Critique my MK Touring Plan

Serenebean

Mouseketeer
Hi all - I'd appreciate some insight. I am helping my co-worker who planned an impromptu trip to Disney. There are some things I wouldn't necessarily do myself, but I'm trying to fit this into what she already planned (Pirate's League and dinner...going to MK on Sunday...etc). They are two adults and two kids, 5 and 4 staying at Poly

1/22 (Sunday) MK Opens at 9am
8:30am - Arrive
8:55am - Welcome Show in front of Castle
9:15am - Pirates of the Caribbean
9:50am - Pirate's League (assume this will take 60 minutes)
11am - FP+ for mom and son at BTMRR (10:40am-11:40am) Dad/Daughter will wait (Dad does not want to ride, but will still get a rider swap just in case)
11:20am - FP+ for mom and son at Splash (11am-12pm) Dad/Daughter will wait (Dad does not want to ride, but will still get a rider swap just in case) One set of these FP is made in mom/son name and the other in dad/daughter, will swap magic bands
12 - lunch at CHH
12:55 - FP (all) IASW (12:55pm-1:55pm)
Walk around/Carousel
2:15 - FP (all) Under the Sea/Little Mermaid (At this point all FPs will be used and I have advised to attempt to start getting 4th, 5th, etc)
2:30 - 3:30 - Continue to explore Fantasyland and the Circus area, hopefully able to get a 4th and/or 5th FP for Dumbo or Barnstormer
3:30-4:50 - head over to Tomorrowland - try for an additional FP for Buzz, do Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
4:50 - Leave MK and head to Contemporary for Cali Grill reservation at 5:20pm
7:30 - finish up dinner/head back to MK (I have asked her about this and she is adamant the kids don't need rest)
7:45-8:45 - explore, get spot for Wishes
9pm - Wishes
10pm - Park Close

Is this realistic? What is 4th FP availability for Dumbo/Barnstormer like? I am fairly confident they won't have an issue getting a Buzz FP later on as I have been able to do so myself.

As a side note, they will also be in MK the night before and have a FP for Peter Pan on that night. I usually wouldn't use a FP on IASW, but because Pirate League is during prime touring times, I'm kind of at a loss on how to best plan. I figured maybe getting them out of the way early will give them the best chance to score some additional ones. I also have them set as going around the park in a clockwise manner and trying not to have them double back.

Seems pretty tight in some spots considering walking from one area to another. I got a little exhausted reading it... and I think a 4 & 5 year old may get worn out too... but you know your kids better than me. Try to relax during those down times if you can.

What is 4th FP availability for Dumbo/Barnstormer like?

Very easy.

I'd suggest starting with BTMRR before Pirates and save those FP+ for something else. They should have plenty of time to start with Splash, then move to BTMRR and on to Pirates before any significant standby wait times and be ready for Pirates League at 9:50 am.

Seems pretty tight in some spots considering walking from one area to another. I got a little exhausted reading it... and I think a 4 & 5 year old may get worn out too... but you know your kids better than me. Try to relax during those down times if you can.

Thanks! They are my co-workers kids - I asked her if they would make it without stopping as she didnt have that in her plan. At least I convinced her to get a stroller....she was going to go without one!

Very easy.

I'd suggest starting with BTMRR before Pirates and save those FP+ for something else. They should have plenty of time to start with Splash, then move to BTMRR and on to Pirates before any significant standby wait times and be ready for Pirates League at 9:50 am.

Thanks for the feedback! I was a little nervous to suggest that, but I feel better having support!

From a timing standpoint and being fairly conservative I think it should work

Splash Mnt - 9-9:20
BTMRR - 9:25 - 9:35
Pirates - 9:40 - 9:50

I think the plan looks very doable. The only question I would have is the ability of kids that age to stay awake that late. The good thing is, you have a nice long meal to rest up after the day in the park, so that will help for sure and I suppose if they are totally bagged, you can bail after dinner. I would also not want to the night before to be too late of one because you're talking about a rope drop start and I'm assuming breakfast before that, so it's going to be a very early morning.

I would also suggest when going for extra fast passes NOT to get one for Dumbo. The kids would be able to run free in their playground area until it's their turn to ride. Use the fast pass instead on a ride where they will be waiting in line.

I think the plan looks very doable. The only question I would have is the ability of kids that age to stay awake that late. The good thing is, you have a nice long meal to rest up after the day in the park, so that will help for sure and I suppose if they are totally bagged, you can bail after dinner. I would also not want to the night before to be too late of one because you're talking about a rope drop start and I'm assuming breakfast before that, so it's going to be a very early morning.

I totally agree - I'm trying not to be too overbearing in my recommendations to her as I can be a bit pushy if I'm not paying attention to myself. I did ask her today what time they go to bed here and she said 10pm (I know...crazy). She came to me with her park days and FP already planned, although I have totally moved her FPs for this MK day. They arrive on Saturday and are eating at 1900 PF at 4pm that day then really wanted to go to the parks that night. I assume they will just head back when the kids conk out especially since Wishes is at 10pm that night. She already had her PP FP+ for that night and then I had her make an Enchanted Tales with Belle FP for that night because I suggested they try to see it. For Sunday I mentioned they can stop along Main Street and grab some pastries at Starbucks, so no formal breakfast (they will have an earlyish lunch due to early dinner). Perhaps I will suggest to her that they skip Saturday night in MK and use their extra day of ticket on Wednesday when they leave since their flight is at 6pm. They should be able to get a good amount of hours in the park that day before leaving. They also REALLY want to sign up her son for Jedi training on Monday, so I already told her she needs to be at DHS no later than 8:15am and even suggesting Ubering over to save some time.

I would also suggest when going for extra fast passes NOT to get one for Dumbo. The kids would be able to run free in their playground area until it's their turn to ride. Use the fast pass instead on a ride where they will be waiting in line.

Thanks! I didn't know about that since we don't have kids! How does this work?

You mentioned this is for a co-worker? I would advise them to "scout out" what looks interesting to them that first night they are there. Also, since it is evening time, maybe recommend a couple of headliners to "try out" when the wait times are lower in the evening. Everything on there seems doable, but make sure they know for kids: downtime is KEY. Use those breaks and times between rides/FP+'s to grab a snack, sit in the A/C and just take in the sights. With that long of a day and no "nap time" the kids may be a bit grumpy. Maybe recommend a dark ride like Presidents or CoP to take a dark nap in?

From a timing standpoint and being fairly conservative I think it should work

Also, this ^^^

Thanks! I didn't know about that since we don't have kids! How does this work?
When getting in line for Dumbo, there is an inside playground area (circus theme), you will get a buzzer, when it is your turn to ride, the beeper will go off. You then get in line to wait about 2 ride cycles. There are comfy benches for the parents too.

Depending on crowd levels there may be a little of a wait to get into the play area also. But the kids love the free time once inside.

You mentioned this is for a co-worker? I would advise them to "scout out" what looks interesting to them that first night they are there. Also, since it is evening time, maybe recommend a couple of headliners to "try out" when the wait times are lower in the evening. Everything on there seems doable, but make sure they know for kids: downtime is KEY. Use those breaks and times between rides/FP+'s to grab a snack, sit in the A/C and just take in the sights. With that long of a day and no "nap time" the kids may be a bit grumpy. Maybe recommend a dark ride like Presidents or CoP to take a dark nap in?

Also, this ^^^

Good call! She does have some FP for Space and Splash on Saturday night, but I think it will be too cold for Splash that night and I think she will find the kids won't last. Ill point her towards COP and Hall of Presidents in case the kids need a nap! I love COP myself, but she didn't express an interest in it. I'm also a huge fan of Peoplemover for breaks! I'll give them to her as some helpful tips 8o) I will definitely amend her morning schedule to the BTMRR/Splash/Pirates scenario and have her change her FPs to something else

I think experienced adults and older kids could pull this off but a casual family with 4- and 5- year old need something more relaxed and fun for the little guys. Their day started with watching the opening show... you won't do that, then get to Splash Mountain and be off the ride by 9:20. It's a 15 min walk just to get to the Frontierland area. And they'll be with stroller...

For a 4- and 5- year old the plan above is missing some critical components. Inevitable bathroom stop during the morning rush and stroller parking. I would walk slow and fun down Adventureland, hitting up the Tiki Room, Aladdin's Carpets, and Pirates before the 9:50 Pirate makeover. You'll get these with 0-wait at this time.

Then head out and look for the Pirate Tutorial show. Find out exactly when it starts on the WDW site.

Then keep the Fast Passes you have, which line up nicely for BTMRR and Splash Mountain for the time just after the Tutorial.

Then I'd work my way back toward Fantasyland, stopping at the Haunted Mansion before or after lunch at CHH depending on time and hunger.

Then carry on to IASW, Mine Train (where is this in any plan? Should def be in here, FP+ if possible!) then head down toward Buzz and out. Or over to Mermaid/Dumbo. But by this point they'll be improvising and the plan won't matter much.

Really I like it the way you had it better than any of the changes so far. Especially w little kids, the idea of the one loop around is the way to go.

Last edited:
I think experienced adults and older kids could pull this off but a casual family with 4- and 5- year old need something more relaxed and fun for the little guys. Their day started with watching the opening show... you won't do that, then get to Splash Mountain and be off the ride by 9:20. It's a 15 min walk just to get to the Critter Country area. And they'll be with stroller...

I think the stroller actually speeds things up to be honest and the walk from the castle front to Splash is only about 1/4 mile and shouldn't take 15 minutes (maybe 5 and thats walking really leisurely).

Untitled.jpg

Tiki Room, Aladdin's Carpets, and Pirates before the 9:50 Pirate makeover. You'll get these with 0-wait at this time

You can get on those with little or not wait times much later in the day which can't be said for Splash/Thunder. Even if you only did Splash or Thunder (before Pirates League), it saves a FP+ for something else later in the day. There is no question you can get at least one of them before doing Pirates. if time permits and things went smoothly, then do both. Splash would definitely take longer than Thunder so I would knock that out first thing then see what time it is.

I think the stroller actually speeds things up to be honest and the walk from the castle front to Splash is only about 1/4 mile and shouldn't take 15 minutes (maybe 5 and thats walking really leisurely).

Still what you're suggesting is a big-ride-optimizing tour. I've been in the "with little kids" age for most of our trips. It's doable, but it would involve like I said, having a diligent family intent on heading expeditiously there. That does not say "family with young kids at Disney World" to me. You're pegging getting to Splash, parking stroller, on the ride, off by 9:20 after watching the opening show when the ride itself is 11 minutes w/o loading and presuming they open it right at 9am, and then getting onto and off BTMRR in 10 min. You can get on BTMRR first with no wait, but by 9:20 it will not be a walk-on. Considering the age of the kids, I prefer more kid-friendly things.

I would use Fast Passes for Splash and BTMRR, especially given the 2-for-1 plan of splitting them how the OP had arranged.
You can get on those with little or not wait times much later in the day which can't be said for Splash/Thunder. Even if you only did Splash or Thunder (before Pirates League), it saves a FP+ for something else later in the day. There is no question you can get at least one of them before doing Pirates. if time permits and things went smoothly, then do both. Splash would definitely take longer than Thunder so I would knock that out first thing then see what time it is.

Right, but along the lines of not doubling back, you're not going to do Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, and still double back to hit up Adventureland again later in the day. If this family was a "maximize-the-big-rides" type then your plan is good, but the little things like taking your time, stopping for pictures or to look at the little stuff is more important at this age than being first to BTMRR.

Also have to keep in mind when planning for others, they're probably not going to stick to a plan like you would. I think it's good to make them a little less intense with a lot more flexibility for the inevitable being behind "schedule".

Just my 2c.

Last edited:
I think experienced adults and older kids could pull this off but a casual family with 4- and 5- year old need something more relaxed and fun for the little guys. Their day started with watching the opening show... you won't do that, then get to Splash Mountain and be off the ride by 9:20. It's a 15 min walk just to get to the Frontierland area. And they'll be with stroller...

For a 4- and 5- year old the plan above is missing some critical components. Inevitable bathroom stop during the morning rush and stroller parking. I would walk slow and fun down Adventureland, hitting up the Tiki Room, Aladdin's Carpets, and Pirates before the 9:50 Pirate makeover. You'll get these with 0-wait at this time.

Then head out and look for the Pirate Tutorial show. Find out exactly when it starts on the WDW site.

Then keep the Fast Passes you have, which line up nicely for BTMRR and Splash Mountain for the time just after the Tutorial.

Then I'd work my way back toward Fantasyland, stopping at the Haunted Mansion before or after lunch at CHH depending on time and hunger.

Then carry on to IASW, Mine Train (where is this in any plan? Should def be in here, FP+ if possible!) then head down toward Buzz and out. Or over to Mermaid/Dumbo. But by this point they'll be improvising and the plan won't matter much.

Really I like it the way you had it better than any of the changes so far. Especially w little kids, the idea of the one loop around is the way to go.

Thanks for the input! I'll go over the plan with my friend and see what she prefers. Ultimately its her trip! I mentioned HM to her today, but she thinks the kids wouldnt like it. I didn't really go into any detail on what it is like to try to convince her otherwise. Since they decided to go so late in the game <30 days out, all FP were taken for SDMT. I'll tell her to try to get on at night before closing if the kids last. We talked about it and ultimately they won't be let down if they cant get on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter