"Copy of passport"

That is some great advice, probably way more useful than just having a bunch of paper copies laying around that could be lost and pose a risk for identity theft... I can see saving a copy to Google Docs or iCloud also..

Much more useful. Just use a complex password and your only sharing with the NSA. I plan on keeping electronic copies online also.

Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

Much more useful. Just use a complex password and your only sharing with the NSA. I plan on keeping electronic copies online also.

Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

:rotfl2:

I'm not sure I trust email and cloud. Not to mention accessing data at sea is ridiculously expensive. It might be a safer and easier bet to save the documents locally on your phone.

Sent from JohnDS's two cans and a string using DISBoards

I don't take my passport with me unless necessary like on our AK cruise when we needed it to into Canada. I think I'd rather deal with the pain and frustration if I ever needed to use the copies vs. having something happen to my original passport. I guess it's whatever one feels most comfortable with doing.

:rotfl2:

I'm not sure I trust email and cloud. Not to mention accessing data at sea is ridiculously expensive. It might be a safer and easier bet to save the documents locally on your phone.

Sent from JohnDS's two cans and a string using DISBoards

Why would you need it at sea? The whole point would be to be able to retrieve it at a consulate office so you can replace your actual documents.

Why would you need it at sea? The whole point would be to be able to retrieve it at a consulate office so you can replace your actual documents.

I meant that in a general sense. I would think that even in the Bahamas, data and roaming charges would be noticeably higher than in the continental U.S. where it rarely exists any more. Though I reckon that might be inconsequential when you're panicked and trying to get home. Nonetheless, if possible, I would think most people would like to avoid any additional charges if they do need to go through the hoop jumping that is trying to get home if they miss the ship. Most smartphones have plenty of memory to hold hundreds if not thousands mp3s, let alone a few pdfs for easy, local access without having to worry about connection and/or roaming charges. But then again, I sometimes have trouble getting a decent enough of a connection loading my shopping list on Google Drive while inside my local Costco, and I don't even live in the boonies. :confused3:badpc:

I meant that in a general sense. I would think that even in the Bahamas, data and roaming charges would be noticeably higher than in the continental U.S. where it rarely exists any more. Though I reckon that might be inconsequential when you're panicked and trying to get home. Nonetheless, if possible, I would think most people would like to avoid any additional charges if they do need to go through the hoop jumping that is trying to get home if they miss the ship. Most smartphones have plenty of memory to hold hundreds if not thousands mp3s, let alone a few pdfs for easy, local access without having to worry about connection and/or roaming charges. But then again, I sometimes have trouble getting a decent enough of a connection loading my shopping list on Google Drive while inside my local Costco, and I don't even live in the boonies. :confused3:badpc:

At a consulate I wouldn't worry about it. If my passport was stolen, so was my cellphone and any paper copy I was silly enough to be toting about.

The point of an electronic version in your online email is that you can get it from any computer.

My friend at State said that they have no problem providing Internet access for citizens who show up at the consulate needing another passport.

My friend at State said that they have no problem providing Internet access for citizens who show up at the consulate needing another passport.

Great to know, I suspect the travel tips on printing out hard copies to store in your hotel room are starting to get out dated just like printing out your boarding passes for flights.... Still remember people panicking if they left airline tickets at home....

Should add that my TA recommended leaving the Passport itself on the ship and taking a photocopy on tours, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter