Come Obsess With Me - Going Home to the Poly, Sept 2010 - UPDATE What I Forgot...

TheNewMrsB

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! Welcome to my Pre-Trip Report! This is my first so please…be gentle with me! :)

Let me give you a little background on us:

First there’s me, Mrs. B. This will be my 4th trip to WDW. As you can see in my signature, the last 2 have been over the past 2 years with DH, and my first was 20 years prior. At that time we only stayed a few days, and off-site at that. Plus there was no DHS or AK back then – the horror! :laughing: So when we went on our honeymoon back in 2008, I truly felt as if I was seeing everything for the first time.

Then there’s my DH, aka Guitarob (you’ll see him lurking around the boards, especially on the Poly FAQ thread!). In 34 years he’s squeezed in quite a few trips to the World (I think around 15 or so?), and he considers the Polynesian his second home since he has stayed there all but once. Actually, come to think of it, I feel the same way and I’ve only been there twice! So I can only imagine the depth of feeling behind his obession…uh, I mean, affection. ;)

He’s the planner, all the way. Of course we talk…and talk…and talk some more about every aspect of the planning, but when it comes down to it and the ADR needs to be booked or a CM needs to be contacted for some reason, it’s all him. He gets a huge kick out of it.

jnr.jpg

Our dates? September 18th – 24th, 2010. We’ll be staying Club Level, Theme Park View at The Polynesian (where else?). We have the Deluxe Dining Plan (we enjoy most things food related - as I’m sure you’ll be able to see if you follow along with us!).

The 19th is our 2nd Anniversary, so this is a celebratory trip! I love wearing those buttons! :)

Our ADRs are listed below. We’ll be visiting some favorites as well as a few totally new places:

Saturday, 9/18
Dinner @ Narcoossee’s

Sunday, 9/19
Dinner @ California Grill

Monday, 9/20
Breakfast @ Poly Lounge
Lunch @ Coral Reef
Dinner @ 'Ohana

Tuesday, 9/21
Dinner @ Artist Point

Wednesday, 9/22
Dinner @ The Flying Fish Café

Thursday, 9/23
Dinner @ Yachtsman Steakhouse

Friday, 9/24
Breakfast @ ‘Ohana
Lunch @ Les Chefs de France

You’ll notice a lot of missed meals up there, namely breakfasts and lunches.

We like to have breakfast @ Kona whenever possible…chalk it up to an addiction to Tonga Toast, Macadamia Nut Pancakes and The Big Kahuna. :love: We don’t make ADR’s for these, though – we just walk up on the days we plan to eat there, since we sort of play it by ear based upon when we want to leave for the parks (like if it’s a Rope Drop day and we decide we have the energy to get up that early!). On other days we have breakfast at the Poly lounge, and if my math is correct we'll need to do that twice on this trip (I'm sure Monday will be one of those days - no way I'm ruining my appetite for Coral Reef with a big breakfast!).

We almost never schedule lunch – the only reason Coral Reef is scheduled is because we both really wanted to try it and could only get a lunch reservation. Otherwise we generally get a snack in the afternoon either with snack credits or in the lounge @ the Poly. Here's a revelation: Maybe I always gain weight on these trips because my lunches consist of oatmeal raisin cookies and goldfish crackers…hmmm… :confused3 :rotfl:

Our repeat visits will be to Narcoossee’s, Cali Grill, Kona and Yachtsman. Can’t wait to get back to them! DH has done ‘Ohana breakfast (I think?) but this will be a first for me. As for the other restaurants, we’re both really excited to try them out not only because we’ve heard great things but because we’ve never visited their resorts on our past trips. I’m looking forward to taking a look around at WL and the Boardwalk.

That’s one thing I love about WDW – there’s always something new to experience, isn’t there? DH has been there numerous times and still hasn’t seen all there is to see.

In my next installment I’ll be writing about things I’m looking forward to trying for the first time (plus a few "goals" I have in mind), and later I hope to share pictures from past trips, just to reminisce and look forward to the things we’ll be returning to! DH will be “helping me illustrate” my reports, as he puts it, so I’m hoping this will be a collaborative effort all the way!

So join me, Dis friends, as I obsess over all sorts of random things that only a fellow Dis'er would understand. As much as I can't wait for the trip to get here, I know the anticipation is a big part of the fun!

:cloud9: Only 43 days to go! :cloud9:

Oh, and I meant to mention that if anyone has any suggestions on what to check out on the Boardwalk or what to keep an eye out for at any of the restaurants we haven't been to (Artist Point, Flying Fish, Coral Reef), please feel free to share! :)

My sister and I will be at the Poly from 9/16 to 9/26. We'll be CL-GV. We did LV-CL last year...unbelievable view.:thumbsup2

As is the case with most-to-all Disney fanatics, I'm sure, there are certain things which we just have to do on each visit. For us, it's things like going to Kona for breakfast immediately upon arrival, seeing Illuminations, watching Wishes from the Polynesian, and reviewing our pictures from each day as we relax and eat cookies from the CL lounge.

However, after spending some time on these boards, there are now a bunch of other things I want to see and do!

For instance, neither one of us had any idea that there was such a large array of snacks which we could purchase with our credits! Seriously, up to now it was a bunch of giant cookies to take home. You know, the gigantic Minnie's Bakeshop cookies which pack on, like, 800 calories a pop. Needless to say, we're pretty enthused at the thought of not squeezing 10,000 calories . So I really want to try different snacks, like a sweet pretzel from Norway and a chocolate mousse from France (any other suggestions, fellow DISers?) :love:

I'd really like to pick out my own oyster and pearl in Japan and find something pretty to wear it in. Sounds like fun and you never know what size you'll get! Normally we get new Disney watches when we visit, but I think I have enough of those...:rolleyes1 So this will be a new piece of Mickey that I can wear at home. :)

Okay, so here's one we've discussed and are still thinking over: Drinking Around the World! :scared1: Although we already know that it we were to do it, we'd have to space it out over two days! I'm not the drinker I used to be, and neither is DH. I'd like to be able to enjoy the rest of my day...and the following morning...after the debauchery. :laughing:

Speaking of drinking, you know I've never had a Lapu Lapu? This needs to be rectified, especially seeing as how we're staying at the Polynesian!

I would definitely love to spend more time in the World Showcase and explore all of the little nooks and crannies.

In case you couldn't tell, we really want to let loose on this trip and enjoy ourselves. It's been a tough year full of family illness and some big, big life changes as a result. This trip is a real escape from reality for us and I guess you could say that we're trying to squeeze in a lot of the fun we have been missing out on.

Any other suggestions on what we can do and see this time around?

My sister and I will be at the Poly from 9/16 to 9/26. We'll be CL-GV. We did LV-CL last year...unbelievable view.:thumbsup2

Speaking of views...the view from our balcony for the past two years...

view.jpg

Here's a story with a bit of pixie dust... :wizard:

We had a great room for our honeymoon, 3503 in the Hawaii. It featured this beautiful view, and was really the best we could possible have asked for for our honeymoon. :cloud9:

Last year when we planned our trip, we knew we couldn't go all-out the way we had the year before. So we booked Garden View. The day of our arrival, things were going super well. We were checked in and told that they had a room under our name but that there was another room further down the hall which was already available, so we could go right up. We were thrilled - not having to wait for a room? Talk about lucky!

But when we got to the room we found that there was a tree smack dab in front of the balcony which blocked all light coming in the room. I was just happy to be there and to be in a room so soon, so I didn't want to say anything. But DH insisted, so he called downstairs and asked if we could wait for the room which was originally supposed to be ours, and explained why we weren't thrilled with the room we were in. He was put on hold and we waited...and waited...and waited. I was becoming worried that they hated us for complaining! :scared1:

Finally, though, the nice CM got back on the line and told us to go out into the hall and meet the porter who had our bags outside of our new room.

And what room do you think we were assigned? Good old 3503! Yep, a free upgrade to our honeymoon room! :wizard: It was amazing!! After getting over the shock of our good luck, we raced downstairs and profusely thanked the CM who gave us the upgrade, and then went to the Kona to grab my favorite breakfast of all time...

tonga.jpg

Then we spent the rest of the week enjoying the gorgeous view and listening to the sounds of the boats pulling in and out. Not to mention gazing out across the water at the castle...:cloud9:

That Disney magic is just one reason we find ourselves coming back again and again! And I know you all know what I mean by that. :)

Hi! We're going to WDW the same dates, Sept 18th-24th. We're staying at CBR, but the Poly would be my dream resort to stay at. Maybe one day!!!

I'm so excited for you! We are heading back to DW on September 11th. This time we are staying at OKW. I love to try a new resort each time and I think maybe PV is on our list for the next visit after reading about how much you love it there. My daughter and I went for dinner that at Ohana one evening and it was great fun!

We are DVC members and we fortunately get to go to DW a great deal.

At least you seem as excited as I am. My DH takes each trip in stride and doesn't tend to get as excited as me but he does enjoy the vacations! It's so nice to read about someone else that can't wait to get back to DW....

I just love it there!

Keep posting, please so I can have someone to get exicted with! :rotfl2:

Hi! We're going to WDW the same dates, Sept 18th-24th. We're staying at CBR, but the Poly would be my dream resort to stay at. Maybe one day!!!

We're getting so close, aren't we? :banana:

I have to say, there are other resorts I'd like to stay at, but the Poly does feel like "home". It's weird, last year we went through this whole drawn-out thing where we kept switching ressies based on outisde circumstances and the ability to upgrade. We ended up booking GF for the week and that's my dream resort. I was pretty stoked!

However, we found out that they were doing construction which may or may not have had an impact on our stay - I mean, I'm paying all this money to have guys doing work outside my window in the morning? There's definitely something to be said for the asthetic value of the resort. So after thinking about it for, oh, 3 minutes...:laughing:...we swtiched to the Poly. And immediately I felt like we were doing the right thing...and needless to say, DH wasn't heartbroken! :laughing: I don't think we're ever going to make it anywhere else!

I'm so excited for you! We are heading back to DW on September 11th. This time we are staying at OKW. I love to try a new resort each time and I think maybe PV is on our list for the next visit after reading about how much you love it there. My daughter and I went for dinner that at Ohana one evening and it was great fun!

We are DVC members and we fortunately get to go to DW a great deal.

At least you seem as excited as I am. My DH takes each trip in stride and doesn't tend to get as excited as me but he does enjoy the vacations! It's so nice to read about someone else that can't wait to get back to DW....

I just love it there!

Keep posting, please so I can have someone to get exicted with! :rotfl2:

How do you like being a DVC member? DH and I have discussed it, not in-depth but have thought about it a bit.

I know that DH would be bummed if I didn't get as excited as he does. When he was planning the honeymoon (which, I have to admit, took some serious persuasion on his part because I had not yet been bitten by the Disney bug) he would get all super excited and I would try to match his level of anticipation but needless to say...it wasn't easy for me! (Especially when I had, ya know, a wedding to think about first! :laughing:)

NOW on the other hand I walk around humming the Poly music (or just flat-out singing even though I don't know the language) and almost every day I announce that there's something else I've found out about that I'm dying to try. Big difference! I'm hooked! :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Get as excited as you want! What sort of plans have you made so far?

GUESS WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY????????? Our luggage tags and Magical Express Tickets! Yayyyyyyyy!!!

As for DVC, we LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I was unsure about the purchase but my husband said we'd be crazy not to do it and (as much as I hate to admit it :earsboy:) he was absolutely right. It is MORE than worth it, it really is. I actually want to purchase even more points. (I'm using the excuse that I want to have a decent number for my children when they are older and we divide the points between them) :thumbsup2

So far, all of our dining reservations are made and we actually got into Chef Mickey's. I've just heard so much about it that we figured we'd try it this time. We always rent a vehicle when we go as well and usually go to Cocoa Beach but I think we may take some time and visit Vero Beach and see what it's like there in case we decide to book there sometime.

Dining Reservations are as follows:

Biergarten Restaurant (it was a blast when my daughter and I were there in May so I want DH to experience it)

Rose & Crown

Yachtsman (never been)

Mama Melrose's (LOVE it here)

Chef Mickey's

Teppan Edo

Citricos

Olivia's Cafe

If you have any suggestions of places you love, I have no problem changing some of my reservations. (hint hint) :rotfl:

GUESS WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY????????? Our luggage tags and Magical Express Tickets! Yayyyyyyyy!!!

As for DVC, we LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I was unsure about the purchase but my husband said we'd be crazy not to do it and (as much as I hate to admit it :earsboy:) he was absolutely right. It is MORE than worth it, it really is. I actually want to purchase even more points. (I'm using the excuse that I want to have a decent number for my children when they are older and we divide the points between them) :thumbsup2

So far, all of our dining reservations are made and we actually got into Chef Mickey's. I've just heard so much about it that we figured we'd try it this time. We always rent a vehicle when we go as well and usually go to Cocoa Beach but I think we may take some time and visit Vero Beach and see what it's like there in case we decide to book there sometime.

Dining Reservations are as follows:

Biergarten Restaurant (it was a blast when my daughter and I were there in May so I want DH to experience it)

Rose & Crown

Yachtsman (never been)

Mama Melrose's (LOVE it here)

Chef Mickey's

Teppan Edo

Citricos

Olivia's Cafe

If you have any suggestions of places you love, I have no problem changing some of my reservations. (hint hint) :rotfl:

:laughing::laughing: Well, let's see...

I love Yachstman. Love, love, love it and so does DH. We'll be there a little more than a week after you! Not to talk it up too much or anything because that's the best way for a person to be let down, but we've consistently had good service and the food is finger-lickin' good. For apps I recommend the bisque, the seafood salad (it's a little small but still yummy) and the tomato/mozz salad which I had last year and practically licked the plate clean. DH is praying that they still have the porterhouse on the menu by the time we get there. I loved it but may try to broaden my horizons. :)

I've heard the Biergarten is so much fun! That's a place I'd like to visit for sure. My mom and my sister spent some time dancing to the band when they went last year. :) They, too, had a blast.

Rose & Crown...first time we went we had a fantastic experience. Next time, not so much. I don't think anything could equal the expectations we had for it the second time around, though. :confused3

Otherwise I've never been to any of your other selections for dinner - Chef Mickey's for breakfast, though. I'm interested to see what you think of Citricos since I'm intrigued by the menu and the reviews but am not sure of what DH would think of it.

Yay your stuff came in the mail, that's so exciting! I can't wait for ours! :woohoo:

Oh and btw as for places I love...I really, really don't think you can ever go wrong with the Kona Cafe! :love: That's 1 TS.

As for 2 TS of course there's Cali Grill, which is my true love and DH knows this! :laughing:

Ahhh, it's SO exciting going to DW isn't it? Maybe I'll have to try and change our last day breakfast to Kona. popcorn::

I'm really excited to try the Yachtsman. I have heard nothing but great things about there. Went to Le Cellier in March and it was great. They made me a special dessert for my birthday which I thought was really nice! When we go to Citricos, I'll let you know how it was.

What is your favorite ride or thing to do at DW? There's just so many things that I don't even think I can choose.

It's interesting. I thought and thought about the Rose and Crown and I'm still not overly excited about that one. Should I check out Cali Grill instead? :confused3

Ahhh, it's SO exciting going to DW isn't it? Maybe I'll have to try and change our last day breakfast to Kona. popcorn::

I'm really excited to try the Yachtsman. I have heard nothing but great things about there. Went to Le Cellier in March and it was great. They made me a special dessert for my birthday which I thought was really nice! When we go to Citricos, I'll let you know how it was.

What is your favorite ride or thing to do at DW? There's just so many things that I don't even think I can choose.

It's interesting. I thought and thought about the Rose and Crown and I'm still not overly excited about that one. Should I check out Cali Grill instead? :confused3

Definitely check out the Kona. In my ever so humble (possibly Polynesian tinted) opinion, you can't go wrong there, it's the best breakfast spot on property.

The Yachtsman is great, you'll have a wonderful meal there, that's a must do for us.

If it were up to me to choose between the Rose & Crown and The California Grill, I wouldn't even give it a second thought, that is my favorite restaurant on property. Just remember the Rose & Crown is a 1TS meal, where the California Grill is 2TS (But to me, it's worth that extra credit, and if I have to pay for a breakfast out of pocket to make up for it, so be it :goodvibes ).

My favorite thing to do at WDW is Illuminations. Without a doubt. As far as rides go, Soarin' is my favorite.

I'm following along do I don't miss your trip report when you get back since our first Poly trip is after yours :)

We love Coral Reef. It was one of our favorite meals from our trip in November.

We'll be at the Poly a couple of weeks before you, so I love seeing your pictures!

It's our first time staying there, and I cannot wait. I also have a feeling we'll end up eating breakfast at Kona a lot!

Looking forward to reading more!

You've all convinced me! We now have reservations for breakfast at Kona on our last day at DW. Try as I might, I can't get a reservation at California Grill but I'll keep trying.

I am really afraid of heights but I DO like Soarin' as well. :flower3:

I'm following along do I don't miss your trip report when you get back since our first Poly trip is after yours :)

We love Coral Reef. It was one of our favorite meals from our trip in November.

Thank you for following along! :banana:

Glad to hear a positive review of Coral Reef. Did you get to sit near the fish? :)

Are you totally stoked about your Poly trip? :yay: I'm stoked for you!

We'll be at the Poly a couple of weeks before you, so I love seeing your pictures!

It's our first time staying there, and I cannot wait. I also have a feeling we'll end up eating breakfast at Kona a lot!

Looking forward to reading more!

There are many more pics to come, I've enlisted DH for his illustrating talents. :rotfl: We have lots so I'll be happy to whet your appetite even more!

Um, yeah...you really can't go wrong with breakfast @ Kona. I'm not gonna lie, it's a huge draw for me. I'll be covering that in my newest update, in fact! It's a shame they don't have a smiley featuring a fork being repeatedly put in the smiley's mouth because I would totally use that right now.

popcorn:: <--that's the closest I can get! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter