Craziest table mates you have had.

I'm sorry you had that experience. Some people have no class.

remember, the avg IQ in the US is 98....
and you can't learn class from your I-Phone.... which, after all, is the font of all knowledge and social interaction

remember, the avg IQ in the US is 98....
and you can't learn class from your I-Phone.... which, after all, is the font of all knowledge and social interaction

The guy across from us had a prolonged facetime chat with his girlfriend at dinner while his kids sat looking at us. But mostly he told us stories about how he was going to be rich in some business venture he was starting. I don't recall what it was.

Ugh, I know it. This is one of my biggest pet peeves is when people are "loud" eaters, if that makes sense.

My best friend's husband eats like that, and it's hard to go out to eat with them :crazy2: :scared: I honestly don't know how people can chew / smack their food like that, and not realize how disgusting it is. Blech.

There are some of us that due to sinus issues eat louder then a normal person, so does that imply I am a rude piece of crap that can't eat around other people? I try to limit this as best I can but I can only do so much. While I am probably nowhere as bad as the people you are talking about I find it offensive that you are now calling out people with health issues. Maybe next cruise I will just eat in my room.

cgolf

There are some of us that due to sinus issues eat louder then a normal person, so does that imply I am a rude piece of crap that can't eat around other people? I try to limit this as best I can but I can only do so much. While I am probably nowhere as bad as the people you are talking about I find it offensive that you are now calling out people with health issues. Maybe next cruise I will just eat in my room.

cgolf

No of course not. Goodness sakes. How was I calling out people with health issues?!

Then there are table neighbor issues. This video has a few salty words, but it is interesting. Almost a fight in the dining room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ns5VWxcdCo

I have seem to have the bad table neighbor gene, I have always had wonderful people at my table over several different cruise lines, but on Carnival and Princess, I had bad neighbors, and on Disney, like I said earlier in the thread, a boy next to our table barfed all over his family, and it was a LOT of barf.

the Hadfields & McCoys fighting....getting lost at sea....plastic bags instead of toilets...what's not to love on a Carnival Cruise???!!!

No of course not. Goodness sakes. How was I calling out people with health issues?!

Some loud eaters are that not by choice, but due to health issues, was my point. The wife sometimes gets mad at me for some of what you described, but it is because my breathing passages are not what they should be. My guess though in my case at least is I would be drowned out be the room noise.

It is sometimes tough to figure out what is rude behavior and behavior that can't be avoided due to this that or the other thing.

cheers:)
cgolf

Let's get back to the discussion about other people before we wind up in a three-page digression related to the olfactory, alimentary and digestive disorders some of us might have. ;)

the Hadfields & McCoys fighting....getting lost at sea....plastic bags instead of toilets...what's not to love on a Carnival Cruise???!!!

Hey. At least you know every cruise is an unpredictable adventure. Heck, you don't even know if you'll go to the ports that are planned, or even how long your trip will be. :thumbsup2

Let's get back to the discussion about other people before we wind up in a three-page digression related to the olfactory, alimentary and digestive disorders some of us might have. ;)

RFLOL at olfactory disorders....:lmao:
Am I the only one that when busy I skim thru the entire DISboards looking for this thread? I even use the highlight option...*highlights crazy....boom! still on page 1...yay...

PS: It really makes my blood boil reading about douche families that get upset when they are seated with fellow cruisers... If i witnessed such a scene i'd have confronted them and told them "stay home and go to your two bit town's mcdonalds...you'll have a table just for you and your precious family"....smh...

PPS: Anyway, love this thread...best one i've seen recently...
Please contribute to keep it alive...:laughing:

Am I the only one that when busy I skim thru the entire DISboards looking for this thread? I even use the highlight option...*highlights crazy....boom! still on page 1...yay...

Subscribe to the thread and then you can use the UserCP button at the top left to see if it has any new posts. That's the only way I can keep up with my threads. I have it set up so when I respond to a thread, I am automatically subscribed. ::yes::

I just got back from my first cruise on the Magic last week. It was great! The ship was awesome.

The part of the cruise I felt a little nervous about before we went was being assigned to a table with other people. I like to talk and make new friends, however, my DH is very shy and I was afraid he would not like it. But after reading so many posts here on the DIS about how Disney was great at matching people and many lasting friendships result I thought, why not? It could be fun.

Our first night everything seemed great. We were seated with another couple about our age with a son the same age as my DS, 6. As the boys got to know each other they became friends and even wanted to play in the clubs together.

On the second night, I was feeling pretty great about my choice to have table mates when the Mom of the other boy started letting her crazy show...:banana: She was laughing loudly then obsessing about little details not being right on the table setting, just weird stuff like the napkin off center. Our boys were becoming great friends so we just ignored this at first. The kids then were telling stupid jokes and playing guessing games sort of loudly (as boys that age often do). It seemed like normal child behavior to me. Then, out of nowhere the lady reached over and stabbed her son with her fork! :eek: We weren't quite sure how to react, but I did discreetly tell the server later what had happened. It wasn't hard enough to puncture the skin, but it was still pretty hard. The little boy started screaming and crying. We had to leave right after that. How would you react to this sort of situation? Needless to say I don't believe DH will want to sit with others on future cruises.

What is the craziest table mates you have had?

Geez -- this woman definitely sounds like my sister-in-law -- bipolar! To shift personality like that -- she does that and will go from laughing to screaming in a half second!

And having read all these stories is why, folks, we started asking for a 4-top table after our 4th Disney cruise. The first cruise we sat with a lovely family, but it was only a 4-nighter. They were fun to talk with. The second cruise we sat with another lovely family of father and daughter and ex-wife :confused3 We got along great with them and spent much time on excursions chatting. Our 3rd and 4th cruises were not so great -- the 3rd we had a family from England who were rude, braggy and constantly fighting to the point of making the wife cry and run from the table. Their daughter, treated our daughter like a doormat (who was older than her!). So by the 4th cruise, when we ended up at an 8-seater table with only one older couple -- who would neither acknowledge us, look at us or even speak to us, we decided we were done with that.

On that note, I will say that I think Disney has really come a long way with their seating set ups and offer much more "alone" seating for families and couples and for us it's a great thing.

I'm sorry you had that experience. Some people have no class.

I never understand why people have to handle things like children throwing hissy-fits. If you really didn't want to sit with another family, just kindly ask the restaurant manager to be seated by yourselves. Easy peasy. It certainly doesn't warrant a Defcon-1 level meltdown.

I agree. Drives me nuts when adults act like children. That being said, some people have no clue how they sound. They feel they're being perfectly reasonable while everyone around them is ducking for cover. My wife can be that way occasionally. I need to record it sometime so she can hear herself later :rotfl2: Usually she doesn't lose it until given attitude though.

J...... I have a family and just do this as a hobby and for fun! Lighten up people. I have an imagination and I use it! Thanks :)"

Maybe she should just try 'imagining' making it's bed every day instead of forcing the cabin steward to do it....and she should try 'imagining' putting lotion on it, and strolling about the decks...or better yet, she should try 'imagining' leaving it at home and paying a babysitter to take full care of it for two weeks. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

As long as it is done quickly and unobtrusively and with no expectation that the non-believer join in, it is certainly not bad manners for someone to practice their religion. I'm not going to ask your permission before I engage in any reasonable religious observance, because, like most individuals of any religious persuasion, I don't care if my religion makes you uncomfortable. I'm not praying for your benefit; I'm doing it because that is what my faith requires of me and what I believe that God would want me to do. I have the right to practice my religion regardless of your feelings about it, just as you have a right not to practice any religion at all. Being religious is not bad manners, but being disrespectful of others' beliefs or expecting them to request your approval before displaying them is.

Be careful ... there are many religions that might just offend you if they were to practice their worship at your dinner table. Not all who walk the earth are Christians.

I don't have a crazy tablemate story, but I do have a funny MDR story. Pirate night we were all dressed and we asked our head server (server and asst was really busy) if he could take a quick picture of us. He took the camera, got us together and took a pic of his own eye. :rotfl2:

I don't have a crazy tablemate story, but I do have a funny MDR story. Pirate night we were all dressed and we asked our head server (server and asst was really busy) if he could take a quick picture of us. He took the camera, got us together and took a pic of his own eye. :rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao:

On our first cruise we had a table alone, and the second we shared. I'm wondering if the smaller shared tables just create more awkwardness?

We were a party of 5 at an 8-top with a family of 3. It was such a large table, and the dining room was so noisy anyway that they could have been weird and we didn't even know it! We were all friendly, and made some random small talk throughout the cruise, but 75% of the time they talked amongst them selfs, and we talked amongst ourselves, making the occasional comment or smile to each other.

But I can definitely see if we were a party of 2 with another couple at a 4-top, table mates would be much more "in your face".

Thanks for the responses. Catholic Grace is really brief, and I can sit through that quietly & politely, no problem. A quick blessing of food is one thing. My husband's extended family is what I not-so-politely call "Jesus Bullies." The kind that make you hold hands, bow your heads, and then recite a litany of everything they are grateful for and who needs to be watched over, etc., before every meal. And you don't have a choice. My husband and I both hate it, but tolerate it since they are family. I'm not sure I could handle that on a cruise with strangers, however. Always wondered the etiquette on this.

I want to address this topic, because on my solo cruise, I was at an 8 top with all adults. One lovely Canadian couple, and 5 other adults, 3 of whom were a mother and adult daughters, a guy who was a family friend, and another gal family friend. The party of 5 were of the "hand holding" variety of people saying grace. And when they all held hands, I was uncomfortable holding hands with these strangers while they said grace. However, the Canadians and I were quite polite about it and held hands with them.

I don't say grace before a meal, but I would have been far more comfortable if they did it privately, heads bowed and no hand holding. These people ended up being a problem for our Assistant Server. They accused her of doing something on purpose which looked like a complete accident from where I was sitting. They accused her of having a snotty attitude when she apologized for the accidental bump. They were so awful that they were complaining about her to the Head Server.

I managed to pull the Head Server aside and told him that I witnessed the incident and felt the other guests were being completely unfair and not to hold it again the Assistant Server. I had a feeling that they were not going to tip her at all, and I felt badly. I gave her extra out of compassion for what happened. When the group didn't show up for breakfast the final day, I took the time to tell her that I was sorry that they were being rude and unfair to her. I assured her that I knew they were the problem, not her.

A few months later, I was on a different cruise with friends, and I bumped into the Assistant Server outside of Cabanas. She recognized me from the other ship, as she was handing me a wet wipe. She seemed as happy to see me again as I was to see her. :goodvibes She wasn't part of my serving team, but I would have been happy if she was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter