Class of 2021 Parents

Our formal is at a local banquet hall, kids drive themselves (they can get provisional licenses at 17, but no one bothers with the 1 passenger rule, including cops, since they’re so old already). The prom is at a huge fancy wedding hall, no one drives, just limos and party buses, that usually take the kids to the poconos or prom houses down the shore for the weekend. They used to have the formal at the HS, a lot more work, and the price was the same (around $60 pp).

It's been a whirlwind couple of months for us, too. DD is gearing up for prom at the end of March. She's visited four colleges thus far (Duke, Mizzou, Concordia - Austin and UNC... UNC is the only one she's ruled out already), we have one planned for Spring Break (TCU) and we have three more to do this summer (Samford, UAB and Alabama). She took the ACT in December and scored well enough to get in most places and even get some merit-based scholarships, but is taking it again in June and taking the SAT in May. I was fearful that homework would keep her so busy this year, but it's been a light load, thus far. She is about to start her Junior Thesis, though, so she will be a little busier for the next few months.

It's definitely getting hectic, that's for sure!! DD also met with her counselor today to finalize next years classes, and he was asking her about college and what she planned to do. He was definitely impressed that she has done college visits, pretty much finalized her colleges she's applying to and all. :)

It's been a whirlwind couple of months for us, too. DD is gearing up for prom at the end of March. She's visited four colleges thus far (Duke, Mizzou, Concordia - Austin and UNC... UNC is the only one she's ruled out already), we have one planned for Spring Break (TCU) and we have three more to do this summer (Samford, UAB and Alabama). She took the ACT in December and scored well enough to get in most places and even get some merit-based scholarships, but is taking it again in June and taking the SAT in May. I was fearful that homework would keep her so busy this year, but it's been a light load, thus far. She is about to start her Junior Thesis, though, so she will be a little busier for the next few months.

By UNC, do you mean Chapel Hill? I'm curious, because it's my DD's #1 pick. We have a local branch--she could literally walk there--but she's adamant that she wants to go away to school (and we support that). What did your DD not like about it?

As to proms, my DD is going to 2, with the same friend. I got her a gorgeous gown at a thrift store for $6--I'm willing to pay full freight for one dress, but not two, and although they'll have different venues, it's the same date, so she needs 2 different dresses.

By UNC, do you mean Chapel Hill? I'm curious, because it's my DD's #1 pick. We have a local branch--she could literally walk there--but she's adamant that she wants to go away to school (and we support that). What did your DD not like about it?

As to proms, my DD is going to 2, with the same friend. I got her a gorgeous gown at a thrift store for $6--I'm willing to pay full freight for one dress, but not two, and although they'll have different venues, it's the same date, so she needs 2 different dresses.
My Dd did not like UNC chapel hill, I think she thought there were too many students there from NC😂. My niece didn’t like it either (she’s from IL), but Wake Forest is her top pick. No one here will wear the same dress twice even with different dates (thank you social media), but borrowing is very common.

My Dd did not like UNC chapel hill, I think she thought there were too many students there from NC😂. My niece didn’t like it either (she’s from IL), but Wake Forest is her top pick. No one here will wear the same dress twice even with different dates (thank you social media), but borrowing is very common.

Yeah, my DD wants to be a lawyer, we've been emphasizing saving money on undergrad, so she has funds left for law school (or grad school, if she goes a different way).

I'm sure there will be borrowing of dresses down here. I think I mentioned, my older DD left dresses at home when she moved out. Problem is, she's 5'2", while DD16 is 5'6", and the difference is all in the legs. So, my younger DD looks like a stork in dresses that looked fine on my older DD. But, I'm sure we can work something out with her friends, and I AM willing to buy one dress at retail.

Yeah, my DD wants to be a lawyer, we've been emphasizing saving money on undergrad, so she has funds left for law school (or grad school, if she goes a different way).

I'm sure there will be borrowing of dresses down here. I think I mentioned, my older DD left dresses at home when she moved out. Problem is, she's 5'2", while DD16 is 5'6", and the difference is all in the legs. So, my younger DD looks like a stork in dresses that looked fine on my older DD. But, I'm sure we can work something out with her friends, and I AM willing to buy one dress at retail.
We have similar issues, Dd18 is just over 5’2”, dd17 5’6”. Fortunately Dd18 loves wearing 5” heels, and her dress was still dragging on the ground a bit. I might need to get dd16 a different pair of shoes, although she likes really high heels too. They both wear a size 2 and a 6 1/2 shoe, a blessing and a curse (blessing when they lived in the same house, a curse when Dd18 went away to college and they had to divide clothing and shoes).

I think there are more girls who would want to go to Prom with friends than there are boys, at least here. Our prom is set up so that the Juniors plan and fund the prom for the Seniors, Juniors and Seniors can buy tickets, but lower classmen can't attend unless they're invited by an upper classman.

They don't have a junior prom here. I guess there are juniors going to the senior prom, though, as dates.

I think DS has his classes finalized with his counselor. He will be doing Dual Enrollment through a local college (online) for Calculus 2 (AP Statistics doesn't interest him and they don't offer AP Calculus BC at his school, just AB, which is what he's taking now), so that will be a new process for me having to enroll him and paying those fees.

Big news! We found out last Monday that DS scored a 36 (in all sections) on his ACT that he took last month! One and done for him -- so proud!

They don't have a junior prom here. I guess there are juniors going to the senior prom, though, as dates.

I think DS has his classes finalized with his counselor. He will be doing Dual Enrollment through a local college (online) for Calculus 2 (AP Statistics doesn't interest him and they don't offer AP Calculus BC at his school, just AB, which is what he's taking now), so that will be a new process for me having to enroll him and paying those fees.

Big news! We found out last Monday that DS scored a 36 (in all sections) on his ACT that he took last month! One and done for him -- so proud!
Lucky you! Mine got a 30 and 32, so unless they get a 1500 on the next SAT, I’m signing them up again. Besides AP BC calc and AP stat, I don’t think my kids have decided on classes. Dd wants to take this Spanish film class which might be Spanish 6 since she has AP Spanish this year. Maybe ds is taking AP Spanish. The school’s AP macroeconomics teacher is retiring, he’s fantastic, so that is a crapshoot. Regular English 4 is a given, not their strongest subject! Dd‘s favorite class in high school was AP stat, her sisters loved it too.

Wow! Congrats!

My DD who didn't spend too much time preparing got a 31. I think she could maybe do better but since she has her sights set on a technical degree at a junior college (band instrument repair) she won't be taking it again. She needed a 22 to get that school's Presidential scholarship.

Mine has her classes decided too, English at the community college across the street, AP Environmental science, physics, AP Chinese 6(she swears that is easy :oops:), college math, 1/2 year economics(required).
She wants to do environmental science or environmental law.

Ugh, our SAT’s cancelled, I think online school starting Monday. All soccer cancelled this weekend, looks like upcoming college visits are a no go. Dd18 and ds21 coming home tomorrow, their going online after break. Thank goodness it’s spring!

They just closed all Maryland schools for the next 2 weeks, and our spring break isn’t until April 6-10! SAT’s are March 25, so are cancelled too. So not sure what will happen here with all that.

They just closed all Maryland schools for the next 2 weeks, and our spring break isn’t until April 6-10! SAT’s are March 25, so are cancelled too. So not sure what will happen here with all that.
I’m in Maryland too and trying to find out about tomorow’s SAT, no official word. The local community college has gone to online but campus is still open so I wonder I they’re just cancelling all testing or transferring people there. DS was going to take them at a high school. He also is signed up for lifeguard recert classes that I’m sure now will be cancelled. Which throws a wrench into summer, if pools can even open. I’m also worried about AP testing, wonder about the April 4 ACT and we have/had an international vacation planned for end of May. Sigh.

Luckily we have gotten some college visits in already, but not all of them.

My DS who goes to UMd will be home for a few weeks starting today and my work is going to all telework starting next week. DH doesn’t know yet but will probably be similar. All of us in the house...send wine for him and chocolate for me! At least I have plenty of toilet paper if not sanity ;).

Last edited:
I’m in Maryland too and trying to find out about tomorow’s SAT, no official word. The local community college has gone to online but campus is still open so I wonder I they’re just cancelling all testing or transferring people there. DS was going to take them at a high school. He also is signed up for lifeguard recert classes that I’m sure now will be cancelled. Which throws a wrench into summer, if pools can even open. I’m also worried about AP testing, wonder about the April 4 ACT and we have/had an international vacation planned for end of May. Sigh.

Luckily we have gotten some college visits in already, but not all of them.

My DS who goes to UMd will be home for a few weeks starting today and my work is going to all telework starting next week. DH doesn’t know yet but will probably be similar. All of us in the house...send wine for him and chocolate for me! At least I have plenty of toilet paper if not sanity ;).
I’ve tried to stock up on tp with 7 of us all in the house!

Our SAT's are cancelled for this Saturday. We were so close I thought she'd get them in. Originally spring break wasn't until April but they moved it up to next week. Then they are tacking on our 3 unused snow days. Then they start remote learning. The next SAT session is the day after junior prom (if prom is still on) as well as AP testing starting then. We also had college visits planned for spring break. So I guess we will have to do those in the fall which will be challenging trying to fit them in with everything else. Oh well! Good luck everyone! Be well!

Our school just announced yesterday closed for 2 weeks. My office just announced yesterday work from home for next week then re-evaluate.

My college freshman DS just started spring break they were saying we plan to have you back 3/23 but Bring home books in case we go online. They finally decided Thursday night to go online until further notice. All students who can leave must leave. He’s came home last night. His school says they know some kids might struggle with online classes so they are offering pass/fail option instead of grades. Not sure on the details of that yet.

My college senior is at a SUNY school. The governor announced all SUNYs closed for semester but her school says they are doing 3 weeks of online classes after break this week and keeping campus open the entire time. She’s in an on campus apartment so she’s staying there.

with my oldest we did college tours her junior year April spring break. With my middle he didn’t pick schools to visit until the summer after junior year and early fall.

My HS class 2021 visited 2 schools last summer and has already been accepted to her top choice. She already took ACT and not taking any APs this year so this break might bore her but not too impactful for her.

2 cases in our county, DD16 is hoping that they cancel school, but nothing yet. Our spring break is the first week in April, I think, I don't know if they'll move it. My DS22 had break this week, no school next week, and online school the week(s?) after that.

DD16's trip to Italy in June has been cancelled, and there are rumors about the prom being cancelled, as well. She's in the IB program, and the kids were talking about having an "IB Prom" somewhere. Which sounded like a really good idea...until I heard that our house had been floated as a possible location!

Everything I posted about the other day of course is not happening. SAT and the makeup date cancelled. April ACT date postponed to June. Lifeguarding recert not happening anywhere. All restaurants, gyms and movie theaters in the state are closing as of 5 p.m. tonight. Everyone is working from home. My high schooler is a runner, went out today and I think is doing some AP World homework right now but otherwise he'll be happy on YouTube until the world ends. My college student just came back from a walk and is already bored and not happy to be home. His online classes don't start up for another two weeks. I am wondering how long until we all really drive each other crazy. DH and I already had a fight about work space. It won't be long before I will need tp, milk and eggs. I have a feeling we won't be going on our London vacation and don't know the details about the plane tickets we already bought. Kind of don't even want to look right now :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter