College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Is it mandatory to live in Disney housing?

I have a friend nearby who offered to let me move in to his apartment. It would save me a lot of money if I could. Also, if it is allowed, would I be refunded my $200 housing fee that I already paid?

No, it is not mandatory to live in Disney sponsered housing. But if you were really considering it, I would contact them right away and talk to someone in the housing field who can help. Because once you start your CP and DO end up living off site, Price Management will still take rent out of your paychecks.
And no, they will not give you a refund. As stated in the acceptance letter (and when you pay), the money is non-refundable!

You can definitely stay offsite for however many nights you want. My daughter always stayed with us when we were in town. Additionally she had one roommate who had a local boyfriend and she literally moved in, had her rent taken out, and never stayed a night in the apartments.

Liz

i wish i had a roommate like that, haha

So I applied to DCP for fun, my friend recently applied and told me about it so I figured why not?! I went to Disney this past summer for senior week and of course, never wanted to leave. I applied for the program on 10/14 ; had my web interview on 10/16; and my phone interview last night 10/23. I thought my interview went well, it only lasted 10 minutes though which makes me nervous.

Can someone give me some info on what they did regarding their school. I know every school is different and some don't give college credit. But I have to register for my classes by 11/17 and who knows if I'll hear back from Disney by then. I'm just nervous that I'm gonna get all screwed up with school and stuff (I'm an Elementary and Special Education major). I would love the opportunity to participate in the program, but it's gonna be such a difficult decision to make if it will not work out with my major :/

Spring 2012 hopeful here, very excited and nervous! :-)

Hey everyone!! I'm considering applying for Fall Advantage 2012!! I applied for Spring Advantage 2012, but I'm pending and there's a chance I won't be accepted, or I might have to wait until December to hear back, at which point I won't go during the spring because I will have classes selected and housing taken care of at my school.

Just some quick questions- applications for Fall typically come out mid-January correct? Do you think there is any chance the apps will be released later than usual because they came out late for the Spring this year (supposed to come out mid-August, weren't released until Sep. 5). Also, do I have to wait 6 months to apply again, or can I apply the first day apps come out (like, would applying in March be too late for Fall)??? Thanks!!!!

Hi everyone!

I plan on applying this coming January for the CP in fall. How do we go about telling our managers at the job we work at currently? Is that something you tell them before/while you apply (To tell them there is a chance you may be leaving and in case Disney contacts them. Does any past CP know if Disney actually does contact them?). Or do you tell them after you get accepted (and if that's the answer, when should you tell them? As soon as you get accepted? 2 weeks notice? etc).

And one more question, something similar. You have to speak to your school counselor to apply right? You should meet with them before you apply or after you have applied? So confused on that.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!! I'm considering applying for Fall Advantage 2012!! I applied for Spring Advantage 2012, but I'm pending and there's a chance I won't be accepted, or I might have to wait until December to hear back, at which point I won't go during the spring because I will have classes selected and housing taken care of at my school.

Just some quick questions- applications for Fall typically come out mid-January correct? Do you think there is any chance the apps will be released later than usual because they came out late for the Spring this year (supposed to come out mid-August, weren't released until Sep. 5). Also, do I have to wait 6 months to apply again, or can I apply the first day apps come out (like, would applying in March be too late for Fall)??? Thanks!!!!

I'm no help when it comes to the date the applications will be up, but I'm almost positive you will have to wait a full 6 months to apply again, not just the first day the apps come out.

Hi everyone!

I plan on applying this coming January for the CP in fall. How do we go about telling our managers at the job we work at currently? Is that something you tell them before/while you apply (To tell them there is a chance you may be leaving and in case Disney contacts them. Does any past CP know if Disney actually does contact them?). Or do you tell them after you get accepted (and if that's the answer, when should you tell them? As soon as you get accepted? 2 weeks notice? etc).

And one more question, something similar. You have to speak to your school counselor to apply right? You should meet with them before you apply or after you have applied? So confused on that.

Thanks!

I applied last week and had my interview Sunday morning, so I am now in the waiting phase. I told my supervisor the first day I saw her after I submitted the app, so she could start looking for someone to replace me, and I can start training the other two students to do my specific job.

No, you don't *have* to meet with anyone to apply. However, it is recommended that you speak to your advisor or whoever to ask if it will set you back in anyway and whether or not your school will give you credit. I have a meeting with my advisor in half an hour to plan for next semester, because if I haven't heard back from Disney by Sunday night, I need to register for spring classes here first thing Monday morning. I'm also scheduled to meet with the Dean of the College, as she is our contact person for the program, to discuss credit options.

Aaah!

So I have a question about requesting time off. I was planning on applying for Fall 2012 (I graduate in May 2012). This is my last chance to do the CP, and I was getting really exciting about maybe getting the chance to go.

Last night my Dad got engaged (Yay Dad!)! While excited about this news, his wedding is going to be next October when I am hopefully on the CP. Now I'm unsure if I can apply! This is totally breaking my heart.:guilty: Everyone seems to say that getting specific time off is nearly impossible.

Is there any chance if I request this time off my very first week I'd get it? I can't NOT go to my Dad's wedding! But I wont have another chance to do the CP either! I could probably manage with just three days off... I live in Atlanta so it's about a 6 to 8 hour drive. It'd be pushing it, but I might be able to do it.

Has anyone requested three to four days off and gotten it?

I just called them this morning asking if I could change my role before I accepted it. The lady on the phone was very rude to me! If she wasn't so rude it wouldn't have bothered me but she was unbelivably rude!! Just ruined my morning! Her name was Sandra, FYI :confused3

Aaah!

So I have a question about requesting time off. I was planning on applying for Fall 2012 (I graduate in May 2012). This is my last chance to do the CP, and I was getting really exciting about maybe getting the chance to go.

Last night my Dad got engaged (Yay Dad!)! While excited about this news, his wedding is going to be next October when I am hopefully on the CP. Now I'm unsure if I can apply! This is totally breaking my heart.:guilty: Everyone seems to say that getting specific time off is nearly impossible.

Is there any chance if I request this time off my very first week I'd get it? I can't NOT go to my Dad's wedding! But I wont have another chance to do the CP either! I could probably manage with just three days off... I live in Atlanta so it's about a 6 to 8 hour drive. It'd be pushing it, but I might be able to do it.

Has anyone requested three to four days off and gotten it?

Nothing is impossible. But I would recommend that you request it as soon as possible after beginning your program, and detail the reason for your request. I requested 5 days off once (also including my regular days off for a total of 7 I believe...and got all of it). However, please know that the odds depend on your role and specifically...THE NEEDS OF THE COMPANY during that particular period. It is true that CP's work A LOT and is sometimes difficult to get a request accomodated. You can also trade or give away shifts if they do not cause the reciprocating cast member to incur overtime. Just be aware that if none of this works out for you, then you will have to make choices. Good luck!

Here is my personal excel document that I use to track all the restaurants I've eaten at... it's up to date on CM discounts. The Summary Page automatically popluates based on the other sheets, so you do not need to enter anything on that sheet.

Hub Dining Discounts

The holiday info is still from 2010, 2011 hasn't been updated on the Hub yet, but my spreadsheet is accurate based on the coupon book.

So, I have never posted on this board before but I am now getting quite nervous. I had my interview for the College Program almost 7 weeks ago and my status is still "in progress." I also got an email saying that I might have to wait until December 19 to find out if I have gotten in. :confused::confused3 Does this mean that I have less of a chance getting in? Also, has this happened to anyone else?

I am kind of freaking out!!

If you could help, that would be great!

I applied last week and had my interview Sunday morning, so I am now in the waiting phase. I told my supervisor the first day I saw her after I submitted the app, so she could start looking for someone to replace me, and I can start training the other two students to do my specific job.

No, you don't *have* to meet with anyone to apply. However, it is recommended that you speak to your advisor or whoever to ask if it will set you back in anyway and whether or not your school will give you credit. I have a meeting with my advisor in half an hour to plan for next semester, because if I haven't heard back from Disney by Sunday night, I need to register for spring classes here first thing Monday morning. I'm also scheduled to meet with the Dean of the College, as she is our contact person for the program, to discuss credit options.

Thanks so much! So do you know if Disney did (or plans to) call your manager? I just thought it would be easier to tell them after I get accepted (if I do) but if they want to call and ask about you I guess I should say something first so it isn't a surprise lol. I wouldn't want to say I'm leaving and to start looking for someone to replace me if I don't get accepted in the end.

For some reason I just thought you had to meet with someone to have them approve your gpa or something. So we can just apply and go without ever having to talk to someone? I don't care about graduation being pushed back and probably won't take classes while I'm there for credit.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Thanks so much! So do you know if Disney did (or plans to) call your manager? I just thought it would be easier to tell them after I get accepted (if I do) but if they want to call and ask about you I guess I should say something first so it isn't a surprise lol. I wouldn't want to say I'm leaving and to start looking for someone to replace me if I don't get accepted in the end.

For some reason I just thought you had to meet with someone to have them approve your gpa or something. So we can just apply and go without ever having to talk to someone? I don't care about graduation being pushed back and probably won't take classes while I'm there for credit.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

I honestly can't remember if they even wanted contact information for employers on the application. :confused3 If I had put all of that down on the app, I can't see why they asked me about my past work experience during the interview. So no, I don't think they intend to call my manager. For me, it's not as big a deal because I'm leaving in May regardless, so I have to start training the other employees to do what I do anyway.

You will probably, at the very least, need to talk to your advisor. You may have to take a leave of absence if you don't plan to get credit, otherwise your school might un-enroll you if they see you haven't registered for classes and just left. (I know that's how it goes here, anyway.) My advisor was fine with it, and I went to talk to the Dean yesterday, who also approved it. It won't affect my graduation date and the number of credits I will earn is based on the number of hours I work-no problem earning at least 12 credits with the amount that Disney wants you to work. As for the GPA, your school may require you to have a certain level for a leave (my school is a 2.0) or to take an internship credit. Really, talk to someone at your school and they can give you more info.

hey guys, this is my first post on here. i applied for the CP yesterday, and i was just what the living arrangements were like?

hey guys, this is my first post on here. i applied for the CP yesterday, and i was just what the living arrangements were like?

There are three apartment complexes: Vista Way, Chatham, and Patterson. Each has apartments with 1-4 bedrooms, with each room holding two people. You are placed with other people in your age range, ie, over 21 or under. This website is very helpful: http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/onboarding/fl/housing/overview/

Where are you from in WNY? I'm from Buffalo and go to school in Geneseo.

so... kinda dorm style? everyone gets half a room with like, two of everything?

Sort of. There are two beds and nightstands, but only one (larger) dresser. The walk in closet also looks pretty big. I don't think there are desks. But yes, it's more or less dorm style. My interviewer asked me if I had ever lived in a dorm before and how I would deal with roommate conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter