Dating question: Is it weird or creepy to ask someone out at a public place like the local gym or grocery store?

I asked because there is more of second guessing now in dating I think due to the movement. Not that what the movement is promoting is a bad thing (most on here would agree with it entirely). But when on a date in today’s world, what was seen as classic genuine romantic gestures (ex. putting an arm around the date’s shoulder when sitting in a movie theater), are going to happen a lot less sporadically due to fear of a law suit.
I'm trying to think of a scenario where putting your arm around someone in a movie theater would get you sued. Assuming you are able to read social queues I think you'll have a reasonable understanding when to try something like putting your arm around someone or going in for a goodnight kiss along with the ability to read a reaction if you overstepped. This was always the case though, if you can't read social queues you'll end up being through of as a creep and won't get second dates.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where putting your arm around someone in a movie theater would get you sued. Assuming you are able to read social queues I think you'll have a reasonable understanding when to try something like putting your arm around someone or going in for a goodnight kiss along with the ability to read a reaction if you overstepped. This was always the case though, if you can't read social queues you'll end up being through of as a creep and won't get second dates.
What I’m trying to say is that things that people used to think were little things not thought of much in the past compared to today. I know my example is a little extreme but it was the first I thought of. I agree with your point though.

If I were currently dating, I'd be concerned about misreading the signs, and the woman deciding a "no" is not enough (even though I listened and obeyed) and deciding to cause problems. Yes, it can happen and did to someone I know.

Yes, I know you (general) are supposed to ask about every step...
Can I hold your hand?
Can I put my hand on the small of your back?
Can I kiss you?
Can I put my hand on your thigh?
Can I put my hand... etc, etc, etc.

I can't picture a bigger mood killer.

There was a scene in Picket Fences (ended in '95?) that showcased that. I think it was Picket Fences, I just rewatched the series a month or so ago. I can't find a clip unfortunately.

I don't know of anyone who goes to this extreme in getting "consent." I think that is a bit excessive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter