D23 Expo September 9-11, 2022 Superthread **Updates in Posts 2 & 3**

Technically, it’s not, unless you have a medical reason or bring a baby. However, people, including myself, have gotten away with bringing a small amount of snack type things. They will usually say something about a meal though, like to go food, pizza, or a sandwich. I brought a snack size ziplock of trail mix last time and maybe a small amount of candy.
I brought snacks in during the 2019 expo as well as a sandwich in a lunch bag without a problem.

I think there will be food trucks as well
In every con I've been to, whether very large or small, I've always been able to bring in small snacks that when judiciously timed serve to keep me sustained during the con day. I also have a substantial breakfast before I go (meaning lots of protein and hydration). I tend to be on the go a-lot during a con, so taking anything longer than 10-20min isn't my "cup of tea." I don't pack a victorian picnic. ;)
That would be me, holding up the line at security because I packed a Victorian picnic. 😆

Okay, some trail mix it is. Maybe a banana will also seem innocent enough. Thanks all

I can tell I'm getting more prepared because my questions are getting really nitty gritty, lol... what size of poster tube are we talking here? I'm guessing the free give away ones are rather small, right?

I can tell I'm getting more prepared because my questions are getting really nitty gritty, lol... what size of poster tube are we talking here? I'm guessing the free give away ones are rather small, right?
Do you have any personal recommendations? I also dont have one yet. I would imagine an expandable one would be useful since you dont know how big the poster would be?

In my experience for a different convention (Star Wars) I find the purchased lanyard are a MUCH better quality and design. I can't speak to D23 though. I like to get the purchased lanyard as a souvenir.

If the bought ones this year are nicer than the ones they give away, then I wouldn't bother with the giveaway ones 😬. The bought ones are some of the cheapest feeling lanyards I've ever gotten (free or paid).

I'm thinking I'm just going to use some of the CM bolo lanyards I have instead of the D23 one I purchased.

Do you have any personal recommendations? I also dont have one yet. I would imagine an expandable one would be useful since you dont know how big the poster would be?
There are the giveaway posters ( from panels in the past) which I believe were not more than 14” wide….. maybe someone who picked one up could confirm. However, you might find larger posters on the showroom floor for sale. Expandable would probably be best. Since I fly to Anaheim and don’t want too many things to keep track of, I’ll want to get one that will fit in my suitcase …. at least for the flight down…

I don't..! I did not even know they sold expandable ones. I was just thinking of a shipping style since I doubt I would need it again in the future (unless of course I really love the expo). I was one-and-done with anime conventions and felt the same about the PacificNW Mouse Meet so we'll see how I like this one. :)

I don't..! I did not even know they sold expandable ones. I was just thinking of a shipping style since I doubt I would need it again in the future (unless of course I really love the expo). I was one-and-done with anime conventions and felt the same about the PacificNW Mouse Meet so we'll see how I like this one. :)
The extendable poster tubes I see on Amazon are either plastic or the hard cardboard. I think they are packable. The plastic ones seem to lock in place, but I am not sure about the cardboard ones.

Something to keep in mind with the Poster Tubes - getting a decent sized diameter one, not super tiny...but in the past some of the posters were thicker card stock paper, so rolling was harder.

Food is officially not OK unless you have a dietary need or a small child, but it really depends on the screener. I've seen people forced to dump sealed water bottles (so stupid). Generally I'm with everyone else, don't flaunt bringing stuff in but be prepared in case they say no. Usually I throw something safe (thanks food allergies AND a new chronic illness since 2019) into a small sandwich box. I'm planning to bring small reusable water bottle and refill as needed.

The "free" lanyards have gotten cheaper and cheaper. I usually bring my own even as a Sorcerer, this time around I'm rocking a Harveys (shocking, I know!) Monsters Inc. one.

The water thing makes me so mad, still. And I didn't have to dump mine.

Tube for posters is a great idea. It'll be so much easier to pack that way. But wish me luck convincing DH to let us roll them up if they're not rolled up to begin with.

Yes. Don't be like me, trying to MacGyver a poster sleeve out of a FedEx box with some kiddie scissors on departure day.

Technically, it’s not, unless you have a medical reason or bring a baby. However, people, including myself, have gotten away with bringing a small amount of snack type things. They will usually say something about a meal though, like to go food, pizza, or a sandwich. I brought a snack size ziplock of trail mix last time and maybe a small amount of candy.

It seems to be luck of the draw with the person you get. I went all prepared to tell them about my medical needs and no one ever questioned me. I brought a bunch of bars, pretzels, etc. so there was nothing big in there.

Something to keep in mind with the Poster Tubes - getting a decent sized diameter one, not super tiny...but in the past some of the posters were thicker card stock paper, so rolling was harder.

Food is officially not OK unless you have a dietary need or a small child, but it really depends on the screener. I've seen people forced to dump sealed water bottles (so stupid). Generally I'm with everyone else, don't flaunt bringing stuff in but be prepared in case they say no. Usually I throw something safe (thanks food allergies AND a new chronic illness since 2019) into a small sandwich box. I'm planning to bring small reusable water bottle and refill as needed.

The "free" lanyards have gotten cheaper and cheaper. I usually bring my own even as a Sorcerer, this time around I'm rocking a Harveys (shocking, I know!) Monsters Inc. one.

The water thing makes me so mad, still. And I didn't have to dump mine.

I can't remember. Are there water bottle filling stations or just water fountains?

Well, glad to know at least the free lanyard isn't the exact same one I paid for that they hand out :) My DD17 who is going with me wanted the lanyards anyway so I guess not that big a deal. But I also agree the paid ones are nothing special.

Last edited:
This will be my first time to the Expo. Thanks for all the great tips! I’m just going for one day and plan on bringing in a mostly empty backpack. Just essentials like empty water bottle, wallet, snacks, etc. I plan to fill my backpack up with free and purchased merch! Is this what most people do? I saw something about a bag check area, but details aren’t out yet. I just want to make sure that we can bring our own bags into the panels. Kind of a silly question, but I’ve never been before, so I just don’t know. And of course we’re all super planners here on the DIS and want to know every little detail!

I can't remember. Are there water bottle filling stations or just water fountains?
Disney had a refillable bottle for sale with the merchandise with the badges - never misses a trick. ;) Mine is nicer and I know it's water tight.
This will be my first time to the Expo. Thanks for all the great tips! I’m just going for one day and plan on bringing in a mostly empty backpack. Just essentials like empty water bottle, wallet, snacks, etc. I plan to fill my backpack up with free and purchased merch! Is this what most people do? I saw something about a bag check area, but details aren’t out yet. I just want to make sure that we can bring our own bags into the panels. Kind of a silly question, but I’ve never been before, so I just don’t know. And of course we’re all super planners here on the DIS and want to know every little detail!
You can bring bags into panels.* :) In the past they also provided a "free" tote when you enter to stash all the giveaways/purchases, but they have also been getting smaller and cheaper in quality. I generally take a roomy tote to carry my stuff and then pack a smaller eco bag to carry purchases/giveaways. They have offered a Bag check in the past, but generally it's for large purchases, if that makes senses.

*There is a size limit in the Things to Know section on the website: Suitcases, bags, coolers, or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24 inches long x 15 inches wide x 18 inches high (61 cm x 38 cm x 46 cm) are not allowed.
https://d23expo.com/things-to-know/

For the movies panel they will give you something to store all your electronic devices in that is sealed once you enter into the hall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter