Current Youth Activities CM -- Ask me anything!

There are now little lifejackets at the pools for her to use.

CMontheseas, I am sorry if this has been asked previously, but I am curious and don't remember and it's different this cruise for us now that my kids are older.....

Can my children, who will have sign out ability, stay at the clubs the first night after 7pm while we go to Palo that night? I know that during the open house on the first night they typically could not be there without parents when they were younger, but it seems like later inthe evening starts regular programming and it may be different because they have more autonomy now as they are older.

I've never tried to do Palo the first night, but this seems perfect this cruise, barring the inability to have the clubs available for them to go to.

There are now little lifejackets at the pools for her to use.

CMontheseas, I am sorry if this has been asked previously, but I am curious and don't remember and it's different this cruise for us now that my kids are older.....

Can my children, who will have sign out ability, stay at the clubs the first night after 7pm while we go to Palo that night? I know that during the open house on the first night they typically could not be there without parents when they were younger, but it seems like later inthe evening starts regular programming and it may be different because they have more autonomy now as they are older.

I've never tried to do Palo the first night, but this seems perfect this cruise, barring the inability to have the clubs available for them to go to.

Absolutely!

As soon as a child has Self-Check privileges they're free to stay in the spaces, even unattended during Open House!

This is my first ever cruise (myself, wife, brother and two sons 8&10). Jan27-31 2014 on the magic. Any way to get a picture with the captain of the magic? Maybe even on the Bridge?

This is my first ever cruise (myself, wife, brother and two sons 8&10). Jan27-31 2014 on the magic. Any way to get a picture with the captain of the magic? Maybe even on the Bridge?

Plenty of opportunities to meet and get pictures with the Captain, just not on the bridge. It is off limits to the public.

Officers are generally available in the Atrium most nights, especially formal night

Thanks for all the information - I am curious though - since you are going to back on board shortly;

1. what are you going to miss the most about being on land?
2. what are you looking forward to the most about being back on the ship?

Also
3. My daughter is 12 currently and wants to experience the Club and Lab before she ages out - she is a physically mature 12 and I am wondering if there are policies in place incase she gets her period while in the club (she would have self check out privlidges) and I am just wondering if this has happened before and how it is handles especially if it were somewhere like castaway cay?

Thanks

As soon as a child has Self-Check privileges they're free to stay in the spaces, even unattended during Open House!

Seriously???? AUGH why didn't they just say THAT to me?

CM you're super-nice and all, and I'm sure you never behave in the ways some of the club/lab CMs have behaved on the Dream, but wow their communication skills on the Dream at least at many of the times we've dropped off or picked up, even with no line behind us, are really lacking. Even down to where the line is, or where we're supposed to go at any given hour to drop off or pick up (I would suggest some nice movable signs for the Dream), rather than having to stand in the wrong line, only to get the blank look and a robotic voice telling me where to go in a way that suggests I'm not too bright to not know that, even when the day before I did the same thing in the spot where I am today.

Augh.

I could have added self-checkout for DS so he could have stayed during Open House that one day...... But they didn't say anything.

Seriously???? AUGH why didn't they just say THAT to me?

CM you're super-nice and all, and I'm sure you never behave in the ways some of the club/lab CMs have behaved on the Dream, but wow their communication skills on the Dream at least at many of the times we've dropped off or picked up, even with no line behind us, are really lacking. Even down to where the line is, or where we're supposed to go at any given hour to drop off or pick up (I would suggest some nice movable signs for the Dream), rather than having to stand in the wrong line, only to get the blank look and a robotic voice telling me where to go in a way that suggests I'm not too bright to not know that, even when the day before I did the same thing in the spot where I am today.

Augh.

I could have added self-checkout for DS so he could have stayed during Open House that one day...... But they didn't say anything.

:faint: Yeah sorry about that! (not surprised this happened on the Dream, though)

Like I said somewhere before in their thread, I really wish we were even allowed to have signs. But again....management, shoreside approval, it's a real ....challenge to put it Disney nicely.

And you're right- whoever was up there should've been able to tell you that plenty of parents feel comfortable giving their child (if eligible) Self-Check privileges in order to stay in a space during Open House time, fully knowing they'll be asked to leave once it finishes. :)

Thanks for all the information - I am curious though - since you are going to back on board shortly;

1. what are you going to miss the most about being on land?
2. what are you looking forward to the most about being back on the ship?

Also
3. My daughter is 12 currently and wants to experience the Club and Lab before she ages out - she is a physically mature 12 and I am wondering if there are policies in place incase she gets her period while in the club (she would have self check out privlidges) and I am just wondering if this has happened before and how it is handles especially if it were somewhere like castaway cay?

Thanks

Hello! I'm glad for the insightful questions, I'll do my best:

1. I'm going to miss being able to eat whenever I want, and whatever I want. I'll miss cooking. Being able to walk outside. Yknow those 11pm hunger pangs? At home I could head to the fridge and find some grapes. Or random ice cream treats during the middle of the day. With no food allowed in our cabins or our fridges....you end up learning to have to starve overnight. You do get much skinnier quickly though! :thumbsup2

I'm going to miss waking up when I want to, and having the freedom to wear my hair down, or frown when I really feel like frowning. I'm going to miss having alone time the most.

2. What I look forward to? Socialization, having something to do. You never realise how complacent you can be until you come home after an extended time working on board. Every day on land seems to pass by so quickly....filled with nothing! Glorious nothing! (But also boring nothing). I also look forward to not having to think about driving, or taking a bus, or planning my meals, or making my bed or doing menial household tasks.

3. Oh this certainly has happened! Many young girls have matured so rapidly and what tends to happen is that they approach one of us CMs and we ask them what they want us to do. We normally call her grownups or message them to give them a heads up, and since we've all been there we know it can be scary and unexpected and embarrassing, so we talk her through it and don't bring any unnecessary extra attention to her.

What tends to happen is two of us hang out with her in the restroom, or if available- take her to the family restroom and await her grownups arrival.

On Castaway the procedure wouldn't be any different :). Except it might be harder for us to reach you; I know we don't stock any feminine hygiene products with us on the island for emergencies however!

Yes. Anyone 8 years old and over may be given Self-Check privileges. :)

Sorry, but I think she is saying her DD will be 2 weeks shy of 8 (so 7 years, 11 months and 2-3 weeks - ALMOST 8), kind of like my DS who will be 1 week shy of 8 when we cruise we - can they be given self checkout or is it a hard and fast 8 and older (in my case I would only allow DS to self check out if his older sister age 11 was there to meet him and take him to meet us). We curise Nov 30-Dec 7, and DS turns 8 December 15.

Also I get so many mixed stories on whether at age 11 for my DD whether they let kids go to both Edge and Lab/Club - from you I think I read she should be able to go to both, but elsewhere I hear they make you pick on the first day and you are pretty much stuck with that choice? :confused3

Sorry, but I think she is saying her DD will be 2 weeks shy of 8 (so 7 years, 11 months and 2-3 weeks - ALMOST 8), kind of like my DS who will be 1 week shy of 8 when we cruise we - can they be given self checkout or is it a hard and fast 8 and older (in my case I would only allow DS to self check out if his older sister age 11 was there to meet him and take him to meet us). We curise Nov 30-Dec 7, and DS turns 8 December 15.

Also I get so many mixed stories on whether at age 11 for my DD whether they let kids go to both Edge and Lab/Club - from you I think I read she should be able to go to both, but elsewhere I hear they make you pick on the first day and you are pretty much stuck with that choice? :confused3

Good question - some seasoned cruisers might remember something we used to have which was a "sign-out authorization slip" which used to provide an exception for 7- nearly 8 year olds. For whatever reason, a decision was made to remove them (and now the computers won't actually allow a Mickey band for anyone under 8 the ability to check themselves out). Technically speaking, the only ones with the power to override that would be a manager!

So I'd recommend to pleased your case very strongly if this is something you want, but be prepared for them to say no depending on how hard the policy is currently being enforced on that ship! On the other hand, a manager might let it slide, it's up to their discretion!

----

I'd love to know where 11 year olds are being made to choose between Edge and the younger spaces! (If that originated on one of the ships, that would be very useful to find out. I think it would be a really inconsiderate CM/manager who would make them have to choose on the first day!)

Instead, from my experience working in the Club/Lab and Edge, we've always let them come and go freely. As long as they had both their Edge wristband and Oceaneer/Mickey bands on, they could go to whichever they wanted. :thumbsup2

2. What I look forward to? Socialization, having something to do. You never realise how complacent you can be until you come home after an extended time working on board. Every day on land seems to pass by so quickly....filled with nothing! Glorious nothing! (But also boring nothing). I also look forward to not having to think about driving, or taking a bus, or planning my meals, or making my bed or doing menial household tasks.

I thought you had cabin inspections. Don't you have to make your bed?

Hi, and thanks for answering everyone! I was just wondering if you'll be on the Fantasy for the late April sailings (26th I think)? We'll be celebrating our anniversary onboard, and our three sons will be with us. It would be fun for them to think that I had "been talking" to one of the counselors they were going to meet. I don't think they'd be bold enough to shout "Friendship Rocks" for me though, to get your attention... ;)

BTW, we usually put them in the same shirts to make them easier to spot, etc., and their initials are M, J and A. They can't wait to see the kids areas on a bigger ship! We've been on both the Magic and the Wonder, and they've loved them both.

Thanks!

Absolutely!

I think I need more clarification. I thought I had read earlier in this thread that during Open House times, there would be a contained place that kids without adults with them could be. Did I not read that right? Now I am concerned that I may have reserved Palos and Couples Massages during a time when the kids spaces may have Open House. If I have a 7 year old, does that mean there will be no safe place for her to be when my husband and I have adult only plans???

Thank-you so much, dear CM, for taking the time to answer all of our questions! I have been reading this thread for the last month, and I saw the updated info in the first post, but my question is from a slightly different perspective than what's posted there. The next time we cruise, my son will have just turned 14 (2 weeks before), but will still be in middle school. I saw on the DCL website that the ages for Edge are 11-14, and the ages for Vibe are 14-17, so it appears as though a 14-year-old could choose to go to either area. Is this correct, and do they have to stick with whichever one they first choose? Are they able to go back and forth between the two areas? I'm not sure that I would want my 8th grader hanging around with high school juniors and seniors, however my son is pretty mature so he may balk at the idea of hanging out with 11 and 12 year olds. :confused3

...I'd love to know where 11 year olds are being made to choose between Edge and the younger spaces! (If that originated on one of the ships, that would be very useful to find out. I think it would be a really inconsiderate CM/manager who would make them have to choose on the first day!)

This use to be the policy onboard in 2010-early 2012.

I thought you had cabin inspections. Don't you have to make your bed?

Nope, we have housekeeping as part of our petty Officer privileges. They make our beds for us even though I don't think they necessarily have to (I've known them to skip not-so-nice CM cabins)!

And even if we don't make our bed, it would take an incredibly insufferable officer to make anyone fail cabin inspection for their sheets! Instead, what they're looking for in our cabin inspections are contraband, liquor, traces of smoking in the cabin (zero tolerance), fruits or vegetables or fruit, any dairy products, dirty carpets, and...oddly enough....stickers! Yep, a glow-in-the-dark star sticker can get us the same amount of discipline as a bottle of rum!

I think I need more clarification. I thought I had read earlier in this thread that during Open House times, there would be a contained place that kids without adults with them could be. Did I not read that right? Now I am concerned that I may have reserved Palos and Couples Massages during a time when the kids spaces may have Open House. If I have a 7 year old, does that mean there will be no safe place for her to be when my husband and I have adult only plans???

Not to fret! Like I said earlier in the thread, there will always be a space with secure programming to check the kids in, even while another space is in Open House. (I don't think I said anything to the contrary? :))

This use to be the policy onboard in 2010-early 2012.

Oh very interesting! It must've been in the process of getting phased out when I joined that Winter!

Hi, and thanks for answering everyone! I was just wondering if you'll be on the Fantasy for the late April sailings (26th I think)? We'll be celebrating our anniversary onboard, and our three sons will be with us. It would be fun for them to think that I had "been talking" to one of the counselors they were going to meet. I don't think they'd be bold enough to shout "Friendship Rocks" for me though, to get your attention... ;)

BTW, we usually put them in the same shirts to make them easier to spot, etc., and their initials are M, J and A. They can't wait to see the kids areas on a bigger ship! We've been on both the Magic and the Wonder, and they've loved them both.

Thanks!

I'll be there! :goodvibes

Thank-you so much, dear CM, for taking the time to answer all of our questions! I have been reading this thread for the last month, and I saw the updated info in the first post, but my question is from a slightly different perspective than what's posted there. The next time we cruise, my son will have just turned 14 (2 weeks before), but will still be in middle school. I saw on the DCL website that the ages for Edge are 11-14, and the ages for Vibe are 14-17, so it appears as though a 14-year-old could choose to go to either area. Is this correct, and do they have to stick with whichever one they first choose? Are they able to go back and forth between the two areas? I'm not sure that I would want my 8th grader hanging around with high school juniors and seniors, however my son is pretty mature so he may balk at the idea of hanging out with 11 and 12 year olds. :confused3

It's the same idea as the 11 year old having access to both Edge and the Oceaneer spaces simultaneously. During my time as an Edge counselor and 2-month stint in Vibe, our 14-year olds in "age group limbo" were free to participate in both, whenever they pleased. :)

Hi! My DD will be 4 1/2 years old on our next cruise. She felt a little overwhelmed the one day we left in the club at 3. My question is if she goes to a CM and asks for her parents will they call or message us that she is wanting to be picked up? I am hoping she will enjoy the club more on her own this next cruise, but if not I want to make sure she has an easy way to let us know to come and get her.

Plenty of opportunities to meet and get pictures with the Captain, just not on the bridge. It is off limits to the public.

Officers are generally available in the Atrium most nights, especially formal night

Cool Thanks, We are in state room 8008, heard we can sometimes catch a glimpse of the officers on the outside of the bridge from our veranda when the ship is docking.... kind of figured about pictures on the bridge (security).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter