• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Craig's List comment

Thanks. I priced the dining room set at 175 OBO (negotiable), the chair and ottoman at 250 OBO (also negotiable) and an armoire/entertainment center also at 250. The full price for each of the items was definitely double what I quoted it for. People have been emailing me offers like 100 for the armoire. For that, I will just keep the items.

Thanks. I priced the dining room set at 175 OBO (negotiable), the chair and ottoman at 250 OBO (also negotiable) and an armoire/entertainment center also at 250. The full price for each of the items was definitely double what I quoted it for. People have been emailing me offers like 100 for the armoire. For that, I will just keep the items.

I have sold everything I have listed on Craig's List also. Hopefully it will stay FREE to list.

But I hear you on prices that people ask - I am on the hunt for a "new to me" sofa - I want micofiber or leather and my budget is $300 for a like new. There is a lot of military around here, so it will show up eventually.

Anyway, I was at this yard sale, and this family was military - shipping out and was selling a sofa and loveseat - matching leather - Beautiful $800 for both.

The sofa was too big for my space, so I asked how much for just the loveseat - the lady went into this BIG speel about she paid $1500 just for the loveseat, so she couldn't take less than $700!

I wondered..."but you're asking $800 for both?...." So she came "down" to $500 for the loveseat. I couldn't understand that reasoning.....But maybe it was just me. :confused3

Hey, neighbor. :) I've noticed the same thing on the Hampton Roads CL. Sometimes people ask for crazy prices - and not just for furniture. Recently, I remember in the baby and kids section there were instances of people having an asking price of close to retail - and that is for a used toy. :confused:

Otherwise, I have had great luck buying, selling, and giving things away.

My friend just placed an ad to sell something. He placed the ad then ran some errands, he came back a few hours later and had over a dozen emails from one guy. The first was normal, when can we meet, I live close etc...30 minutes later, where are you, 30 minutes later, you moron, don't you know how craigs list works, 30 minutes later give me your phone number so I can call, then it went to threats and swearing every 15 minutes. For a $100 item. It is so not worth it.

So far I have had 2 psychos. :headache:

Once I sold something large and stated in my ad being sold as-is. The gal emails me back and says she doesn't want it anymore. She still sends me harassing emails. Fortunately, my email is web-based (yahoo email). I also had one gal who got upset that I sold something because she didn't show up - twice. Ugh.

This is why I make sure to use my Yahoo email address and I never use my phone as a contact. I also meet people in a public location with my beat up car. lol

As for pricing, if I want to get rid of it I go real low. Otherwise, it's usually around 1/4th to 1/3rd of what I bought it at depending on the condition.

The high prices don't bother me. I have my budget for what I'll pay. I can wait until it shows up.

As as seller, I know the prices I want and will wait to get them. It is also not worth it to me to list 1,2, and 3 $$ items and then wait around for people who may not show.

I also know that if it doesn't sell on CL for what I want, I can donate it for a tax write off. That is sometimes preferable to dealing with some of the crazies out there. we met quite a few of thos via email when we had free sod to give away from a new flower bed and when we sold our 14 year old car.

What bothers me/surprises me is the audacity of the people asking for big things for free or asking for very expensive items for very cheap. Those strike a nerve with me.

I see very few people remove posts or say stuff has sold. Does anything actually "move"?

I don't know how successful the ads are, but sellers do have the option to remove or edit their posting if they have an account on CL. I have this option many times!

I've sold on Craigslist and what I do is look on ebay at similar items. I look at completed auctions, so I can get an idea what the typical price is for an item. I price fairly low($20 for a videogame that people are paying $25 for on ebay)

I never put my phone number(use email) and I always meet in public to exchange the goods. I don't want just anyone knowing where I live or having my phone number. I ignore people that ask for me to go down in price, unless I really want to.

Whoever was looking for a microfiber couch, you should go to Big Lots. You can get one new for $300, and they are very nice.

http://www.biglots.com/Furniture/item.aspx?cid=14&scid=47&iid=3751

http://www.biglots.com/Furniture/item.aspx?cid=14&scid=47&iid=3751

I quit doing craigslist just becasue I got tired of dealing with people! I'm the type that was doing it to get rid of stuff, not to make money, but still!
I was selling our couches (we got new ones) microfiber couch and loveseat, 3 years sold, for $50. Still had people trying to talk me down!
Same with our dining table. It was too big for our dining room when we moved. It was a full sized formal cherry dining table. wanted $75. Still, people wanted to talk me down.
Its the same at yardsales when I'm selling clothes for .50 and someone wantts to give me a quater. really, is that .25 going to kill you? its .50!
people like that are just RUDE!

I sold all of my stuff when I moved on Ebay for local pickup only. I also bought a few things that way. I was happy, people paid what I asked and did not talk me down, plus I could put in pictures and details. There were no surprises and I gave everyone the option of backing outafter they saw everything. It isn't so anonymous.

I've sold on Craigslist and what I do is look on ebay at similar items. I look at completed auctions, so I can get an idea what the typical price is for an item. I price fairly low($20 for a videogame that people are paying $25 for on ebay)

QUOTE]

I do this too. I always check ebay before pricing my items. I've had good luck with craigslist. I think it's slowed down the last month or so b/c garage sale season kicked in.

I know on another board people were complaining about resell prices, but you have to take into consideration that things cost a lot more to buy nowadays too. All prices have went up, so why shouldn't resell or garage sale prices too?

All prices have went up, so why shouldn't resell or garage sale prices too?

Well, from what I see on our local Craig's List, they are listing at brand new furniture prices, which is fine, free country and all, just irritating.

I wish all who list their items at unrealistic prices the best of luck. Oh, and lots of patience.;)

I've sold every item within a day or two that I've listed on Craig's list. Well, I did end up donating a fridge to a good cause when it was actually for sale, but it was old and I just wanted it out of the house. I sold an entertainment center, shelves, airline vouchers, and most recently I sold our 10 year old swing set. I was totally willing to give it away and then thought I'd try Craig's List first just to see if I could sell it. I listed it and had 30 responses within 2 hours. It was disassembled by the buyer and out of our back yard that same afternoon.

Once I sell an item, I remove the ad. Otherwise it clogs up my email. I'm going to list lots of clothes in the same size this summer. I'm so tired of ebay and the fees, so I'm going to give this a whirl. A friend of mine has done this and has made very good money.

I've only sold a few bigger items, but have had great luck. I also start at a price we're ok with or a price we figure we can be talked down a little on and go from there. If it's newly listed and I've had a lot of inquiries, I tell people we aren't willing to go down yet. It really depends on how badly we want to get rid of an item.

What bothers me/surprises me is the audacity of the people asking for big things for free or asking for very expensive items for very cheap. Those strike a nerve with me.

I love this too, and I've seen ads where they want the donor (for free) to deliver and carry furniture up a couple of flights of stairs.

I see very few people remove posts or say stuff has sold. Does anything actually "move"?

We just bought a minivan that was posted on Craig's list - a 2000 Ford Windstar for $4500.00. I did a lot of searching there and on Auto Trader and there were several that I saw that were WAY overpriced according to the current prices for used vehicles. Our local dealerships wanted $$$$$$ and some didn't look nearly as nice as this one. We were lucky. It is EXTREMELY clean inside and out; even underneath the hood. All of the upkeep (oil changes, etc.) was documented and it runs like a dream. Maybe a little high with 104,000 miles but we couldn't afford anything new and my current truck has over 200,000 miles on it (still running :goodvibes ). We REALLY needed something else. So, at least ONE item has 'moved' on Craig's List. :rotfl: :rotfl:

On my local freecycle I have seen recently ads requesting flat screen TVs and laptops as needs, it's the same with Craigs List. I bet even if you did contact them they would still want to know the brand, age and try to get you to deliver it.

I want to list a few things but I am scared too!! I have some of DS's things that I just want to get rid of . It's not worth it to me to save them for the next child I'd rather the room.

I have a Rainforest Jumperoo that has gotten a lot of use. I'd love to get rid of that for around $30 and I have a Rainforest swing that he used MAYBE 5 times. I don't think I have the box anymore. It's selling for $91 at walmart .. I'd love to get $60-75 for it. Too much?

On my local freecycle I have seen recently ads requesting flat screen TVs and laptops as needs, it's the same with Craigs List. I bet even if you did contact them they would still want to know the brand, age and try to get you to deliver it.

I crack up when I read our freecycal. One guy wanted a canoe. Just wondering if anyone had one available. Also, a lady demanded (not asked) for a double jogging stroller, newer and in very good shape. Ok.

I want to list a few things but I am scared too!! I have some of DS's things that I just want to get rid of . It's not worth it to me to save them for the next child I'd rather the room.

I have a Rainforest Jumperoo that has gotten a lot of use. I'd love to get rid of that for around $30 and I have a Rainforest swing that he used MAYBE 5 times. I don't think I have the box anymore. It's selling for $91 at walmart .. I'd love to get $60-75 for it. Too much?

To be honest, if I could pay around 20 dollars more for a brand new item, I would. That is just me. Half of what I would pay in a store is ok but to spend a little more and get something new is what I would do. $60 is fine.

What's even "better" are the childcare posts asking for an "older" (21+) babysitter who speaks English to take care of her 2 angels (ages 1 and 3). Oh yea, it's a single mother and she can't pay more than $5 an hour for a 40+ hour work week!

:confused: :eek:

I have both sold and given away stuff on Craigslist and have done well both times. I think I sold the fridge for $200 and the desks for $10 and $20. Really, I just wanted the stuff to go away. I did manage to unload a couple of nice kid items (like a trike) on the couple who came for one of the desks too.

I'm sorry you aren't kinding the bargains you want. I'm currently looking for used appliances and am seeing a lot of good deals in our area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter