Corner Lot - Yes or No?

meliss8599

DIS Veteran
We're looking to move and I've been against anything on a corner lot because it usually means a small/nonexistent yard, more sidewalk & parkway to shovel/maintain, and more foot traffic and people looking in more exposed windows as they walk or drive by. Other than being cheaper, I can't think of any pros of living on a corner.

If you live or have lived on a corner lot, can you tell me the pros and cons?

Corner lots are premium in the suburbs!

It meant our garage could be put on back of house and driveway on side street
That way my whole front lawn view of my house is pretty-no cars sitting in driveway, etc
Also neighbors on ONE side only-other side has LOTS more privacy

(I have a 1/2 acre lot, BTW)

Depends on how the houses are set up. I've lived in 4 houses that were corner lots. Three of them had huge yards, one did not. Corner lots where the house behind you is not too close are considered "premium" but in the one neighborhood where the house behind us was about 10 feet outside our back door, it was not easy to sell (fortunately I was a kid and didn't have to worry about that).

I always thought I would want a corner lot until I lived where I live now. Near my house the two houses on the corners are bus stops for the public and private schools. The one bus stop is at least 40 kids. Not only is it noisy, the kids are constantly on the lawn playing, going on this ladies porch, screaming and running up and down her driveway and leaving garbage. I've seen soccer balls hit her windows too.
She's only ever come out and complained once. I can't believe what she puts up with.. I would have lost my patience long ago.
Two or three of the parents keep their kids on the sidewalk, the rest don't seem to care at all and that's probably why their kids act like that.
So if I ever wanted to buy a house on a corner I'd scope it out and make sure it wasn't a bus stop first.

In my neighborhood, none of the corner lots seem desirable to me.

We are on half acre lots and they way they have situated those corner-lot houses is that all of their half acre is mostly in the front and around the side. They get very little usable space out the back.

I guess it would depend on how the builder places the house.

The extra parking would be nice. We live in the middle house on a cul de sac and love the huge backyard, but the houses on the corners have twice the parking.

We love our corner lot with a south facing drive way. When we purchase a house that we find something on a corner lot!

I love my corner lot. :love:

We have great views out our windows. It feels open and spacious inside and out because of the great views and we never have to see our neighbors if we don't want to. :woohoo:

I don't care for corner homes. To many people walk across your yard. Lots here can mean more yard space to take care of.

I love ours, but we also don't have neighbors behind us and the street on the side dead ends. We have a huge side yard which I love!

The corner lot across the street always has kids cutting through which would annoy the heck out of me. I'm also a grump.

In our subdivision corner lots were free and every other lot had a premium base on size of yard and if it is a cul de sac. I personally wouldn't want one, but to each their own. I don't see how the view can be any better unless it happens to be at edge of a subdivision and you have forest/grassy area on the other side otherwise just like anyone else your view out one side is a house on one side and the other is a street than a house. IMO there is just too much foot traffic and can even have more road traffic at the corners so if you have a choice I'd opt first for a cul de sac or next for middle of the street at the back of the subdivision where people are less likely to drive.

The only problem I have with our corner lot is the snow shoveling(well snow blowing). We are responsible for a lot of sidewalk, but other than that we love it too.

Our corner lot is awesome. Neighbors on the back are not close and our front and side lawns are huge. The only drawback I see is that front, sides and most of back yard has to be well groomed as almost all is visible. Had a corner lot before in another house and I loved it too.

I love ours, but we also don't have neighbors behind us and the street on the side dead ends. We have a huge side yard which I love!

The corner lot across the street always has kids cutting through which would annoy the heck out of me. I'm also a grump.

That is the only way I could see it being nice! Our bus stops are at every corner so you have a 1 in 4 chance your house will be the stop and we have a ton of kids in our neighborhood so you could have 10 or more kids running around your yard waiting for the bus. The younger kids have parents who, but the 4th, 5th and 6th bus doesn't and they play football waiting.

I love my corner lot. :love:

We have great views out our windows. It feels open and spacious inside and out because of the great views and we never have to see our neighbors if we don't want to. :woohoo:

This was the case with our starter home. We had more grass, and sidewalk. So.. more grass to cut, and snow to shovel but, we were a young active family so for us it was decided that this was a health benefit. As were two sets of stairs to climb (split level) home.

I find ours a nuisance. We have people cutting through the lawn. We have even seen tire tracks on our lawn. :mad: not to mention the garbage and luckly occasional dog poop. Thankfully most dog owners are responsible but we get the occasional one.

We live on a corner lot. I love it. Large side yard, to go along with the regular sized back yard. Nobody peering at me from the backyard, since I look out to the side of the house behind us. The extra few feet of snow to clean up isn't a big deal :confused3.

I wouldn't want to live where the bus stops, but that isn't something that is exclusive to corner lots :sad2:. They are not cheaper, I would think that depends on the actual lot/neighborhood, though.

I guess I've been lucky - lived in 2 corner houses (our only 2 houses) and they've both been great.

Both had deep backyards. Both were on a corner with sidewalk only along the front street, not the side street. While our front (address) streets were a little busy in both cases, the side streets were pretty quiet. The length of the side streets provided lots of extra parking that most houses around us didn't have.

I'd say it definitely depends on your specifics, but in my experience, having a corner lot is a definite advantage!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter