossed!) living in Western Canada. I know my in-laws really enjoy river cruises in Europe, but the rest of us are not that familiar with cruising. Our general plan right now is what seems most common--fly to MCO, spend a few days in the World before or after a shorter (4 day?) cruise. Do you have any general tips for newbies? I'm looking through some other threads right now, but a bit unsure where to even start :thanks:

Last edited:
DP and I are looking into planning a family cruise for June 2017 (MIL's 60th birthday). I know WDW planning inside and out, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cruises! I see that right now info is only available for cruises until May 2017--is there a historical trend as to when June will open up?

We're a group of adults (probably 8-10 of us, possibly one infant. Fingers crossed!) living in Western Canada. I know my in-laws really enjoy river cruises in Europe, but the rest of us are not that familiar with cruising. Our general plan right now is what seems most common--fly to MCO, spend a few days in the World before or after a shorter (4 day?) cruise. Do you have any general tips for newbies? I'm looking through some other threads right now, but a bit unsure where to even start :thanks:
Historically (last year) the summer itineraries were released about now. We're all waiting.

I went back and checked Facebook and exactly one year ago today (March 20), DCL posted a teaser saying the new itineraries would be released the following week. On March 24th, they released them along with the video highlighting some of them. It has got to be soon. The suspense is killing me.

As for tips, I would just suggest continuing to read through these threads, look through previous personal navigators so you can get an idea of what to expect while on board and don't be shy about asking questions.

I went back and checked Facebook and exactly one year ago today (March 20), DCL posted a teaser saying the new itineraries would be released the following week. On March 24th, they released them along with the video highlighting some of them. It has got to be soon. The suspense is killing me.

As for tips, I would just suggest continuing to read through these threads, look through previous personal navigators so you can get an idea of what to expect while on board and don't be shy about asking questions.

thanks :) cruising is a completely new world to me, and some of the threads on here are really helpful.

Historically (last year) the summer itineraries were released about now. We're all waiting.
I would suggest contacting Tracey Hienricks at Dreams Unlimited [they provide The DISBOARDS] and let her know your plans! She is a wonderful travel agent and can book for you as soon as dates become available! There is never any charge for her services and you get a nice onboard credit! Also she lives in Canada!! Bon Voyage!!!

We just got on the Wonder on Sunday (03-20-2016). We booked a placeholder cruise, and the person making the reservations said the rest of 2017 is due to be released any day now.

Also our dining staff told us the Wonder will getting the major referb in September as well as the Aqua Dunk. He also said the Magic will be going to Alaska, but no word on where the Wonder will be.

We just got on the Wonder on Sunday (03-20-2016). We booked a placeholder cruise, and the person making the reservations said the rest of 2017 is due to be released any day now.

Also our dining staff told us the Wonder will getting the major referb in September as well as the Aqua Dunk. He also said the Magic will be going to Alaska, but no word on where the Wonder will be.

Interesting. Will that be the first time to Alaska for Magic? Does that mean the Magic won't be in Europe in 2017?

funny, our dining staff on the wonder last month told us that the dream or fantasy would be doing the panama canal and going to alaska next year. i'm pretty sure that even with the new locks, the dream/fantasy won't fit through the canal, so we just nodded and said "that's nice" and carried on presuming it would be the wonder. ; ) not that it couldn't be the magic, but i'd just take anything the servers say with a grain of salt.

Interesting. Will that be the first time to Alaska for Magic? Does that mean the Magic won't be in Europe in 2017?
I am not really sure if the Magic has been there or not. That was the only thing that was stated. It was also obvious that the staff on the Wonder don't really like the other ships. One of the comments made was the referb the magic got makes it feel too commercialized, and does not have the "classic" ship feeling. I have never been on the Magic, only the Dream and now Wonder.

funny, our dining staff on the wonder last month told us that the dream or fantasy would be doing the panama canal and going to alaska next year. i'm pretty sure that even with the new locks, the dream/fantasy won't fit through the canal, so we just nodded and said "that's nice" and carried on presuming it would be the wonder. ; ) not that it couldn't be the magic, but i'd just take anything the servers say with a grain of salt.
Makes you wonder if they were just spreading rumors. The Dream and Fantasy will now fit in the Panama Canal, but I think the ships are too big to fit in the narrow areas in Alaska.

The Dream and Fantasy will now fit in the Panama Canal,
"Now"? As in the "old" locks? No, the Dream & Fantasy will not fit. As in the "new" locks? They aren't open for transit yet. And it's sorta unsure when they will be available.

I am not really sure if the Magic has been there or not. That was the only thing that was stated. It was also obvious that the staff on the Wonder don't really like the other ships. One of the comments made was the referb the magic got makes it feel too commercialized, and does not have the "classic" ship feeling. I have never been on the Magic, only the Dream and now Wonder.
I do remember the original rumor before the canal construction was delayed, and the Wonder referb was delayed was that the Wonder was going to get a retractable roof for the purpose of sailing in Alaska. Not sure if there was any truth to that, or if that is still part of a rumored plan.

"Now"? As in the "old" locks? No, the Dream & Fantasy will not fit. As in the "new" locks? They aren't open for transit yet. And it's sorta unsure when they will be available.
Our server said the new locks are done, or will be done by September.

I do remember the original rumor before the canal construction was delayed, and the Wonder referb was delayed was that the Wonder was going to get a retractable roof for the purpose of sailing in Alaska. Not sure if there was any truth to that, or if that is still part of a rumored plan.
I thought the retractable roof thing was shot down as it would interfere with the necessary mechanics for Pirate Night. Yes, I know in Alaska there is no Pirate night, but other cruises during the year on the Wonder do have Pirate night and that would be an issue.

I thought the retractable roof thing was shot down as it would interfere with the necessary mechanics for Pirate Night. Yes, I know in Alaska there is no Pirate night, but other cruises during the year on the Wonder do have Pirate night and that would be an issue.
I do not know the mechanics of it. The retractable roof may have been shot down, I just remember that being a rumor after the Magic came out of refurbishment.

The Magic already appeared on port schedules of Amsterdam and Civitavecchia from May until September 2017. It will definitely sail in Europe the whole summer.

So if we peel back the comments from various crew there just may be a bit of truth in everything. While the Dream/Fantasy may not get into some of the current Alaska ports or "Arms" one may possibly skip across to the west coast and do a couple Hawaii trips. Would be fairly difficult given the need to visit foreign port when leaving and returning to west coast which would make anything less than 10 days difficult.

The comments by crew about the reimagination I personally hope have been discussed internally with heart. I too prefer the classic ships and the Wonder in particular. While there certainly is justification in updating the infrastructure and kids clubs, I hope they don't try to focus on things to make it less DCL. While Carioca's seems to have good reviews, I still prefer Parrot Cay, can't it be ok to leave it on one ship ? Also enjoy the Route 66 theme but understand the goal to make the area "less attractive" to the pre 18 cruisers as they did on Magic.

I have also seen that the crew of he Wonder is extremely proud of their ship and I think they have every reason to be, I love her as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter