• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chef Mickey’s Buffet Returning Today..Anyone going this week that can review?

Chef Mickey food has been mediocre at best for decades. It is not about the food at all, it's about the characters, the location to the park and the "fun". Food not so much
we’ve had some less than mediocre meals across the board at WDW, starting a few years after the DP was introduced. A real shame. wouldn’t mind paying an inflated price onsite if the food was good.

as to WDW TS pricing, thinking that 5% increase per year is showing great restraint :bitelip:

also hoping to see some ‘real’ reviews here. I follow a couple of newsletters that tend to give an honest, balanced review. Paging Mr Morrow makes me smile as he’s so full of joy & not afraid of calling it as he sees it. Just save me from the self-proclaimed disney influencers;) where everything is buried in pixie dust.

Chef Mickey food has been mediocre at best for decades. It is not about the food at all, it's about the characters, the location to the park and the "fun". Food not so much
we’ve had some less than mediocre meals across the board at WDW, starting a few years after the DP was introduced. A real shame. wouldn’t mind paying an inflated price onsite if the food was good.

as to WDW TS pricing, thinking that 5% increase per year is showing great restraint :bitelip:

also hoping to see some ‘real’ reviews here. I follow a couple of newsletters that tend to give an honest, balanced review, especially Bricker. Paging Mr Morrow makes me smile as he’s so full of joy & not afraid of calling it as he sees it. Just save me from the self-proclaimed disney influencers;) where everything is buried in pixie dust.

It sounds like that is true from a few sources.

When you pay they stamp your receipt and you take that to go see Mickey. I seem to remember years ago Mickey didn't come to table, you went to meet him in front of a giant plate before you ate. Now it seems they have gone back to that except after you eat.
I have this pic on my sofa table. It was taken 16 years ago!

We were Chef Mickey people for years, it was just a tradition we started when our kids were small (so back in 2001) that we could track the photos through the years, usually with the "Chef Mickey Plate" (but no character there) at the front before eating.

At some point we switched to breakfast/brunch as it was cheaper than dinner and had some decent food.

After COVID, when it returned and went to family style, it became a new favorite for us. The food they served initially was just great, the salads, the rice, the meats...all good. We did a few trips then.

Now that it's back to buffet, and I've only seen the breakfast review and not dinner, I doubt we'll return which makes me sad. However there are so many other options, even with characters, that I'm sure we find something to replace it and make new traditions.

Ah the memories though...
ChefMickeyOct99-s.jpg
chefmickey2006_sm.JPG

chef2018.jpg

Last edited:

We enjoyed our dinner at Chef Mickey´s last month and I guess it was our last. It´s so expensive and I believe it won´t be as good as it was when it was the family style meal they were serving.

The character interaction was great for our 3 and 5 year olds.
We only did it once when our kids were young so I can’t comment on current quality of food or service.

You’re paying for the characters and the location in the contemporary, the colorful theming and artwork, monorail going by, energy, activity etc and being on the doorstep of the magic kingdom. Assuming the quality is at least “decent” I think it’s worth doing once with younger kids even at $50. They will likely remember it forever.

We only did it once when our kids were young so I can’t comment on current quality of food or service.

You’re paying for the characters and the location in the contemporary, the colorful theming and artwork, monorail going by, energy, activity etc and being on the doorstep of the magic kingdom. Assuming the quality is at least “decent” I think it’s worth doing once with younger kids even at $50. They will likely remember it forever.
It was a great experience for the kids and they remember the trip from a year ago too. If someone has little kids that are into the Fab Five it was great, anyone can walk around the Contemporary and ride the Monorail for free. It was a $300 meal with good food, just not sure the return to buffet style will have the same level of food; the menu didn´t look great to me.

I was reading a review from someone on another site that mentioned Mickey only being at the front for the photo op and he’s not going to the tables anymore with the other characters. Can anyone else confirm this is the case? I haven’t been in 10 years or so, but I don’t remember it being that way then.
The last and only time we went to CM Pluto was meeting out front and Mickey was going around to tables. Sounds like they've switched. Either way, we weren't exactly blown away with the experience overall and prefer going to Tusker House for a character meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter