• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Child ruins every picture!

i hope you never tell her you think she ruined your pictures. What a harsh thing to say about your own granddaughter...

No, No, No! I would have told her she ruined your pictures. It is harsh, but kids need to learn how to behave, take direction, and manners. If she continued the behavior after being told to stop, I would physically remove her from the next photo lineup. Adults have to take charge.

Seriously? Now people are worried about little pumpkin's self esteem because her family was upset that she made faces in all the pictures? Seriously? In no way is it a harsh statement that her making faces ruined the pictures. It is truth. It would only be "harsh" if you said that about something she couldn't control - like a blink.

It's a sad day when someone thinks it's perfectly fine for an adolescent to make faces in all of grandma's pictures and no one should call her out on it. That is the normal thing to do. The healthy thing to do. So normal that it would be very odd not to be mad about it.

The really evil thing to do would be to pretend not to notice the faces and act like that was what she was what she always looks like. Then put the pictures up in your living room and point them out whenever anyone comes over. I would find that pretty tempting, actually. Tempting, but sometimes you have to actually protect your child from some of the consequences of their actions. Maybe she'd take that behavior to school and try it out for the yearbook. Punishment and normal anger and/or disappointment to extinguish a behavior is a way of protecting them from having to learn the harder way.

Kids mug for the yearbook pictures all the time--not sure that is particularly going to bother them.

Maybe grandma could get together with dgd and say "I wanted a good family picture but someone couldn't stop being silly! Let's see if we can fix this" and go through pictures together to find one to photo shop in or maybe she would like to take a new picture.

Point is gotten across without making such a fuss. Sometimes with this age, working together on a problem works better than trying to shame her.

I have two children and I've worked with children of all ages and abilities for years. I'm really having a hard time imagining a child who was "mugging for the camera" and then asked several times to quit, and asked in the right way, who absolutely refused to stop. If they're uncomfortable I could see them, after being asked to stop, not smiling or looking a little perturbed. I just cannot imagine one, outside of being manic and needing medication, completely not stopping.

It's only been recently that I have managed decent pictures of my nephews (16 just turned 17). The ring leader of that though is their FATHER who also seems to need to act up in any picture (he's over 50). None of them need medication or are mentally unstable. It's just their personality. Annoying, yes very much so, but who they are. So no formal pictures during those years and that's just the way it is. I tended to take the pictures, salvage what I could and then just walk away. It wasn't worth my blood pressure and later when they ask why the pictures are few and far between I'll tell them that they ruined those pictures and I'm using them as wrapping paper at their weddings.

Last edited:

It's only been recently that I have managed decent pictures of my nephews (16 just turned 17). The ring leader of that though is their FATHER who also seems to need to act up in any picture (he's over 50). None of them need medication or are mentally unstable. It's just their personality. Annoying, yes very much so, but who they are. So no formal pictures during those years and that's just the way it is. I tended to take the pictures, salvage what I could and then just walk away. It wasn't worth my blood pressure and later when they ask why the pictures are few and far between I'll tell them that they ruined those pictures and I'm using them as wrapping paper at their weddings.

I guess I've been very lucky never to have met such annoying people, who wouldn't stop after a nice, sincere plea.

Found a picture from a trip to WDW in 95. It was a trip with my parents and my sister and her family. My DH didn't go so there were 10 of us. This was before Photo Pass photographers. We went to see the Wilderness Lodge and while we were looking around, we decided to do a group picture while there. Since no one else was around my mom took the first of everyone but her and then my dad took the next one. In both pictures you would think we were having the worst time. Not a smile in either picture of 9 people. I don't remember if this was after a bad day at MGM or not. But we couldn't believe that both pictures had no one smiling.

Lady Luck's own tot. Your extended family took a trip to WDW and you're upset that your 12 year old granddaughter acted her age?

And I get that but does a 12 year old? If you say to a 12 year old, "its not all about you, grandma wants these pictures to be nice" most are at least going to think "so why is it all about her?".

I have to wonder, how many pictures were actually taken? Sometimes in the rush to get our money's worth, we can really over do the whole picture thing. Heck, I start wanting to "mug" for the camera after awhile.

Oh, and I don't think its really fair to call the kid a brat. We don't know how it all really went. But its not about stifling anything. I think that for some of us it just really is not a big deal.

Well my boys would never have the nerve to think or say that, esp if she is paying and even if she is not they respect their grandparents because we have taught them to respect their elder. Respect those people who helped and did things for them their whole life. They can manage a nice face, maybe not a smile but certainly a nice look.

I am the editor of our school's K-12 yearbook. I also have done the memory book that is just for 8th graders once before and I doing it again this year. I take TONS of candid/semi posed shots. I dont take the class pictures. A lot of my pictures wind up on the school facebook page and website which is used for marketing. Anyway, I struggle every year with kids making faces. The yearbook does not want these photos in there, the parents dont, and the principal doesnt. It doesnt sell yearbooks. I am quite familiar with the middle school crowd and in this day and age, most of them cant wait to be in a picture, of course the girls need to fix their hair real quick etc. But none of them say they dont want to be in the picture but if they do then they can step out. But there are a few esp for the 8th graders where this is not an option and they need to learn to behave bc I can guarantee that their parents will be ticked off if they are excluded from the picture. I get grief when the kid is absent! The middle school crowd can take their gazillion selfies with their tongues out and duck faces galore on their own time. When I ask them to take a nice picture, I need them to cooperate. It is 9 time out of 10 the same brat who will not cooperate until I call them out and say enough, you are ruining it for everyone else.

We recently took a big family vacation to the World. We had the Memory Maker package and so took a number of group photos. Our 12 year old grandaughter ruined every single one by mugging for the camera. Nothing anyone said would stop her. Parents of 12 year old daughters - what do you think? I didn't make a big issue of this at the time, but we just got the pictures back and it's really irritating to realize we don't have one decent picture.

Perhaps you should have made an issue out of it because now you have a bigger problem. What do you do?
Do you chastise the child now because not one adult in the group could handle one 12 year old tween? Embarrass her now because no one thought that this would be a problem later? Or do you let it go and resent your granddaughter? I have a 14 YO DGD and have taken multiple tween and teen family members on vacation. They are not always pleasant, but each one understood that when Auntie Nancy says "Stop" I mean "STOP". I would never place mayo one of us in a situation that ends up resenting them or that undermines an adult's authority.

I take my DGD with me a lot. She understands that I love Tween behavior, but I also have an expectation that she will listen when I ask her too. This does not mean that I am a harsh taskmaster, I have enjoyed her antics as she acted like a tween does, and loved that her parents have been tuned inside out....JUSTICE!!! LOL!!! But I have no sympathy when adults in a group cannot control behavior. My DD would have put a quick stop to the "mugging" if that is what happened.

I don't know what you meant though, yo never told us what that was. One thing I caution you though, she may not have been mugging. She may have been tying to pose.....as many kids do when they are going into themselves.

I wouldn't have let Snowflake go that far. After one or two stunts like that, when she'd been politely asked to stop making faces, she'd have been told to stop. In front of everyone. As long as necessary to get the point across. Let her mug for her cell phone, or that of her parents. It's not appropriate for a Memory Maker package and it was rude to continue doing so after be asked to stop. Her parents should have made her stop. Unless she is seriously special needs, it's not that hard. Red Foreman could have done it easily.

I know. If this was an issue, why was it not stopped? I do nto understand how kids can simply ignore their parents. Or their Nana. Not in my family.

Me, too!

(I don't know about anyone else, but I see something terrifying in the reoriented eyes of the "fixed" photo. It's a wee bit of the Uncanny Valley.)

I love it!

LOL! I just wanted to point out our MM photos. WE took a tip in August and the little family on our Steet came with us. My precious 7 YO Princess was a mess. She did not know it, and to this day her pictures are all similar to the one posted pre fix. LOL! Alice taught her to pose so in every single shot after her "lesson" she posed just like Alice, and as she plans her smile, well....... She is stinkin cute! She worked hard in each picture and I would not change one thing. Someday she may have a word with us, but I proudly post all her pictures, frame them and love that we have a memory of her in this stage of her life. I wil say that her pics were nowhere the extreme of those eyes though!

I have a niece who insisted on making a "brat" face in every picture. She started to make faces in my daughter's wedding photos (she was in the party). Her mother told sternly to knock it off and smile normally. She did but only because she knew that there would be consequences if she didn't. Yanking her off to the side and excluding her from the pictures would have been the next step.
Getting the entire family together for and event, whether it be a wedding, trip to WDW or whatever, is becoming more and more difficult as kids grow up and move away. So every family photo is precious. You don't get a "do over". So yes, one kid being a brat and purposely ruining all photos IS a big deal.

Knowing that kids like to have crazy faces in pictures I usually told my kids, cousins, kids friends, nieces/nephews that we were going to take a nice picture and a crazy picture, and I never had them act out (except that one time that one was really being a brat because he was upset at some small thing -- and later he came and apologized to me, and I thanked him for his apology, but at the time I also realized he was upset, so didn't push him when I was taking the picture, just gave him a hug when he came to me). I realize I've been pretty lucky, but it worked for me/us. It's a bummer when trying to get that one nice picture and someone won't cooperate for every picture, regardless of age.

Well my boys would never have the nerve to think or say that, esp if she is paying and even if she is not they respect their grandparents because we have taught them to respect their elder. Respect those people who helped and did things for them their whole life. They can manage a nice face, maybe not a smile but certainly a nice look.

I am the editor of our school's K-12 yearbook. I also have done the memory book that is just for 8th graders once before and I doing it again this year. I take TONS of candid/semi posed shots. I dont take the class pictures. A lot of my pictures wind up on the school facebook page and website which is used for marketing. Anyway, I struggle every year with kids making faces. The yearbook does not want these photos in there, the parents dont, and the principal doesnt. It doesnt sell yearbooks. I am quite familiar with the middle school crowd and in this day and age, most of them cant wait to be in a picture, of course the girls need to fix their hair real quick etc. But none of them say they dont want to be in the picture but if they do then they can step out. But there are a few esp for the 8th graders where this is not an option and they need to learn to behave bc I can guarantee that their parents will be ticked off if they are excluded from the picture. I get grief when the kid is absent! The middle school crowd can take their gazillion selfies with their tongues out and duck faces galore on their own time. When I ask them to take a nice picture, I need them to cooperate. It is 9 time out of 10 the same brat who will not cooperate until I call them out and say enough, you are ruining it for everyone else.
Lol mine would have never dared to say it, but I never tried to control their thoughts.
Thats interesting about the memory books. I can't say for those kids but my favorite pictures in our old yearbooks were the truly candid shots of us just being us. Can't imagine our "memories" all looking like an ad for the school. Same with dd's yearbooks and candid shots from the choir backstage or before graduation. Now of course there are always those shots were the photographer yells "website shot" and they do the pose and smile.

I can't help but wonder how so many do not seem to see a difference between 'candid' shots and 'grandma' or 'formal' shots.
Wow?????
We had DS best friend get a yearbook out, from a couple of years ago.
Plenty of candid shots... But I don't think I saw ONE 'duck face' or 'ugly face' or whatever in the actual individual school photos.

And, about acting one's age... I am thinking this girl was like 12-13... NOT two years old. :sad2:

I guess I've been very lucky never to have met such annoying people, who wouldn't stop after a nice, sincere plea.

Yes that would be lucky, but I don't consider myself unlucky. I could usually get at least one decent picture (sometimes it was a combination of smaller groups not one big picture). Personality happens, hormones happen, my VERY haha annoying big brother happens, but it wasn't my hill to die on. I do have other battles that I would indeed have a come to Jesus meeting with them, but that wasn't one of them.

Okay. A 12 year old not ceasing a behavior when she was told to stop is a 12 year old NOT acting her age.

There is a huge difference between a candid shot and a posed picture. In a candid shot you expect to get someone acting naturally.

If the picture was snapped and it accidentally caught the child sneezing, or blinking, or yawning, or maybe even not smiling or not looking at the camera that is one thing, but deliberately making a stupid face is something else.

My kids are not DIS exceptional, but by about the age of 3 or 4 if I told them to stop doing something, they stopped doing it.

If this were my child (I don't have grandchildren) I would absolutely tell them they ruined the pictures and I would tell them why. At 12 they understand actions have consequences.

If it were my child and my mother or MIL paid for Magic Maker I would reimburse them. I don't know the ins and outs of everyone's spending habits, but to me $169 isn't a drop in the bucket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter