Dating question: Is it weird or creepy to ask someone out at a public place like the local gym or grocery store?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Dating question: Is it weird or creepy to ask someone out at a public place like the local gym or grocery store?

No, I wish more men would.

Maybe I should edit this.... it's not weird or creepy to me given the right circumstances, I think a lot of men avoid approaching women because they don't want to initiate a "#MeToo" moment. But the only way for people to meet in real life is for someone to approach and make the first move, not everyone wants to use dating sites.

Last edited:
Are you talking about a stranger you just met? If so, I would at least try some innocuous conversation, perhaps about the type of equipment at the gym or the produce at the grocery, to see if you get the feeling they are open to something more. If the person continues the conversation, it’s a much better sign than if they mutter a word or two in reply and turn away.

Before there were dating apps, many people met new people at the grocery that ended up being a long term partner. Be sincere. Don’t be pushy, do listen to what they are saying, and if the initial answer is no, accept it the first time.

Less creepy than bar.

I’d join some form of club or organization to meet people. Dog rescues are a good place to meet people. Hiking groups too. Lots of people meet at churches. All are better alternatives to online dating and bars.

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean out of the blue. I meant when you sometimes have a random conversation with someone who looks single (not wearing a ring) and seems to be enjoying the friendly small talk. As a poster above said, “dating rules” seem to be changing every year due to movements like the #metoo movement. The last thing I would ever want to do is come across as a weirdo/creep and make them feel uncomfortable. It just feels dating is just becoming more complicated every year, but maybe it’s just how I’m viewing it. :confused3

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean out of the blue. I meant when you sometimes have a random conversation with someone who looks single (not wearing a ring) and seems to be enjoying the friendly small talk. As a poster above said, “dating rules” seem to be changing every year due to movements like the #metoo movement. The last thing I would ever want to do is come across as a weirdo/creep and make them feel uncomfortable. It just feels dating is just becoming more complicated every year, but maybe it’s just how I’m viewing it. :confused3

Under this circumstance, I would say it's okay. You might want to start with "are you seeing anyone right now?" Because no ring on a finger means absolutely nothing. I've been married over 20 years and don't always wear a ring, and yes, I do talk to people in public without my husband present. Doesn't mean I'm available.

If people would just ask out people they meet in person I wouldn't be wasting my time with dating apps.

If you and said person go to the gym at the same time regularly and strike up a gym-buddy friendship, I see no reason to not ask that person out.

Walking up a random woman in the produce aisle and asking her out kind of creepy.

If people would just ask out people they meet in person I wouldn't be wasting my time with dating apps.

If you and said person go to the gym at the same time regularly and strike up a gym-buddy friendship, I see no reason to not ask that person out.

Walking up a random woman in the produce aisle and asking her out kind of creepy.
I didn’t mean out of the blue. I meant after at least a conversation. It just seems people asked out people more at random 10 or 15 years ago then now.

It's a bit weird if you are just walking up to a total stranger and asking for a date, yes. Approach and strike up a conversation. Work for it. Ask for her/his number at the end of the exchange. Go from there.
It makes me feel a little maudlin that this even needs to be explained. I remember a kinder, gentler time not so long ago when actual IRL human interactions like this were pretty much intuitive. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter