Code vent....But for a different reason... (VENT)

How do you feel regarding room-only discount codes??

• Codes are nice but not expected or necessary for planning our trip.

• No, you're wrong; WDW owes us these codes, they've issued them before, they SHOULD issue them again.

• I don't think they *owe* us codes, but a code/discount determines where we'll stay.

• Codes? What codes? I don't know about any stinkin' codes!

Results are only viewable after voting.
We always plan on the basis of paying rack rate (which normally means we plan on staying off site and just spending a few nights on site to end our trip in style)
As a result of codes, we have been able to upgrade those few nights to nicer accomodation, or spend more nights onsite than we originally planned, which is definitely a bonus, but it doesn't make or break the trip.

I will admit to being frustrated when codes are released and I can't get through to get one myself - but I also think we tend to get into a tizzy on here and think that if we don't get it booked within an hour of the code being released we won't get a discount. In the past I haven't heard about the discount until a week or two later (maybe even longer), and while I probably had less choice I was still able to get a very nice room at a good rate.

the logical side of my brain has to admit that you're absolutely right. Disney certainly doesn't "owe" us codes. But the side of my brain that I typically use, the right side, wants the darn codes and feels like I am a repeat guest, I am loyal to Disney and I deserve a "perk" or two. We have been staying at the deluxe resorts since 1999. Prior to that we stayed at either All Stars or a moderate. These codes, AP and general public, have afforded us the chance to stay at the wonderful Deluxe resorts. I would have a hard time going back to a moderate but if codes were to magically disappear, that's most likely what we would do. I just can't see paying rack rate, whether I can afford it or not.

PamNC

The hard thing to deal with is reading about the people who get the random e-mail and postcard codes and not getting a little jealous that their rate is not available to you! Same thing happens on cruise ships when they give out random upgrades and you can't help but feel,hey why not me?
I had a much easier time of it last year when I opened the newspaper one day,saw a FL resident rate ad,said we deserve a little Disney Magic this year(our dog had just died and due to budget problems we had no family vacation planned for the year),picked up the phone and booked the room. Our dates were available and the CM recommended the brand new Pop Century and off we went. No worrying,no computer 3 times a day,no code mania! Oh,for the good old days!

I think a lot of folks feel entitled to some sort of discount bcs they have gotten them in prior years, when domestic travel has been much weaker (eg time following 9/11). Well, things have picked up, as in Demand, so they no longer need to offer great code to the general public. They can offer better deals only to their most loyal customers (like AP holders or DVC members), or whatever makes the most business sense. So while I'm disappointed I won't get a great deal like in prior years, I'm still getting a pretty good deal.

We also have a permanent "code" or room discount since we're DVC members. So being repeat guests (like so many of you on this board) we will always get a great room deal bcs we've already paid for it by buying DVC. So it's back the the Boardwalk or Saratoga Springs two or three times a year; no waiting for or worrying about codes or any of that nonsense; as long as we own our points, we can and will go to WDW. Now when decent codes come along, it gives us a nice change for those weekend nights (weekend nights are pricy using DVC points, while weeknights are a bargain); so when that General Public BDP code came out in the fall, we booked our opening weekend for our April trip at AKL (or rather rebooked as we already had AAA rates and were waiting for AP rates, which turned out not to be as good as the BDP code).

And since I am also a stockholder, I am glad they are having to offer fewer discounts (as that will eventually trickle into my retirement account, if I don't spend it all at WDW that is)

TigrLvsPooh said:
I don't think I'm "owed" a code, but I still watch for them. We've taken about 15 trips to WDW in the last 4-5 years and we haven't paid rack rate for any of them. When there wasn't a code available we just rented DVC points instead. As long as I'm getting a good deal I don't care how I get it. ;)

My vent right now is that there are just way too many posts on this board about codes. Can people not see the huge thread with hundreds of responses from people looking for codes?? I guess not because they keep starting new threads. Pretty soon this whole board will be about codes. :rolleyes: I've had posts and threads of mine locked by moderators, so I say lock all these new threads or merge them into one. And let's get back to talking about the RESORTS!!!!!!! :teeth:

The only time I get aggravated about "Codes" posts is when they're looking for codes for dates that I don't need! ;)

last year we booked our stay at WL for july as room only with a AAA discount and were happy with the rates. i believe the rate was 188$ a night. combined that with the price of the park ticket it was almost 700 dollars cheaper the doing the package thing. my travel agent told me about codes when i booked with her but didnt know if or when they would come out. then a code came out and i was suprised with a discount of almost 200 dollars. it was like free money came my way. i wasnt really aware of what codes were about then but now i am.

actually the info about codes influenced me to buy pap's for this trip so we can do a kid-less trip this winter. the codes will influence where we may stay but will not keep us away from wdw. looking to stay at WL again but honestly we will be happy staying anywhere in the world!!

I booked deluxe but will have to cancel if a fl resident rate doesnt come out. The cm I booked with recomended that i go ahead and book and expected the codes to come out.

I do think it is in Disney's interest to offer the resident codes. Since residents go to disney more often we dont tend to try to maximize our time in the parks and on rides. Instead we are more likely to spend time and money shopping and dining.

I simply cannot rationalize spending rack rates at the deluxe for something that is not a once in a lifetime trip. However, were I to stay offsite or even at value I wold probably not spend nearly as much as I will staying at the deluxe and making it a more luxurious trip.

Michelle

They can offer better deals only to their most loyal customers (like AP holders or DVC members), or whatever makes the most business sense. So while I'm disappointed I won't get a great deal like in prior years
How so we know this? The time frame for when they come out isn't even here. I got a code for my Jan trip, I got a code for my Feb trip..and I haven't started to worry about the May trip yet, since they traditionally haven't been released by this date yet.

I'm also a stock holder..and I just want the rooms filled, so they can make money on the tickets, food, souvenires, etc. and keep people employed. Our CM friend just left Disney to work in TX..her and her husband weren't getting enough hours at Disney.

No complaints about codes here... (just filling my pockets with birdseed...LOL).

*eeyore...PAVLOV'S BIRDS!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :teeth:

When I went to book our trip in May I was told by our TA because of the Magic your way Plan, there was a very good chance that codes would not be available during our stay. Did it stop me from booking, no way. If codes come out, wonderful. But we are going anyway.

Must have been a slow week on the RB. Where's a pool-hopping debate when you need one? :confused3

Disney a couple of years ago - thanks to internet sites like this one - started to offer a general public code or discount - even put it on their websites.

before then they offer codes to only certain areas of their countries....not fair at all (my opinion)

this system is much fairer.

when I talked to a cm last week to make my reservations for a trip I wasn't going on without a discount - and I got a postcard - she acted like the annual pass discounts will be offer soon - but my postcard rate was better.

if new guest get a discount on their rooms - they think that WDW is being fair and will probably return more often.

I think the current method is great - everyone is treated equally - and everyone has a chance at the discount codes. no complaints.

hopefully some of the people who are complaining will get the postcards.

It's simply the nautre of the hotel business-nothing more. If rooms are sitting empty-that's not good. That's the only reason any hotel offers discounts. If we wait to book, we'll probably get them. If not, then there will just be less.

I always wait to book. I am flexible as to where I want to stay, so it works.

For our next trip as much as I would like to stay at a deluxe for 7 nights, we are probably looking at 5 nights mod and 2 night deluxe, unless some great deals come out with packages for the 50th anniversary. I think we will probably return to CBR and then AKL for 2 nights. I would love to stay at the Poly but as this maybe our last trip for a while. I want to be able to spend as many days as we can.

So, tell us, Seaspray, how do you really feel about this? ;)

I answered codes what codes??? And I do know about the codes and the AP rates and the resident rates and the nurse rates and the teacher rates, etc. etc. What about the "I am a nobody code"!

Seriously though, we have been to WDW 20+ times and on the DCL 2x and I have never seen a postcard nor do I think I ever will. Am I waiting for one, no but it would be bonus, we plan our trips during the time of year we can afford to go and where we can afford to stay, I would rather go in January, when I may need to wear a jacket and stay in a deluxe than in high season and stay in a value if the price is right.

It is all about preference. However, I do think that some people feel they are owed a code....

Noone owes anybody anything, BUT as has been past practice, people rely on codes to help them out. Especially people who purchase AP. That is one of the perks associated with the purchase. To say it is not, would be false. That would be like Disney saying dining discounts will be discontinued as well.

I book when I want to go and the hotel I want to stay at. For us, that is a Value resort. Codes, or rack rate. That is where we will stay.

We have only stayed at a moderate once because of codes (POFQ) and my boys hated it!! (Not enough teenage girls around). I have stayed in a Deluxe for one night for a very specific reason. (I wanted to be in walking distance of the Studios to try and get on Who Wants to be a Millionaire).

So for us diehard cheapskates, we book at a Value early cause they do book up quicker, then apply a code to the Value if one comes available. However, I won't stay offsite unless it's a last minute trip.

I will admit however, that once the boys aren't travelling with us, we may be inclined to try the Moderates with a code more often.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter