Code vent....But for a different reason... (VENT)

How do you feel regarding room-only discount codes??

• Codes are nice but not expected or necessary for planning our trip.

• No, you're wrong; WDW owes us these codes, they've issued them before, they SHOULD issue them again.

• I don't think they *owe* us codes, but a code/discount determines where we'll stay.

• Codes? What codes? I don't know about any stinkin' codes!

Results are only viewable after voting.
F1Julie said:
My rant with people waiting for codes is that they should NOT book a room and then hope of changing it or upgrading resorts when a code comes out. If WDW sees a lot of rooms are already booked, then why would they release a code?
This is the rant every single month before codes are due out. I have just as much right to book a room with the hopes of getting a code as someone does booking a room on the possiblity they may be able to get away and vacation...or for any reason. A zillion people know nothing about codes, or these boards. In comparison, the amount of people who book and will not stay if they don't end up with a discount, are miniscule. If the few (in comparison to the overall numbers) who book hoping for codes are what is filling up the rooms, then I would be very surprised. More people stay in one day in Pop Century alone than are on these boards. Good grief, a few rooms booked in hopes or anticipation of a code are not going to be what breaks the camels back. A lot of people book a value or mod room, and then upgrade to a mod or deluxe once codes come out..because now they can afford more. Same difference, the rooms were frozen..same amount of rooms.
The codes aren't even due out yet (if they come at all), so I guess I never understand why so many get theirselves in atizzy, and start venting about what we should book, who is entitled, etc. This is a hotel, they have marketing directors, they know how many outside rooms are already booked, I'm sure they have a fair handle on how many will cancel without the codes, how many extra they'll get with the codes. This is no small company. At this time, they don't appear to be overly booked for anything but holidays. Based on all the info they have, they'll decide to have them or not. If codes don't come out..I'll make other plans for May. Or go through SOG, or stay outside, or visit the Grand Canyon, or head over to Universal, or maybe visit at Tropical Palms. It's just not a biggy..however, I did make a ressie in anticipation or hope of codes, so I could go ahead with my plane ressie, cat sitter etc.

TigrLvsPooh said:
I don't think I'm "owed" a code, but I still watch for them. We've taken about 15 trips to WDW in the last 4-5 years and we haven't paid rack rate for any of them. When there wasn't a code available we just rented DVC points instead. As long as I'm getting a good deal I don't care how I get it. ;)

My vent right now is that there are just way too many posts on this board about codes. Can people not see the huge thread with hundreds of responses from people looking for codes?? I guess not because they keep starting new threads. Pretty soon this whole board will be about codes. :rolleyes: I've had posts and threads of mine locked by moderators, so I say lock all these new threads or merge them into one. And let's get back to talking about the RESORTS!!!!!!! :teeth:

I have to agree. I remember a while back someone asked for a thread just about codes. This way there was one spot to find them and discuss them. Maybe now is the time for the moderators to look into this. :confused3

I think you have nailed it! I almost wish I could go back to the old days when I didn't know about these boards or codes and was just happy to get a room!

of course disney doesn't owe us any codes but think of this

SMOKERS smoke -- now there hooked on nicotine :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

COFFEE drinkers love coffee (me)-- now hooked on caffine :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SKYDIVERS love jumping out of planes-- now there're hooked on parachutes :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Disneyites love discount codes -- now we are hooked on CODES :love: :love: WE NEED CODES :banana: :banana: :banana:

dpic said:
One question--If you feed birds everyday and then stop feeding them, what happens? Do you "owe" the birds food?

Disney created the system you are venting about. If people come to depend on the system Disney created, who's to blame when people get tense when that system is altered?

One point I agree with, wholeheartedly. I have a ressie booked with a AAA for Dec. I do not condone the thought of not making a ressie so the bookings are depressed to help create a need for Disney to release codes. I book when I want to book, I book a room I feel comfortable (not giddy, just comfortable) paying the price. I do not begrudge Disney for charging for whatever they want for a room.

Also, I do not begrudge people for getting tense when hundreds of dollars are on the line. Especially when they are loyal customers who have helped Disney through some tough times.

You made some very good points.

People here just like to chat about what is on their minds--and since it is about time for codes (going by previous years), codes are uppermost on a lot of people's minds.
Who wouldn't want to save a significant amount of money on a Disney vacation? Plus, we get a lot of new people on here who have legitimate questions about issues that confuse even people who have gone to Disney for years.

I don't mind seeing all of the threads on codes....if I am not interested in it, I just don't open it, but I have learned a lot about Disney and codes from these boards. So, I am willing to pay back for what I've received by helping when I can and listening when someone needs to sound off to probably the only people (us) who really care or even relate to their Disney fix in a world of jobs and people who do not understand or care about "our" issues, questions, or frustrations with Disney.
I'm just glad the board is here for whatever people need to say about Disney "stuff."

Now that my Pollyanna speech is over, I will go read some more threads since there is nothing good on t.v. until the Pro Bowl.

I agree that there have been some threads that just have me shaking my head, and hitting my back button.

I've been fortunate enough to stay at WDW 2x on AP Discount codes. Both times we booked what we could afford (PO-R) and actually had it paid in full by the time the AP discounts were announced.

The first year, we stayed at PO-R, and used the excess money for much of our food budget (booked at $139/night, AP discount $79/night).

The second year, I switched from PO-R to the Cabins at Ft Wilderness. EXACTLY the same money, tons more room, and we were able to eat breakfast in every morning, and we ate 2 lunches, and a few dinners in as well.

I don't feel that WDW owes me anything in the way of codes/discounts, etc. If they happen to have one I qualify for, and can take advantage of, FANTASTIC. Otherwise, we book what we can comfortably afford, and enjoy ourselves just the same.

Disney had to work very very hard after 9/11 and the slump in tourism. Hence the codes became VERY widespread. As the tourism industry has been bouncing back, the discounts are scaling back. I don't think they will ever go away altogether, but they will become slightly more scarce.

Alas--we are not planning on going back until February of 2006. I am, quite frankly, not sure if I can make it that long............

I voted they don't owe us codes. I have AAA and so I am not paying rack rate right now anyway.

I budget a few ways. The first way is what I am paying right now with my AAA discount. The second way is if there aren't any AP rates for my moderate resort but there is for somewhere like WL and AKL how much the difference would be and if I could afford it. Being that moderate would run 134/night and AP at WL would be 121 (historically). Well then I plan that scenario as well.

I always take the highest cost of the different scenarios and plan accordingly.

Now I do love a code and hope AP rates come out for my time frame. It would save me 30/night. Now will I go if AP rates don't come out? You bet because I am already saving 25/night with AAA.

Would I go without any kind of discount? Sure but it would probably be value and not for as long.

I guess my pet peeve is people telling others to buy APs for the room discounts. Now granted they will probably hand out discounts but if they decide not to then there would be some upset people who just dropped 400 for a 5 or 6 night vacation in the hopes of a cheap room.

I book what I can afford, if I feel like upgrading when a code comes out I will, but I book where I want to stay and what I can afford. And I do it in advance. I booked early Jan for my Oct and Nov trip this year.

I guess my pet peeve is people telling others to buy APs for the room discounts.
I don't understand why anyone would tell anyone that. I say just the opposite. If you are buying the AP for the discounts (that's why I buy it), then wait and see if there is an AP discount for your room (otherwise, if that is yoru reason, it may not be worth it). You do not have to have the AP in hand, therefore, there is no risk.
However, on the other hand..no discount, no AP for me. I only buy them for the room/food discount, not the parks. No AP rates, no AP purchase, and we'll vacation elsewhere. Whatever works for each person.

dpic said:
One question--If you feed birds everyday and then stop feeding them, what happens? Do you "owe" the birds food?
"No...but IF you want the birds to RETURN, you would be WISE to continue feeding them." :confused3

Originally Posted by dpic

"No...but IF you want the birds to RETURN, you would be WISE to continue feeding them."

Yeah, or maybe the birds will all head to US/IOA??? :rotfl: :rotfl2:

(just kidding) ;)

Hey everyone :wave2:

You know, it's great to see that this thread didn't get nasty. After I posted it, I was afraid that it might.

I probably shouldn't have posted it because in the grand scheme of things, whether anyone wants, gets, waits for, or expects a discount code is really of very little importance.

It's uncharacteristic of me to post something where I complain, so I do apologise if I caused anyone any aggravation.

I think there are valid points on both sides of the codes issue; Disney owes us nothing in the way of any discounts, yet they have set the precedence of having discount codes for a very long time now so people have come to expect them.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this discussion civil :grouphug:

TigrLvsPooh said:
Yeah, or maybe the birds will all head to US/IOA??? :rotfl: :rotfl2:

(just kidding) ;)

That's what the birds did that use to eat at US/IOA. There is a thread over on the Universal resort board about people leaving their hotels at US and staying at Disney instead because codes were out for WDW and the rooms at US are very high this year. There are no ENT rates for their hotels this year. This was the Jan-April time frame. DH and DS are going for one night so I've been watching and learning about Universal resorts. I don't have any idea whether their resorts were full or not, but there were several posts that people were not doing US/IOA due to no codes and they were staying at a Disney resort instead for hundreds of dollars less. They have a lot less rooms to fill than Disney so I am not sure of the impact on their hotels. When people are use to paying $150 for a room and then asked to pay $300...it's difficult. There are basically no discounts for peak and regular season that are significant.

So, only time will tell what Pavlov's Birds will do :)

I just looked into Universal, funny enough, for the first 1-2 nights of our week-long vaca 3/26-4/2. It was booked solid at the package rate, and waaaaaayyyyyyyyy expensive otherwise!! Never been there, and guess I still won't. THe only way i was going there is if we stayed on site, for the line-cutting priveleges, lol.

On the AP code stuff, I read the advice on AP rates, and booked hotel WITH AP discount BEFORE buying my AP. If the AP rates had not been available, my Disney trip would only be for 3 or 4 nights, instead of 6. And only 3 of those 6 nights are with AP rate! The food discount for my family of 6 once I add the DDE will make my AP worth it. I am ever so grateful to have heard about the codes -- just wish I had not lolligagged around so long between hotels. That is how I missed the first 3 nights' discounts!

Beth

My personal opinion is that I can go to travelocity or expedia or whatever and find hotels and get a AAA rate, senior rate, govt rate etc on almost every hotel listed it seems but you cannot ever do that with Disney hotels. I dont feel Disney owes me anything however they are very different then the majority of hotels out there including the Universal ones which you can get discounted rates to as well (there just isnt as much choices)

I just dont understand why it has to be so difficult to get a discount on a Disney hotel and so much work and so frustrating. Nearly every other hotel chain does it and they are not losing money

Isn't watching for codes part of the planning process, part of what makes it fun? I booked what I could afford with the AAA discount. If a code comes out, great - if it doesn't we're still going.

Right now I have 3 nights at POP & 5 at AKL. IF a great rate comes out, I'll try to switch them all to AKL but either way, it'll be in my budget.

Personally, planning, budgeting, saving is all part of the fun for me. I don't worry about the codes though I hope a good one comes along. Whatever!

I budget what we can afford and if a code or discount package comes out then we upgrade. This year I have budgeted for GF without a code. Getting AAA next month so I'll use AAA and if a code comes out then that's more to save. Still gonna take the same amount of money though...more to PLAY with!!

We certainly don't expect a code but are like many...hoping for one! I booked the WL with a AAA rate and am secretly hoping for a code so that I can book GF to surprise DH because it is our anniversary during our visit with our 2 DSs and that is where we stayed on our honeymoon. I check each day in hopes that I can upgrade to the GF without him knowing. Keep your fingers crossed!!! :wave2:

I voted for option #1. We've booked Wilderness Lodge with the AAA discount and that's where we plan to stay-code or no code. I did ask my DU agent to watch for AP codes if they become available because we are tentatively planning another trip in Feb. 2006. If an AP rate comes out and the math works in our favor-you better believe I'm going to get one. Codes are nice and I'll be thrilled if one comes out, but totally not necessary.

I will say, though, WDW got a bonus trip out of us due to the awesome fall rates they put out last year. The rates came out and we decided to go near Christmas. Had they not had the good rates we wouldn't have gone. But like I said it was not a planned trip.

As far as the code threads go - I don't really read them.

This is the second thread I've read on this board lately where people are complaining about people wishing for codes.

Who cares? Let people want codes. Let them ask for codes. Life's too short. If someone wants to ask a question about if a code is out, let them.

(and to stop worrying about codes in the future, join Disney Vacation Club!) :)

I don't think posters are complaining about people wanting codes. I don't mind that at all. I do mind people who post nasty things when the codes they want don't come out and we have all seen that. (I have read several posts on here over the years where people get very upset and indicate that in return for "all the money" I have spent Disney owes me a discount)

I sometimes think some people think Disney is like Mickey Mouse, A big stuffed friend, and are disappointed when it turns out to be an big company concenred with profits instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter