Craziest table mates you have had.

I want to address this topic, because on my solo cruise, I was at an 8 top with all adults. One lovely Canadian couple, and 5 other adults, 3 of whom were a mother and adult daughters, a guy who was a family friend, and another gal family friend. The party of 5 were of the "hand holding" variety of people saying grace. And when they all held hands, I was uncomfortable holding hands with these strangers while they said grace. However, the Canadians and I were quite polite about it and held hands with them.

I don't say grace before a meal, but I would have been far more comfortable if they did it privately, heads bowed and no hand holding. These people ended up being a problem for our Assistant Server. They accused her of doing something on purpose which looked like a complete accident from where I was sitting. They accused her of having a snotty attitude when she apologized for the accidental bump. They were so awful that they were complaining about her to the Head Server.

I managed to pull the Head Server aside and told him that I witnessed the incident and felt the other guests were being completely unfair and not to hold it again the Assistant Server. I had a feeling that they were not going to tip her at all, and I felt badly. I gave her extra out of compassion for what happened. When the group didn't show up for breakfast the final day, I took the time to tell her that I was sorry that they were being rude and unfair to her. I assured her that I knew they were the problem, not her.

A few months later, I was on a different cruise with friends, and I bumped into the Assistant Server outside of Cabanas. She recognized me from the other ship, as she was handing me a wet wipe. She seemed as happy to see me again as I was to see her. :goodvibes She wasn't part of my serving team, but I would have been happy if she was.

WOW, nice hypocritical behavior -- make a big deal in public (and with strangers) about thanking God for your meal, and then in the same breath turn on a server for an honest mistake and try to get her in trouble! Those kind of people drive me crazy -- they don't carry forward the "good nature" they purport to have with God. :confused3

this thread is devolving into a discussion of religious practices, behavior, beliefs........

it won't be long before it is closed down

Right??!! I wondered about that part too! They said in the comments that they would leave them in the room when they went to breakfast..so I'm hoping they REALLY didn't take them to the nursery. She had more packed for those "babies" than I pack!! I watched some of part 2 and she was giving them a "bath" one at a time in the sink and put powder on their bottoms before she put the diaper on. Seriously does NOT sound healthy.

Odd... I wonder if purchased tickets for them?

Just went on the Dream last week. It was our first Disney cruise. We were expecting to be seated with another group since there are only 3 of us. The other family there was totally not expecting to share a table with anyone. They were livid when we were brought to the table. It was a table with 8 spaces and they were spread out so there was an empty seat between each of them (they were a family of 4). They didn't move over so we could sit together. My DD (7) sat next to their teenage son who glared at her. I had her get up until the staff could figure out what to do to accommodate this family as they were making a scene. The family left in a huff and the tables around us asked us what the problem was. It was slightly embarrassing to have a group of people so upset to sit with you but we realize it was them not us. Eventually, the father came back in the middle of the meal to apologize to us which was nice but at that point, we were trying to forget the whole ordeal. The rest of the cruise, we ate at our own 4-top table and it was quite nice. We never saw that family again. No idea if they made new arrangements or skipped the rotational dining all together.

Wow!!! I am so very sorry. This is primarily why we do not sit with others. DH is reserved and more than a little shy. I am NOT! However, we sit alone with our kids for his sake and to avoid exactly the kind if crap that happened to you...

Just went on the Dream last week. It was our first Disney cruise.

We were expecting to be seated with another group since there are only 3 of us. The other family there was totally not expecting to share a table with anyone. They were livid when we were brought to the table.

The rest of the cruise, we ate at our own 4-top table and it was quite nice. We never saw that family again. No idea if they made new arrangements or skipped the rotational dining all together.

Did this family not realize that small groups of cruise passengers usually share a table? Years ago (different cruise line) we ate breakfast in a MDR and were seated at a table with people we'd never met. I barely had my eyes open and really didn't feel like making small talk when I was half asleep. Since then we've opted to sit by ourselves for breakfast and lunch, usually at the buffet up on deck, but we know we'll be sharing a dinner table and are geared for it.

Children can be disruptive. They can ruin a nice dinner. Let's not talk about airplanes. I have two young ones and I try to minimize their impact on everyone else, to varying measures, depending on where we are. However, kids are kids. As much as I try to keep a lid on them, certain things are out of a parents control, even if we give it our all. That said, how do we get rid of adults who don't shower, brush their teeth or wear deodorant? Or as read on another post, suck their spouses toes at dinner, or floss and fly spittle across the table? What about those who dress half naked, talk loud, slurp their soup, belch or fart?? Or the cursers, late arrivals, impolite, belittlers? I can forgive kids. But how do I avoid the weirdos? Kids give maybe, three, four years of grief. Adults 70 or 80. Something to think about when you hear a baby cry.

Well said!!

I hope that people at our table can take us (me). I have autism, so someday or something can be difficult for me. We are Danes, but we will almost only speak English at the table, as we would find it rude if, people talk a language we couldn't understand. I will only talk Danish at the table, if there's something I can't understand or say. I have a bad hearing, and I have problems with my body, so I often spill food on me, or only use a fork. But we are nice people, and trying not to hurt people's fillings

I merely said proper etiquette would be to ask if your tablemate minds, and if they do then you should abstain or ask to be moved. It's rude to do otherwise. Not everybody is comfortable with somebody's religious overtures, no matter how unobtrusive or mild the offending party may think they are being.

I don't think this is a matter of etiquette. It's a personal freedom to 'pray' 'give thanks' 'bless' your meal. As long as I am not asking anyone to join, am not being loud or boisterous during said pre-meal thanks-giving... I do NOT need to ask anyone's permission... If a table mate cannot tolerate a few seconds of quiet prayer - then THEY need to move.

As long as it is done quickly and unobtrusively and with no expectation that the non-believer join in, it is certainly not bad manners for someone to practice their religion. I'm not going to ask your permission before I engage in any reasonable religious observance, because, like most individuals of any religious persuasion, I don't care if my religion makes you uncomfortable. I'm not praying for your benefit; I'm doing it because that is what my faith requires of me and what I believe that God would want me to do. I have the right to practice my religion regardless of your feelings about it, just as you have a right not to practice any religion at all. Being religious is not bad manners, but being disrespectful of others' beliefs or expecting them to request your approval before displaying them is.

Exactly!

We always travel with family, so we usually have a group of a minimum of 7 or 8 (in this case, 8 family and 3 more friends), and so by default, we usually end up at our own table. But even if we are served at another table (ie as mentioned hibachi or lunch with open seating), we still will say a brief personal prayer prior to our meal, one that is brief and either very quiet or completely silent. Such a prayer is at a minimum would I would do even if no one was around, (especially then), but the point is not to draw undue attention to oneself. I do not think anyone should ever interfere with anyone, period. No one interferes with my very quiet moment of thanks and we don't interfere and insist on a group prayer either. Which is never something I would do (have a public prayer with strangers) because our beliefs would vary anyway. I would say that when we are seated at our own table, sometimes we will have a family member say a blessing for our table. Not something that would be a really loud or big deal then either, we are just a family dining together. Bottom line, if everyone exercises respect, no one will feel uncomfortable, and each situation is different. No one should look down on our choice to demonstrate quietly our faith, just as we choose not to involve ourselves in someone's business who chooses not to exercise a faith. (Although if ASKED, emphasis on ASKED mind you or if the topic comes up, we will happily discuss our happy hope!) RESPECT. :thumbsup2

Twinprincessmermaids, I tried to send you a private message to hear more about your happy hope, but I couldn't because I haven't posted enough... Would you mind sending me a private message?

I hope that people at our table can take us (me). I have autism, so someday or something can be difficult for me. We are Danes, but we will almost only speak English at the table, as we would find it rude if, people talk a language we couldn't understand. I will only talk Danish at the table, if there's something I can't understand or say. I have a bad hearing, and I have problems with my body, so I often spill food on me, or only use a fork. But we are nice people, and trying not to hurt people's fillings

Don't worry. :hug:
People like you are the light of this world.
Because in front of, and despite personal adversity and challenges you still manage to be kind and offer hopes for redress to those who will be sitting with you. Your attitude is inspiring.

From experience, not very vast (only been to 4 cruises) but I have good observational skills, folks who cruise DCL are decent, lovely people.
So it is likely people who will sit with you will not only be cordial and amenable, they will be happy to share a meal with you.

I know my family and I would, and I wish we could.

Have a wonderful cruise.:thumbsup2

My sister is white and her DH is African American. Our table mates could not believe they were "actually married" and that "they just let you do that in California?" Pretty amazing!

Yikes.. I guess they would be shocked by my biracial DD..LOL

I don't think this is a matter of etiquette. It's a personal freedom to 'pray' 'give thanks' 'bless' your meal. As long as I am not asking anyone to join, am not being loud or boisterous during said pre-meal thanks-giving... I do NOT need to ask anyone's permission... If a table mate cannot tolerate a few seconds of quiet prayer - then THEY need to move.

Well said!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

ChristinaDK said:

DH and I would love to be tables mates with you. DH has speech dyslexia and can sometimes have trouble getting the words in the right order. He has gotten better since he has become less self consciousness about it (his family used to tell him not to speak to other's since he sounded stupid, no not kidding). Our only requirement in table mates are they be nice. Our last cruise was fine and our table mates never noticed DH had an issue. We did the club's with one couple and excursions with another.

WOW, nice hypocritical behavior -- make a big deal in public (and with strangers) about thanking God for your meal, and then in the same breath turn on a server for an honest mistake and try to get her in trouble! Those kind of people drive me crazy -- they don't carry forward the "good nature" they purport to have with God. :confused3

I'm not going to turn my experience into a debate about religion. I shared the discomfort I felt having done the polite thing by holding their hands during grace. I would feel perfectly comfortable if the hand-holding was not part of the equation. It was just one of my personal hang-ups. ;)

And anyone can be a jerk, regardless of how religious one is or isn't. I don't hold their religion against their behavior. I hold their behavior against them only.

It was even more awkward for me because I had been on a 3 night cruise, and my first night was dinner at Remy. So I didn't meet them until the second night. The crap hit the fan that night, and it was just weird. I always sat next to the other couple who were at this table, so I did have a half of my tablemates who were lovely people. We ended up on the van ride back to WDW after the cruise, and we had a big chuckle about the nasty people.

You can sit with my family anytime Christina! We'd probably ask you to teach us a few words in Danish, though!

Well said. My son and I always do a quiet personal prayer before meals and we are not going to stop because we are on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

For the prayers and blessers then: what do you expect of your tablemates when you say your peace when the food comes? Are they to stop what they're doing, not eat, and be quiet? Or can they carry as they normally would? Curious.

Anyway ... we were not seated with these people, but next to them: they brought their stuffed bear to dinner (huge stuffed bear) and had a place setting for the bear. And a dinner plate ordered for the bear. And once sent back the dinner because bear didn't like it. Bring your bear to dinner, fine. But why waste food ... on a stuffed bear? They would cut the food for the bear and everything.

For the prayers and blessers then: what do you expect of your tablemates when you say your peace when the food comes? Are they to stop what they're doing, not eat, and be quiet? Or can they carry as they normally would? Curious. Anyway ... we were not seated with these people, but next to them: they brought their stuffed bear to dinner (huge stuffed bear) and had a place setting for the bear. And a dinner plate ordered for the bear. And once sent back the dinner because bear didn't like it. Bring your bear to dinner, fine. But why waste food ... on a stuffed bear? They would cut the food for the bear and everything.[/QUOTE
To answer the 1st question- I don't expect table mates to do anything, unless they wanted in! I wouldn't expect bowed heads or even a lapse in their conversation. We may be sharing a table, but the prayer is between myself and my God, with my family participating.
If I were at a table and a family bowed their heads in prayer I would politely ignore them- I have no idea WHO they are praying to, that's their business. And I have met (and this thread proves it) way more "anti-Christian bullies" than "Jesus bullies".
2nd- we had a woman with a large bear on our cruise too, ordered food for it and talked for it, even got it interviewed at Golden Mickeys. We met b/c she was in our FE group, so she may be lurking :) Her and her family were super sweet, it's her "thing", whatever.

For the prayers and blessers then: what do you expect of your tablemates when you say your peace when the food comes? Are they to stop what they're doing, not eat, and be quiet? Or can they carry as they normally would? Curious. Anyway ... we were not seated with these people, but next to them: they brought their stuffed bear to dinner (huge stuffed bear) and had a place setting for the bear. And a dinner plate ordered for the bear. And once sent back the dinner because bear didn't like it. Bring your bear to dinner, fine. But why waste food ... on a stuffed bear? They would cut the food for the bear and everything.

As a family that prays before our meals we just do it for whatever length of time it takes the person praying to do it. Twenty seconds, a minute, some times maybe longer. We don't expect anything from anyone, but we'd be crazy-surprised if a server interrupted.

I work per diem as an RN. I walk into rooms regularly where people of all religions are blessing their meals. Unless there is some critical condition I need to attend to, I just wait it out. Or now my head and join along if it is clearly the same faith I have.

As far as the bear goes... That's wasteful. I am mortified when my kids waste food because their eyes were bigger than their stomachs, or when they leave crusts, etc. To purposefully waste food isn't funny IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter