Chef Art Smith, yea or nay?

I'm amused and bewildered by some of the comments about how it's too much food. I've never had a server force me to eat everything on my plate there.

Gave this place two tries...So not worth it. The place is loud & expensive for the quality. The much touted fried chicken is salty & bland, the Mac & cheese gummy with little taste. Have had better fried chicken at a fast food place. For that price, look elsewhere.

It's comfort food. Good comfort good, but still - comfort good. In our party's opinion, the place is rather overrated. Not sure why it has such the demand that it does. There's a ton of other restaurants in the Disney area that are more unique and offer something that you can't get at home.

Nay. It's Cracker Barrel with (paper) dishtowel napkins, distressed wood accents, and a bad excuse for a gift shop. Nothing on the menu is as good as it sounds. The food is carelessly made and it's strictly for the tourists. Oh, and it's three times the price of Cracker Barrel too.

We were there for the first time in June. I thought it was good, but terribly busy and slow.

7:30 ADR for dinner, almost 8 until we were seated, and 8:30 until we got our food. There were just four of us too, wasn't a large party.

I'd say worth it to try once, I wouldn't rush back. We had a couple different fried chicken dishes and pulled pork. The pork was good, I'm not a big fried food person so I can't comment much on the chicken. I liked the mac&cheese a lot.

We went in November. It was good but not amazing especially when you have access to good comfort/soul food. I can see it being a bigger hit for those who don’t get amazing fried chicken at home.

I really enjoyed the hummingbird cake. That was my favorite part.

I felt it was pretty expensive too. But the portions are huge so one entree can feed two people easily.

We've eaten there once and didn't care for it.
The mashed potatoes were so wet you could eat them with a spoon, kind of soupy!. My husband doesn't like cheese, so he didnt' eat the biscuits, but I thought they were fine. The chicken was just ok. We love good Southern food but the chicken wasn't up to par for us.
So, personal preference and soupy potatoes are the reasons we won't be back.

Nay- we went shortly after opening and don't understand the fuss. We chose to make a meal of appetizers and sides. Raved about items like the deviled eggs and mac & cheese were complete letdowns for us. Still, plenty of people seem to enjoy it, so maybe it's worth a try to form a firsthand opinion.

I find it grossly overrated. The Cracker Barrel comparison is a bit unfair imo but I found the fried chicken everyone raves about to be mid at best. The crunch was good but it was bland and woefully underseasoned--I actually think the chicken at 50s Primetime is more flavorful. I liked the sides at Homecomin better but at that price point that's a miss. I grew up on soul food though, so take that as you will. People who don't have that kind of familiarity with southern food will and probably do enjoy it more. I know I tend to enjoy Disney bbq where a lot of people from bbq country think it's awful.

If you like deviled eggs, the ones at Homecomin' really are fantastic. We went in 2018 and I still think about those deviled eggs.

Really felt it was over-hyped. The food wasn't really bad overall, but after reading glowing reviews I expected SO much more. We got the thigh high chicken biscuits and hushpuppies with pimento cheese for apps which were actually really good and lived up to the hype. Also got the fried chicken meal with mac and cheese which was actually really disappointing. Chicken was just ok and I really really didn't like the mac and cheese and that's one of my fav foods. I found it dry and greasy at the same time and it really didn't have good flavor. I just don't understand why people rave about it unless they haven't had actual good mac and cheese or it was an off day or something. If you do go, manage your expectations (especially if you live in the south and have access to good fried chicken) and I'd recommend the thigh high chicken biscuits.

It's a great choice, just make sure the menu appeals to you. But that should be the case with any restaurant.

Like all Disney restaurants, it's a hit for some and a miss for others. Try it for yourself and see which one it is for you.

Love it, I try and eat here every trip. As others have mentioned, it's a LOT of food, but you can split a plate, or just order off the appetizer menu. I had the chicken biscuits last trip off the app menu, and it was still almost too much! Their braised ribs are excellent, so is the chicken, drinks are wonderful, and leave room for the hummingbird cake.

If you can't get a reservation, you can usually get a walk up when they first open for the day.

I like to eat at the bar -bartenders there are great and take good care of you. Food has always been good in my experience ...

One of my favorite restaurants on property. The thigh high chicken biscuits, deviled eggs and buffalo cauliflower are delicious! We got every trip. Would be going this Saturday but we wanted to try the Boathouse this time instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter