(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~11/13 - 6/14~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmation yesterday of the fact that a fence will be put around the main pool got me to wondering about the distinct possibility this will/might be happening soon at all Disney Resorts.

I recall that a couple of years ago the drowning of a boy at a Value Resort (without lifeguards present), prompted this action. News reports indicated that fences would be placed around all feature pools last year and they would be closed when a lifeguard wasn't present. When the fences didn't go up last year, many thought it was delayed. I wonder if Disney (lawyers) were able to extend the fencing deadline by combining it when other pool work is being done. This seems to at least be the case at Poly and WL.

Looking through the Disney Resort permits, it's hard to tell exactly what's being done when "install fencing" is missing from the WL permit and generic "pool and deck work" is only listed. With WL and Poly pool closures overlapping, I wonder what/if other fencing/pool work will overlap with other resorts at some point? If this is the case, there will be a lot of unhappy guests scrambling to change resorts. I'm going to take a quick look at all the permits again. But, I really have to pack later:eek:

I've never been at a disney resort during a refurbishment - so excuse this for sounding silly -
I assume large walls will go up around the construction area, but is there a "roof" over the area? So if I'm in a courtyard view room on a higher floor, will I be looking down into the construction mess, or a roof?

What about the best way to request one of those (very few) courtyard view rooms off the end of the south wing? View of Bay Lake at the end of the South Wing?
Thanks! :flower3:
In POST 2, I have a hyperlink to the photos that hstrickland took recently of the creek work that's currently being done. I imagine it would look similar to that, but I can't imagine the top would be covered. Maybe someone who has seen pool work first-hand at another resort could comment. You bring up a great point about the CV impact.

Most of the rooms that are at the very ends of the wing on floors 1-6, overlooking the dock and beach areas are Deluxe rooms, but you could still request one of the few non-Deluxe rooms there. But, the ones that overlook the boat dock do have obstructed views so the South Wing would be optimal.

The WL Inner CV rooms might end up a bit like the CR TPV rooms in that if you look out you have amazing views of the MK and 7SL, but if you look down, you see the parking lot. It's really hard not to look down though...

First I want to give props to WDWKook. You took the time to answer my questions, then I didn't say thank you. Terribly sorry that I got quite busy and didn't get to that sooner. The log is adorable and very cool. If you wanted to add "first timer" to our entry, you are welcome to it.

Secondly, still a bit gutted, but after speaking with a CM directly at the hotel, I am feeling a bit better. She understood that we had concerns regarding the construction and assured me it would not be that bad. She explained the reason the refurb is taking 2 months is because they are doing in sections to minimize the fences and tarps and the inconvenience to guests. I explained that we had paid the full price for the courtyard view, and would that be affected. She assured me not as bad as we think and that Disney is doing everything they can to accommodate and minimize. :)

When I asked her about pool options, she explained that we could go to Blizzard Beach as often as we want or we could use the pool at the CR. They plan to add extra buses for BB and extra boats for CR. Towels and such would be provided at both places. So, that sounds like a nice trade off.

We also asked about a possible upgrade to CL. We would love to, but for now, nothing is available. The CM said there should be options at check it and that we may also notice some things start to open up as we get closer to our "pay or get out" deadline. Thoughts on this?

So, here is were we are and what we are thinking. (please chime in if you agree or if you see a different idea) We have AKL reservations as back up, but we think we will let them go. Although AKL is beautiful and lovely, for our needs, it seems that WL is a better choice. Even with the pool out of service, the alternates are still closer than the back and forth time if we stayed at AKL. I have heard lovely things about AKL, but one thread that keeps coming through is the bus wait times and the round trip times running between 30-45 minutes. Our DD has no idea where we are going or what we are doing, and we hope to take it as far as possible. During her big birthday celebration we have pirate adventures, character meals, and a variety of other things planned for her. We don't think AKL will have the flexibility we need when it comes to park locations. Thoughts? We feel for "overloaded child" and "feets are hurting" breaks, that WL will be better for resort to hotel options. Again, please feel free to enlighten us if we are misinformed.

Just watched a video log from some friends of ours of their last trip. My gutted deflation is officially gone and my excitement for our adventure in 104 days now has me giddy in my seat.

Thank you again in advance for all chimes, suggestions, or thoughts that anyone feels they would like to share. Ta!!
Thank you for the kind words. This does put a wrench in so many's plans:headache:. While your TA may have said that you could go to BB as many times as you like, at least with the Poly Nanea Pool closure, they are only giving one-day passes and transportation. You also have access and transportation to the FW pool.

You can check the Disney booking site daily for CL availability. People cancel all the time so something will probably become available, but it might not be available with all discounts.

Transportation is the #1 issue at AKL. There aren't any boats or walking paths so you have to take a bus everywhere. My experience there wasn't favorable. Even the bus that only had to go next door to AK was onerous, IMHO. I also felt isolated there with no other resorts to hop over to, no water recreation, no bikes… I think for a short stay it's fine, but for a longer stay it's less appealing to me.

Well now that it's official.....we're still planning on WL. I wonder if it really is the fence going in since she said it was being done in 'sections'? Not too bummed about the construction but am sorry for those guests that are being impacted.

The only thing at this point that will change our location is:

1. Mom decides not to come and I end up on a solo trip (I don't do Deluxe as a lone guest, and will downgrade to a Mod or maybe a Value)

2. The AP or Fall rates come out and WL is not available on discount and we decide to move to a discounted resort.

3. Somehow another deluxe ends up cheaper than WL with discounts and the rooms offered are better than WL.

4. Zombie Apocalypse or a gigantic crater opens up underneath Oklahoma and swallows it whole. (scenario two is actually a possibility we've had 3 large-ish earthquakes in the last three days, like in the 3.5-4.5 range, all around 5:30-6:00 in the morning, talk about a rude awakening).
I hope you're well prepared for any impending ZA. Really, those could happen anywhere, so maybe the pool work will have some anti-zombie features added:scratchin

I may have missed this in the pages of updates on the pool refurb, but is there any word on the hot tubs? Will they be closed too, or is that a big MAYBE since it will depend on when that 'section' of the pool deck is being worked on? Are there hot tubs by the villas pool? Oh if only I had bought that crystal ball at the last Ren Faire... :rotfl2:
No one has mentioned the WL hot tubs, so IDK their status during the rehab.

I feel like it has been FOREVER since I've been to WDW since I had to cancel two trips last year due to my back injury.

Upcoming trips:

Aug 16th - 31st - 4 resort split - no WL :(
Dec 2nd - 16th - offsite timeshare
April/May 2015 - no definite plans yet

Did you notice I'm not homeless in either Aug or Dec .... well may just one or two nights in Dec!!! Oh and as I was typing this I added a day to the Dec trip!! :rotfl2:

Not too bad for one AP and traveling from way out west!!!

Again kook have a wonderful vacation .... you deserve it!!! :thumbsup2
Keep adding those days and I like your April/May flexibility. I hope your back's much better now and you can fully enjoy your upcoming trips:hug:

Found out about this from Kimbles a couple of days ago.

We're flying out on the 29th October at staying at the DWL for two weeks in a courtyard view room (now to be a building site view). Really disappointed about the late announcement, it's next to impossible to get an alternative room around the lakes (spent a couple of hours on the phone to the travel agent yesterday).

I'm hoping Disney/Virgin can pull something out of the bag for those of us they are letting down, but from what I've read I won't hold my breath.

As an aside, I've read some posts about a new Dining Plan becoming available later this year, is that related to the DWL pool closure?

Danielle x

Transportation is the #1 issue at AKL. There aren't any boats or walking paths so you have to take a bus everywhere. My experience there wasn't favorable. Even the bus that only had to go next door to AK was onerous, IMHO. I also felt isolated there with no other resorts to hop over to, no water recreation, no bikes… I think for a short stay it's fine, but for a longer stay it's less appealing to me.

I'll have to agree with KOOK. While we LOVED AKL and their club level service, it's a bit of a haul to the MK. We did a short stay there, and visited AK and BB...bus service was quick but those two parks are REALLY close. We decided that AKL probably wouldn't be for us on longer trips since we like going back to the resort in the afternoon. It would just take too long. The WL has a bus that goes directly to the MK and back....a 6 minute trip!!! Super quick! We actually used the bus more than the boat simply because it's faster. Of course this is JMO ;) It's all very subjective.

Here is my reply from guest communications:
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

There is refurbishment work taking place around the main pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. As a result, we expect that the Silver Creek Springs pool, kiddie pool, and spas will be closed during your stay. Throughout the renovation, we remain committed to providing a great Guest experience. During your stay, the leisure pool at our resort will be available. As additional alternatives, the main pools at both Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and Disney’s Contemporary Resort will also be available to you. Transportation will be provided to these neighboring resorts.

We look forward to your visit. Have a magical day!

So no waterpark tix mentioned here, which is fine with me. Glad I didn't make FP selections yet! Our plans will now be to rope drop, rent a locker for our bathing stuff, leave parks around 2 and take monorail / walk directly to CR for a couple hours of swimming. Then head back to WL exhausted! I might be dropping some ADR's and just make easy dinners in the villa, because the extra travel time will make a difference to us getting places on time. The pool is VERY important to us. Lemonade out of lemons, I guess ;)

Wishing they would throw in a free pass to BB. bummer. BUT, I am renting pointing, so switching resorts is not really an option. With the boat ride only being 5 mins or so, I don't mind (too much) heading over to CR. The CR is not my favorite of the deluxe resorts, but it will do. We also still have the villa pool and hot tub, so that's something. We are only there for the weekend following a cruise, so making lemonade it is.

I was thinking about switching to AKL since our dates (9/11-9/15) fall into the pool construction. Spoke with husband, and we just love the WL too much to switch! I had planned a whole no-park/resort day, but there are still plenty of places around WL, besides the pool to explore. Might even go horseback riding at FW!

Just throwing my 2 cents in. It was a hard decision! I just really hope the stream is working! I would miss the sound!!!

I hope you're well prepared for any impending ZA. Really, those could happen anywhere, so maybe the pool work will have some anti-zombie features added:scratchin

Maybe the pool refurb is in anticipation of the ZA.....if the new fences are strong enough, the pool may be a great safe place. :rotfl2:

Maybe the pool refurb is in anticipation of the ZA.....if the new fences are strong enough, the pool maybe a great safe place. :rotfl2:

When our safety training for spring came out it was on April first. It was How to survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

We were all:rotfl2: Librarian+geeks+IT based learning lends itself to some really good April Fools fun.

Even the CDC has a ZA link.

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm

My co-worker called this morning to see if she could find an alternate resort for her stay since her daughter REALLY wanted the pool. There were non suitable alternatives but the cast member did tell her they would bet passes to BB. This was maybe an hour ago that she called.

My co-worker called this morning to see if she could find an alternate resort for her stay since her daughter REALLY wanted the pool. There were non suitable alternatives but the cast member did tell her they would bet passes to BB. This was maybe an hour ago that she called.

I seriously do not understand how schlepping the whole family to a water park and back is supposed to compensate for not being able to take a quick dip in an onsite pool that you thought you had when you booked. Maybe if you arrive with an entire resort day planned without any lunch ADR AND love water parks (the combination of which find highly unlikely). Otherwise, appalling.

We just called and there was no mention of BB tickets just told about the use of the pools at Contempary and FW. DD did get a list of prices for her time period and found that she has a pin for Port Orleans. They will most likely end up staying but wanted to hear their options.

I seriously do not understand how schlepping the whole family to a water park and back is supposed to compensate for not being able to take a quick dip in an onsite pool that you thought you had when you booked. Maybe if you arrive with an entire resort day planned without any lunch ADR AND love water parks (the combination of which find highly unlikely). Otherwise, appalling.
No waterpark tickets offered, just CR and FW pool use. My husband works for resort reservations so he has the official news.

i called last night and asked bout bb tix. she said there wouldnt be any since they were offering up other pools. as for the poly she said they got bb tix cause it was a last minute decision. im on the fence about moving to another resort, this will be our first time at wl and was taking the entire first day to just hang at the resort (including eating). not much left at other resorts. :confused3

I am bummed about the pool, but not considering moving resorts. We typically only spend one or two afternoons at the pool for an hour or two anyway. We'll just use the leisure pool or hop over to the Contemporary. Not a biggie. If the ZA happens, well that's another story, LOL:rotfl:

No waterpark tickets offered, just CR and FW pool use. My husband works for resort reservations so he has the official news.

With all due respect, what resort reservations can say and what a CM can say are 2 different things. I'm sure that when I booked on February 21st resort reservations wasn't "officially" going to reveal that permits had been appllied for that would result in the pool being closed. Resort reservations was more than happy to take my deposit.

So the great CM Mousekeeper that I spoke with at great length misinformed me? That makes me very sad again. The question was asked several times and several ways about the BB tickets. It was the deciding factor to stay. I am gutted again. Please kind hearted CMs. Get the facts, get things straight, fully understand, then share. Those of us not in the know appreciate the hard work that you do, but when you give us misinformation, we make our plans around that because we trust that what you are saying is true. Back to the drawing board. Grrrrr.

So the great CM Mousekeeper that I spoke with at great length misinformed me? That makes me very sad again. The question was asked several times and several ways about the BB tickets. It was the deciding factor to stay. I am gutted again. Please kind hearted CMs. Get the facts, get things straight, fully understand, then share. Those of us not in the know appreciate the hard work that you do, but when you give us misinformation, we make our plans around that because we trust that what you are saying is true. Back to the drawing board. Grrrrr.

Oh don't feel bad. I just called to try to switch the GF which pisses me off immensely because it's out of our budget...and the CM informed me that "I didn't know about the pool closure" until I told her...then she pulled up the advisory.

Btw, GF rooms that are affordable are sold out. We were even checking rack rate with the hopes to book the RO. The least expensive garden view rooms disappeared the day this once announced.

Oh don't feel bad. I just called to try to switch the GF which pisses me off immensely because it's out of our budget...and the CM informed me that "I didn't know about the pool closure" until I told her...then she pulled up the advisory.

Btw, GF rooms that are affordable are sold out. We were even checking rack rate with the hopes to book the RO. The least expensive garden view rooms disappeared the day this once announced.

I agree. I booked CR, which is still more money but not as bad as what's availalbe at GF. Is CR not an option for you? I know that you are looking into it (Facebook).

You spoke with a Mousekeeper? I'm not sure how a member of the housekeeping staff would have the info you were looking for... :(

With BB being $53 per person per day, I can't see a resort offering an unlimited use situation for their guests, which is probably why the Poly only offered a single day once the use of the GF pool as an option came off the table.

Don't lose heart! It's been our experience that once at the World.. the things that gave us reason to pause, become non issues. The quiet pool is lovely :)
No experience with CR or WL pools, but I'm sure they will be a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter