• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cockroaches in Hotels

Cinderstella

Earning My Ears
I have a significant phobia of cockroaches. I have stayed at Pop Century about 5 times and have had a cockroach in my room 3 of the 5 times. A BIG one. I know for most people this isnt a big deal, but for me, seeing one ends is a panic attack and vomiting. I’m planning a trip with my family soon and all we can afford is Pop Century. Does anyone have any tips to keep them out? Disney is my favorite place, so I am trying to face my fear, but I am terrified! I asked his on a Disney FB group and they were all really mean, so please be nice to me!

There really is no 100% way to keep them out. I would suggest 2nd or 3rd floor room and maybe spray the doorway with roach killer, that may help if they are not already in the room. FYI, we live in Florida and unfortunately it's just something we have to deal with. Also, it really does not matter which resort, if they have bushes, trees etc. then they are there. Hopefully this trip will make it 3 of 6:)

I have a significant phobia of cockroaches. I have stayed at Pop Century about 5 times and have had a cockroach in my room 3 of the 5 times. A BIG one. I know for most people this isnt a big deal, but for me, seeing one ends is a panic attack and vomiting. I’m planning a trip with my family soon and all we can afford is Pop Century. Does anyone have any tips to keep them out? Disney is my favorite place, so I am trying to face my fear, but I am terrified! I asked his on a Disney FB group and they were all really mean, so please be nice to me!

We've had decent luck on the highest floors because many hide in the bushes and trees that are below the top floor. Also, I am suggesting this in a very genuine and compassionate way: have you thought about going to counseling to tackle your fear? I'm 100% for phobia counseling and I think strength that you would receive from counseling could be very empowering. Best wishes!

They are palmettos. They are everywhere down south, nothing really can be done about them, unfortunately.
Sorry, they are roaches, not water bugs or palmetto bugs. We have them and light and water attracts them. Get a room on a higher floor and don’t leave food around and turn off the outside lights.
btw..palmettos are low growing palms.

Maybe stay offsite at a better hotel?

Just don't go to the Motel 6 on Kissimmee, the reviews say the cockroaches live in the walls/structure even though they renovated them.

It's Florida so, cockroaches are gonna be around no matter what but I think there may be better times of year to avoid the cockoaches. The PoP Century structure itself is old, they just retooled and remodeled, so it's possible there's a problem with the structure.

Most hotels, especially the newer ones I don't think that you will see them.

Yes, they are in the cockroach family, but come out in daylight also. We see them scurry around when we visit Florida and Georgia. Our family in Georgia calls them Palmettos, and evidently Wikipedia does also. No need to be mean

Attachments

• 7BDCE7D4-6CAE-49CD-B2D9-96272100FB25.jpeg
    7BDCE7D4-6CAE-49CD-B2D9-96272100FB25.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 83
Sorry, they are roaches, not water bugs or palmetto bugs. We have them and light and water attracts them. Get a room on a higher floor and don’t leave food around and turn off the outside lights.

Attachments

• EE757880-1BFB-4E95-B04A-FFF2A75EC357.jpeg
    EE757880-1BFB-4E95-B04A-FFF2A75EC357.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 27
Yes, they are in the cockroach family, but come out in daylight also. We see them scurry around when we visit Florida and Georgia. Our family in Georgia calls them Palmettos, and evidently Wikipedia does also. No need to be mean
Sorry, not trying to be mean. Wikipedia is what ever you put into it. I grew up around palmettos ( from Fl ) and never had roaches until I moved to an area with no palmettos. Just killed 2 in the garage yesterday and I’m on space coast...guess they were looking for warmth. Not unlike mahi mahi , better name than dolphin fish. Palmetto bug sounds better than roach.

I agree. Everyone says “They’re just palmetto bugs.” Uh, no, not all of them. We had an actual cockroach in our room at Port Orleans Riverside. (I’m a home care nurse so unfortunately I am well aware what a cockroach looks like.)

I’ve never had any issues with bugs in the deluxe resorts and I’m sure the fact that you enter from enclosed hallways is a huge difference. If you can’t afford a deluxe, have you looked at Swan and Dolphin? Sometimes they have deals comparable to the value resorts, but they are more like a normal hotel with a lobby entrance. They also happen to be in an AMAZING location and get many of the same perks as Disney resorts. Even if they are a little more they are totally worth saving a little more to get a bug-free stay!!

Its Florida, big bugs are inevitable. The advice on a higher floor is good. I also wouldn't bring any food whatsoever into your room. Finally, you could try and spray around a little peppermint oil in the bathroom, under the sinks, and at the door. That might deter them a little bit

Dang, I must be the luckiest person who visits Florida. I have been going for over 25 years and I see them outside all the time but never had them in any of my rooms at WDW. I have also stayed at all levels of the resorts.

Maybe stay offsite at a better hotel?

Just don't go to the Motel 6 on Kissimmee, the reviews say the cockroaches live in the walls/structure even though they renovated them.

It's Florida so, cockroaches are gonna be around no matter what but I think there may be better times of year to avoid the cockoaches. The PoP Century structure itself is old, they just retooled and remodeled, so it's possible there's a problem with the structure.

Most hotels, especially the newer ones I don't think that you will see them.
That’s why motel 6 leaves the light for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter