Craig's List comment

Muushka

<font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped
Does anyone else think that the prices people ask on Craig's List are unrealistic?

I am always amazed at how much people ask for stuff that is used. :confused3

Yup. I read a 'garage sale tips' article the other day that said 'tell the story, say how much you paid for it'- and a lot of people seem to think that will work.

Personally, I don't CARE how much you paid for it. If you aren't selling it dirt cheap, I'll find someone who is. That what CL and garage sales are for. Granted I'll pay a bit more on CL since I didn't have to drive around and look for it, but some people are just nuts if they think their old junk is worth what they're asking for it- esp. when a lot of people don't have discretionary spending money at the moment.

I see very few people remove posts or say stuff has sold. Does anything actually "move"?

Maybe it's just around here.... but I've sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist. I've sold everything from furniture, toys, kids clothes, and a pool table. I've made more money on Craigslist then have with garage sales. I have also been able to get rid of a lot of things for free.

Basically I pick the price I'd really like to get and start there for a week. Then if it hasn't sold I take my price down about 20% and relist it.

I've had great luck with Craigslist. I've sold absolutely everything I listed on there and I've sold everything from Southwest credits to a deep fryer to a large piece of furniture. I don't blame people in the least for listing a higher asking price. You would really be surprised what some people will pay for somethings. For instance, I had this huge china cabinet that I just wanted to get rid of. It was ugly (to me) and took up way too much space in my dining room (it was my MILs.) Anyway, I listed it for $50 thinking that no one would want it at all and that I would have to give it away for free. Well, I ended up having oer 50 offers for it :eek: I could have made soooo much more but oh well.

With Craigslist it is so easy (since it is free) to list your stuff and then price it down if you need to.

I have sold everything I have listed on Craig's List also. Hopefully it will stay FREE to list.

But I hear you on prices that people ask - I am on the hunt for a "new to me" sofa - I want micofiber or leather and my budget is $300 for a like new. There is a lot of military around here, so it will show up eventually.

Anyway, I was at this yard sale, and this family was military - shipping out and was selling a sofa and loveseat - matching leather - Beautiful $800 for both.

The sofa was too big for my space, so I asked how much for just the loveseat - the lady went into this BIG speel about she paid $1500 just for the loveseat, so she couldn't take less than $700!

I wondered..."but you're asking $800 for both?...." So she came "down" to $500 for the loveseat. I couldn't understand that reasoning.....But maybe it was just me. :confused3

Hah, yes!

I was looking for some outdoor used patio furniture, and people wanted $600!!! I can get the same set new at Garden Ridge for 399!!!

As it turns out, the neighbor graciously decided to toss a table (I have the whole funny story somewhere on another thread) which I dragged into my car, refinished, and now I have my patio set :banana:

I have yet to see/buy anything on Craig's list...:confused: it's all ridiculous.

Say Kickapoo, I have a question for you. When I see your screen name that jingle that goes with your name races through my head (not a pleasant song, but fun nonetheless).

Did you ever hear the tune (probably 40 years ago!)

Back to Craig's List. I hate to dicker with people over price, which is too bad. I'll bet those people asking $2500 for their dining set would take $1500, but I am not going to be the one trying to get them down.

Say Kickapoo, I have a question for you. When I see your screen name that jingle that goes with your name races through my head (not a pleasant song, but fun nonetheless).

Did you ever hear the tune (probably 40 years ago!)

Back to Craig's List. I hate to dicker with people over price, which is too bad. I'll bet those people asking $2500 for their dining set would take $1500, but I am not going to be the one trying to get them down.

No, I've never heard it. I got the name from my grandfather, who used to tell me I was "full of kickapoo joy juice" all the time, and my middle name is Joie, so I kinda adapted it.

I'm an older gen-x'er...

I have purchased things from craigslist and so has my friend...i've been happy. You can ALWAYS try to negotiate a lower price.

I DON'T WANT to negotiate! If I put something up for sale I won't increase the price by hundreds of dollars to be talked down. Life is too short to be playing those games.

I know, I am the loser in all of this. But it is one reason why I don't bother looking at the list any more.

I have stuff up on craigslist right now and it is such a PITA. I have a pier 1 glass topped table for sale (36 round diameter) and it is in brand new condition with 2 matching chairs, and a pier 1 armoire with matching table (white washed wood), and a suede chair with ottoman (brand new condition) - an oversized armchair. How would you price these? Everyone emails me with a big sob story about how they only have X to spend, etc.

See, those are the games I'm talking about. Everyone assumes that everyone marks things way up, so the game is to start dirt cheap and go up from there. Sorry I can't help!

I have sold several things on there. Even the times I have had things on there at basically "give away" prices...people call and want me to go even lower! I am practically giving something away, and now you want it for free?? How am I supposed to take my kids on vacation??? So, whether people like it or not.. I ALWAYS now as a rule, add about 150-200$ to the price of whatever I am selling so that I can come down for those who just feel they HAVE to negotiate the price down no matter what. It's not the way I like to do things, but people try to take advantage of you if you don't...so they force your hand sometimes. :D

I have sold some stuff on there. I'd rather try & try again on CL then pay for Ebay.

We just sold a motorcycle, lawn mower & I have sold a few toys recently.

One toy I listed for $10 & that was a steal. It was a cozy coupe with no roof but a handle so you can drive the child. Someone else just listed it for twice what I sold it for.

I started at low prices - extremely low. Everyone e-mails me with even lower prices. The stuff is brand new and I start out pricing things at 50-60% of what I paid, knowing I will have to take a lot less..so I am just wondering what I am doing wrong. I always say that I am willing to negotiate, or put best offer, but when someone offers you $40 for a brand new chair plus ottoman, I just don't think that is doable for me. Believe me, I put things on craig's list for cheap - I am not "playing games." I want to get rid of these items before I move!

Seriously, would anyone mind telling me what they think a reasonable price would be for these items? I have pictures, too. I am just having trouble finding reasonable prices.

I obviously can't see what you are talking about, but I can tell you what I would do. Lets say you paid $500 for a piece of furniture. If it is a couch or a chair or something that can wear out, to me it would be worth much less than what you paid. If it was say, 3 years old, and in great shape, I would pay half of what you paid, or maybe even a third. Probably around $200+. If it was a wooden piece that does not wear out, I would pay a little more, like $300. But again, this is all just a guess.

I have never bought used furniture, but was willing to buy a used dining room set. I figured if someone paid $3000 5 years ago, it would go for $1800. But what I am seeing is "I paid $4000 (yeah, sure you did) and will sacrafice for $3500 AND you have to come pick it up. And what I am seeing is the stuff in the store for less than $3000. Plus I am in NC. Furniture capital of the world!:confused3

I've sold quite a bit on CL and always try to start at a good price that I feel will get whatever it is I'm selling gone quickly.... I think about what I'd be happy getting on ebay and pretty much start there (for kids' clothes and toys) and have been lucky to get my asking price most of the time. There are some people who ask new prices and I just don't see them selling their stuff..... If you don't want offers, just state that your price is firm and hopefully people won't ask for a discount...

My friend just placed an ad to sell something. He placed the ad then ran some errands, he came back a few hours later and had over a dozen emails from one guy. The first was normal, when can we meet, I live close etc...30 minutes later, where are you, 30 minutes later, you moron, don't you know how craigs list works, 30 minutes later give me your phone number so I can call, then it went to threats and swearing every 15 minutes. For a $100 item. It is so not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter