• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chick-Fil-A invites customers to visit for National Sandwich Day (on a Sunday)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I went to Chick-fil-A the particular location the manager on duty was out and about in the dining area picking up trays for people and dumping the contents into the trash, getting people straws and sauces and napkins, refilling drinks, having quick conversations with people and ensuring every customer had and got what they needed. That does vary by location as far as the attentiveness (and I don't know how frequently that manager does that) but I think I was more impressed that it was the manager as I just don't see that often in places.
It is nice. I've been to a couple of locations and in one, there was a manager doing it, but in another, the one I've been to more often, it's been one of the regular staff, i.e. a non-manager. Always friendly, helpful, and busy though!

You are absolutely correct - I definitely misread that.

I guess the previous poster was mistaken, and I should have done the research - more carefully - before asserting the same.

Ahh, I think it's possible I got the two confused, since they were mentioned together in multiple articles on the topic.

As for the "see you in church," it sounds like a poster here confirmed that it happens at their location. I also recall some messaging at the Atlanta airport location when I was there on Sunday.

Ahh, I think it's possible I got the two confused, since they were mentioned together in multiple articles on the topic.

As for the "see you in church," it sounds like a poster here confirmed that it happens at their location. I also recall some messaging at the Atlanta airport location when I was there on Sunday.
What kind of messaging did you see on Sunday when they were closed?

I actually really like CFA's food, and think it is one of the better fast food chicken sandwiches - those "only two pickles" is actually the perfect ratio! I also appreciate the service and don't begrudge them being closed one day a week, no matter their reason. I'm sure the employees appreciate that and it shows. I do eat there for the food and the service and that shouldn't be seen as my endorsing ay particular philosophy on the company's part.

Marge Simpson: "We can't afford to shop at any store that has a philosophy."

I actually really like CFA's food, and think it is one of the better fast food chicken sandwiches - those "only two pickles" is actually the perfect ratio! I also appreciate the service and don't begrudge them being closed one day a week, no matter their reason. I'm sure the employees appreciate that and it shows. I do eat there for the food and the service and that shouldn't be seen as my endorsing ay particular philosophy on the company's part.

Marge Simpson: "We can't afford to shop at any store that has a philosophy."

When the money you spend at an establishment goes towards funding questionable practices, then it’s definitely an endorsement. You’re pretty much contributing to their causes.

Now, I suggest trying out Popeyes Chicken Sandwich. It’s so much better. And there is less guilt other than potentially higher cholesterol.

What kind of messaging did you see on Sunday when they were closed?

I don't recall, it was awhile ago now. They weren't simply closed, though, they had signage up with someone in charge's picture on it.

Either way, I'm not super opposed to the "closed on Sunday" thing in practice, I think it's great that some businesses have built in days where they don't have to go to work (though I've found that at one of the ones in my neighborhood, that means the staff is not allowed to ask for OTHER days off during the week, which isn't great). It's just that everyone knows WHY they are closed and it becomes A Thing and that makes me feel weird. But whatever. Not that big a deal. I'm more concerned with the donations and don't really care to go to an establishment that has been that open about such things. Not everyone is going to feel the same!

When the money you spend at an establishment goes towards funding questionable practices, then it’s definitely an endorsement. You’re pretty much contributing to their causes.

Now, I suggest trying out Popeyes Chicken Sandwich. It’s so much better. And there is less guilt other than potentially higher cholesterol.

Well, I hope that you know every donation that every company you patronize makes. Chances are that the companies and individuals at those companies give money to causes and groups that you don't like. It's almost guaranteed. Personally, I can separate myself from that and my comment was only intended to agree with other posters who have said that nobody should make assumptions about someone's beliefs just because they ate at CFA.

The last time I went in Popeye's the floor was so coated with grease that I felt like I was walking on an ice rink. I have always found them to be inconsistent - okay, but not that great. I have not tried the chicken sandwich and will not wait in a huge line just to try it. Maybe when the fuss dies down.

Last edited:
Well, I hope that you know every donation that every company you patronize makes. Chances are that the companies and individuals at those companies give money to causes and groups that you don't like. It's almost guaranteed. Personally, I can separate myself from that and my comment was only intended to agree with other posters who have said that nobody should make assumptions about someone's beliefs just because they ate at CFA.

The last time I went in Popeye's the floor was so coated with grease that I felt like I was walking on an ice rink. I have always found them to be inconsistent - okay, but not that great. I have not tried the chicken sandwich and will not wait in a huge line just to try it. Maybe when the fuss dies down.

Most companies don’t make political statements with their donations to cause them to come up in the news. Most don’t get kicked out of malls as a result.

Most companies don’t make political statements with their donations to cause them to come up in the news. Most don’t get kicked out of malls as a result.

So you are basically saying, "its ok if they donate to these organizations, they just have to keep it a secret". That somehow makes it better?

Chick Fil A has ALWAYS been exactly what they claim to be--a family oriented, Christian company. Now, I, personally think, that they should be careful to donate to causes that would include ALL families and ALL Christians and ALL people period. But, its not my money to donate to anyone. And they have a right to their beliefs. They have money to burn and choose to give it to organizations that you or I may not agree with and well, its their money.

I would bet that most companies like, Popeye's, McDonald's, Burger King and the like donate to a LOT of charities and if you look hard enough you will find charities that you do not agree with . They just don't talk about it. Add to the fact, that, just like our McD's here, a lot of these places are franchises and they have individual owners that probably donate to their own list of charities. So then you have more that you may not agree with.

Its their money. They made it. Its theirs. They get to give it to anyone they darn well please.

And besides, while you are judging their beliefs (or the beliefs of the CEO not exactly "them" but "his") --maybe look at the tremendous amount of good things they have done.

After reading all the debate, maybe I'm glad there isn't a Chick-Fil-A in my town. :rotfl: I don't need the pressure of wondering whether or not it means something every time I want a sandwich (or wondering who's watching and secretly giving me points for either supporting or boycotting them.)

I figure a business is a lot like a person. It's a matter of weighing the good things about them against the bad things, and deciding where to balance the teeter totter.

I actually like some of the things on Popeye's menu, but the one nearest us just does not run a clean kitchen, so I won't be trying that anytime soon either.

I actually like some of the things on Popeye's menu, but the one nearest us just does not run a clean kitchen, so I won't be trying that anytime soon either.

Yes, in all fairness, there is one Popeye's that is less convenient to me that did seem much cleaner, and I swear the woman who took my order was exactly like the lady on the commercials (she said "what kinda sauce do you want, baby?" :) So southern!). The service there was great, but I didn't find the chicken to be much better than elsewhere fast food wise. If I want truly great fired chicken, I'm in Memphis, so we have Gus's!

One of my husband's high school jobs was to professionally clean kitchens.

Popeye's restaurants were the worst. In 30 years, we have not gone to a Popeyes together because he was so grossed out.(Daughter and I have a couple of times.)

Until yesterday. We were traveling and I mentioned that the sandwich was back and daughter and I wanted to try it. A while later he suggested we try a sandwich at a new Popeyes along our route. He trusted that the kitchen would be in better shape than long established ones.

Glad we tried the non spicy sandwich. Nice piece of chicken on a lot of bread, but nothing special to any of us.

Will still go to our local chic fil a if we want a chicken sandwich. I do like their wraps, salads, and their chicken noodle soup comes close to my own. I told dh if I'm ever too sick to make my own chicken noodle soup to get chic fil a's for me.

Might get tenders at our local Popeyes if dh isn't with us.

Of all of them (Popeyes, Chic fil a, Canes) we love a Zaxby's salad the best.

We tried a Culver's this summer. It was standard fast food in service and selection. Did like the cheese curds. But I prefer the Cookout over Culver's and the Cookout has cheese bites now.

One of my husband's high school jobs was to professionally clean kitchens.

Popeye's restaurants were the worst. In 30 years, we have not gone to a Popeyes together because he was so grossed out.(Daughter and I have a couple of times.)

Until yesterday. We were traveling and I mentioned that the sandwich was back and daughter and I wanted to try it. A while later he suggested we try a sandwich at a new Popeyes along our route. He trusted that the kitchen would be in better shape than long established ones.

Glad we tried the non spicy sandwich. Nice piece of chicken on a lot of bread, but nothing special to any of us.

Will still go to our local chic fil a if we want a chicken sandwich. I do like their wraps, salads, and their chicken noodle soup comes close to my own. I told dh if I'm ever too sick to make my own chicken noodle soup to get chic fil a's for me.

Might get tenders at our local Popeyes if dh isn't with us.

Of all of them (Popeyes, Chic fil a, Canes) we love a Zaxby's salad the best.

We tried a Culver's this summer. It was standard fast food in service and selection. Did like the cheese curds. But I prefer the Cookout over Culver's and the Cookout has cheese bites now.
I haven’t tried that non spicy one, but everyone I know who agrees it’s so good has only eaten the spicy. And the spicy is not that spicy. It’s less spicy than their spicy chicken imo.

It's true about their customer service. It is top notch. Mostly young people too which is nice to see as compared to what one can see working at other fast food places, tattooed pierced drop outs mostly, in Fla anyway.
There are non in the area I've been spending most of my time at. Was in Dallas airport four times in the last few weeks. There is one there and I was looking forward to stopping in but couldn't due to time. I'll be where there are plenty in a few weeks and am definitely going to get my fill.
Chickfillet definitely does hire "clean cut, All American types".

Know who else does this? Disney. Since this is a Disney board, I assume most posters see this as a positive.
I find it insincere. YMMV
Eh, disagree. I teach high school, so many of my students work at fast food places, and I've noticed that my "nicer kids" do tend to work at CFA -- they're not faking. Many, though not all of them, are religious, but all are NICE. I see the same thing at Food Lion.

Additionally, kids who are long-term planners like to work at CFA. Why? Because they give scholarships to their employees who've been with them X amount of time. Pretty much any employee can earn the scholarships; they just have to have worked for CFA long enough.
Also, now that I have a kid, they have the BEST kid toys out of all the fast food places
Not everyone knows this: CFA allows you to "trade in" a kid's toy (unopened, of course) for an ice cream cone. My girls LOVED that choice when they were little.
The sauce is good, I'll give 'em that, but you can get good sauce lots of places, particularly ones that aren't so preachy they have to apologize for not being open on Sunday.
CFA isn't preachy. They state a fact in their stores -- it's something like this: We are closed on Sundays so that our employees may attend church and spend time with their families. Please enjoy our food the other six days of the week. They DO NOT say anything like, "And if you don't do the same or believe what we believe, you're going to hell." They just state their policy and their reason -- surely no Americans are against their right to make a decision and politely make it public.
They say things like "see you at church" when they're closed on Sunday? They put bible verses at the bottom of their soda cups?
No, having eaten more CFA food than I'd like to admit -- today, in fact -- I can assure you of two things: 1) No employee has ever said, "See you at church" to me. 2) They do not put bible verses on their soda cups; however, Cookout DOES do that, and I drink loads of their .99 iced tea.
They have to shove their personal beliefs on others.
Again, they don't do a single thing to "shove" their beliefs on others. If you hear, "We set aside Sunday for worship and family" and take offense, you're projecting your own feelings onto that statement.
I haven’t tried that non spicy one, but everyone I know who agrees it’s so good has only eaten the spicy. And the spicy is not that spicy. It’s less spicy than their spicy chicken imo.
Okay, this is one thing I don't like about CFA: their spicy stuff -- the sandwich and the tortilla soup -- is about one step "too spicy" for me.

CFA isn't preachy. They state a fact in their stores -- it's something like this: We are closed on Sundays so that our employees may attend church and spend time with their families. Please enjoy our food the other six days of the week. They DO NOT say anything like, "And if you don't do the same or believe what we believe, you're going to hell." They just state their policy and their reason -- surely no Americans are against their right to make a decision and politely make it public.

Ehh, I don't expect people to agree with me, but the message would be fine without ever mentioning "go to church." As someone who worked a retail job and managed to also go to church, it just is kinda weird, to me, that they have to mention it unless the purpose is to draw attention to it. Either way, they mention church a lot for a chicken place, which was my illustration for why I am not super into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter