D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
So I'm curious to hear opinions on a show like Hamilton, which I saw for the first time today. What do you all think about having a POC play a white historical figure, like Thomas Jefferson for example? I know there's been some controversy lately about having white actors voice Black characters in animated shows. I think that's about not giving the Black voice actors equal opportunity (please correct me if I'm wrong on that) but what about the other way around. If the character was fictional, sure, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about a real person, who we know was white, being played by a POC. I think the show was wonderful and the entire cast did a fantastic job. I'm just wondering how that particular issue is viewed, especially by POC.

I am not a POC, so I apologize if I misunderstood and you weren’t asking for a non-POC opinion, but it doesn’t bother me at all to have the founders portrayed by BIPOC. Like you said, we know they were white. I don’t think we need yet another depiction of those white men. I think we do need more depictions (and realities) that challenge the status quo.

The casting of this show specifically was very beautifully and intentionally done. There’s a reason King George is the only white person in the main cast. There are also a lot of lyrics that hit even harder because the actors saying/singing/rapping them aren’t white.

I shared this article before - maybe in this thread, maybe in another - apologies if it was here and I’m repeating myself! I think it’s a great perspective on the casting, though, especially in relation to this moment in history.

“But there’s something else radical about Hamilton, which is that through its casting requirements, it deliberately injects people of color into positions of official and institutional power that have long been defined as the dominion of white men.”

Hamilton proffers an America in which Black and brown people hold an equitable share of power and resources.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/...rned-a-revolution-into-a-revelation-what-now/

Last edited:
So I'm curious to hear opinions on a show like Hamilton, which I saw for the first time today. What do you all think about having a POC play a white historical figure, like Thomas Jefferson for example? I know there's been some controversy lately about having white actors voice Black characters in animated shows. I think that's about not giving the Black voice actors equal opportunity (please correct me if I'm wrong on that) but what about the other way around. If the character was fictional, sure, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about a real person, who we know was white, being played by a POC. I think the show was wonderful and the entire cast did a fantastic job. I'm just wondering how that particular issue is viewed, especially by POC.
Not a POC but I would feel great about that. There just isn't enough representation of minorities or POC in many positions and it's time to fix that. When they cast a POC as Ariel and I heard her sing I was so happy for her - she is amazing! But I really hope she was prepared at such a young age for the onslaught of negativity and controversy (that shouldn't have happened). Honestly whenever any young teen/adult gets battered in the media it hurts my heart. Adults should be lifting up teenagers not dragging them down.

When it's the other way around? Nope, I don't agree. Again, POC are underrepresented as it is. There are tons of great actors out there and it's not that hard to find one.

There’s a reason King George is the only white person in the main cast.
Thanks for sharing that article.

I will admit I didn’t notice that King George was the only white guy. I thought the actress playing Hamilton’s wife was white. I just looked her up and discovered that her father is Asian but I wasn’t aware of that when I was watching the show.

I had been wondering if that was a component of the anger, but it became abundantly clear to me when I saw people referring to the players as “low lifes” and “losers.”
View attachment 506222
Well what a treat this person is. If they don't want to see a low life at the GF maybe they should avoid looking in the mirror when they're there. :).

Thanks for sharing that article.

I will admit I didn’t notice that King George was the only white guy. I thought the actress playing Hamilton’s wife was white. I just looked her up and discovered that her father is Asian but I wasn’t aware of that when I was watching the show.

Ah, yes, Phillipa is half-Chinese. She is phenomenal. Here is a GREAT interview she did recently re: her heritage, the inclusion in Hamilton, and this moment in time.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/philli...iversity-representation-inclusion-1202975124/
The show’s casting is very deliberate - in every production cast, King George is the only main character played by a white person. I think it’s wonderful.

I could chat shows forever 😂😂 so I’ll digress at this point.

Last edited:

There is a big difference from Black Actors portraying a White historical person and lets say White Actors in Blackface. The question here specific to the play “Hamilton”, do most people “get” the inside story within a story here? All of the “Founding Fathers” were White, and a large percent of them were slave owners.
Now in the 21st century , a brilliant play written by a Brown Man, includes a cast of Black and Brown people now that is American advancement.113468A9-5EF1-4EA0-A961-B511F59A45DB.jpeg6F1CF91B-EDCA-4320-83EB-F5A1756887BC.jpeg

This forum should be all to discuss regardless of who they are.
@old lady And your point is exactly? I want to be sure I am respecting your voice, while I understand the point you are making? Just like the DIS LGBT (Lesbian, Gay,Bi Trans) Forum is a dedicated safe space for members of the LGBTQ community and their Allies to discuss everything Disney and beyond from a LGBTQ & LGBTQ allies point of view. As there is no requirement, nor am I asking for a required purity test, this thread was created for Disney Fans Of Color and our Allies (of Many Colors) & orientations.
We only ask all visitors to be respectful, be kind and be loving.

Ok, since I had first brought it up and asked for support guess I should share my thoughts ...

Just finished watching Hamilton and honestly wasn't crazy about it. I did listen to the soundtrack a few times beforehand and watched it with subtitles but just didn't really enjoy it. I found every character ce off as a jerk, making fun of other needlessly. The humor fell completely flat. Just nothing drew in and made me care about the individuals

I recognize the talent involved (Renée Elise Goldsberry was amazing) and the significance of it as a work and for presenting diversity, but overall, I guess, not for me

Ok, since I had first brought it up and asked for support guess I should share my thoughts ...

Just finished watching Hamilton and honestly wasn't crazy about it. I did listen to the soundtrack a few times beforehand and watched it with subtitles but just didn't really enjoy it. I found every character ce off as a jerk, making fun of other needlessly. The humor fell completely flat. Just nothing drew in and made me care about the individuals

I recognize the talent involved (Renée Elise Goldsberry was amazing) and the significance of it as a work and for presenting diversity, but overall, I guess, not for me

The founding fathers WERE jerks, though.

I appreciate you giving it a chance!

Agreed with @SaintsManiac - they definitely were jerks. In my opinion, the show tries to challenge what we know and have been taught. It makes an effort to drive home that these people who get put on a pedestal because they founded the country were actually really, really flawed people (to put it nicely) that aren’t really as great as they’re made out to be. I think that gets lost in a lot of history classes.

This isn’t a Hamilton thread so I don’t want to get too into the topic 😂 but I do genuinely appreciate you giving the show a chance!

Last edited:
Hi there @RapunzelIsMyHomeGirl ,
All of the ethnicitIes you listed in your post (Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander) have traditionally been identified as Black & Brown people.
Dating back to the European slavery and colonization era, White Caucasians used the denigrating color labels; Yellow men for Asians, Redmen for Native/ First Nation People to further separate people. Remember, "Race" is a man-made construct.

The link below provides academic insight into this idea we call race.

The Event is a social experiment about race.

In Peace, Love & Light,
Cheers

Last edited:

@TheMaxRebo ,
Thank you for sharing an honest review of Hamilton.
We need more suggestions for our Movie Club. Please feel free to post a list and we can all expand our list movies to see. And we will put Mr Alexander Hamilton back on a shelf 😆

I'm a person of color....I know? lol. <3
Hi @RapunzelIsMyHomeGirl ,
Thank you for your original post. This is an amazing time we are living to see people around the world having discussions about race, and color. We fans of Disney now get to have our experiences (good and the bad) and our hopes for continued enjoyment ithat will hopefully be even more diverse and inclusive.
I expanded on shared info from your post to expand on the learning opportunity for everyone including many of our new allies.
[some may not know Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander) have traditionally been identified as Black & Brown people. ]

Peace, Love & Light

My take on the casting for Hamilton, for what it’s worth, is that the teaching of our country’s history has often excluded the contributions of, or atrocities committed against, POC. So it was a switch to have POC portray and tell the story of the county’s founders. One of my kids, who loves theatre and performing in the school plays and musicals, lamented that he’d never play on of the main parts. I said now he knew what it was like for non-white actors. Plus, he could always be George III or that Samuel Seabury dude.

I think the voting choices are limited and biased. It makes it sound like “are you for us or against us”.
A bit divisive IMHO.

ETA: It seems a like a divisive tone for the forum in general.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter