Cockroaches in Hotels

I agree with the above suggestion to stay on as high a floor as possible. Also, you could contact Pop Century ahead of time, let them know your concern, and ask them to do pest control before you arrive.

Another option if you don't want to stay offsite in a place where you'd need a car, is to stay at one of the Disney Springs hotels. At least in the pre-covid times, they had their own free shuttle to the parks. Not sure about now.

Yes, they are in the cockroach family, but come out in daylight also. We see them scurry around when we visit Florida and Georgia. Our family in Georgia calls them Palmettos, and evidently Wikipedia does also. No need to be mean

And we have them in NYC also. Tend to call them Water Bugs here. I call them things I capture between cardboard/paper and a large cup then flush down the toilet.

We were at Boardwalk once on an upper floor. We were on the balcony and left the door open while watching Illuminations. I looked back in the room and there was a huge one on the floor. We chased it around (they fly) and my friend smashed with her shoe on the wall. So it’s nothing to do with quality of hotel, I‘m sure it flew in.

We've had decent luck on the highest floors because many hide in the bushes and trees that are below the top floor. Also, I am suggesting this in a very genuine and compassionate way: have you thought about going to counseling to tackle your fear? I'm 100% for phobia counseling and I think strength that you would receive from counseling could be very empowering. Best wishes!

I don't know about counseling, but I had hypnosis for my severe irrational fear of flying. I would get physically sick about 2 weeks before our flight. I would ask for a seat up closer to the front and was never denied after they took a good look at my panicked face! On the flight I was white knuckled and had to have a dramamine and a bloody mary to get by. (I am not a drinker) They had to practically carry me off the plane I was so out of it.
Then, a good friend was also a hypnotherapist. She had a difficult time getting me to relax and let her work.
But I came out of that session without ANY fear of flying. I can fly now like everyone else.
I don't recommend it for everyone, but I was ready to try anything to help me. It was a totally irrational fear. I have a good friend who is a airline pilot and even he couldn't help me. So, there is help out there if you want to try whatever it is.

Have never had a roach in room but had a small snake in my BC room (ground floor).

Years ago we were staying at the BC and I was out on my 3rd floor balcony. I look over and saw this HUGE snake make it's way up the decks onto another 3rd flood balcony. I don't really know my snakes but it was python huge. I always look out on my deck before I open the door now. Nope, nope, nope.

I have a significant phobia of cockroaches. I have stayed at Pop Century about 5 times and have had a cockroach in my room 3 of the 5 times. A BIG one. I know for most people this isnt a big deal, but for me, seeing one ends is a panic attack and vomiting. I’m planning a trip with my family soon and all we can afford is Pop Century. Does anyone have any tips to keep them out? Disney is my favorite place, so I am trying to face my fear, but I am terrified! I asked his on a Disney FB group and they were all really mean, so please be nice to me!
You can’t. Honestly. It’s Florida. Hell, I have had frogs and ducks in my room when I was silly enough to leave the door open. I’ve had turkeys hang out in the covered balcony when it rains. Seen bats come dang close to getting inside. It’s a losing battle with bugs of all sizes.

do you know the difference between palmetto bugs and roaches, or does it not matter? Any lodging with exterior corridor/ entrance is gonna have critters.

Years ago we were staying at the BC and I was out on my 3rd floor balcony. I look over and saw this HUGE snake make it's way up the decks onto another 3rd flood balcony. I don't really know my snakes but it was python huge. I always look out on my deck before I open the door now. Nope, nope, nope.
If it was a black snake, it was probably a black racer. We have a couple of those that show up in our back yard. But was it really about 12' long?

What we call Palmetto bugs are as some have said actually roaches. American cockroaches to be exact. The smaller roaches that most people are familiar with are German cockroaches. Oh, and the big American roaches fly so there's that.
Then we have the geckos. Don't remember what they're called, but the brown/grey ones are invasive. The green ones are Florida natives. Too many snakes to list. The tan colored frogs that crawl up the walls and doors are Cuban tree frogs. Also invasive. They crawl straight up my 16' garage door. Any and all the listed critters don't care what floor you're on.
Welcome to Florida. Oh, most of the list are completely harmless so just keep your doors close and look around the porch light at the entrance to your room before you open the door at night. Ok, when going in. Can't see outside when you leave.... just be quick.

Last edited:
What we call Palmetto bugs are as some have said actually roaches. American cockroaches to be exact. The smaller roaches that most people are familiar with are German cockroaches. Oh, and the big American roaches fly so there's that.
Then we have the geckos. Don't remember what they're called, but the brown/grey ones are invasive. The green ones are Florida natives. Too many snakes to list. The tan colored frogs that crawl up the walls and doors are Cuban tree frogs. Also invasive. The crawl straight up my 16' garage door. Any and all the listed critters don't care what floor you're on.
Welcome to Florida. Oh, most of the list are completely harmless so just keep your doors close and look around the porch light at the entrance to your room before you open the door at night. Ok, when going in. Can't see outside when you leave.... just be quick.
Don't forget the Asian roaches AKA Kamikaze roaches. I really don't like those!

Yes, they are in the cockroach family, but come out in daylight also. We see them scurry around when we visit Florida and Georgia. Our family in Georgia calls them Palmettos, and evidently Wikipedia does also. No need to be mean

And our family friend who has lived for years in Florida calls them Palmettos. And they have nothing to do with how clean a place is. Family Friend would have the house tented for bugs and still have a few of them. They are icky, but part of Florida.

Hey, I'm actually pretty surprised but the local fauna doesn't seem to bother my wife at all? She even thinks the local alligators are "cute". I'll say she doesn't like the cuban tree frog um.. leavings. They're as big as rat um leavings. Look like them too. She luckily hasn't managed to experience fire ants yet. I still have the scars. You wont have to worry about fire ants in your room though.

I have a significant phobia of cockroaches. I have stayed at Pop Century about 5 times and have had a cockroach in my room 3 of the 5 times. A BIG one. I know for most people this isnt a big deal, but for me, seeing one ends is a panic attack and vomiting. I’m planning a trip with my family soon and all we can afford is Pop Century. Does anyone have any tips to keep them out? Disney is my favorite place, so I am trying to face my fear, but I am terrified! I asked his on a Disney FB group and they were all really mean, so please be nice to me!
I understand your feelings, as I have a strong aversion to them, too. Contrary to what some posters suggest, it's not at all inevitable that you'll encounter them in a Florida hotel room. I have stayed at every Disney World deluxe resort, plus Pop Century, Riviera and Vero Beach, have visited during every season of the year, and have never seen a roach in a Disney resort room. I also am a lifelong Texan (where huge roaches are also ubiquitous), and know that proper sealing and pest control of a property make a huge difference in how often you'll see them (frequently vs. almost never). So you can definitely find a resort or hotel in Florida where it will be very unlikely to encounter them. Choose a high-quality hotel with interior corridors. At Disney, this would either be a deluxe resort or a top tier DVC resort like Riviera, not Pop Century. (And of course, keep your balcony door closed except when immediately entering or exiting your balcony.)

Since your phobia is extreme and you can't afford to stay at a deluxe resort, I strongly recommend staying at a nice offsite hotel that costs about the same as Pop Century. Maybe Bonnet Creek Hilton? That will have interior corridors and is clean and well-managed, located within the Disney gates, and is sometimes priced on par with Pop Century (be sure to include the nightly resort fee when pricing it out). With Disney resorts you pay a huge premium for the brand. Since you can't afford Disney's best resorts, due to your phobia you're better off staying in a higher quality hotel offsite. There are many nice ones within Disney's gates.

Last edited:
Dang, I must be the luckiest person who visits Florida. I have been going for over 25 years and I see them outside all the time but never had them in any of my rooms at WDW. I have also stayed at all levels of the resorts.
Same. We have stayed Value 3 times, Moderate 1 time, and Deluxe 4 times. We have never seen a cockroach or palmetto bug. The only time I have seen them is in the inner city school I teach in up north.

My family goes to Disney once or twice a year and have been for years....We've never seen a roach in any room with the EXCEPTION of the Pop Century. We primarily stay at the Deluxes with an occasional stay at Port Orleans. My friend and I, along w our kids were looking for a budget friendly last minute trip for Pres Day weekend. The Pop was the only one w availability. We were both on the top floor and BOTH of us saw roaches in our room within the first couple hours of checking in. My friend's son had two roaches crawl into his sneaker on the floor. We wound up asking to be moved to a different hotel. Never again will I ever step foot in there. If money was an issue, I'd wait it out before going back there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter