Coming to America... and Heading Straight to Orlando! A June 2016 PTR

tortilla24

Mouseketeer
Hi All! Thanks to all of you who want to join in on the fun! I'm new here and this is my first ever PTR but I've been stalking the boards and reading reports for about a month now so I hope this will be a fun read-a-long.

The WHO and the WHY:
You can call me Tortilla. I live in the DC area and have been to Orlando three times in my life. I really enjoy theme parks but because Orlando is a bit far, I haven't been down since I was 15 years old.

BUT I have some incredible friends coming to visit the US and we decided to plan a trip to some Orlando parks! Now onto the other cast members....

First up is Sus... mother of 3 boys (bless her) and lives overseas (in the Middle East). She's a family therapist and does SO much good in the community she works in, working with refugees. She deserves this trip more than anyone I know. She's been to the US many times but this will be her first time coming for a pure vacation... and she's here for a month! :flower:

Next up is O, her 14 year old son. He's a delight and a total foodie (after my own heart!) and speaks English fluently and accent-less. And Q, her 8 year old who hasn't been to the US since he was an infant. Q's English education is the prime reason for the summer trip to the US! :teacher:

Neither boys have ever been to any type of theme park (seriously the parks/rides in their area are laughable) like what we have in Orlando and I'm so excited to be planning THE trip of a lifetime for them!

The WHEN:
Sus and the boys land June 10th, we have a day to rest/get last minute things, and we head to Orlando on the 12th. We'll arrive on the 13th and hit the parks from June 14-16 and then head down to Clearwater to do the beach for a quick few days (they have also never seen a beach before.. but more beach talk later). We head back to DC June 19th. A very busy and short trip, I know - but it's the best we can do while staying within budget.

The HOW:
With such limited time, surely we must be flying, right? Yeah I wish... but nope. We're driving down from DC! :drive:We're being very budget conscious here - the trip to Orlando is only 1 week out of their 4 week stay in the US so we have to save money where we can. On our trek, we'll be stopping somewhere in the middle(ish) to sleep both ways. The boys are not used to driving long distances but I'm hoping jet lag will kick in a bit to make it easier.:faint:

The WHERE:
We're staying at Loews Royal Pacific and the boys have started stalking the website and have basically died of happiness (again, they've never seen anything like this so they're basically going to be giddy the entire time... it's made me giddy too!). When Q saw the resort, he said he feels like a king :rolleyes:

The ITINERARY:
June 10: Sus and kids land
June 11: Shopping and trip packing/pack up car
June 12: Leave DC and drive down to Orlando, sleep in Savannah, GA
June 13: Drive from Savannah to Orlando, check into Royal Pacific - spend the day at the pools & resting up
June 14: Magic Kingdom
June 15: IOA
June 16: Universal Studios, check out & drive down to Clearwater beach/check-in
June 17 & 18: Relaxing at the beach
June 19: Leave Clearwater and drive back home, sleep in Florence, SC (tentative)
June 20: Drive from Florence to DC

Thanks for joining me on the PTR adventure - I think about our trip daily. I'm sure I'll have a ton to share and a million questions too. Sorry - I guess I don't have enough posts to be able to upload photos. Soon though!:banana:

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one Tortilla......

You have a decent plan there for your trip.......I'm sure everyone concerned will love it and have a wonderful time.........of course I'm biased about RPR.......we adore it and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Orlando!

Love Clearwater too.........it's a fun place to be based............

Awaiting more updates........:thumbsup2

What an awesome trip you have planned for your friend and her sons! I can't wait to hear about how the boys enjoy the parks....meeting the characters, riding the rides. What an incredible experience it will be for them!

Have you decided where you would like to take them to eat on your park days? Is there anywhere special that's sticking out as a must-do?

I am very much looking forward to hearing more about your plans. Bring on the next entry!

Looking forward to this one Tortilla......

You have a decent plan there for your trip.......I'm sure everyone concerned will love it and have a wonderful time.........of course I'm biased about RPR.......we adore it and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Orlando!

Love Clearwater too.........it's a fun place to be based............

Awaiting more updates........:thumbsup2
I just read your last two TRs and it truly sounds like RPR will be such a great choice! So grateful for all the food pics too (they're my fav!)

Thank you very much, that is lovely of you to say :hug: food is a major part of our trip!!!

Make sure you check out the stickies at the top of the forums........there's one specifically for food choices at US, IOA, Citywalk and the hotels too............plenty of pictures there too......some very good ones! damo keeps that thread pretty current, so menus are up to date.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have........:thumbsup2

What an awesome trip you have planned for your friend and her sons! I can't wait to hear about how the boys enjoy the parks....meeting the characters, riding the rides. What an incredible experience it will be for them!

Have you decided where you would like to take them to eat on your park days? Is there anywhere special that's sticking out as a must-do?

I am very much looking forward to hearing more about your plans. Bring on the next entry!
Thanks for following along! I can't wait to see how the boys react. Every single thing will excite them I'm sure. And O hasn't been to the US since he was 6... he remembers Chuck E. Cheese as being the best place on Earth :sad2:

I haven't thought a ton about food yet but hoping to get recommendations from the boards once the plans start coming together a bit.

As for must-do's... I haven't been in SO long so I'll need a refresher. Spiderman is a must as Q loves him and I loved the ride the last time I was there. I'd love to check out HP worlds but it would depend on how interested the kids are in HP given the crowds... I can always come back. I have very fond memories of Jurassic Park and ET so I'd like to do those too. In MK, I'm hoping to get FPs to Space Mountain, Mine Train (never been) and Splash Mountain... but also do Big Thunder and Pirates. I'm hoping to catch Magic fireworks show and illuminations - not sure if both can be done in the one night we're there or which is best to do first?

Would love to do the King Kong ride (any inside info as to whether or not it'll be open by June?).

Basically this is a trip for them so I hope to feel out their interest and jetlag once they arrive.

PREPPING FOR THE ROADTRIP & PACKING

As mentioned, we'll be driving down to Disney from the DC area in my 2013 Jetta. Fortunately, the car has less than 30,000 miles on it so I'm not worried about too many car-related disasters.

I apologize in advance - this is mostly a packing list to remind myself when the dates get closer but maybe this car list will be helpful for someone else? Anyway, in prep for the car trip, I will need to make sure to have:

• EZ Pass (won't help me past North Carolina but I need one anyway and I've been putting it off)
  • Cash (for those states down below)
  • Car charger for electronics - I know O will want to use his laptop (like this)
  • Pillows and blankets for the boys while in the car (I have pillows for them but maybe need to get some blankets)
  • A cooler to wedge in the backseat with drinks, snacks and food. A reminder to make sure I have:
    • Cucumbers
    • Pita bread, sliced bread
    • Labneh (it's a spread similar to cream cheese in texture but tastes a bit tart like yogurt) - buy from Whole Foods
    • Various Fruit (probably watermelon and bananas but watermelon may be a bad idea for small bladders!)
    • Chips
    • Peanut butter
    • Milk and cereal (but I can grab these near the hotel)
  • Siris XM Radio (a luxury and not an essential but I've been wanting to get it for a year now - no better time than a road trip)
  • Kleenex Hand Towels - if you've never used these, I highly recommend - they're between a tissue and a paper towel
  • Hand Sanitizer (this is a reminder for myself but it'd not like I can't grab it on the way if I forget)
  • Blowup bed (either I buy one from Amazon or borrow one from a friend)
Saturday, June 11th will be spent last minute shopping. I'm sure we'll be making a trip to Target and/or the grocery store. I'll let everyone pick out snacks they like (I'm sure there will be some fun American novelties they'd like to try) but I'm definitely bringing the above.

I hope to have my personal bag completely packed (I'm bringing a carry-on size rolling suitcase) before they arrive... fingers crossed that actually happens. I'll make sure to bring a pool/beach bag as my overnight bag when we stop to spend the night in Savannah - it'll double as my beach bag later in the week when we're in Clearwater. I'll loan Sus a beach bag to use as her overnight bag. I'll make sure both boys bring backpacks from home (or we can go ahead and buy them at Target) for their overnight bags.

Anything Sus and the boys don't bring we'll need to get at Target. This may or may not include:

• A bathing suit for Sus - I know we'll need to get her one
  • Shorts for Sus - I know she won't bring enough but this is also the kind of thing I'm sure she'd be happier buying here in the US
  • Comfortable walking shoes for all 3
  • Flip flops for all 3 (they'll likely have them but just in case)
  • Sunblock
  • Bug spray --> any thoughts on this? Is this really necessary? Sus is convinced that the mosquitoes are going to make her kids break out because the mosquitos are more aggressive in America lol
  • Sunglasses for the boys
  • Hats for the boys (she'll likely bring these on her own)
The car will (hopefully) be all packed up that night and all that has to happen in the AM are clothes changes and showers.

Again, sorry - I know this is really more or less a mental list for myself but I really appreciate reading other people's packing lists! Plus, we're 100+ days out... I need something to keep me busy planning.

I plan on giving everyone, yes even Sus, treat bags filled with fun things the day we hit the road. But I'll hold off to talk about those in the next post - I've already started collecting so much and I can't wait to show you.:woohoo:

And for good measure, here's a pic of Q dressed as Spidey... I got him this Morphsuit about a year ago and died laughing when I saw his tuft of hair sticking out :lmao:
FullSizeRender.jpg

Cute picture.........why do we always notice things like hair sticking out after we take the pic........lol.......

As for bug spray............never used it once in America.........never needed to.

You are organised aren't you..........

Sounds like a fun trip...I've always wanted to visit Clearwater but can't seem to tear myself away from the parks during our trips.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

I love to plan for trips too! We'll be there a couple weeks before you and really appreciate your lists and ideas. We were there last Spring and did not need bug spray while in the parks but depending on what you are doing besides the parks, you may need it.

So,excited for you, sounds like a great trip planned!

We live in north Florida and haven't seen a mosquito in years, I wouldn't worry about that.

Have you been to Savannah before? It is a beautiful place, we love it, also love Clearwater.

Cute picture.........why do we always notice things like hair sticking out after we take the pic........lol.......

As for bug spray............never used it once in America.........never needed to.

You are organised aren't you..........

I have definitely needed bug spray in certain places here in the US - the mosquitos can get hungry here in DC (I think I'm just prone to them :confused3)
I yes, I am definitely an organizer at heart and a slight planner. Usually, I don't like to over-plan vacations and prefer to be a bit more go with the flow. We'll see how that works this time around. I have no clue how the boys will even respond to the rides!

Sounds like a fun trip...I've always wanted to visit Clearwater but can't seem to tear myself away from the parks during our trips.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

Thanks for following along! The boys have never been to a beach so another first and a definite must. I also have no clue how they'll like the rides but they're kids and I'm sure they'll do just fine.

I love to plan for trips too! We'll be there a couple weeks before you and really appreciate your lists and ideas. We were there last Spring and did not need bug spray while in the parks but depending on what you are doing besides the parks, you may need it.

So fun! I think I'll pass on the bug spray and see if they end up needing it. We can always buy it at a drugstore. Thanks for joining and I'm glad my OCD lists are helpful!

So,excited for you, sounds like a great trip planned!

We live in north Florida and haven't seen a mosquito in years, I wouldn't worry about that.

Have you been to Savannah before? It is a beautiful place, we love it, also love Clearwater.

Thank you and welcome! It's been a fun trip to plan! Nope, never been to Savannah and I'm looking forward to it! Any restaurant recommendations? I'm hoping if we leave early enough, we can make it there by 4pm-ish and explore the area a bit and grab a bite.

I have never been to Clearwater either but I hear it's one of the best! Sus can't swim (hoping to have her sign up for one of the YMCA adult classes when we get back home) and Q isn't a super strong swimmer so I'm hoping the calmness of the Gulf side is a good choice. I will also inform the lifeguards of this so they can keep a watchful eye. BUT I'm freaking out a bit about the stingrays and am considering switching to the oceanside:scared:. I know about the stingray shuffle and all but with two not strong swimmers in tow, they'll need their feet on the sand at all times. But the waves can be big on the ocean side- I don't want that to scare them off.

As far as Savannah goes, I loved Mrs Wilkes but it's only open 11 till 2 pm. Loved the Lady and her sons, Paula Deans restaurant. Very nice high end restaurant is the Chart house. River Street has tons of eateries and is fun to walk. The whole area is beautiful,and there are so many parks to see I just love the place.

I think you picked the right beach. Clearwater really has CLEAR water! You can walk out neck deep and still see your toes. I have never seen stingrays while there, guess I'm lucky. We live in northeast Florida and I have seen more than my share of sharks, stingrays, manorays and jellyfish here. The surf is also MUCH rougher here.

You'll love Clearwater!

And of course the parks....

Everyone needs a friend like you Tortilla, so giving to your friends

As far as Savannah goes, I loved Mrs Wilkes but it's only open 11 till 2 pm. Loved the Lady and her sons, Paula Deans restaurant. Very nice high end restaurant is the Chart house. River Street has tons of eateries and is fun to walk. The whole area is beautiful,and there are so many parks to see I just love the place.

I think you picked the right beach. Clearwater really has CLEAR water! You can walk out neck deep and still see your toes. I have never seen stingrays while there, guess I'm lucky. We live in northeast Florida and I have seen more than my share of sharks, stingrays, manorays and jellyfish here. The surf is also MUCH rougher here.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have to do a bit more research on the menus. I know this thread is making me come off as a major planner but I'm definitely more of a go-with-the-flow vacationer. But I want to be prepared with all the first-timers with me! I'll probably have 3 different food options in mind and let them make the decision or just see how we feel.

And thanks for the confidence in Clearwater - I'm sure we'll be fine!

You'll love Clearwater!

And of course the parks....

Everyone needs a friend like you Tortilla, so giving to your friends

:hug: What a sweet thing to say - thank you! I can't wait for this trip! I took a 2 week trip to Italy with my BFF (her first time leaving the country ever) which was a ton of fun to plan, but nothing has been insanely this exciting. I think watching the kids experience everything is what will be so great! ::yes::

If your budget is tight you may find decent but more affordable sleeping quaters in Brunswick Ga not far from Savannah. That's where we stayed last trip down. Not fancy but clean and cheap

Loving your pre-trip report! So fun to join along in your excitement ahead of the trip. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time!

I'm hoping to catch Magic fireworks show and illuminations - not sure if both can be done in the one night we're there or which is best to do first?

Illuminations is a little trickier to see from outside Epcot, so unless you are splurging on park hopper tickets I would prioritize Wishes at the MK over Illuminations. Wishes can be seen easily from outside the park (and some actually prefer the view) so if you find yourself with a free evening and no tickets, you can drive to the Ticket and Transportation Center and watch the fireworks from the ferry dock. You can also see the Magic Kingdom fireworks really well from the Polynesian Resort beach - might be worth it to go there for Dole Whips or dinner and stay for fireworks. Hollywood Studios has been doing fireworks recently (not sure how long that will continue) and if they are still doing nightly fireworks in June I would recommend those over Epcot's Illuminations for seeing outside the park. You can see the Studios' fireworks pretty well from the area outside bag check or from near the Swan/Dolphin around Crescent Lake.

Thank you and welcome! It's been a fun trip to plan! Nope, never been to Savannah and I'm looking forward to it! Any restaurant recommendations? I'm hoping if we leave early enough, we can make it there by 4pm-ish and explore the area a bit and grab a bite.

City Market is a cool area in Savannah and there is a restaurant with good pizza there called Vinnie Van Go Go's. There are also some other choices nearby if your friend and her sons want American type food, I know there was a Wild Wing Cafe and there are some smaller more upscale choices in that area too. Might be less expensive than River Street, but as dsmom said above, that's a fun area to check out.

If your budget is tight you may find decent but more affordable sleeping quaters in Brunswick Ga not far from Savannah. That's where we stayed last trip down. Not fancy but clean and cheap

Not to scare anyone off but I would be very, very careful in Brunswick. It is a very cute small town but has one of
the highest crime rates in Georgia. would be very careful at night there.

Another place to check out close to Savannah is Jekyll Island, beautiful place!

We're staying at a hotel off 95 near Savannah so it's not costing too much. But never heard of Brunswick - I'll have to look into it!

Loving your pre-trip report! So fun to join along in your excitement ahead of the trip. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time!

Illuminations is a little trickier to see from outside Epcot, so unless you are splurging on park hopper tickets I would prioritize Wishes at the MK over Illuminations. Wishes can be seen easily from outside the park (and some actually prefer the view) so if you find yourself with a free evening and no tickets, you can drive to the Ticket and Transportation Center and watch the fireworks from the ferry dock. You can also see the Magic Kingdom fireworks really well from the Polynesian Resort beach - might be worth it to go there for Dole Whips or dinner and stay for fireworks. Hollywood Studios has been doing fireworks recently (not sure how long that will continue) and if they are still doing nightly fireworks in June I would recommend those over Epcot's Illuminations for seeing outside the park. You can see the Studios' fireworks pretty well from the area outside bag check or from near the Swan/Dolphin around Crescent Lake.

City Market is a cool area in Savannah and there is a restaurant with good pizza there called Vinnie Van Go Go's. There are also some other choices nearby if your friend and her sons want American type food, I know there was a Wild Wing Cafe and there are some smaller more upscale choices in that area too. Might be less expensive than River Street, but as dsmom said above, that's a fun area to check out.

Thanks for your suggestions. I actually meant the electric parade at MK and not illuminations at Epcot. But your suggestions are so helpful, thank you! I'm sure we'll be checking out city market for that pizza - the boys love it. Any idea how far the beach is from downtown Savannah? Since the later half of the trip will be in Clearwater, I think it would be fun for the boys to see the actual ocean waves. Is it a quick and doable drive?

Not to scare anyone off but I would be very, very careful in Brunswick. It is a very cute small town but has one of
the highest crime rates in Georgia. would be very careful at night there.

Another place to check out close to Savannah is Jekyll Island, beautiful place!

Eek - yeah I'm wanting to do a bit of night exploring so maybe Brunswick isn't the best option. We're staying in Florence, SC on the way back and I've heard some not-so-great things about it. I may reconsider but for the drive back home, I doubt we'll be doing much exploring and will likely just want to crash.

We're staying at a hotel off 95 near Savannah so it's not costing too much. But never heard of Brunswick - I'll have to look into it!

Thanks for your suggestions. I actually meant the electric parade at MK and not illuminations at Epcot. But your suggestions are so helpful, thank you! I'm sure we'll be checking out city market for that pizza - the boys love it. Any idea how far the beach is from downtown Savannah? Since the later half of the trip will be in Clearwater, I think it would be fun for the boys to see the actual ocean waves. Is it a quick and doable drive?

Eek - yeah I'm wanting to do a bit of night exploring so maybe Brunswick isn't the best option. We're staying in Florence, SC on the way back and I've heard some not-so-great things about it. I may reconsider but for the drive back home, I doubt we'll be doing much exploring and will likely just want to crash.

Tybee island is about a half hour away, it's real pretty and has a pier.

Florence isn't bad. It's a small town in the middle of the state, pretty much in the middle of nowhere but the town itself is not bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter