(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~11/13 - 6/14~

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I want to give props to WDWKook. You took the time to answer my questions, then I didn't say thank you. Terribly sorry that I got quite busy and didn't get to that sooner. The log is adorable and very cool. If you wanted to add "first timer" to our entry, you are welcome to it.

Secondly, still a bit gutted, but after speaking with a CM directly at the hotel, I am feeling a bit better. She understood that we had concerns regarding the construction and assured me it would not be that bad. She explained the reason the refurb is taking 2 months is because they are doing in sections to minimize the fences and tarps and the inconvenience to guests. I explained that we had paid the full price for the courtyard view, and would that be affected. She assured me not as bad as we think and that Disney is doing everything they can to accommodate and minimize. :)

When I asked her about pool options, she explained that we could go to Blizzard Beach as often as we want or we could use the pool at the CR. They plan to add extra buses for BB and extra boats for CR. Towels and such would be provided at both places. So, that sounds like a nice trade off.

We also asked about a possible upgrade to CL. We would love to, but for now, nothing is available. The CM said there should be options at check it and that we may also notice some things start to open up as we get closer to our "pay or get out" deadline. Thoughts on this?

So, here is were we are and what we are thinking. (please chime in if you agree or if you see a different idea) We have AKL reservations as back up, but we think we will let them go. Although AKL is beautiful and lovely, for our needs, it seems that WL is a better choice. Even with the pool out of service, the alternates are still closer than the back and forth time if we stayed at AKL. I have heard lovely things about AKL, but one thread that keeps coming through is the bus wait times and the round trip times running between 30-45 minutes. Our DD has no idea where we are going or what we are doing, and we hope to take it as far as possible. During her big birthday celebration we have pirate adventures, character meals, and a variety of other things planned for her. We don't think AKL will have the flexibility we need when it comes to park locations. Thoughts? We feel for "overloaded child" and "feets are hurting" breaks, that WL will be better for resort to hotel options. Again, please feel free to enlighten us if we are misinformed.

Just watched a video log from some friends of ours of their last trip. My gutted deflation is officially gone and my excitement for our adventure in 104 days now has me giddy in my seat.

Thank you again in advance for all chimes, suggestions, or thoughts that anyone feels they would like to share. Ta!!

First I want to give props to WDWKook. You took the time to answer my questions, then I didn't say thank you. Terribly sorry that I got quite busy and didn't get to that sooner. The log is adorable and very cool. If you wanted to add "first timer" to our entry, you are welcome to it. Secondly, still a bit gutted, but after speaking with a CM directly at the hotel, I am feeling a bit better. She understood that we had concerns regarding the construction and assured me it would not be that bad. She explained the reason the refurb is taking 2 months is because they are doing in sections to minimize the fences and tarps and the inconvenience to guests. I explained that we had paid the full price for the courtyard view, and would that be affected. She assured me not as bad as we think and that Disney is doing everything they can to accommodate and minimize. :) When I asked her about pool options, she explained that we could go to Blizzard Beach as often as we want or we could use the pool at the CR. They plan to add extra buses for BB and extra boats for CR. Towels and such would be provided at both places. So, that sounds like a nice trade off. We also asked about a possible upgrade to CL. We would love to, but for now, nothing is available. The CM said there should be options at check it and that we may also notice some things start to open up as we get closer to our "pay or get out" deadline. Thoughts on this? So, here is were we are and what we are thinking. (please chime in if you agree or if you see a different idea) We have AKL reservations as back up, but we think we will let them go. Although AKL is beautiful and lovely, for our needs, it seems that WL is a better choice. Even with the pool out of service, the alternates are still closer than the back and forth time if we stayed at AKL. I have heard lovely things about AKL, but one thread that keeps coming through is the bus wait times and the round trip times running between 30-45 minutes. Our DD has no idea where we are going or what we are doing, and we hope to take it as far as possible. During her big birthday celebration we have pirate adventures, character meals, and a variety of other things planned for her. We don't think AKL will have the flexibility we need when it comes to park locations. Thoughts? We feel for "overloaded child" and "feets are hurting" breaks, that WL will be better for resort to hotel options. Again, please feel free to enlighten us if we are misinformed. Just watched a video log from some friends of ours of their last trip. My gutted deflation is officially gone and my excitement for our adventure in 104 days now has me giddy in my seat. Thank you again in advance for all chimes, suggestions, or thoughts that anyone feels they would like to share. Ta!!
It sounds like you have a great trip planned! We're also going for my sons 5th birthday and I'm super excited too! I'm pretty sure this will be the best birthday ever! Lol I agree that the location of WL can't be beat and AKL is waaaay too out of the way for us...even though it's beautiful.

First I want to give props to WDWKook. You took the time to answer my questions, then I didn't say thank you. Terribly sorry that I got quite busy and didn't get to that sooner. The log is adorable and very cool. If you wanted to add "first timer" to our entry, you are welcome to it.

Secondly, still a bit gutted, but after speaking with a CM directly at the hotel, I am feeling a bit better. She understood that we had concerns regarding the construction and assured me it would not be that bad. She explained the reason the refurb is taking 2 months is because they are doing in sections to minimize the fences and tarps and the inconvenience to guests. I explained that we had paid the full price for the courtyard view, and would that be affected. She assured me not as bad as we think and that Disney is doing everything they can to accommodate and minimize. :)

When I asked her about pool options, she explained that we could go to Blizzard Beach as often as we want or we could use the pool at the CR. They plan to add extra buses for BB and extra boats for CR. Towels and such would be provided at both places. So, that sounds like a nice trade off.

We also asked about a possible upgrade to CL. We would love to, but for now, nothing is available. The CM said there should be options at check it and that we may also notice some things start to open up as we get closer to our "pay or get out" deadline. Thoughts on this?

So, here is were we are and what we are thinking. (please chime in if you agree or if you see a different idea) We have AKL reservations as back up, but we think we will let them go. Although AKL is beautiful and lovely, for our needs, it seems that WL is a better choice. Even with the pool out of service, the alternates are still closer than the back and forth time if we stayed at AKL. I have heard lovely things about AKL, but one thread that keeps coming through is the bus wait times and the round trip times running between 30-45 minutes. Our DD has no idea where we are going or what we are doing, and we hope to take it as far as possible. During her big birthday celebration we have pirate adventures, character meals, and a variety of other things planned for her. We don't think AKL will have the flexibility we need when it comes to park locations. Thoughts? We feel for "overloaded child" and "feets are hurting" breaks, that WL will be better for resort to hotel options. Again, please feel free to enlighten us if we are misinformed.

Just watched a video log from some friends of ours of their last trip. My gutted deflation is officially gone and my excitement for our adventure in 104 days now has me giddy in my seat.

Thank you again in advance for all chimes, suggestions, or thoughts that anyone feels they would like to share. Ta!!

Wow I hope that is all true. How did you call the hotel directly? I know often you are sent to a call center.

I looked up the number. 407-824-3200. The gal answered Wilderness Lodge and when I asked if she was WL or call center, she said WL. She was very nice.

When you said "beautiful Courtyard" it made me think...could this be the dreaded(IMHO) fence around the pools that has been delayed? Maybe it's not the pool at all? That would completely ruin the look of that entire courtyard:faint:

That is DH's thought...

All I know for certain right now is that the kiddie pool is being replaced with a kid's splash area and the permit indicates "Main pool and deck area" work. We speculated a couple of weeks ago that last years' rumor of fencing being added around all feature pools, may be coming to fruition.

And there you go...

Hey guys,

Just got off the phone with back office. I was told they they are putting in a fence, sidewalk around the pool and kids splash area. The cm said it would take probably 30 days but possibly longer but he thought it should be done by November.

It isn't an inside tip but it was from the resort.

Hope it helps.

If they add the fence, they must add, because they currently do not exist, sidewalks. I hope they do not go completly around the pool. The look of the courtyard will undountly change. I have faith that when completed, the courtyard will be as beautiful as ever.

It will be very disruptive so for a CM to say it won't be is, well, they are just reading from their script of sorts and doing their job in trying to reassure guests.

I really feel for those affected by this. I really don't know what we would do. :guilty:

That is DH's thought...

And there you go...

If they add the fence, they must add, because they currently do not exist, sidewalks. I hope they do not go completly around the pool. The look of the courtyard will undountly change. I have faith that when completed, the courtyard will be as beautiful as ever.

It will be very disruptive so for a CM to say it won't be is, well, they are just reading from their script of sorts and doing their job in trying to reassure guests.

I really feel for those affected by this. I really don't know what we would do. :guilty:

I don't think anyone really knows how disruptive it's going to be until it starts.

Well now that it's official.....we're still planning on WL. I wonder if it really is the fence going in since she said it was being done in 'sections'? Not too bummed about the construction but am sorry for those guests that are being impacted.

The only thing at this point that will change our location is:

1. Mom decides not to come and I end up on a solo trip (I don't do Deluxe as a lone guest, and will downgrade to a Mod or maybe a Value)

2. The AP or Fall rates come out and WL is not available on discount and we decide to move to a discounted resort.

3. Somehow another deluxe ends up cheaper than WL with discounts and the rooms offered are better than WL.

4. Zombie Apocalypse or a gigantic crater opens up underneath Oklahoma and swallows it whole. (scenario two is actually a possibility we've had 3 large-ish earthquakes in the last three days, like in the 3.5-4.5 range, all around 5:30-6:00 in the morning, talk about a rude awakening).

Received pool closure info from my travel agency this afternoon via my Facebook...
September 3/14 to November 27/14. Use of the main pools at CR or FW with complimentary transportation to & from.
Absolutely no mention of Blizzard Beach or any other water park tickets at all.

We have a split stay -- WL/YC/Poly. We received the info about the Poly pool from our travel agency about 5 or 6 weeks ago, no other resort pools as an option & only single day water park passes to BB with transport/priority entrance/towel - definitely not multiple days.

The CMs on the phones at WDW are often "out of the loop" to say the least. I had one tell me back in December that I was dealing with the resort directly (Pop Century) I used the phone number for the resort I found with the address when I googled it.
I was requesting a roll away cot for our room at 7 days out from our arrival. He assured me that everything was all set & that my request was on my account & all was confirmed and the cot would be in our room when we arrived. I had no reason to doubt him, he was awesome to deal with over the phone. well.. we arrived and no roll away. The CM on the front desk said that there was no request on our file at all. I explained the phone call... she said that I had not been speaking to the resort directly, and left it at that. The CM on the desk arranged for the roll away with housekeeping & all was well after that.

I may have missed this in the pages of updates on the pool refurb, but is there any word on the hot tubs? Will they be closed too, or is that a big MAYBE since it will depend on when that 'section' of the pool deck is being worked on? Are there hot tubs by the villas pool? Oh if only I had bought that crystal ball at the last Ren Faire... :rotfl2:

DD and I had the same discussion about AKL today. She is bummed because she had planned on spending a few afternoons at the pool. However to be honest I did not see that happening. They have the water park and more option so I do not see much hotel pool time.

We are both glad that she booked a standard room. However in the end she decided to stay at WL. They have 2 meals booked at Whispering Canyon, 2 at Park Fair and 1 at Chef Mickeys. It will be easier going to these ADRs from WL than AKL.

I also told her about Kooks list of other things that can be done at WL. I really want them to see the Water Parade.

I looked up the number. 407-824-3200. The gal answered Wilderness Lodge and when I asked if she was WL or call center, she said WL. She was very nice.

I'm sorry, and I don't want to burst your hope but that is not the number to the Wilderness Lodge. That number goes to a Call Center. The cast members in the Call Center can see the number you are calling and will answer with the appropriate resort. I have a friend who used to work there.

But, with all the information that is going around now. The powers to be may be updating them with the proper info. What will happen is that every morning they get a "newsletter". The fact that some cast knows what is happening is because they read the newsletter. The ones that don't are usually the ones that will have no clue.

Like someone said, we will really not know how good or bad it is until it begins and we get first hand reports back.

Wow, lately I don't check the boards for a day and ten more pages pop up. Just caught up on all the frenzy, thanks to all for the great info. Think we are staying put for now. We are really only there for 3 full days before heading to bwi so the villa pool should be ok. May jump ship of AP rates at BLT or Poly get us closer to WL prices, if not c'est la vie we will be in disney!!'!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you had to change, but I hope that you have a great time at ASMu. Adding the DDP and passes is a nice enhancement. And, to anyone else who has made a a change from WL/VWL, I hope you have a wonderful vacation. As long as you're going to WDW, all is good and a 'new and improved' WL will be there for a future stay.

Thanks WDWKOOK! We're super excited to try some of the signature dining restaurants without the kids. And some time at BB to just float the lazy river and chill sounds amazing! We're saving WL for June 21, 2015. Already have my room only, hoping to get CL. It wasn't avail when I called.

I love Sturdy Branches! (Both the gym and massages). I have always had wonderful massages there. My favorite was the deep tissue/targeted that I had over Christmas. It was heavenly and I highly recommend it. They offer DVC and AP discounts, too and are less expensive than the "spas."

Thank you for the response. We will stick with Sturdy Branches.

I may have missed this in the pages of updates on the pool refurb, but is there any word on the hot tubs? Will they be closed too, or is that a big MAYBE since it will depend on when that 'section' of the pool deck is being worked on? Are there hot tubs by the villas pool? Oh if only I had bought that crystal ball at the last Ren Faire... :rotfl2:

There is a hot tub at the villas pool. :thumbsup2

It is the host site of the DISboards.com

I can't tell you whether you should change, but the pool will re-open 11/27.

I'll make the correction. It's great you have his leave to look forward to and plans made.

Thank you for the detailed information; I'll add it to POST 2.

ITA about the OFC. The CMs are wonderful, as well as the lounge offerings, the seating area and the view of the lobby and Bay Lake:love:

Awww, thanks. I'm surprised my trip doesn't somehow overlap with yours. How many days at DLR and WDW will you be staying this year?

Thanks, Bill for the official TA news. I'm going to post this to the pool update in POST 2.

Thanks! Really looking forward to a break from reality (and some cobbler).

Welcome and please see POST 2 for WL/VWL updates.

I feel like it has been FOREVER since I've been to WDW since I had to cancel two trips last year due to my back injury.

Upcoming trips:

Aug 16th - 31st - 4 resort split - no WL :(
Dec 2nd - 16th - offsite timeshare
April/May 2015 - no definite plans yet

Did you notice I'm not homeless in either Aug or Dec .... well may just one or two nights in Dec!!! Oh and as I was typing this I added a day to the Dec trip!! :rotfl2:

Not too bad for one AP and traveling from way out west!!!

Again kook have a wonderful vacation .... you deserve it!!! :thumbsup2

If all they plan to do is add fences, a sidewalk and kids splash pad, then maybe it won't be too bad at all.

Here is a picture of the pool area from the first page of this thread.

IMG_0567-1.jpg

There already is a sidewalk between the north wing and the pool behind the striped umbrellas and pool chairs. So putting a fence there wouldn't change things very much. The biggest change would be in the area at the bottom of the picture, between the south wing and the pool. Right now people walk between the pool and the chairs to get to the beach, the pool bar and to the boats. A fence would put the pool chairs closer to the pool and the people at the pool would have a little more privacy.

The biggest disruption looks like it would be to the kid's splash pad. That construction is probably why the main pool would be closed for a while. There is no way to reach that area without going through the pool area. At least the splash pad is set back from the pool and surrounded by trees.

I'm actually very curious to see what it all looks like when we get there in October. :)

If all they plan to do is add fences, a sidewalk and kids splash pad, then maybe it won't be too bad at all.

Here is a picture of the pool area from the first page of this thread.

IMG_0567-1.jpg

There already is a sidewalk between the north wing and the pool behind the striped umbrellas and pool chairs. So putting a fence there wouldn't change things very much. The biggest change would be in the area at the bottom of the picture, between the south wing and the pool. Right now people walk between the pool and the chairs to get to the beach, the pool bar and to the boats. A fence would put the pool chairs closer to the pool and the people at the pool would have a little more privacy.

The biggest disruption looks like it would be to the kid's splash pad. That construction is probably why the main pool would be closed for a while. There is no way to reach that area without going through the pool area. At least the splash pad is set back from the pool and surrounded by trees.

I'm actually very curious to see what it all looks like when we get there in October. :)

You are right. There is also the west end of the pool area; the walkway that goes over the springs as well as the little tunnel bridge. Something must go, I believe, to make way for a fence. I'm sure it'll all fit nicely when they are done .

While I am disappointed in a pool closure, I have the benefit of having 2 little guys (2 and 4 yo) who don't fully appreciate big pools. They are just happy getting wet. Plus, there is SO MUCH to do onsite, along with the convenience of being near MK, that I am okay with this.

I am bummed b/c I've heard so much about ambiance. I hope that a lot will shine through regardless of construction.

I am excited to hear a rumor of BB tickets b/c we had opted out of that due to budget (couldn't justify with kids our age).

So while it is not optimum, it will far outweigh a stay elsewhere, for us and our need.

Thank you for all the updates!!! It is much appreciated. And for all, whether you opt to stay or move to a resort that better fits your needs, I hope your vacation is filled with magic and pixie dust!pixiedust:

DH and I are not big pool users so we won't be changing our reservation in mid November. We really enjoy the interior of the lodge so much that I don't think the construction will bother us all that much. I do feel for those with kids who love their pool time. That would be so disappointing. I hope we can get a room away from the construction noise but as long as they aren't banging away at night we should be OK. We spend most of our time at the parks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter