*COMPLETE* "You know he won't remember!" - 9 wk old baby's 1st visit to the World!

I am signing on for this TR! We waited to take our son on his first trip until just after he had turned a year old, but the title still drew me in because we heard that too. A LOT. :rolleyes: I am thinking that whenever #2 comes along, a maternity leave trip might work for us too! :goodvibes Looking forward to more updates.

I love your TR and your family is adorable. I love all of your son's outfit. We took our soon at 8 months for his 1st visit and it was great. Much easier than later that year when he was walking and had more opinions! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Thank you for the kind words! We were very blessed to have been gifted several cute outfits for the trip and then I made him a couple more. He really was an easy baby for this trip. I don't know if that was just him or the age, though! :) I do think it is easier before they are too mobile!

I am signing on for this TR! We waited to take our son on his first trip until just after he had turned a year old, but the title still drew me in because we heard that too. A LOT. :rolleyes: I am thinking that whenever #2 comes along, a maternity leave trip might work for us too! :goodvibes Looking forward to more updates.

I would recommend it for an uncomplicated delivery/healthy baby! I will include a separate post on my thoughts on taking a young infant to the World at he end. Hopefully I will get there before you have another baby! :lmao:

After our delicious Yak and Yeti lunch, we decided to head out and go back to the room for a rest. On the way out of Animal Kingdom, we stopped for some Photopass pictures!

2u5xdm8.jpg

1zntnqc.jpg

2e6dhu8.jpg

260g2o7.jpg

Photo shoot complete, we headed back to the room. After a short rest, we were off to our second park of the day. We were headed back to Epcot! The night before, M had mentioned that they were doing a soft opening of F&W. It was Friday night, but we thought since F&W wasn't supposed to open until the next day that the park may not be too crowded. We arrived and stopped for more Photopass pictures! :rotfl: (What can I say? I paid for it and I wanted to get a good value!)

10xrbdz.jpg

Then we headed over to the Land and took turns riding Soarin'. Soarin' is one of my favorite rides at Disney. I could ride it over and over again and never get tired of it! While my parents rode, DH and I took Luke over to Living with the Land.

nn5isl.jpg

This ride is seriously underrated in my opinion. We love this ride and do it at least once every trip (but usually more! :lmao:). Then we rode Soarin' and my parents took Luke back on Living with the Land! He really seemed interested in everything in here and enjoyed looking around. After a couple rides, it was time to walk over to F&W!

2m3fl7o.jpg

Caught the monorail in this one! :)

21nf8n4.jpg

Up next: our first taste of F&W!

The water parks are a good idea. We have never used the water parks option because or seems like we always have plenty to fill our days with just the 4 main parks. How many water park days do you get with that option?

Being English, we love the water parks as we don't have any good ones here! We've scheduled 2 into our 2 week vacation, but knowing my family we will go at least 3 times!!! But we use to do both TL and BB but we now only do BB!!!

I don't blame you, PP is expensive so you're right to make the most of it!
So cute that Luke loved and was constantly interested in The Land!

I just found your trip report and I'm all caught up :) I think your pictures may have convinced me that POR would be worth trying! I can't imagine going on vacation with such a little baby. You are brave! Your son is absolutely adorable :goodvibes

Joining in! Love the report so far! :thumbsup2

You are braver than I, taking a WDW trip during maternity leave. I'm doing a "baby's first trip" report now too, but we waited until our baby was almost an entire year older than yours to go. :rotfl:

I have heard, as you've mentioned, that they are very easy to transport and go with the flow pretty well at that age, though. Fortunately, I found our DD to be pretty easy at 14 months too, so we were lucky. I can relate to the slower touring pace you experienced, by the way. Babies really change things! :goodvibes

Looking forward to more!

Being English, we love the water parks as we don't have any good ones here! We've scheduled 2 into our 2 week vacation, but knowing my family we will go at least 3 times!!! But we use to do both TL and BB but we now only do BB!!!

I don't blame you, PP is expensive so you're right to make the most of it!
So cute that Luke loved and was constantly interested in The Land!

Good to know! We will be sure to try BB if we are only going to do one!

I just found your trip report and I'm all caught up :) I think your pictures may have convinced me that POR would be worth trying! I can't imagine going on vacation with such a little baby. You are brave! Your son is absolutely adorable :goodvibes

Thank you so much! POR is definitely worth a stay. The resort was beautiful and the room was very nice. And I loved basically having a pool to ourselves (even though we only went there a couple times).

Joining in! Love the report so far! :thumbsup2

You are braver than I, taking a WDW trip during maternity leave. I'm doing a "baby's first trip" report now too, but we waited until our baby was almost an entire year older than yours to go. :rotfl:

I have heard, as you've mentioned, that they are very easy to transport and go with the flow pretty well at that age, though. Fortunately, I found our DD to be pretty easy at 14 months too, so we were lucky. I can relate to the slower touring pace you experienced, by the way. Babies really change things! :goodvibes

Looking forward to more!

Thank you! I'm glad to have you along! I have actually already been reading your trip report. It caught my eye since it was a "baby's first trip" report! I think all ages have unique challenges, but I did think there were definitely benefits to this age!

hello! Joining in - though needing to catchup

Very interested to hear how everything went. We took my first daughter when she was 8mo old and it worked out great! She had a blast and while she probably doesn't remember it she loves looking at the photos from the trip (she turned 5 today)

I am also very interested as we are currently expecting our third child and are contemplating a trip this coming August when said child (DTBD) will be about 6 weeks old ... I am taking as much time off from work as I can and that would be the last week (I got an extra 4 weeks to use this year for hitting 10 years with my company)

So a little nervous about that but having such a great trip with my first child is encouraging us ... but definitely want to learn from your experience

Ok onto TR comments ....

Luke is such a cutie - such big, blue, alert eyes!

yeah for heavy dining info! We were there this past F&WF so looking forward to seeing if you hit all the booths - we definitely didn't as the crowds the first day we went were crazy!

Glad the nursing worked out for you and your got comfortable with it. My DW was still nursing our DD her first trip ... that kid got nursed on Pirates, and Living with the Land, It's a Small World - basically if there was a boat involved she got nursed on it :rotfl:

Sorry your travel plans didn't totally work out and that you missed Wishes ... but at least you arrived safe! :thumbsup2

I don't know what the issue was ... you clearly requested a room with one fridge and they did not have any rooms left that had one fridge in it - next time you should request "at least one fridge" ;)

The room decor is really nice - looks rustic but not tooooo rustic. We've stayed at French Quarter before, but never Riverside.

Wow - that's so funny that you and your friends wound up with rooms right next to each other!

Good planning for BOG ... always nice when a plan comes together! We felt the exact same way - the "gray stuff" was good but nothing special and that the triple chocolate cupcake was much better

you got some great family Photopass pics out front of AK!

can't wait for more updates ... especially now that you are getting to the F&WF

hello! Joining in - though needing to catchup

Very interested to hear how everything went. We took my first daughter when she was 8mo old and it worked out great! She had a blast and while she probably doesn't remember it she loves looking at the photos from the trip (she turned 5 today)

I am also very interested as we are currently expecting our third child and are contemplating a trip this coming August when said child (DTBD) will be about 6 weeks old ... I am taking as much time off from work as I can and that would be the last week (I got an extra 4 weeks to use this year for hitting 10 years with my company)

So a little nervous about that but having such a great trip with my first child is encouraging us ... but definitely want to learn from your experience

Glad to have you along! My main reason for starting this trip report was to commemorate my son's first trip, but the second purpose was to let people know that a trip with a young baby can be both doable and enjoyable.

Ok onto TR comments ....

Luke is such a cutie - such big, blue, alert eyes!

Thank you! We love those beautiful blue eyes! He has always been so alert, even as a newborn. We only got one sleeping newborn picture because he was always wide awake looking around! :lmao:

yeah for heavy dining info! We were there this past F&WF so looking forward to seeing if you hit all the booths - we definitely didn't as the crowds the first day we went were crazy!

Stayed tuned to see how it went...

Glad the nursing worked out for you and your got comfortable with it. My DW was still nursing our DD her first trip ... that kid got nursed on Pirates, and Living with the Land, It's a Small World - basically if there was a boat involved she got nursed on it :rotfl:

Same here! The Baby Care Centers are great, but not always convenient. I will do a separate post r/t nursing for those interested.

Sorry your travel plans didn't totally work out and that you missed Wishes ... but at least you arrived safe! :thumbsup2

I don't know what the issue was ... you clearly requested a room with one fridge and they did not have any rooms left that had one fridge in it - next time you should request "at least one fridge" ;)

Bwahahaha!

The room decor is really nice - looks rustic but not tooooo rustic. We've stayed at French Quarter before, but never Riverside.

Wow - that's so funny that you and your friends wound up with rooms right next to each other!

Good planning for BOG ... always nice when a plan comes together! We felt the exact same way - the "gray stuff" was good but nothing special and that the triple chocolate cupcake was much better

you got some great family Photopass pics out front of AK!

can't wait for more updates ... especially now that you are getting to the F&WF

Thanks for joining in! Glad to have you!

When I left off, we were heading into World Showcase for our first taste of F&W. We were full of adrenaline and ready to eat. Our Yak and Yeti lunch had worn off and we were hungry! Luke was excited too!

2jaka4h.jpg

As I previously mentioned, M had been to a soft opening of F&W the night before that was lightly populated, so we were hoping for the same this night. Unfortunately, we thought the festival didn't open officially until the next night (Saturday), but it was actually the day we were there (Friday). So we accidently went on opening day! We were still thinking it may not be too bad....

but we were wrong!

nyxtgi.jpg

This is a photo my mom took of the traffic through the World Showcase. :eek: But we went on in anyway. Since we were hoping to hit all the booths, we started at the first one we came to - the Refreshment Port. Nothing that exciting here, but in the interest of trying something from each booth, we ordered...

rbdxt3.jpg

the Fried Shrimp with Dole Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce.

This was actually really good! It was fairly basic fried shrimp, but it was served hot and was delicious. I really enjoyed the pineapple sauce!

Next stop was to visit our neighbors to the North. Canada, eh? I have actually had the privilege of travelling to Canada and it is quite beautiful, just like this pavilion. This was one of the booths I was most excited about, since we had a Le Cellier reservation later in the trip. DH and I got the "Le Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce. My parents got both the filet and the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup.

2igdrfa.jpg

My parents really enjoyed both their items. I don't know if our filet just wasn't as good as theirs, but I just wasn't overly impressed with this. It was good, but it wasn't the magnificent thing I have heard described on the DIS. After this, I started wondering if I wanted to keep our Le Cellier reservation and if we did, did I still want to order this? (You will have wait to find out!)

Our next stop was in Ireland for the Lobster and Seafood Fisherman's Pie. Each couple got one to share.

t65xtc.jpg

We all agreed that this was kind of meh. Not bad, but not great either. Definitely the worst item so far.

Now here is where things kind of fell apart. If you have been reading along, you probably remember that we are going on a poor night's sleep. It is HOT with all the grills going and people crammed in like sardines. The lines are terrible. We are all hungry, and it is obvious we are not going to get full at F&W this way. Luke is starting to get crabby. And then it starts to rain! :( We are getting crabby too, and everyone is getting a little snippy with each other. We had wandered close to France at this point, so we decide to get out of the rain and get something to eat at Boulangerie Patisserie. I had the brie aux pommes (brie and apple) sandwich with an apple turnover. DH had the turkey and bacon baguette (as did my mom) with the Duo au chocolat. My dad had the cheese plate and he and my mom both had the raspberry trifle for dessert. Again, only my mom took photos. (Sorry!)

2rcsri1.jpg

Here are my parents' meals.

I went ahead and nursed Luke while everyone else ate. Then DH took him so I could eat. All the food was really good, although the apple turnover was definitely the dud of the desserts. Both the other two were much better! By the time we were all finished, the rain had stopped. With no rain and 5 full bellies, everyone was in a better mood! Yay! So we decided to stop for Photopass pictures! (And I am so glad we did, as these are my favorites from the trip.)

znt307.jpg

1t66f4.jpg

2uoib77.jpg

jj041f.jpg

Since it was obvious we weren't going to be doing any more F&W that night, we decided to just head back to the resort. But on the way over the bridge near France I realized that it was getting close to time for Illuminations. I mentioned staying and watching, and everyone was agreeable to that plan! :thumbsup2 My parents decided to just sit and wait, but Luke was only content if we were moving. So my parents found a bench, and we went to walk around a little. I had used FP+ to book us a reserved spot for Illuminations, so I told my parents we would meet them in there when it was time. DH and I had just planned to walk around, but when we got to Spaceship Earth there was no line! Unable to pass that up, we walked in and got right on the ride.

2he8y0n.jpg

This is another ride I think is underrated! I really love this ride and always enjoy seeing our future. We actually try to make choices opposite of what we actually like to try to get different futures each time. :rotfl:

Once we got off the ride, they were turning off the lights for Illuminations so we rushed over to join my parents. But we couldn't find them! We looked and looked behind the building where the FP+ viewing area was supposed to be. Except that in the dark, we had gone to the wrong building! So we hurried over to the next building and found them. Illuminations had already started by the time we got there, but we were able to enjoy most of it as a family!

mihvfo.jpg

vqpcso.jpg

We didn't know how Luke would do (especially with the loud noises), but he was so interested!

fw3cx1.jpg

This is one of my favorite memories of this trip - even thinking back on it makes my eyes well up. Just standing there with my family, watching my son enjoy his first fireworks show...it was amazing. Disney magic at its finest. :cloud9:

After the show we walked out of the park (actually I think I floated). My dad wanted to stop to look in a shop along the way. We wondered what was taking him such a long time. It turns out he was buying this....

s2s48g.jpg

which he gave to us on Christmas! :lovestruc

On the way out of the park we stopped for more Photopass pictures! (But I bet you already guessed that!)

6pu71s.jpg

34dfwv5.jpg

Then we headed back to POR and got settled into bed for the night. But not before we gave Luke a bath!

11sh8uo.jpg

The bathtub was just too big, so we cushioned the sink with a towel and used it instead. ;)

Next update: Day 3 - What does it have in store for us? Where will we dine? Will we ever get to DHS? Will we brave F&W again?

Following along....
So many updates.....yay..
Hoping to stay at POR for our next trip. Glad you had a great experience.

Following along....
So many updates.....yay..
Hoping to stay at POR for our next trip. Glad you had a great experience.

Thanks for following! We loved POR. Now I don't know if I would want to stay somewhere else. You know when the first thing you try at a restaurant is awesome, then you order the same thing each time? Everything else may be awesome too, but the original thing was so good that you don't want to change and be disappointed. It's like that! :lmao:

Great update! Wow, F&W opening night crowds! :eek: I've always heard that weekends are crazy, but opening weekend looks insane. Too bad it wasn't still the soft opening. You still did good at hitting a few booths, though. Too bad the Fisherman's Pie wasn't good. I'm not a seafood person, so I haven't tried it, but my DH LOVED it in 2010 and 2011. Maybe they've changed it up since then. :confused3 Glad you were able to salvage the night that was starting to go bad. Getting out of the rain and crowds and filling the bellies was a good plan. :thumbsup2 Nice Photopass pictures! Glad you got to watch Illuminations as a family and have that special moment together. :sad1: So sweet! Love the bath in the sink! I guess I've already forgotten how tiny they start out! Oh, also nice ornament. We saw that and some other "baby's first Christmas" ones, but it wasn't our baby's first Christmas, so we were hoping to find "baby's first trip" and had no luck. There were several adorable first Christmas ones, though, and that is one of them!

Great update! Wow, F&W opening night crowds! :eek: I've always heard that weekends are crazy, but opening weekend looks insane. Too bad it wasn't still the soft opening. You still did good at hitting a few booths, though.

Yes, opening night crowds were awful. Every line was completely full. By the time you got through a line your snack from the last line had already worn off and you were starving again! :lmao:

Too bad the Fisherman's Pie wasn't good. I'm not a seafood person, so I haven't tried it, but my DH LOVED it in 2010 and 2011. Maybe they've changed it up since then. :confused3

I don't know. I had heard good things about it too. Maybe since it was so busy they had pre-made it and it got yucky under the heat lamp?

Glad you were able to salvage the night that was starting to go bad. Getting out of the rain and crowds and filling the bellies was a good plan. :thumbsup2 Nice Photopass pictures! Glad you got to watch Illuminations as a family and have that special moment together. :sad1: So sweet! Love the bath in the sink! I guess I've already forgotten how tiny they start out!

Me too! I just went to visit a friend's newborn and I had already forgotten that Luke was ever that small!

Oh, also nice ornament. We saw that and some other "baby's first Christmas" ones, but it wasn't our baby's first Christmas, so we were hoping to find "baby's first trip" and had no luck. There were several adorable first Christmas ones, though, and that is one of them!

We really love this one as Dumbo was and is my favorite Disney movie! (We actually used a Dumbo quote on his birth announcements!) We were so touched he bought this for us, especially since my mom is usually the sentimental gift-giver.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter