• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coping with Frustration at Budget-Busting Expenses

fabfemmeboy

DIS Veteran
We had a trip all planned and ready to book (the resort we wanted still had free dining rooms available for our trip week, woo!) when suddenly an unforeseen and totally necessary expense popped up this week. And wouldn't you know it, it costs exactly the same as the package we were about to book? GAH, I could scream! It might not be too late, we might be able to scrimp and pinch enough together this month to book stuff, but our trip just got a lot less likely.

Obviously there's not much you can do about it, that's life and all, but how do you deal with the utter frustration of it? Especially when you've been doing everything "right," budget-wise, and then something unexpected comes along and blows it out of the water.

We had a trip all planned and ready to book (the resort we wanted still had free dining rooms available for our trip week, woo!) when suddenly an unforeseen and totally necessary expense popped up this week. And wouldn't you know it, it costs exactly the same as the package we were about to book? GAH, I could scream! It might not be too late, we might be able to scrimp and pinch enough together this month to book stuff, but our trip just got a lot less likely.

Obviously there's not much you can do about it, that's life and all, but how do you deal with the utter frustration of it? Especially when you've been doing everything "right," budget-wise, and then something unexpected comes along and blows it out of the water.
It sucks to have to be a grown up and have to pay for unexpected but necessary things instead of a fun vacation.

I deal with it by resolving to keep a nice buffer in my emergency fund. That way, when stuff happens, I can still kvetch about having to spend the money but at least I have the money to be able to spend it. Then I console myself by repeating "it's a good thing that I had this money to fall back on"...and I find a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey to drown my sorrows in.

Can you save the money up until then and nix the package? That way you have more time to save. You can buy discounted gift cards to help cut the cost of dining. The only thing you'd have to pay up front would be room deposit.

I feel your pain. Something happened back in April that caused us to have to purchase new tires for the truck. That took out a huge chunk of my Disney money. We have to go to New York to visit for a graduation this summer but I really want to go to Disney. What I did was sit down and figure out what I was willing to give up to make this trip happen. It can't come out of the household expenses because the obligatory NY trip is where those funds are going.

So, there are only 3 of us. Me, DH, and DD (5 yrs old). While AKL and CSR are both nice, they aren't fitting my budget this time so Pop Century it is! I am willing to pre-make breakfast to reheat in the microwaves in the food court. I am willing to pack lunches and snacks to carry into the park with us.

I am working Swagbucks and Perk as much as I can from now until September. I think I will have everything paid for by then. I currently have the room and tickets covered. I have a savings plan that should cover all the rest and possibly make it so that I don't need to carry those lunches/breakfasts with us. But if that's the only way I get to go, I'm willing to do it. But I'm okay with traveling on a budget.

It sucks.

Plain and simple it sucks!

I try to console myself by telling myself that some day, I will be grateful that I was fiscally responsible. And that financially responsible vacations feel better than those that put me on the edge of what I should be doing with my money.

And, sometimes I throw a big temper tantrum anyway.

I also tend to do 2 things when I'm focusing my money away from vacations:
1. I work on gratitude, all the things I have that I'm grateful for.
2. I stay away from the email folder where I have all my vacation offers come in. I start thinking about things other than vacation. For me, it's the same effect as simply staying out of the mall helps me curb my shopping expenditures.

I have a great Emergency Fund, but since that can't be touched unless it's an emergency, and I haven't (knock wood) had an emergency yet, I will move funds from vacation to things like needing a new deck, or needing brakes or whatever. While most people might consider new brakes an emergency, for me, it's not. I have a car, cars need brakes, it is a planned expense, even when it comes up at an inconvenient time. Inconvenient timing does not equal emergency for me.

I start planning another trip further out when I can get the money saved again.
Disney World isn't going anywhere and there will be more deals.

I agree with the person who said that an emergency fund is a good idea. Start a new savings account and add a bit of money to it every month. It's 'hidden' money that you don't touch except when an emergency comes up. It's not to be used for trips or other things.

I am working Swagbucks and Perk as much as I can from now until September. I think I will have everything paid for by then. I currently have the room and tickets covered. I have a savings plan that should cover all the rest and possibly make it so that I don't need to carry those lunches/breakfasts with us. But if that's the only way I get to go, I'm willing to do it. But I'm okay with traveling on a budget.

Can you tell me more about Perk?? I've seen it mentioned a few times here lately, but I've never heard of it. Thanks!!

Can you tell me more about Perk?? I've seen it mentioned a few times here lately, but I've never heard of it. Thanks!!
Perk is a rewards program that awards points for watching ad videos on your smart device. The points can be redeemed for GCs, like Target GCs that can be used for buying Disney GCs.

Most successful Perk users are employing several older smart devices (old iphones, ipods, smartphones, etc.) and allowing them to run almost constantly.

As a PP mentioned, there's a long thread about it here on the disboards and there's a subreddit devoted to the ins and outs of the program.

Yeah, this was enough of an emergency to need to be paid right away but not enough of an emergency to come out of the real emergency fund.

We may be able to book without the package. Though the trip will cost more because free dining will be off the table (no pun intended), it's certainly better than no trip at all. And if not then...well, you're right, Disney World isn't going anywhere. Timing just always seems to screw things up, doesn't it?

But thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!

I feel for you! in February our furnace went and that cost us $4000 to replace. May our central air crashed and that was $4000. our driveway had to be resurfaced to bring it back to the height of our garage, another $750. before all this started I was feeling very comfortable and purchase a $2000 sofa set in January. yes, i'm broke......:crazy2:

I just had to replace my roof. Sigh. But you know what, I am still going. Yes, there will be some debt. But one of my closest friends died of cancer last year and during her last months she kept reminding me "If there are things you want to do, do them. You never know how much time you will have." She's right.

I hated writing a $22k check to have our sewer replaced two years ago. It was frustrating but a few weeks later we went to see my son's endocrinologist at Seattle Children's Hospital. You see people with real problems there. I didn't feel so bad about the $22,000 after seeing kids who might not make it till the end of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter