Code watch January 2017

Hi everyone. For those of you that have been in January before and received the free dining plans, do you have to be staying for a certain number of nights? Also, do you know if they exclude the Movies resort from this promotion? My 1st time going in January and trying to look ahead and be prepared. Thanks in advance.

What are some of the discounts have they had for January dates. 8 yrs ago we got water parks and more for free. Any Other Offers? What did they have last year?

Last edited:
I checked out the mousesavers list. Does anyone know if free dining in january is ever offered with a pin/code.. it looks like the only time it was offered for the US was in 2012. We are going this fall and it will be my first time with free dining, but we really considering returning for a few days in January with additional family. Just wanted to know how likely it is to be offered for Jan 2017. Thanks

We got the stay/play/dine promo for Jan 2014......that promo came out on Sept 24 according to my notes but I can't remember if it was released to Disney Visa holders first before going to general public. I'm hoping for some sort of discount for our January trip 2017. Going back to Riverside resort. Can't wait!

We got the stay/play/dine promo for Jan 2014......that promo came out on Sept 24 according to my notes but I can't remember if it was released to Disney Visa holders first before going to general public. I'm hoping for some sort of discount for our January trip 2017. Going back to Riverside resort. Can't wait!

I think it was released early..same with 2015. MouseSavers has a historical discount page that can confirm that.

Planning either Jan or Feb 2017. Hoping to get free dining.

I don't think free dining at the beginning of the year is a "thing" anymore, unless you count the old bounceback offers. I think the offer would have been out by now if they were going to do a BB with free dining, though, so I wouldn't count on it in Feb.

I checked out the mousesavers list. Does anyone know if free dining in january is ever offered with a pin/code.. it looks like the only time it was offered for the US was in 2012. We are going this fall and it will be my first time with free dining, but we really considering returning for a few days in January with additional family. Just wanted to know how likely it is to be offered for Jan 2017. Thanks
We got a free dining pin code for Jan 2014. That was the last year I have seen a FD pin code go out for Jan....

Thank you for mentioning the marathon! I never go in January but planning my niece's trip for that w/e and was not aware how big it is!
I checked out the routes and which parks are affected.
Now my questions:
1. Do the racer's routes close streets to the extent that they disrupt bus transportation to the parks?
2. Do the racers tend to stay in the park where the marathon ends? Making that the most crowded park on that day?
3. Do the other parks tend to be low attendance because people tend to stay away that w/e if not in the marathon?

Thank you for any help!
Been going marathon weekend every year since '09. The crowds aren't bad, but i have to say that this past January I didn't run, and I recommend staying out of Hollywood studios and epcot until at least noon. Those are the last parks to run in so pedestrians have to wait to cross the streets and large crowds gather waiting on this. I experienced it this year and it was annoying! Also might wanna stay out of Animal Kingdom in the morning. The marathon is always on a Sunday.

Marathon weekend is a special animal, as it's 4 races over 4 days (5k Thursday, 10k Friday, Half Saturday, Full Sunday). I haven't been to this particular weekend (doing it next year) but from my experience at other races:

1. Not really for the 5k and 10k. The half will have some closures. The full will definitely disrupt traffic, especially in the second half of the course, as the course is open until midday or so. Rope drop may be challenging.
2) Nope. I mean, I'm sure there are some people that don't mind staying in their workout clothes after running 3, 6, 13 or 26 miles...but I'm definitely not one of them. I shower, maybe nap and eat, and then go to the parks. I will say that many like to go to MK after the races, though, so they can get pictures with all their medals near the castle and entrances, etc. I think that one is probably the busiest after a race. Epcot may be a close second because of the food and drinks.
3) Not really. Remember that it's not only racers, but their families as well. Not to mention that the weekend is the beginning of the off season, so prices are much lower than during the holidays. Also, that is also a LOT of people's winter breaks still, so that's likely to bump up the numbers this year.

Thank you for the detailed information.

Been going marathon weekend every year since '09. The crowds aren't bad, but i have to say that this past January I didn't run, and I recommend staying out of Hollywood studios and epcot until at least noon. Those are the last parks to run in so pedestrians have to wait to cross the streets and large crowds gather waiting on this. I experienced it this year and it was annoying! Also might wanna stay out of Animal Kingdom in the morning. The marathon is always on a Sunday.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Marathon crowds. Information like this really helps with the planning.

Thank you for the detailed information.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Marathon crowds. Information like this really helps with the planning.
No problem! I will answer any questions anyone has about rundisney races. I have paid for 10 races and have run 8 of them (2 I just didn't feel like waking up!!). 5k, 10miler, half marathons, full marathons, and a goofy. Please also note on race weekends hotel prices go up. I am officially retired from rundisney now though, because of the rising race fees and overcrowding on the course, (last race was last year) but I still have family that runs them. Now I get a different aspect on park crowds and spectating.

I know Disney Changes sometimes so I am on the watch but it looks like the earliest we might see something is late September for Visa holders. Are you all thinking the same?

We are going in January also, so I'm interested in following this just in case there are discounts. Hoping. :)

I know Disney Changes sometimes so I am on the watch but it looks like the earliest we might see something is late September for Visa holders. Are you all thinking the same?
I doubt they'll release information on any discounts until the current ones expire (which is August 31st) so i'm figuring the earliest will be September. We rented points to stay at OKW but both of our kids and their wives could really use a discount on their rates! We're going end of January (hoping the pro-football game doesn't eliminate the possibility of discounts)

Are you able to pm me the contact info of the TA?
This was just in reference to the date that packages were released for 2017 --- no specials yet. I don't deal with a TA so i don't have any details to share. BUT these boards are where you'll get a head's up about 5 days - a week before the discounts will drop for public use. Lots of us are waiting anxiously for that news. It won't come until the current ones are over and they run until the end of August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter