Coming to America... and Heading Straight to Orlando! A June 2016 PTR

THE SURPRISE GOODIE BAGS & THE FIRST DAY ON THE ROAD

Greetings all. Just got back from a quick weekend trip to Naples - my first FL gulf beach and it did not disappoint! I'm so excited to go back to FL in June. Remind me why we don't all live in FL again? Also, my boyfriend's aunt offered to let us stay at her house in Clearwater while we're there! How unbelievably generous! I'm not sure if we'll take her up on the offer or not. It would save us money of course, but we'd want to deep clean the house once we left and I don't know if we'd honestly have the time. Anyway, onto the first day on the road.:bounce:

We plan on leaving Sunday, June 12th at 5:00am. Maybe sooner if we have an early night on Saturday. Once we pile into the car, I plan on surprising the boys with goodie bags (or is it goody? I never know!) with some treats that will make the road trip a bit more bearable. My Amazon cart is full of ideas but I may just end up making a Target/Dollar Store/Five Below run.

Inside the bags I may be putting:

Side note: I am contemplating getting a set of pins for the boys so they can participate in pin trading - it will definitely help Q work on and become more confident with his English. I was thinking a lot of 10-20 would be plenty. But with only 1 day at a Disney park, I'm not sure if it's worth it - I do wish Universal parks did this - it seems like a lot of fun. Anyone have any experience with pin trading?

Sunday traffic shouldn't be too bad, but I want to be past Richmond, VA before we make our first stop - who knows how long we'll be able to go. Any reminders on which fast food places do breakfast? No Chik-fil-a because it's Sunday :sad: and I've heard iffy things about Taco Bell breakfast. Besides McD's I honestly can't think of anything:confused3... maybe we'll end up at a Waffle House or IHOP if we're making decent time and feel like a sit-down meal.

I hope we only have to make short stops for bathroom breaks. And maybe a short stop somewhere in North or South Carolina to let the kids stretch their legs a bit. Lunch should be packed in a cooler in the car and can be eaten in the car. It'll be simple sandwiches, fruits, veggie sticks, etc. but if the kids want a picnic lunch, we can totally do that too.

And by 5 or 6pm (hopefully) we'll arrive at our hotel. We have a reservation at a Hampton Inn and Suites off of I-95 and we'll check-in and head downtown for some dinner and exploring. I would LOVE to be able to show the boys the ocean (and waves!) once in Savannah but I have no concept at all as to how far it is. I'm assuming Tybee island is the place to go, but any suggestions or recommendations would be so appreciated. We're not planning on swimming - just physically seeing the ocean and waves - maybe dipping our feet.

Once in Savannah we'll eat wherever the clan feels up to eating. We may very well do Vinnie's for pizza (thanks again for the recommendation, pepperandchips!) or try someplace for fried chicken - maybe Treylor Park or Pirate's House.

Hopefully we get back to the hotel at a decent time because we're waking up bright and early to head down to.... Orlando!:yay:

Your plan is coming together!!

Glad you enjoyed Naples, looks beautiful too..........

I'm sure I've seen people talk about pin trading at Universal too.......maybe someone will chip in and confirm or tell me I'm hallucinating.......lol.........

Out of your food choices for breakfast........IHOP every time..........:thumbsup2

I'd get them some pins to trade just about every CM has them and some only trade with children

lots of families do that with the CM/cast member for the disney parks.

the TM/team members at universal, don't all have pins to trade.
probably the best place to find a TM working in the park shops for trading pins.
or the outdoor pinstands in the parks.

Your plan is coming together!!

Glad you enjoyed Naples, looks beautiful too..........

I'm sure I've seen people talk about pin trading at Universal too.......maybe someone will chip in and confirm or tell me I'm hallucinating.......lol.........

Out of your food choices for breakfast........IHOP every time..........:thumbsup2

IHOP could very well end up winning out!

I'd get them some pins to trade just about every CM has them and some only trade with children

Yeah, I think I may just go ahead and get them some. Maybe only a lot of 10 or something. If they show no interest, no biggie!

lots of families do that with the CM/cast member for the disney parks.

the TM/team members at universal, don't all have pins to trade.
probably the best place to find a TM working in the park shops for trading pins.
or the outdoor pinstands in the parks.

Thanks for the tip! We'll keep an eye out for those TMs. If the boys enjoy it at Disney, they can do it in Universal too!:yay:

Great updates so far.....you've got an excellent grasp on your plans!

I will also vote for IHOP, their breakfast is just so good. Steak & Shake does a great, ridiculously cheap breakfast too, and would be a much MUCH better alternative to McDonalds. We much preferred the Steak & Shake breakfast to Chick-fil-a and there was precious little difference in price.

i have been going thru the stickies in the 4 forums i deal with and presently working on the sticky of UNIVERSAL FAQ'S that was started by YaytezIOA 9 years back.
i am doing updates to make them current for readers.
He started the thread in Feb 2007 and somethings have changed or have been added to universal.

Little by little i am updating...and made note of that on the top of that sticky.

on the first page of introductions, he mentions the pin trading at universal.

Does Universal do Pin collecting like Disney?
A: Ahh, Pin Collecting. Pin Collecting is an art form at Disney. They have shops with just pins, they have places to stop and trade with your fellow pinheads, and even the cast members will trade with you. While they do have pins at Universal, its not promoted like it is at Disney. They do sell pins in all of their major shops, if an employee has pins, they are more than happy to trade with you, bit its not a big commodity at Universal as it is at Disney. Why? I dont know. But I personally dont care for pins......I'm more interested in the rides shows and attractions myself.

I have noticed in these past few years the cart pin TM's are more apt to trade with the guests in the parks.
Same thing for the TM's in the large stores near the front of the park.

I do see more pin carts in the parks and at the main merch stores in both parks.
There is a good possibility that trading pins with TM's are becoming more popular.

I don't do the pin trading as i buy many each trip.
presently have 100's of them.
I'm into the penny and quarter pressed coins for characters and park

Any idea how far the beach is from downtown Savannah? Since the later half of the trip will be in Clearwater, I think it would be fun for the boys to see the actual ocean waves. Is it a quick and doable drive?

Agree with previous poster that Tybee would be a great evening stop for you guys! It's not far from Savannah and there are actually some good restaurants and a very cute, walkable town area. If you like seafood check out AJ's dockside. But I stand by the pizza recommendation in actual Savannah if you don't end up hungry down at the beach. ::yes::

Side note: I am contemplating getting a set of pins for the boys so they can participate in pin trading - it will definitely help Q work on and become more confident with his English. I was thinking a lot of 10-20 would be plenty. But with only 1 day at a Disney park, I'm not sure if it's worth it - I do wish Universal parks did this - it seems like a lot of fun. Anyone have any experience with pin trading?

20 (ten per boy) would be AMPLE. We actually did our first pin trading this past weekend! Both me and my sister have lanyards and pins we like to wear at the parks. We ordered a lot of random pins from eBay (I had eBay bucks to use up, so the pins ended up being free to me) and have since added a couple of purchased pins for "special" attractions/characters we like. My sister has the "cats" pin set and I have some of my favorite attraction pins and we don't trade those, but we did find some in the eBay lot to keep and plenty to trade. We made friends with an 8 year old birthday boy in line at Epcot and he traded with us. It was really fun! There are also CMs out with rolling "trash cans" covered in pins and pin boards set out all over the place it seemed like this last time.

Loving the plans! Keep em coming!

Great updates so far.....you've got an excellent grasp on your plans!

I will also vote for IHOP, their breakfast is just so good. Steak & Shake does a great, ridiculously cheap breakfast too, and would be a much MUCH better alternative to McDonalds. We much preferred the Steak & Shake breakfast to Chick-fil-a and there was precious little difference in price.

Thanks Gina :hug:. I've never ever planned a trip with kids - and won't be having my own for a while now - so reading the boards have been so helpful. Also, I have never been to a Steak & Shake in my life... they don't exist in the DC area. I will definitely try to stop if/when we see one along the way!

i have been going thru the stickies in the 4 forums i deal with and presently working on the sticky of UNIVERSAL FAQ'S that was started by YaytezIOA 9 years back.
i am doing updates to make them current for readers.
He started the thread in Feb 2007 and somethings have changed or have been added to universal.

Little by little i am updating...and made note of that on the top of that sticky.

on the first page of introductions, he mentions the pin trading at universal.

Does Universal do Pin collecting like Disney?
A: Ahh, Pin Collecting. Pin Collecting is an art form at Disney. They have shops with just pins, they have places to stop and trade with your fellow pinheads, and even the cast members will trade with you. While they do have pins at Universal, its not promoted like it is at Disney. They do sell pins in all of their major shops, if an employee has pins, they are more than happy to trade with you, bit its not a big commodity at Universal as it is at Disney. Why? I dont know. But I personally dont care for pins......I'm more interested in the rides shows and attractions myself.

I have noticed in these past few years the cart pin TM's are more apt to trade with the guests in the parks.
Same thing for the TM's in the large stores near the front of the park.

I do see more pin carts in the parks and at the main merch stores in both parks.
There is a good possibility that trading pins with TM's are becoming more popular.

I don't do the pin trading as i buy many each trip.
presently have 100's of them.
I'm into the penny and quarter pressed coins for characters and park

Glad it's a sticky :thumbsup2 The boys may be into the pressed pennies, too (I know I loved them when I was a kid). I know I got one at Big Thunder Railroad when I was 8. No clue where it is now though:confused:

Agree with previous poster that Tybee would be a great evening stop for you guys! It's not far from Savannah and there are actually some good restaurants and a very cute, walkable town area. If you like seafood check out AJ's dockside. But I stand by the pizza recommendation in actual Savannah if you don't end up hungry down at the beach. ::yes::

20 (ten per boy) would be AMPLE. We actually did our first pin trading this past weekend! Both me and my sister have lanyards and pins we like to wear at the parks. We ordered a lot of random pins from eBay (I had eBay bucks to use up, so the pins ended up being free to me) and have since added a couple of purchased pins for "special" attractions/characters we like. My sister has the "cats" pin set and I have some of my favorite attraction pins and we don't trade those, but we did find some in the eBay lot to keep and plenty to trade. We made friends with an 8 year old birthday boy in line at Epcot and he traded with us. It was really fun! There are also CMs out with rolling "trash cans" covered in pins and pin boards set out all over the place it seemed like this last time.

Loving the plans! Keep em coming!

Wow, lots of love for the pizza place in Savannah! Terrific! Yes, Tybee is sounding like a good choice. We'll have to check it out for a bit. And thank you for the seafood place at Tybee... I do love seafood but not sure about the boys. I guess we'll wait and see! Also 3 cheers for daylight savings! I love those long summer days.. I'm hoping it'll still be light out around 7ish by the time we make it to Tybee

Glad to hear you enjoyed pin trading! I'm definitely going to get a lot. Do you mind sharing who you purchased from on ebay? I know there's a thread with reputable sellers but it's quite the overwhelming thread to sort through. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Gina :hug:. I've never ever planned a trip with kids - and won't be having my own for a while now - so reading the boards have been so helpful. Also, I have never been to a Steak & Shake in my life... they don't exist in the DC area. I will definitely try to stop if/when we see one along the way!

We don't have them here at home in Canada, either. I really think you'll like it, though! The value can't be beat....and their shakes are TO DIE for!

ROADTRIP: DAY 2 AND ARRIVAL!

I'm hoping the whole crew wakes up around 6am at our hotel in Savannah, GA. We'll eat a quick breakfast at the hotel (I don't believe breakfast is included) of cereal, fruit, etc. before hitting the road once again. We may stop for bathroom breaks or at the Florida border for a free glass of OJ. But it's a 4 hour drive to Orlando and I'm hoping it'll be speedy enough. Hopefully we'll arrive at the Royal Pacific by 11:00am - accounting for traffic and stops. We'll try to check-in but if we can't no worries - a week or so before we arrive I'll call and make a request for early check-in. I just sent out an email to RPR asking for an upgraded room in Tower 1 and got a speedy reply from the concierge staff - within the hour I sent it! I'm so impressed already!

We'll make sure to have a pool bag separate from our other luggage (*note to self: remind Sus of this*) and we'll either go check out the pool, or make a run for groceries if needed (which I'm guessing we won't need since we plan on bringing the snacks from DC). Either way, we'll definitely lounge while the boys enjoy the pool. Anyone have kids at RPR - did they enjoy it? Does the pool have slides (I think not)? Or we may pool hop but I sort of doubt anyone will want to or care. We'll want to be mucho take-it-easy today and just rest up. We'll unpack our bags (somewhat - we may not end up fully unpacking since we're only there for 3 nights) and just soak in the resort.

At night we're going to check out CityWalk and take the water taxi over. I'm thinking either CowFish for bento boxes, Margaritaville (for ambiance... the last time I ate at one was at the airport in Jamaica and I don't remember it being terrific), Hard Rock or Emeril's. The boys and Sus have never been to any of them anywhere in the world. I am, however, leaning towards CowFish. The boys can try their first sushi! But if you have a favorite and think I'm crazy for not including it as an option, let me know!

We'll walk around CityWalk a bit - anyone know if there's an arcade? I'm sure they're in the parks and I know about DisneyQuest, but I'm hoping we can take the boys to play at one close by. If not, I can always take them to Dave & Busters some other time :rolleyes1 If we're all tired, we'll head back to the hotel and crash for the night.... tomorrow is Magic Kingdom!

Question: We're only doing 1 Disney park - are Magic Bands worth getting? What do you put your FP+ on if not the Magic Bands - cards? Does that take additional time to sort out day-of if Magic Bands aren't purchased? We're trying to do an early MK day and I'd hate to waste our morning by trying to figure this all out. Thank you all as always! :love2:

Don't remember if there is an arcade in city walk, but there is one near the mummy area at the studios

I just listened to the Dis Unplugged Universal podcast for Royal Pacific again yesterday since that's where we're staying in April. I believe the gang said there were no slides at the RPR pool but that the kids there were having a BLAST. Something about a pirate ship with water canons?! pirate:

They also said there was "a sad little arcade" at the resort. It might be worth checking out, especially since it may be easier to tear the kids away from a smallish arcade than a full blown Dave and Busters!

leaning towards CowFish. The boys can try their first sushi!

Great pick! This place is vibrant, fun, casual, and modern. In addition to the delicious sushi there are plenty of burgers (and I believe non-beef options in the sandwich arena as well) to choose from. Lots to look at and enjoy.

Question: We're only doing 1 Disney park - are Magic Bands worth getting? What do you put your FP+ on if not the Magic Bands - cards? Does that take additional time to sort out day-of if Magic Bands aren't purchased?

Personally I would not spend the money to purchase Magic Bands for only one day at Disney. They are convenient since you don't have to dig anything out of pockets but for the same price as a magic band (actually a bit less if memory serves) you can get a lanyard at Universal, which will be handy for the Universal Express Passes, your park tickets, room keys, (credit cards and cash for you and Sus), etc. Over at Disney you can just stash your cards in the lanyards and use them at the tapstiles. The Disney tickets now are housed on RFID chips inside a plastic card like a room key. You tap your ticket/card against a rounded Mickey head tapstile for park entry as well as fast pass line admittance and again toward the front of the queue just before boarding ride vehicles. Magic Bands and all your RFID cards are interchangeable - they all work the same at the park entrance and Fastpass kiosks and entry points. I would just get the cards that come with your tickets loaded on them and not worry about the Magic Bands. If the kids ask about others with Magic Bands I would explain that you guys got cool lanyards instead. The lanyards at Universal come in so many choices - Seuss, Minions, Simpsons, Harry Potter, Universal Parks, etc. that they're easier to personalize (in my opinion). If those are one of the boys' first souvenirs you will definitely get your moneys' worth!!!

the sad little arcade is usually nearly full when i walk by it in the evenings.

yes, that is correct that no slide at rpr.

I just listened to the Dis Unplugged Universal podcast for Royal Pacific again yesterday since that's where we're staying in April. I believe the gang said there were no slides at the RPR pool but that the kids there were having a BLAST. Something about a pirate ship with water canons?! pirate:

They also said there was "a sad little arcade" at the resort. It might be worth checking out, especially since it may be easier to tear the kids away from a smallish arcade than a full blown Dave and Busters!

Great pick! This place is vibrant, fun, casual, and modern. In addition to the delicious sushi there are plenty of burgers (and I believe non-beef options in the sandwich arena as well) to choose from. Lots to look at and enjoy.

Personally I would not spend the money to purchase Magic Bands for only one day at Disney. They are convenient since you don't have to dig anything out of pockets but for the same price as a magic band (actually a bit less if memory serves) you can get a lanyard at Universal, which will be handy for the Universal Express Passes, your park tickets, room keys, (credit cards and cash for you and Sus), etc. Over at Disney you can just stash your cards in the lanyards and use them at the tapstiles. The Disney tickets now are housed on RFID chips inside a plastic card like a room key. You tap your ticket/card against a rounded Mickey head tapstile for park entry as well as fast pass line admittance and again toward the front of the queue just before boarding ride vehicles. Magic Bands and all your RFID cards are interchangeable - they all work the same at the park entrance and Fastpass kiosks and entry points. I would just get the cards that come with your tickets loaded on them and not worry about the Magic Bands. If the kids ask about others with Magic Bands I would explain that you guys got cool lanyards instead. The lanyards at Universal come in so many choices - Seuss, Minions, Simpsons, Harry Potter, Universal Parks, etc. that they're easier to personalize (in my opinion). If those are one of the boys' first souvenirs you will definitely get your moneys' worth!!!

Yes, perfect! Pirate ship and water cannons sounds like so, so much fun! And totally on point about the sad little arcade. That just may be the trick... they've never seen a big huge arcade type place so they won't know any different. :joker:

Glad to hear you speak so positively of CowFish!

As for Magic Bands, that you SO much for sharing your thoughts - it's so good to hear your perspective. I do plan to gift the boys and Sus with lanyards in the goodie bag on the drive down so no need for the bands! When you buy Disney tickets, do the cards get sent to your house like the bands? Are they easy to link up to your FP+ reservations online?

Side note: We haven't purchased tickets yet (I know, I know, prices went up and we missed out :sad2:). But they're non-refundable and I just want to make sure Sus has her visa in hand. 15 more days until her visa appointment!!! :dogdance:

the sad little arcade is usually nearly full when i walk by it in the evenings.

yes, that is correct that no slide at rpr.

Thanks for the info as always! :flower1:

Nice little update........hope your friend gets her visa with no issues..........

Yes, that's a good description of the little arcade.........years ago my DS loved the air hockey table, but haven't gone in there for years.......it's well used by little ones though.......

No slide which I'm glad about........makes it more peaceful for an oldie like me.......the water play is fun though in the RP pool........

I will also thoroughly recommend Cowfish..........nice atmosphere too and we are also fans of Margaritaville despite a big cut in the menu few years ago.......still decent though......something for most people....even the fussiest of folks..........also don't discount Orchids Sushi lounge at night........I actually think their sushi is better than Cowfish, and I did like Cowfish Sushi. There is a small other menu that doesn't include sushi, not huge but there's a burger in there too and it comes from Jake's Bar downstairs.........very nice!!

The pirate ship is my boys' favorite! When you get your towels, you can also request pool toys/noodles!
However, the RP arcade was expensive and most of the games were down when we went. My boys did enjoy the arcade next the The Mummy in US and the Kingpin arcade (Marvel area, IoA)

I haven't tried Cowfish yet. We always go to Margaritaville on our first night (tradition :) ) We enjoy the music and sitting on the "porch" to eat. Also, they sometimes have a stilt-walker hanging around that makes balloon animals/items for kids. JMO

When you buy Disney tickets, do the cards get sent to your house like the bands? Are they easy to link up to your FP+ reservations online?

I believe you have this option - I have not purchased regular tickets in the last couple of years, I've only done Christmas and Halloween party tickets but with those I had the choice of an electronic ticket I could print and take to will-call or have them mail me physical tickets, which are the plastic RFID cards. I went with that option but either way you will get physical plastic cards, it's just a question of when they're in your actual possession.

Very easy to link to the My Disney Experience account online and once you have tickets linked you can make FastPass+ reservations up to 30 days out. So if you buy the tickets in April and have them mailed to you, you can make the fastpass+ choices in May when you're at 30 days from your MK day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter